• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mars Helicopter to Fly on NASA’s Next Red Planet Rover Mission

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
The Mars Helicopter, a small, autonomous rotorcraft, will travel with the agency’s Mars 2020 rover mission, currently scheduled to launch in July 2020, to demonstrate the viability and potential of heavier-than-air vehicles on the Red Planet.

“NASA has a proud history of firsts,” said NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine. “The idea of a helicopter flying the skies of another planet is thrilling. The Mars Helicopter holds much promise for our future science, discovery, and exploration missions to Mars.”

U.S. Rep. John Culberson of Texas echoed Bridenstine’s appreciation of the impact of American firsts on the future of exploration and discovery.

“It’s fitting that the United States of America is the first nation in history to fly the first heavier-than-air craft on another world,” Culberson said. “This exciting and visionary achievement will inspire young people all over the United States to become scientists and engineers, paving the way for even greater discoveries in the future.”

Started in August 2013 as a technology development project at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), the Mars Helicopter had to prove that big things could come in small packages. The result of the team’s four years of design, testing and redesign weighs in at little under four pounds (1.8 kilograms). Its fuselage is about the size of a softball, and its twin, counter-rotating blades will bite into the thin Martian atmosphere at almost 3,000 rpm – about 10 times the rate of a helicopter on Earth.

“Exploring the Red Planet with NASA’s Mars Helicopter exemplifies a successful marriage of science and technology innovation and is a unique opportunity to advance Mars exploration for the future,” said Thomas Zurbuchen, Associate Administrator for NASA's Science Mission Directorate at the agency headquarters in Washington. “After the Wright Brothers proved 117 years ago that powered, sustained, and controlled flight was possible here on Earth, another group of American pioneers may prove the same can be done on another world.”

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/mars-helicopter-to-fly-on-nasa-s-next-red-planet-rover-mission

Will a helicopter work on Mars?
With regards to helicopter flight, there are two big differences between Earth and Mars. First, the density of the atmosphere on Mars is significantly lower than on Earth (only about 1 percent of our atmospheric density). Second, the gravitational field is also lower on Mars (just 38 percent of the gravity on the surface of the Earth). The lower atmospheric density makes it more difficult to fly a helicopter, but the lower gravity makes it easier.
The real question—how do helicopters fly? In a very basic model of helicopter thrust, the rotors take air above the helicopter and throw this air down. Since the "thrown" air has an increase in momentum, this requires a force—which is the lift force. Also, we can imagine this mass of air is in the shape of a cylinder with the radius of this air-cylinder the same as the area of the helicopter rotors.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-physics-of-nasas-new-mars-helicopter/

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Has this unit been physically proven to fly already?
I personally think this will be a spectacular failure if proof of concept tests haven't been undertaken here prior to the missions.
What will prevent the body of the unit spinning countering the spin of the blades?

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Has this unit been physically proven to fly already?
I personally think this will be a spectacular failure if proof of concept tests haven't been undertaken here prior to the missions.
What will prevent the body of the unit spinning countering the spin of the blades?

Look at the pic - It has two sets of rotors, one set rotates opposite of the other negating the torquing effect you'd normally see and need a tail rotor to counteract. The post even says it has twin, counter-rotating blades so that's explanatory enough I guess.

As for whether it can fly in such a thin atmosphere, that's yet to be seen and they'd better get the math right before it's sent off to Mars.

System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
Look at the pic - It has two sets of rotors, one set rotates opposite of the other negating the torquing effect you'd normally see and need a tail rotor to counteract. The post even says it has twin, counter-rotating blades so that's explanatory enough I guess.

As for whether it can fly in such a thin atmosphere, that's yet to be seen and they'd better get the math right before it's sent off to Mars.
I believe they've been testing it in a chamber with mars equivalent atmospheric pressures already, so it can manage to fly in 1g and mars atmosphere so it should be fine on Mars so long as there isn't major wind issues

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
I certainly hope so.
I don't think they have an off-world branch with a service tech that can come out to do the job. Speaking of wind I know Mars can have some gnarly weather/storms but I'd have to guess that's also been considered - Would have to be in fact.

This drone would surely allow for more and better mapping of the planet's surface features plus reveal any potential problematic-terrain closeby before the rover itself gets into it.