• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Many issues with MSI B450M + Ryzen 3700X [help needed]

Processor Reasonably good Intel CPU
Motherboard Eh, the cheapest ATX that supports the processor
Cooling Big ass Noctua always a good thing to have
Memory Cheapest 32GB kit for my needs
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3070
Storage NVME 2x, SSD 2x, HDD 1x
Display(s) Dual monitor 1080p for life!
Case NZXT Flow
Audio Device(s) ALC something-something
Power Supply Good ol' Corsair
Mouse Good ol' Corsair
Keyboard Cheap Logitech wireless keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro
Been awhile, busy with life until my PC started acting up badly, wondering the resident tech gurus can help.

I'm using MSI B450M with Ryzen 3700X, and just bought last week LG 29WK600 to replace my LG 25UM58P. I'm very up to date with drivers and BIOS on my system, and for a week now I've been getting cold boot problem(s).

I've read on MSI forum that there's a cold boot issue with the latest BIOS, but mine goes much farther than just BIOS update. So here's my issue:

1. Can't even enter BIOS. I noticed on the onboard EZ Debug LED, it's stuck on VGA, not on memory nor CPU. I've never encountered VGA related issue.
  2. Whenever there's a cold boot AND I let my PC on for 5-10 minutes, it will finally boots to Windows 10, but my E Drive (adata su750) is disconnected.
  3. To solve the cold boot issue, I have to restart my PC several times.
  4. My monitor setup is dual monitor with LG29WK and LG22MP, one with DP and with one HDMI. I will never have a cold boot issue when unplugging the DP cable. However, if I unplugged it and plugged it in after, there's a blank display issue.
I'm on Windows Insider fast ring version, the issue with the DP blank screen might be OS related. However the VGA issue on cold boot should exempt the OS from that.

One thing I noticed from upgrading the BIOS, especially the one that supports Ryzen 3000 (the one that starts stripping the BIOS) was that whenever I boot up my PC, my GPU (Zotac RTX 2080) spins at max speed before throttling down. It never does that before the BIOS update.

It's a bit hard to pinpoint when the cold boot becomes a problem, but it's around I changed my monitor and the latest abba BIOS update several days ago. After succesfully booting into windows tho, all runs smooth, gaming, productivity, everything. Several posters on MSI forums stated that changing their power supply solves the problem... I don't know, my Corsair RM650X is just 3 years old, and even though my specs are quite beefy, I run power saver scheme like 90% of the time.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Try pluging a hdmi in as well see if it's a no screen found issue

D

Deleted member 185158

never have a cold boot issue when unplugging the DP cable. However, if I unplugged it and plugged it in after, there's a blank display issue.

If you plug the screen back in after you finally get into windows, you can go to NV control panel and force display detection, that should get your monitor to display once you've done that.

Case NZXT Flow
Mouse Good ol' Corsair
Software Windows 11 Pro
Thanks for the answers. Just curious if this is a GPU, motherboard, or PSU issue... I'm literally flailing around here.

System Name Smooth-Operator
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16@CL14 DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+
Storage 2x4TB WD HGST 7K6 7200RPM 256MB
Display(s) Samsung S24E370DL 24" IPS Freesync 75Hz
Case Fractal Design Focus G Window Blue
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe x1
Power Supply Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
Software Windows 10 x64 Enterprise/Ubuntu Budgie amd64
I would kinda guess it is most probably related to psu but... was it working ok before bios update? If yes try to downgrade bios to previous version which was working fine.

Case NZXT Flow
Mouse Good ol' Corsair
Software Windows 11 Pro
Well golly gee... I think I found the answer, the issue is with my new monitor DP connection, BIOS and installation.

Digging around old threads about multi monitor setup won't boot when connected to DP monitor is a common issue. I'm not savy about tech terms, and it's very late, have my beanie on as I'm going to bed... Seems like Monitor with DP have power delivery issue and the BIOS have something like DVI > HDMI > DP with DP port getting the last power delivery. Some folks rectify this by turning on the monitor with the DP connection first and also by disabling fast boot on the BIOS so the monitor state is on, and the DP cable connection is established.

Something about Windows installation as well, with my E drive disconnected if I let my PC sit during cold boot and finally it boots to windows by itself. Something to do with UEFI/Legacy that messes the BIOS and certain power delivery mechanics... Again, don't hold me on this, dead tired.

So, fresh install with the BIOS setting on UEFI, disable fast boot, or... Just don't connect the DP monitor when booting. I'll probably share it in the morning when I wake up and boot up my PC.

Case NZXT Flow
Mouse Good ol' Corsair
Software Windows 11 Pro
Well, just want to close this thread with a definitive solution to my problem.

Short answer, it's an SSD problem. My 2 months old adata SU750 hanged the system whenever it's plugged in. Unplugging it solved the cold boot issue. Will send to the distributor tomorrow for check.

Turns out I blamed the motherboard for nothing. Yes there was cold boot issues with MSI B450 BIOS, but the new ABBA update solved it. Confused why the SSD makes the whole system hanged like that on boot. I do notice on HWmonitor that the SSD is very hot, running 70 degrees C, I thought it's typical adata SSD, but turns out it might be a problem.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.

Short answer, it's an SSD problem. My 2 months old adata SU750 hanged the system whenever it's plugged in. Unplugging it solved the cold boot issue. Will send to the distributor tomorrow for check.

Turns out I blamed the motherboard for nothing. Yes there was cold boot issues with MSI B450 BIOS, but the new ABBA update solved it. Confused why the SSD makes the whole system hanged like that on boot. I do notice on HWmonitor that the SSD is very hot, running 70 degrees C, I thought it's typical adata SSD, but turns out it might be a problem.

i had that happen to me with a bad sata cable connection. I can't tell you how many overclocking changes I made until i randomly reconnected the drive during a rebuild.

System Name Blackbelt 2
Processor AMD FX 8350
Motherboard ASUS M5A99FX PRO R 2.0
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3 evo
Memory 8GB Corsair Value Select DDR3
Video Card(s) ASUS R7260X DC2OC 2GB
Storage INTEL 530 series SSD 120 GB, Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) DELL ST 2240L
Case Cooler Master Elite 311
Power Supply CORSAIR VS Series 550W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 6532

Dear Midiamp, I had a similar experience with a brand new 1 week old ADATA SU800 120gb SSD on a Asus B450M-A motherboard with a Ryzen 1200 processor with ABBA Bios update, i contacted a local ADATA service centre near me for RMA...I knew a guy working there and he explained that the ssd controller firmware on SU Series SSDs has some error and an update to the ssd firmware fixes it... unfortunately the update deletes all data on the ssd.....he was reluctant to explain in detail...He offered to update the firmware for free....

i went forward with the rma and got a SP580 240gb ssd drive which works perfectly..

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Dear Midiamp, I had a similar experience with a brand new 1 week old ADATA SU800 120gb SSD on a Asus B450M-A motherboard with a Ryzen 1200 processor with ABBA Bios update, i contacted a local ADATA service centre near me for RMA...I knew a guy working there and he explained that the ssd controller firmware on SU Series SSDs has some error and an update to the ssd firmware fixes it... unfortunately the update deletes all data on the ssd.....he was reluctant to explain in detail...He offered to update the firmware for free....

i went forward with the rma and got a SP580 240gb ssd drive which works perfectly..

SU huh-communist?

System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
My first SSD was a Sandisk 120GB. I had an issue where I would have to press the reset button on my case after powering the system on or it would hang during startup. It booted fine afterwards and I never had any issues using it in windows so I just dealt with it. That lasted a couple years.