• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Maps, science, data & statistics tracking of COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Again very low case numbers and relatively high deaths at 263 and 28.

Then we have a mix of scary shit, about time shit and hopefully good shit.

Reactions: HTC
Again very low case numbers and relatively high deaths at 263 and 28.

Then we have a mix of scary shit, about time shit and hopefully good shit.

If it makes you feel any better, migrant workers inside of meat-packing plants were a major source of COVID19 spread in the USA. The meatpacking workers (who are almost certainly foreigners) were encouraged to work in cramped, unsafe conditions, and the statistics basically show that meat-packing plants were the biggest source of COVID19 spread in a number of locations.

I sorta feel a bit better in that other countries are running into the same problems we faced. So... maybe you'll feel better that we dealt with the same shit, though in slightly different ways.

Last edited:
System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Pfizer and likely many other vaccine offers decent protection against the new .B1.617 viral strain.

Get your vaccine shots. Protect yourself, protect your loved ones.

This is from Nature publication:

Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 3.26.25 PM.png

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
Also another great read from Nature talking about the uncertainty of long term implications from COVID19

The 4 questions:

How many people get long COVID and who is most at risk?

What is the underlying biology of long COVID?

What is the relationship between long COVID and other post-infection syndromes?

What can be done to help people with long COVID?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Also another great read from Nature talking about the uncertainty of long term implications from COVID19

great timing on this btw. I can report to all of you that about 12 hours after my first shot of Pfizer, I noticed something odd. I wasn't tired. I only slept 4 hours the first night after my first pfizer jab. I felt great. my arm was sore sure. next day I felt even better, I only slept about 8 hours solid last night... usually I sleep way more and am lethargic. I seriously think I had a long covid and Pfizer cured me. I can't prove this in any way. but now i am a full 48 hours after the first shot and I just feel fantastic. I feel a clarity and awareness I have not felt in ages.

only weird symptom I had was yesterday, like once every 3 hours my right knee would have a super weird feeling/pang I don't know how to describe it. it came and went really fast each time, but no issues at all today.

I have read that most people get super sleepy after the first shot... and it gave me a crap ton of energy. i was literally reading all day, enjoying movies, going for walks last two days. mild fever, but again it only lasted like ten minutes and it broke.

its honestly the oddest experience I have ever experienced. I described it to a friend as that scene in Lord of the Rings, where Gandalf visits Rohan and the King can't think clearly because of his corrupt adviser, and Gandalf restores the king to clarity... bit dramatic, but that was sort of what my experience was like. LOL

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Home 64
I don't think it's wise to draw conclusions by looking at the J&J vaccine only. It was recalled at one point because it had some issues, so trust in that particular vaccine is way down. People are more likely to get Pfizer or Moderna.

Folks can read up on vaccination deaths/complications here: https://www.openvaers.com/covid-data

Use the data how you want. Just figured I'd toss it out there for folks to see.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Folks can read up on vaccination deaths/complications here: https://www.openvaers.com/covid-data

can't anyone and their mom post here though? or does it actually have to be verified by a hospital staff to be posted on that site? if it is the former, then I am skeptical as crap on those numbers, especially considering how much misinformation gets thrown around these days on purpose. if its the latter, well all things considered when near 2.25 billion doses of the vaccine have been given worldwide so far.

Storage 500GB Samsung Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red
Mouse Logitech G502
can't anyone and their mom post here though? or does it actually have to be verified by a hospital staff to be posted on that site? if it is the former, then I am skeptical as crap on those numbers, especially considering how much misinformation gets thrown around these days on purpose. if its the latter, well all things considered when near 2.25 billion doses of the vaccine have been given worldwide so far.

Read the FAQ, it'll explain things to you such as:

What is VAERS?
Established in 1990, the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) is a national early warning system to detect possible safety problems in U.S.-licensed vaccines. VAERS is co-managed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). VAERS accepts and analyzes reports of adverse events (possible side effects) after a person has received a vaccination. Anyone can report an adverse event to VAERS. Healthcare professionals are required to report certain adverse events and vaccine manufacturers are required to report all adverse events that come to their attention.
VAERS is a passive reporting system, meaning it relies on individuals to send in reports of their experiences to CDC and FDA. VAERS is not designed to determine if a vaccine caused a health problem, but is especially useful for detecting unusual or unexpected patterns of adverse event reporting that might indicate a possible safety problem with a vaccine. This way, VAERS can provide CDC and FDA with valuable information that additional work and evaluation is necessary to further assess a possible safety concern.

or

Where can I report an adverse event?
"The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) accepts all reports, including reports of vaccination errors. Guidance on reporting vaccination errors is available if you have additional questions."
"Knowingly filing a false VAERS report is a violation of Federal law (18 U.S. Code § 1001) punishable by fine and imprisonment."
Report an Adverse Event Here.

Like I said, I was just providing the link. You can read up on things there and take it how you want.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10

From the source (I've illustrated the massive fucking problem with such a resource).

VAERS limitations​

Because VAERS allows anyone to report possible side effects from vaccines, it includes reports that might or might not be caused by vaccines. VAERS is not designed to identify cause and effect. VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. Some reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. Most reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. Data from VAERS reports should always be interpreted with these limitations in mind.

I work with the public. In our field there is a well-known metric and that is that 9 happy customers will tell you nothing but one unhappy customer will shout to the hills about how shit you are. VAERS is an unverifiable resource and given the massive anti-vax community, it simply cannot be trusted. Any American could go on that resource and state how it affected them and given the nature of compliance and resistance, I'd wager more people would use that resource to weaponise an anti-vax sentiment.

No, sorry. That CDC reource--by it's own acknowledgement--is open to abuse.

EDIT: prime example - I could go on that resource and say it caused my baby to grow horns. It's BS.

From Vaers:

Limitations of VAERS:

• It is generally not possible to find out from VAERS data if a vaccine caused the adverse event
  • Reports submitted to VAERS often lack details and sometimes contains errors
  • Serious adverse events are more likely to be reported than non-serious events
  • Numbers of reports may increase in response to media attention and increased public awareness
  • VAERS data cannot be used to determine rates of adverse events

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Read the FAQ, it'll explain things to you such as:

What is VAERS?
Established in 1990, the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) is a national early warning system to detect possible safety problems in U.S.-licensed vaccines. VAERS is co-managed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). VAERS accepts and analyzes reports of adverse events (possible side effects) after a person has received a vaccination. Anyone can report an adverse event to VAERS. Healthcare professionals are required to report certain adverse events and vaccine manufacturers are required to report all adverse events that come to their attention.
VAERS is a passive reporting system, meaning it relies on individuals to send in reports of their experiences to CDC and FDA. VAERS is not designed to determine if a vaccine caused a health problem, but is especially useful for detecting unusual or unexpected patterns of adverse event reporting that might indicate a possible safety problem with a vaccine. This way, VAERS can provide CDC and FDA with valuable information that additional work and evaluation is necessary to further assess a possible safety concern.

or

Where can I report an adverse event?
"The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) accepts all reports, including reports of vaccination errors. Guidance on reporting vaccination errors is available if you have additional questions."
"Knowingly filing a false VAERS report is a violation of Federal law (18 U.S. Code § 1001) punishable by fine and imprisonment."
Report an Adverse Event Here.

Like I said, I was just providing the link. You can read up on things there and take it how you want.

yeah I remember a Doctor saying on the news one time he reported to VAERS that he turned into the Incredible Hulk after a vaccine once, and it stayed in system for long time and nothing ever came of it. that system is useless unless every single issue is verified by a hospital staff or hospital visit history imo.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Edit 2: I guess I'm just bummed. America got us to the moon. Sent probes beyond our solar system. And accepts this level of unscientific, bias-unchecked level of reporting.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Edit 2: I guess I'm just bummed. America got us to the moon. Sent probes beyond our solar system. And accepts this level of unscientific, bias-unchecked level of reporting.

Agreed, it seems like a weird decision to allow such a system. A system like that could exist, it just would require a Doctor to sign in and sign off on it imo... or at least a hospital approved staff member, create some kind of certification that people have to get to be allowed to enter into that system for reporting, that way there is accountability and more polish overall.

Mouse Logitech G502
yeah I remember a Doctor saying on the news one time he reported to VAERS that he turned into the Incredible Hulk after a vaccine once, and it stayed in system for long time and nothing ever came of it. that system is useless unless every single issue is verified by a hospital staff or hospital visit history imo.

Just wanted to post for folks to see.

I was just told about by someone from work that just got their second shot and she was out for 4 days due to the side effects. She was hospitalized due to issues breathing and chest pain, she had diarrhea, sweats, headaches. Someone made mention of the site to her so she could report her issues about the vaccination. She was just telling others about it when she got back to work the other day. I'm not sure if she posted her experience or not, I didn't ask.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Just wanted to post for folks to see.

I was just told about by someone from work that just got their second shot and she was out for 4 days due to the side effects. She was hospitalized due to issues breathing and chest pain, she had diarrhea, sweats, headaches. Someone made mention of the site to her so she could report her issues about the vaccination. She was just telling others about it when she got back to work the other day. I'm not sure if she posted her experience or not, I didn't ask.

I think we should go to the UK model of the second shot timing personally. UK has already proven that if you wait longer for the second shot, you actually get more antibodies... 3 weeks seems too early to me personally.

edit: reason I mention that is because I think if we did wait longer on second shot we would have less issues like your friends there. just my guess though.

Wait until you find out what makes up the majority of the post vax data besides VAERS

Spoiler alert: Its a smartphone app. V-Safe.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@xkm1948 @dragontamer5788

I know you two read about covid a lot. If you ever come across new articles talking about delaying second shot and efficacy/antibody rates please let me know/post here. I'm considering delaying my second shot to week 5 or 6, instead of getting it in week 3. I personally feel there is enough data already showing that is fine, but just want to keep eye out for anything else. I do wish other countries would compare data per capita, for example, how many cases of bells palsy, myocardia, etc is the UK folks getting? they all had to wait for like 9-12 weeks for second shot to my knowledge, does the risk drop substantially per capita for side effects if you wait longer? the antibodies still seem to be there and even better.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
@xkm1948 @dragontamer5788

I know you two read about covid a lot. If you ever come across new articles talking about delaying second shot and efficacy/antibody rates please let me know/post here. I'm considering delaying my second shot to week 5 or 6, instead of getting it in week 3. I personally feel there is enough data already showing that is fine, but just want to keep eye out for anything else. I do wish other countries would compare data per capita, for example, how many cases of bells palsy, myocardia, etc is the UK folks getting? they all had to wait for like 9-12 weeks for second shot to my knowledge, does the risk drop substantially per capita for side effects if you wait longer? the antibodies still seem to be there and even better.

The first thing I think people who have the choice (in the UK the people don't) is to understand like all things, there are con's as well as pro's, for example with that extended period between vaccine's people are much more at risk of serious disease for longer initially, for example with 2 doses 3 weeks apart you would get high protection at the 5 week point, with 2 doses 12 weeks apart you get in most cases a slightly higher level of protection possibly for a little longer but it takes 14 weeks so some people may be vulnerable to serious disease for 7 weeks longer if that makes sense.

Trying to stay away from mainstream media who tend to just quote sources here is a couple to start with,

Although not just in older people as this piece explains further down.........................

Delaying second Pfizer vaccines to 12 weeks significantly increases antibody responses in older people, finds study (birmingham.ac.uk)

Maybe a more balanced but less detailed account

Delaying second dose of COVID-19 vaccines: Are there benefits? (medicalnewstoday.com)

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The first thing I think people who have the choice (in the UK the people don't) is to understand like all things, there are con's as well as pro's, for example with that extended period between vaccine's people are much more at risk of serious disease for longer initially, for example with 2 doses 3 weeks apart you would get high protection at the 5 week point, with 2 doses 12 weeks apart you get in most cases a slightly higher level of protection possibly for a little longer but it takes 14 weeks so some people may be vulnerable to serious disease for 7 weeks longer if that makes sense.

Trying to stay away from mainstream media who tend to just quote sources here is a couple to start with,

Although not just in older people as this piece explains further down.........................

Delaying second Pfizer vaccines to 12 weeks significantly increases antibody responses in older people, finds study (birmingham.ac.uk)

Maybe a more balanced but less detailed account

Delaying second dose of COVID-19 vaccines: Are there benefits? (medicalnewstoday.com)

I just finished reading that bottom article, it is interesting. Also, I have to keep in mind these articles were written before the Indian variant, which I only have 33% protection against with only my one shot of Pfizer... BUT that study did not define if those people who only had 1 dose of Pfizer had previously been infected with Covid. My t-cells are still primed from when I had covid in November, so maybe I am actually already at shot 2 levels of antibodies (or will be in a couple weeks since I just got the shot tuesday)... hmm. so many variables it hurts my head.

I'll probably just get it at 3 weeks and be done with it. I'm so friggin tired of worrying... but it would be nice if the above paragraph logic was correct... because if I could delay second shot for 2-3 months I would... cause at end of day all of us will be getting boosters probably around March. but if i can delay it, plus increase my antibodies and increase my longevity seems like a win win win (for people that previously had covid, and got shot 1)

or I just need to stop worrying and do it. but you know, these news articles don't inspire confidence for me. it was all over the news yesterday... myocardia is higher in young males than they thought it would be after the second shot of pfizer... this kind of crap really scares me to be honest. they keep saying its safe over and over and over... but then i read news articles like this just yesterday: (its frustrating as hell, who do you trust?)

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64
@lynx29 Interestingly, and in part covering a little of your post above, on our lunchtime news today it was talking about the Indian variant now being responsible for 90% of all infections and those infections are rising, our R rate is now in the 1.2 - 1.4 range, of all of these infections, 75% of them have not been vaccinated, 18% have had just one dose, 7% have had both doses but some of those 7% (it didn't say specifically how many) had caught the virus inside of the 2 week period of having the 2nd jab, that fact coupled with efficacy ratings appears a pretty accurate reflection of what we have been told regarding the vaccines.

So .............. It would appear that the UK may well move to get as many 2nd jabs done as quickly as possible forgoing the 12 week thing, so that probably confirms your thoughts about getting it ASP.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
Yeah, in Glasgow it's been moved up. My 2nd jag is on the 8 week mark. 4 weeks early.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I guess the Indian Variant hasn't made it's way to my county yet. The new cases of Covid-19 continue to plunge. During the height of the Pandemic there were well over 600 new cases every day from a population of 370,000. Yesterday there were only 5 new cases.

I just finished reading that bottom article, it is interesting. Also, I have to keep in mind these articles were written before the Indian variant, which I only have 33% protection against with only my one shot of Pfizer... BUT that study did not define if those people who only had 1 dose of Pfizer had previously been infected with Covid. My t-cells are still primed from when I had covid in November, so maybe I am actually already at shot 2 levels of antibodies (or will be in a couple weeks since I just got the shot tuesday)... hmm. so many variables it hurts my head.

I'll probably just get it at 3 weeks and be done with it. I'm so friggin tired of worrying... but it would be nice if the above paragraph logic was correct... because if I could delay second shot for 2-3 months I would... cause at end of day all of us will be getting boosters probably around March. but if i can delay it, plus increase my antibodies and increase my longevity seems like a win win win (for people that previously had covid, and got shot 1)

or I just need to stop worrying and do it. but you know, these news articles don't inspire confidence for me. it was all over the news yesterday... myocardia is higher in young males than they thought it would be after the second shot of pfizer... this kind of crap really scares me to be honest. they keep saying its safe over and over and over... but then i read news articles like this just yesterday: (its frustrating as hell, who do you trust?)

You have to remember these vaccines were developed under emergency use. The companies were granted immunity until after phase 4 is complete (2019-2024). The entire process has been expedited for emergency use due to covid-19 so we are essentially all Phase 3 & Phase 4 of this on going trial.

The reality is that even though drugs and vaccines have been pulled for less unless there is a catastrophic reasoning they will issue a guidance for what ever side-effect that pops up. CDC said they were not going to look at anything they classify as "mild" or below a while ago. They also been looking at the heart Inflammation for a few months.

Those who suffer from side effects or death will have to wait for the emergency immunity to expire in 2024 if its not extended and take their chances with the process then.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
You have to remember these vaccines were developed under emergency use. The companies were granted immunity until after phase 4 is complete (2019-2024). The entire process has been expedited for emergency use due to covid-19 so we are essentially all Phase 3 & Phase 4 of this on going trial.

The reality is that even though drugs and vaccines have been pulled for less unless there is a catastrophic reasoning they will issue a guidance for what ever side-effect that pops up. CDC said they were not going to look at anything they classify as "mild" or below a while ago. They also been looking at the heart Inflammation for a few months.

Those who suffer from side effects or death will have to wait for the emergency immunity to expire in 2024 if its not extended and take their chances with the process then.

I understand all of that, the problem is the media and peer pressure from celebs/scientists, etc doesn't advertise that way... they just say over and over its safe or they make fun of you for not getting it (I am referring to late night tv comedy hosts), etc. This is why I was so hesitant to get it. Something is wrong with that imo.

@lynx29 Interestingly, and in part covering a little of your post above, on our lunchtime news today it was talking about the Indian variant now being responsible for 90% of all infections and those infections are rising, our R rate is now in the 1.2 - 1.4 range, of all of these infections, 75% of them have not been vaccinated, 18% have had just one dose, 7% have had both doses but some of those 7% (it didn't say specifically how many) had caught the virus inside of the 2 week period of having the 2nd jab, that fact coupled with efficacy ratings appears a pretty accurate reflection of what we have been told regarding the vaccines.

So .............. It would appear that the UK may well move to get as many 2nd jabs done as quickly as possible forgoing the 12 week thing, so that probably confirms your thoughts about getting it ASP.

yeah I mean its already in my body at this point, so i might as well get the 2nd jab and be done with it on the 29th. cheers

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
I guess the Indian Variant hasn't made it's way to my county yet. The new cases of Covid-19 continue to plunge. During the height of the Pandemic there were well over 600 new cases every day from a population of 370,000. Yesterday there were only 5 new cases.
The Indian variant has been in the US for several weeks, it is around 50% more transmissible than the UK variant which was around 50% more transmissible than the original strain. It apparently was in the UK for almost 2 months before it started to take off, mainly in the younger population who have either not had a vaccine yet or those that have only had the one jab.

Fauci warns that the Delta coronavirus variant, first found in India, could take over in the US if people don't get their shots (yahoo.com)

@Xzibit I hear what you are saying about the emergency use thing, however, Statins are the most prescribed drug worldwide apparently and in any given year their side effects can lead to up to 3% of the people taking them to die, so there must be a margin in terms of risk >>> reward in these things considering worldwide the most common cause of death in men is coronary heart disease (I believe).

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software W10
@Xzibit I hear what you are saying about the emergency use thing, however, Statins are the most prescribed drug worldwide apparently and in any given year their side effects can lead to up to 3% of the people taking them to die, so there must be a margin in terms of risk >>> reward in these things considering worldwide the most common cause of death in men is coronary heart disease (I believe).

Blood thinners given to the older population to prevent stroke also cause death. It's a weighted risk. 'X' population is at 'Y' risk of some illness. Take this drug and you'll be at 5% risk of that same illness but 1% risk of dying from side effects.

Looked at another way - I don't smoke because (apart from being stinky) it causes lung cancer and heart disease. But I can still get lung cancer or heart disease. Odds are lower but the risk is always there.

Status
Not open for further replies.