• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Maps, science, data & statistics tracking of COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I must admit, I thought it strange that so many states were reopening when a few had not reached their peak, although I think Florida did reach peak certainly initially.
The general issue is that people are so skeptical of the "media" and "science" that they don't want to believe in the reported numbers at all.

As I've said before: even in my inner circle of friends, coworkers, and family... a large number of people distrust the numbers due to a variety of reasons. From anti-media bias (media didn't blame protesters), to anti-government bias ("Deep State"), to anti-science bias ("The scientists were wrong about masks (or whatever), they're probably wrong again"). The only thing to convince someone of that level of skepticism is to wait for the disease to affect them personally. In fact, a huge number of my inner-circle still believe in "herd immunity" as the best way forward. (Just get everyone sick approach).

I'm happy that my governor is looking at the numbers and actually doing a science-based approach to all this. Phase 2 is worrying me because it really seems to be a much larger reopening than the Phase1 step... but I'm pretty confident that if things go haywire, my governor / local leaders will make the correct decision to make us safe again. I'm not sure if that's true across the country however.

I have a co-worker who just went down to Florida for a week saying how great it is that no one wears a mask and everything is open. He is one these fox news watchers who states that the only reason more people are getting it is because they are testing more people. I explained to him that Florida is testing the same amount of people now as they have for the past four weeks yet numbers are still increasing every week (see linked article above). I love Florida, I have been there countless times all over the state and was married on a beach in Florida but it was easy to see everyone from Boston Chicago, and NYC were going to run down there as fast they could the second the state opened up and that idiot governor is basically embracing them with open arms while he has the highest percentage of people over 65+ in his state (florida has almost as many 65+ as Cali with half the Cali population) and lacks a medical infrastructure like those big cities to handle this.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Most Western countries (I don't class South America as Western) have falling rates. The US, for whatever reason, is rising again.

That should mean in 2-3 weeks, there will be an associated rise in fatalities. One to watch. The UK, I fear, will follow the same path as our government doesn't appear to know it's ass from it's elbow.

Untitled.png

That should mean in 2-3 weeks, there will be an associated rise in fatalities

Texas and Florida area already seeing a rise in cases, hospitalizations, and fatalities.

But once again, people don't believe in the numbers, even if you point it out. So I dunno where to bring the discussion forward beyond that. If they can't believe in the reported numbers, then there's no further discussion possible.

Talk about cases, and they counter with "testing has improved". Talk about hospitalizations or fatalities, they just counter with conspiracy theories (doctors are lying and/or encouraged to inflate COVID19 counts for money). So that's that. If its what they believe, then there's no real way to talk them out of it. There are so many counter arguments to COVID19. Its really annoying. They really don't want to believe that this problem exists at all.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
The population generally believe what is happening and take it seriously, we have loads of coverage at the local TV networks level showing stories of loss and suffering, people know it's real, we also have documentaries focussing on front line medical staff showing them near breaking point during the peak.
This should be emphasized on TV regularly so that it's ingrained in people's heads that, once the rush to hospitals with C-19 patients starts it gets really bad really fast.

Furthermore, politicians, health officials must re-enforce constantly with whatever media they choose (TV, papers, social media, etc) the need to keep the protective measures in place: just because the country is easing up it's C-19 restrictions, people can't let their guard down or it will run the risk of it going badly and have another lockdown, be it localized or not, and nobody want's that.

Also, specially directed @ politicians, but @ everyone else that speaks about the country's current situation: speak the truth so that the people you serve believe you and follow your guidance. There are a few bad examples "out there" that show us what happens when you don't, and i'll leave it @ that ...

This goes for ALL countries.

Low quality post by Regeneration

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Going today to the hospital for a wrist surgery after a sport injury. I'm not thrilled about this, but making rotatory movements is difficult for me, so there is no choice. If I don't come back it means I died from corona virus.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I said it before (elsewhere) and i'll say it again: act and conduct yourself like EVERYONE you come in contact with is an unknowingly asymptomatic infected, for as long as there is no medicine that significantly reduces the need for hospitalization or, better yet, a vaccine is found and distributed worldwide, regardless of how long that takes.

EDIT

By "you" and "yourself" i mean in general: not @ you specifically.

Considered the ramifications for that when you consider a 'cure' is never conclusive? Even a vaccine is not. Flu vaccine... we still get the flu and elderly still have a highly elevated chance of dying from that. For Covid, even vaccinated, risk groups will still exist. The percentage might drop a bit here and there, and the R-number might go down. What you WILL be seeing in the coming months is a combination of treatments that allow us to reduce the severity/impact of covid on the body and subsequently the mind (the goal will be to avoid IC).

I'm not joining in that panic mode, if you don't mind. I treat this as I do every other disease ever - its invisible and you might catch it. I know, I like living on the edge. Its pretty comfy, try it. Think long and hard, and place yourself two years from now. Are you going to be the same person? I doubt that.

At the same time, what you can 'reasonably' do, in my mind, is to get yourself tested whenever you think you might have been in a high risk area. If we all do that, we can take the sharp edge off any big spreader events and can probably go about our merry way, keeping R below 1. The biggest advantage of that approach? I'll list it for you.
1. No social awkwardness or strange behaviour.
2. You can still do whatever YOU want in total freedom to protect yourself or others.
3. No peer pressure elevates our civil rights to where they should be.
4. We will be able to accept lockdown measures and specific orders (you're a risk, please stay at home) over prolonged periods of time; I think this must be clear by now, it ain't gone tomorrow. Or ever.
5. Social unrest is kept to minimum.
6. Its fair. Right now society is full of haves and have nots. In a risk group? Lots of rules and rights don't apply for you. Imagine being in an elderly home right now. Yep. Not seeing anyone. Just wither and die, thanks. You want to keep that up? But its not just them. Suicide rates are already higher than they've ever been in many countries. Socially challenged people have even less reason or means to come into contact with others. The list is endless and the pain is everywhere. Loneliness and social distance is a killer.

What we need to do at large right now, is devise a strategy to go back to business as usual, with minimal constraints. We're slowly moving that way. Going all 'must do all I can'-mode now, is going to eat away at you faster than you might think. What will happen is more specific, directed/regional/local lockdowns and I reckon we will try to extinguish this everywhere it pops up in number.

Oh and note: ask the highest ranking virologists what they think of this... they will all agree. Yes you want to maximize protection, but not at every cost and definitely avoiding counterproductivity. Nature will have its course, whether you want it or not. The harder you press down on Covid today, the more likely you create a new one the next day. Its a struggle we won't ever win.

I'm taking all the info I see around me, and my conclusion has still not changed from the very onset of this crisis. The risk is minor, it hits the weakest link in our evolution (prolonging old age with no 'benefit' to the species, only emotional attachment), and it has all the characteristics to remain in the population, unseen. Its clearly an answer to balance out overpopulation. This is the way of nature, and that is why, it will be covid today, and covid v2 tomorrow - because we won't stop saving lives.

So that is the real end game here.

About that social unrest... its happening. The whole BLM thing for example, you can rest assured the lockdowns are a catalyst. Not a cause; but definitely a catalyst. Things are and have been brewing, we have urges. The fact they go out and take that sort of risk, says something about the importance of the subject. But it also places perspective on how bad this virus really is. So far, almost none of these protests have been superspreader events.

How about this one - note. This is Germany. With some of the more successful policies, very good testing policy, and relative freedom. And known to stick to the rules. They had to quarantine a whole flat, 120 known cases inside, 700 people. This was saturday:

Police officers injured because they wanted to break out @ Gottingen. So I'll repeat that: the social norm in this country, is you stick to the rules, no matter what. But here these same people are literally taking up arms and becoming violent against police. Normal people. Could've been one of us. So like I said. Think long and hard.

1592732095397.png

Last edited:
System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
Zero positive Latvija. Perhaps because low economy growth.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Most Western countries (I don't class South America as Western) have falling rates. The US, for whatever reason, is rising again.

That should mean in 2-3 weeks, there will be an associated rise in fatalities. One to watch. The UK, I fear, will follow the same path as our government doesn't appear to know it's ass from it's elbow.

View attachment 159618

I think UK is still 'small enough' to make changes. The US however? The way that society is divided in idea and distance is a perfect recipe for permanent coexistence with Covid. There is also no real, centralised control on a national level, another thing the UK has in spades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Low quality post by Caring1
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
If we all do that, we can take the sharp edge off any big spreader events and can probably go about our merry way, keeping R below 1.

R is clearly above 1 in many locations, and those states are refusing to do anything about it.

Arizona is an example of this: a few weeks ago Arizona had a %Positive rate of only 6%. It has now doubled and is above 12% Positive testing rate. https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...arizona-increased-hospitalization/5328560002/

Florida has also grown to 12% positive testing rates: https://www.wfla.com/community/heal...positive-as-state-adds-record-4049-new-cases/

I don't live in those states. But its clear that whatever they're doing is getting worse. Arizona acknowledges the fact by issuing emergency orders to hospitals. But they aren't doing anything to help the public... even "masks" have become a political issue and they seem to refuse to use them.

Fortunately, individual cities (ie: Pheonix) are issuing mask orders. But a state-wide mask order would command higher respect and a higher % of people would follow it. I can't believe we have to work so hard to state the obvious: a respiratory virus can be controlled by controlling breathing.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Portugal's numbers have been updated:

Screenshot from 2020-06-20 15-56-53.png Screenshot from 2020-06-21 17-48-44.png

On the left, yesterday's numbers and on the right, today's numbers (click for full picture):

- 39133 confirmed infected --- 292 more
- 25376 recovered --- 470 more
- 1530 fatalities --- 2 more
- 363133 suspected cases --- 1285 more
- 1047109 tests taken --- not updated ... again ...
- 1826 waiting for test results --- 55 more
- 30855 under watch from authorities --- 3 more
- 407 hospitalized --- 15 less
- 69 in ICU --- 1 less

Single digit daily death toll for the 16th day in a row.

On a more "closer to home" note, the county i lived in for 25 years and where my parents still reside has had an increase in confirmed cases from 66 yesterday to 91 today.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
R is clearly above 1 in many locations, and those states are refusing to do anything about it.

Arizona is an example of this: a few weeks ago Arizona had a %Positive rate of only 6%. It has now doubled and is above 12% Positive testing rate. https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...arizona-increased-hospitalization/5328560002/

Florida has also grown to 12% positive testing rates: https://www.wfla.com/community/heal...positive-as-state-adds-record-4049-new-cases/

I don't live in those states. But its clear that whatever they're doing is getting worse. Arizona acknowledges the fact by issuing emergency orders to hospitals. But they aren't doing anything to help the public... even "masks" have become a political issue and they seem to refuse to use them.

Fortunately, individual cities (ie: Pheonix) are issuing mask orders. But a state-wide mask order would command higher respect and a higher % of people would follow it. I can't believe we have to work so hard to state the obvious: a respiratory virus can be controlled by controlling breathing.

I don't live in the US - I live in the Netherlands.

Over here, mask usage is still barely happening, it is mandatory in public transportation (and note: 'non medical mask'... despite WHO recommendation lol), but a large part is avoiding it altogether. I'm among them tbh, but then I have the luxury to do so.

As for the outbreaks in states now... isn't that just a result of how the country is organized? We don't divide our country in states. We have provinces, municipalities, but local enforcement and stuff happens on different networks, and all of them are somehow centrally coordinated. It was the first thing we initiated when measures started; a national command center that had full jurisdiction over all resources.

This type of coordination happened in some countries. And virtually all of them are in the lower death count segment - China is among them too. The fragmented approach is likely a direct cause for higher death count. Makes total sense too - the New York 'surge' is now just moving to different places. All of those states are going through their own shock and awe moments just like all those countries around the world did, one by one, even with all the evidence on the table.

Italy is a nice example. They got overwhelmed and local governments each did what they could on their own for a while, with a direct result: superspreading and overwhelmed emergency services. After all, what happens when you scramble for aid? You get lots of people running around the place.

respiratory virus can be controlled by controlling breathing.

Evidence still suggests this is not the case. You can only do that locally, but the virus will not go away for it. That points to the use of protective gear in high risk areas only. The challenge here, is not 'how do we get more masks out', the challenge is localization of high risk areas, and imposing effective measures on that location only. That is also how we make it 'bearable'. Its easier to accept those measures on an incidental basis and for a specific reason. Got tested positive or awaiting test because you might be? Sit at home. Its just that simple.

Anyway... again about the damn masks lol.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
As for the outbreaks in states now... isn't that just a result of how the country is organized?

No. Its pretty clear that the conspiracy theories have taken root and that a large segment of our population refuse to take the threat seriously.

I've got family members turning off "5G" radios (confused over 2.4 GHz and 5GHz bands), blaming secret labs in China and thinking that COVID19 is a giant Democrat hoax to reduce trust in the current President. This crap is so widespread and it pisses me off significantly. This isn't one or two members either, this misinformation is widespread.

I'm frankly convinced that this mask thing is just another misinformation / conspiracy campaign. People who can't even admit that covering your mouth to protect your breathing has a chance of being useful. True, it takes a bit of understanding + training (habit forming) to use a mask properly. But its really simple: wash your hands (or sanitize with a pocket-sized alcohol spray) whenever you touch the mask (both before and after). And you're pretty much set. Cleaning is as simple as throwing it in the laundry. Its not really hard at all once you get used to it.

The virus infects the lungs: it comes from other people's lungs and the #1 risk is the virus entering through your breathing. Medical grade masks have been proven to be effective at protecting medical workers... while home-made masks cannot be proven (we are all making masks of varying quality). Nonetheless, it only makes sense that covering your mouth would help.

-----------

With that being said, a lot of people are using the wrong mask material to make their masks, and might have too much difficulty breathing. A 2-ply cotton shirt is easy enough to breath through and has proven to be 60% effective against 0.3 um aerosols (compared to 95% effective for N95 medical grade masks). But sure, pretend its 0% useful if you want, its no different than disagreements with a ton of other people I know.

Last edited:

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard

Screenshot from 2020-06-21 17-48-44.png Screenshot from 2020-06-22 23-26-36.png

On the left, yesterday's numbers and on the right, today's numbers (click for full picture):

- 39392 confirmed infected --- 259 more
- 25548 recovered --- 172 more
- 1534 fatalities --- 4 more
- 364305 suspected cases --- 1172 more
- 1047109 tests taken --- not updated ... again ... still ...
- 1782 waiting for test results --- 44 less
- 30956 under watch from authorities --- 101 more
- 424 hospitalized --- 17 more
- 72 in ICU --- 3 more

Single digit daily death toll for the 17th day in a row.

Because our official Health Site is updating later and later lately, i can't update our daily numbers before going to work like i used to and have to do it after returning from work, like today.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard

Screenshot from 2020-06-22 23-26-36.png Screenshot from 2020-06-23 23-31-17.png

- 39737 confirmed infected --- 345 more
- 25829 recovered --- 281 more
- 1540 fatalities --- 6 more
- 366777 suspected cases --- 2472 more
- 1047109 tests taken --- not updated ... again ... still ... again ...
- 1759 waiting for test results --- 23 less
- 30248 under watch from authorities --- 708 less
- 441 hospitalized --- 17 more
- 72 in ICU --- no change

Single digit daily death toll for the 18th day in a row, but that's the only good news today.

As of today, our Government has increased the restrictions on 21 parishes: it's not @ an emergency state but it's not as eased as the rest of the country. It's becoming problematic in those areas because, though our hospitalized number isn't as high as it was during the peak, it's mostly concentrated in Lisbon and Tejo River Valley, which had 299 of the 345 daily new infected cases, to the point that 3 of the local hospitals currently have over 80% capacity already filled and the remaining hospitals of the area have near 70% already.

Our situation may get worse because the measures we put in place today will only show their results 1 to 2 weeks from today. IMO, this should have been done @ least one week ago, but it's most certainly a step in the right direction.

Maryland's numbers are still on the general decline. But %Positive seems to have reached a ~5%ish minimum.

1593016442036.png

%Positive increases by 0.11 today. Hospitalizations continue to decline.

Last Friday was the first "Phase 2" reopening. But I don't expect any increases (if they happen) until ~7 to 14 days after the reopening due to the delayed nature of COVID19. I'm mostly focused on the hospitalization numbers.

Reactions: HTC

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Ah Brazil.

What happens when your idiotic leader plays down any problems (while he tries to bulldoze through the amazon - the dumb ****)

Untitled.png

Also - this is the only country we know of that 'openly' tried to suppress the release of information.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Audio Device(s) Onboard

Screenshot from 2020-06-23 23-31-17.png Screenshot from 2020-06-24 23-43-00.png

- 40104 confirmed infected --- 367 more
- 26083 recovered --- 254 more
- 1543 fatalities --- 3 more
- 368967 suspected cases --- 2190 more
- 1102066 tests taken --- 54957 more
- 1586 waiting for test results --- 173 less
- 30935 under watch from authorities --- 687 more
- 429 hospitalized --- 12 less
- 73 in ICU --- 1 more

Single digit daily death toll for the 19th day in a row, but that's the only good news today.

They finally updated the tests taken stat except ... they haven't ... fully: unless they drastically reduced the daily amount of tests taken, the number of days it wasn't updated VS the increase since the last update doesn't add up ...

View attachment 159618
If you look at that chart you will see the spikes up and down but with a general trend of the numbers going down. June might be an outlier. Time will tell.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
If you look at that chart you will see the spikes up and down but with a general trend of the numbers going down. June might be an outlier. Time will tell.

This is the update:

Untitled.png

Taking Florida as an example, you can see the surge from some states are causing this rise. It's not a blip.

Untitled.png

Number of cases is a bad statistic to work with. With so many states increasing their testing capabilities, we need to start looking at other numbers.

---------

Florida's truly bad numbers is the %Positive rate, which has shot up from 5% a few weeks ago all the way to 15% positive this week. Along with this massive increase in %positive results, Florida is seeing a spike in hospitalizations.

%Positive and hospitalization rates are independent of the number of tests taken. As such, %Positive and Hospitalization rates are closer to the truth. Looking backwards in time, number of deaths is probably the most accurate statistic, but it takes nearly two months before death counts solidify. (1 month for an infected person to die, and a 2nd month before all the statistics are gathered in the CDC for rapid analysis. Reliable results aren't for a few months after that...).

-----

The state of Florida saw a 19.97% daily positive rate for coronavirus on Wednesday.

The rate on Tuesday was 14.10%.

The latest daily data from the Florida Department of Health shows 5,511 patients out of 27,602 people tested positive for COVID-19.

Hmm, I guess on Wednesday this week, Florida spikes to nearly 20% positive rate. That's... really, really bad. Florida was famous for flaunting social distancing, with many "Spring Break" people comingling on the beaches. Florida will also be the place for the Republican National Convention in a few months. It took Maryland over a month of lockdown before our numbers improved... I'm not sure if Florida would be ready for the RNC.

Last edited:
Reactions: HTC

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Number of cases is a bad statistic to work with. With so many states increasing their testing capabilities, we need to start looking at other numbers.

---------

Florida's truly bad numbers is the %Positive rate, which has shot up from 5% a few weeks ago all the way to 15% positive this week. Along with this massive increase in %positive results, Florida is seeing a spike in hospitalizations.

%Positive and hospitalization rates are independent of the number of tests taken. As such, %Positive and Hospitalization rates are closer to the truth.

While I agree to some extent, the UK has been ramping up it's testing since April/May. Numbers still falling. So, increassed testing does not infer increase of cases. It can show a massive fall in prevalence.

Untitled.png

But, yes, the %postive is a more reflective indicator of rise/fall.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
No. Its pretty clear that the conspiracy theories have taken root and that a large segment of our population refuse to take the threat seriously.

I've got family members turning off "5G" radios (confused over 2.4 GHz and 5GHz bands), blaming secret labs in China and thinking that COVID19 is a giant Democrat hoax to reduce trust in the current President. This crap is so widespread and it pisses me off significantly. This isn't one or two members either, this misinformation is widespread.

I'm frankly convinced that this mask thing is just another misinformation / conspiracy campaign. People who can't even admit that covering your mouth to protect your breathing has a chance of being useful. True, it takes a bit of understanding + training (habit forming) to use a mask properly. But its really simple: wash your hands (or sanitize with a pocket-sized alcohol spray) whenever you touch the mask (both before and after). And you're pretty much set. Cleaning is as simple as throwing it in the laundry. Its not really hard at all once you get used to it.

The virus infects the lungs: it comes from other people's lungs and the #1 risk is the virus entering through your breathing. Medical grade masks have been proven to be effective at protecting medical workers... while home-made masks cannot be proven (we are all making masks of varying quality). Nonetheless, it only makes sense that covering your mouth would help.

-----------

With that being said, a lot of people are using the wrong mask material to make their masks, and might have too much difficulty breathing. A 2-ply cotton shirt is easy enough to breath through and has proven to be 60% effective against 0.3 um aerosols (compared to 95% effective for N95 medical grade masks). But sure, pretend its 0% useful if you want, its no different than disagreements with a ton of other people I know.

I'm going to quote you in the other covid topic ;) Let's keep it out of here.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Well, I think England's going to see a spike (note the date - we can give it a week). Although the virus is very low in the community, this sort of action is a little reckless.

This was Bournemouth in Dorset. The council said 33 tonnes of rubbish was cleaned up on Thursday morning.

And, with the second picture (the garbage), don't you just hate these people? Reprobates.

Untitled.png

Status
Not open for further replies.