• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mass Effect 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Processor Intel i7 2600K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3)
Cooling Noctua nh-u12p se2
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz 9-10-9-27
Video Card(s) POWERCOLOR HD 7970 3GB
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD / 2*320GB WDC RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 226BW 21" 1650*1080
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Professional PCI
Power Supply OCZ PC Power & Cooling 860W
Software Windows 7 x64
MatTheCat: obviously you have faggy tastes in RPG's, and dont seem to know what an RPG actually is.

The moment he mentioned that ME2 sucked I knew he was trolling. No need to provoke the troll :p

By calling a bunch of critically acclaimed games a pile of shit??..allright you are right then..

Look guys, it is like this.

Bioware games are heavily story/dialogue based and the story writers for these RPG's seem to be off the failed/never quite made it as a crappy American braindead fantasy TV drama writer, variety.

Now if you happen to genuinely think that Xena Warrior Princess, Babylon 5, Star Wank, and all the other mind-numbing (generally American) TV fantasy drama's are great entertainment, then chances are that you will enjoy Bioware RPG's. If you are like me on the otherhand and demand a bit of style/maturity/intelligence in the 'stories' that you watch, read, or play, then you will fkn hate Bioware RPG's.

I fkn hate Bioware RPG's. And so do lots of other people....by the looks of things.

Sorry dude but I would call you an idiot,if I could...for your post...Im also a big fan of Gothic,but saying about all the games you've mentioned that they are a pile of shit just makes you an....

I mentioned:

Mass Effect (both of em) = b.p.o.s.
KNoTR = b.p.o.s.
Dragon Age = b.p.o.s.

All of the above are Bioware games......see the recurring theme here?

But for the record:

Fallout 3 = b.p.o.s.
Oblivion = b.p.o.s.

I also mentioned the Witcher, which was essentially a really good game with an intelligent, clever, and compelling story line...but for me, the performance issues/bugs were too much and I couldn't be arsed to complete it.

But apart from the Witcher, only Gothic (1+2) and Risen counts as good (modern) RPG's. If there are more then I would like to hear what they are as these games count amongst my best gaming experiences to date and would really love to play something of a similar style and quality.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
so basically, you hate pretty much every popular RPG, but refuse to admit you're the minority.

You have to be correct in all your reasons and assumptions so rather than think you (and a few others) are the odd ones out, you have to resort to insulting the games and those who play them?

grow up. get some self esteem.

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Software Windows 7 x64
so basically, you hate pretty much every popular RPG, but refuse to admit you're the minority.

I think that 95% of the really big Hollywood blockbuster films are b.p's.o.s. Just cos these films are loved in the mainstream, does that make them good films? Or is there a lot of not so intelligent people out there that can be entertained by any old lowest common denominator trash?

The O.P. was looking for affirmation to his suspicion that ME(2) was in fact a really crap game. I can relate to this as I have forced myself to try and like this game (and many others) on the grounds that it must be a great game cos everyone and all the media sez its a great game. But the bottom line is, if someone finds the game a chore to play, if the story fails to interest them, and if all the characters just piss them off, then to that person, Mass Effect is a crappy game (and so are all ther ones similar to it).

Consider that sometimes, the minority are in the right.

D

Deleted member 67555

I love ME2 and ME1 and yeah I like B5 and Star Trek and all of those other Glorious SciFi genre shows and movies....ME2 does take some time to get going From there the choices you make determines how the game goes so you can actually play it again and see things happen in other ways.
When it comes to combat YOUR in charge so you make the calls or you can just watch your team but it's a lot more fun to take charge...if your bored try a harder level

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

No one is right no one is wrong, you either like a game for a certain set of reasons or you hate a game for a certain set of reasons.

Its like religion you can't claim one religion as being the Best or as being the right religion no matter how many or few believe that religion to be the best and true.

In America buddy, this is how we roll.

Last edited:
System Name Vulcan
Processor i6 6600K
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z170X UD3
Cooling Thermaltake Frio Silent 14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 1TB SSD
Display(s) QNIX 27 Inch 1440p
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Cooler Master V750
Software Win 10 64-bit
I think that 95% of the really big Hollywood blockbuster films are b.p's.o.s. Just cos these films are loved in the mainstream, does that make them good films? Or is there a lot of not so intelligent people out there that can be entertained by any old lowest common denominator trash?

The O.P. was looking for affirmation to his suspicion that ME(2) was in fact a really crap game. I can relate to this as I have forced myself to try and like this game (and many others) on the grounds that it must be a great game cos everyone and all the media sez its a great game. But the bottom line is, if someone finds the game a chore to play, if the story fails to interest them, and if all the characters just piss them off, then to that person, Mass Effect is a crappy game (and so are all ther ones similar to it).

I think that's just faggy! :wtf:

left4lol

System Name Primary PC
Processor Pentium E5300 @3,5 Ghz
Motherboard Biostar G31D-M7
Cooling Processor Default
Memory Visiopro 2GB Dual Channel PC 6400
Video Card(s) Radeon HD 4670
Storage Seagate 320 GB, WD 500 GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster CPN175G
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair-CX 400W
Software Win 7 Ultimate
I also mentioned the Witcher, which was essentially a really good game with an intelligent, clever, and compelling story line...but for me, the performance issues/bugs were too much and I couldn't be arsed to complete it.

But apart from the Witcher, only Gothic (1+2) and Risen counts as good (modern) RPG's. If there are more then I would like to hear what they are as these games count amongst my best gaming experiences to date and would really love to play something of a similar style and quality.
If you talking about the original Witcher, Just update it to Enhanced Edition. It should address all the performance issues/bugs.

System Name The Lizard v2.4
Processor Intel Celeron G1840 (for the time being
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81-S2PH
Cooling Intel Stock Fan
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 750Ti (For the time being)
Storage 500GB Samsung F1, 160GB Maxtor "Older than god"
Display(s) AOC 28' LCD
Case Coolermaster N200
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec VP500P
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores No crashes in the last 24 minutes.
Just say it. You like Final Fantasy (JRPG). We will not cock at you.

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
to each his own I tell ye :D. A good sign that your alive and human

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg

You see your view is not superior or inferior to anyone else's because entertainment is subjective. If you think some thing is shit then I can guarentee you there is someone who thinks everything you appreciate is shit. To say because a lot of people like it, it must be shit or they must idiots is very narrow minded. Why should you be the measure of something's success based on your preferences and not everyone elses ?

Something to mull over when you say a wildly success franchise is shit.

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Software Windows 7 x64
You see your view is not superior or inferior to anyone else's because entertainment is subjective. If you think some thing is shit then I can guarentee you there is someone who thinks everything you appreciate is shit.

Yeah, I know I am not going to win a popularity contest by saying these things......but:

When I was 12 years old. I loved all the bullshit that came out of Hollywood and/or half of the American nonsense that we get on TV.

Now I hate it. All of it.

What has changed is that my mind has matured, my tastes have become more sophisticated, and i have developed a low tolerance threshold for trash media/entertainment.

Had I played Mass Effect when I was still in my early-mid teens, I would have no doubt have been totally spell bound by it. But now, my intelligence rejects it (the storyline, character interactions), and the arcade gameplay isn't that strong either.

Like said, Mass Effect = b.p.o.s. and I am not the only one who thinks this.

The talking fleshes out the storyline plus the choices are a big part of the games system, in the first one people can die or not if you choose certain conversations points.

Its nothing to do with it being "Hollywood" mass produced shite if you wanted that go play COD or something like Star Wars:The Force Unleashed II because thats what those are. If Mass Effect and games like Oblivion are shit then wtf do you consider great?

Jade Empire another classy Bioware effort :cool

EDIT: PEOPLE are fickle and that's why we have programs on tv like the x factor or pop idol for the Americans. You can be hoytie toytie about things or just accept like i did not everyone has brilliant taste. I can also recognise that something may not be shit just because im not interested in it for example i dislike darts but that doesn't mean darts are shit right? Although things can still be shite like for example someone might like TWO WORLDS but its still a terrible game because its extremely flawed.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
blah blah blah

you do realize, that talking about your maturity and sophistication only helps to
solidify the opinion that you are a childish little brat?

kinda like, cool means not worrying about being cool?

the fact that you put so much stock in your maturity just says you are still not quite
there yet. I'm happy that you recognize what happens as time passes - just know
another 10 years you'll look at this stupid little argument you started and say:

what was i thinking, i was being such a little kid then!

you are trying so hard to not like the game, that you don't realize you argument is
entirely subjective and baseless. you are caught up in a fervor and are ignoring
the fact that nobody cares what you thought of the game, or bioware for that fact.

you can shout to the greek gods how bioware makes horrible games. you will still
just be spouting an opinion, and a poorly constructed one at that.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
I'm kind of on the same level as the OP, I played through 2-4 hours of ME1 and 2 and just could'nt bring myself to continue playing, it was so dialogue driven.

the short bursts of combat gameplay were awesome and all, but for long periods it just felt like I'd talk to someone, and they'd tell me to talk to someone else, and so on and so forth for too long.

having said that I've never been a huge fan of RPG's, I just wanted to try it becuase I have several mates who love both games to bits.

I guess it's just not for me, I'll stick to Shooters and Racing games :D

Yeah, this kind of games are like an "Interactive Visual Novel".

If you like to read books, you'll probably like these kind of games. I actually enjoy reading all the texts in ME.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
I believe the OP has his answer and now this thread seems to be successfully trolled. IMHO it's time to shut it down. This wasn't about some random dudes hatred for bioware and mainstream sci-fi it was about how much dialogue me2 has.

and yeah the ME games do have alot of dialogue compared to most shooters, that's just teh way they are. like it play don't like it, don't play. easy.

mdsx1950

System Name Knight-X
Processor Intel Core i7-980X [4.2Ghz]
Motherboard ASUS P6T7 WS
Cooling CORSAIR Hydro H70 + 2x CM 2000RPM 120mm LED Fans
Memory Corsair DOMINATOR-GT 12GB (6 x 2GB) DDR3 2000MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD6970 2GB CrossFire [PhysX - EVGA GTX260(216SP) 896MB]
Storage 2x Corsair Perf. 512GB | OCZ Colossus 1TB | 2xOCZ Agilities 120GB SSDs
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp™ 3008WFP [2560x1600]
Case Cooler Master HAF-X + NZXT Temp LCD
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X | ONKYO HTS9100THX 7.1
Power Supply Silverstone ST1500 1500W [80 PLUS Silver]
Software Windows 7 Ultimate X64 (Build 7600)
Benchmark Scores Heaven 2.0 with Extreme Tessellation at 1080p - 96FPS
If you played the first game, you'll be dying to play and finish the 2nd game. Atleast that's how i was when i got the game. The story is just in a whole other level. Once you start playing, you'll find it hard to stop. To be honest Mass Effect was like one of the only RPGs i've played. I didn't even bother with it till one of my friends got it and he told me it was awesome. So like you when i started playing the game, i was having huge hopes for some crazy action game. And i did get a little bored right at the start. But after sometime, i was just pulled into the story. And i played like four hours straight :p (And i RARELY play that long.) I suggest you play the 1st one if you haven't played the 2nd one. :)

Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
I guess it's just not for me, I'll stick to Shooters and Racing games :D

which is the PERFECT attitude, and one we all (should) hold in regards to things that
don't meet our fancy.

contrast that with the matt's position:

This wasn't about some random dudes hatred for bioware and mainstream sci-fi it was about how much dialogue me2 has.

that's very much what it was about, since the OP. it was quite obvious the entire thread was made so logan and then
Mat could rant about having made a bad purchasing decision - and then get angry at everyone who recognizes this. it was
entirelyabout some random dude getting upset because he wasn't smart enough to read before buying.

Last edited:
System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
which is the PERFECT attitude, and one we all (should) hold in regards to things that
don't meet our fancy.

contrast that with the OPs position:

and you'll see where the issue lies. it's just frustrating when you run into someone so
dense as to not recognize the difference between objective and subjective opinions.
add to that, how highly the OP thinks of himself, and you have a recipe for arrogance and ignorance.

umm he's not the OP, he's just a troll that showed up and has not been banned for trolling for some reason unbeknownst to me.

umm he's not the OP, he's just a troll that showed up and has not been banned for trolling for some reason unbeknownst to me.

lol yeah - sry. logan was the OP, however my assessment still stands i think.

mat the cat just picked up the baton and ran to the line for logan, they both had ignorant arguments.

thanks for the correction though :)

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Case HAF X
Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

matthecat... really?

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Software Windows 7 x64
The talking fleshes out the storyline plus the choices are a big part of the games system, in the first one people can die or not if you choose certain conversations points.

Ok.

The Bioware engine has HUGE potential for making great story driven games. But if someone hates or is just bored to death by the story telling that the devs put into the games, then what is there left?

When I play Gothic/Risen I find myself caring much more about much more simple characters and the unfolding of a much more basic story than is present in the Bioware titles.

Mass Effect failed to make me care because the story telling and the characterisation is gay. The Witcher on the otherhand is equally dialogue and story driven, but cos the story in that is brilliant, the game is brilliant...(short of unforgiveable performance issues).

I believe the OP has his answer and now this thread seems to be successfully trolled. IMHO it's time to shut it down. This wasn't about some random dudes hatred for bioware and mainstream sci-fi it was about how much dialogue me2 has.

Oh noes...here comes the forum insects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mass Effect failed to make me care because the story telling and the characterisation is gay.

that right there epitomizes why you have no argument.

you are trying to prove Mass Effect is a bad game. which again, is confusing
objective belief with subjective - but we'll move past that for a moment.

you have yet to use descriptive words to explain your problems.

you say "it's gay" "it sucks", and then try to call yourself mature and sophisticated.

what's funny to me, is that you don't recognize how ignorant you are being!
you think you are actually making a coherent argument, don't you? do you
think you are actually coming across as mature? seriously, do you?

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
look MatTheCat,

Some people like Chocolate Ice Cream some people like Vanilla Ice Cream.

Not one person on this Earth can Claim Vanilla Ice Cream is worse than Chocolate or vice versa. You just need to understand that different people enjoy different things.

The sooner you understand this concept the sooner you will become a better human being.

I hope you find it in your mind to understand this as I know you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.