• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mass Effect 3 won't be on Steam

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
you misunderstand, you have the option to not recruit them at all. While it's not true for all characters it is for most in both ME and kotor, and all similar game types.

Willie did not know he hated Kaiden until he took him into a firefight, you don't know unless you recruit them. ;)
The game gets shit for this because it advertised itself as a game with choices. Then even up-played characters dieing from your decisions pre-release.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
Wait, is origin charging people outside the USA based on euro currency regardless of where they live?

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
Wait, is origin charging people outside the USA based on euro currency regardless of where they live?

There were complaints about it early on, Idk if they have changed it or not.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
There were complaints about it early on, Idk if they have changed it or not.

Hmm, I've read some posts elsewhere about it and wasn't sure if it was true or not.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
Willie did not know he hated Kaiden until he took him into a firefight, you don't know unless you recruit them. ;)
The game gets shit for this because it advertised itself as a game with choices. Then even up-played characters dieing from your decisions pre-release.

yeah seriously you're not understanding at all, I'm starting to think you're not capable of it. Kaiden or ash, you choose which lives or which dies on virmire. Wrex (if you recruited him) you can choose to save or let ash kill on virmire. Wrex, tali, liara, garrus, etc you can choose to not recruit at all. This is not unlike kotor.

for ME2 ALL of your crew including shephard can die in the final mission. Again as with the above you can choose to recruit or not recruit. Dialogue choices in both show paragon or renegade while this meter is less important in the first, it's far more important in the second because you are unable to resolve certain conflicts without being high enough in either paragon or renegade. For the final mission in ME2 you can literally choose who lives and who dies depending on what tasks you give them and what their loyalty status is.

you are either expecting far too much out of a video game, or you simply have only played 5 minutes or less of the series.

as for origin again it doesn't bother me. I'm an IT, I have like 500 logins to remember. wtf is one more?

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
yeah seriously you're not understanding at all, I'm starting to think you're not capable of it. Kaiden or ash, you choose which lives or which dies on virmire. Wrex (if you recruited him) you can choose to save or let ash kill on virmire. Wrex, tali, liara, garrus, etc you can choose to not recruit at all. This is not unlike kotor.

for ME2 ALL of your crew including shephard can die in the final mission. Again as with the above you can choose to recruit or not recruit. Dialogue choices in both show paragon or renegade while this meter is less important in the first, it's far more important in the second because you are unable to resolve certain conflicts without being high enough in either paragon or renegade. For the final mission in ME2 you can literally choose who lives and who dies depending on what tasks you give them and what their loyalty status is.*

you are either expecting far too much out of a video game, or you simply have only played 5 minutes or less of the series.
You are either a speed reader or incapable of understanding.

• Being able to have someone die at one point in the game is not choice. It is a single scenario in the game; it has no impact or consequences.

Some closed minded idiot who is not thinking said:
But-but GSG-9 the choices will matter in the next game!
You sir, are a gullible idiot if you think that is the case. It did not happen with ME2, it will not happen with ME3.​

If killing Wrex, Kaiden or Ash unlocked a thread of choices and quests in ME2 I would say you are correct. (say if a character could be unlocked in ME2 but ONLY if you had killed a certain member in ME) But that did not happen. Bioware and EA took your money and said "look! shiny, shiny things! Also we took away your ability to choose other members of your party in combat."

as for origin again it doesn't bother me. I'm an IT, I have like 500 logins to remember. wtf is one more?

I have no doubt the hardware based activation variants present on Crysis 2 and Anno 2070 will find there way into new origin games. Not to mention play it or lose it clauses in the eula. Origin us covered in dirty tendencies that Steam is trying to hard to avoid. Logging in is not what bugs me, it is EA reinventing a rectangle and calling it a square.

Are you getting it yet? Go play the game 20 more times and tell me if there is exclusive content beyond dialog if you make different choices. I will wait.
There won't be.

Last edited:
System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
You are either a speed reader or incapable of understanding.

• Being able to have someone die at one point in the game is not choice. It is a single scenario in the game; it has no impact or consequences.

You sir, are a gullible idiot if you think that is the case. It did not happen with ME2, it will not happen with ME3.​

If killing Wrex, Kaiden or Ash unlocked a thread of choices and quests in ME2 I would say you are correct. (say if a character could be unlocked in ME2 but ONLY if you had killed a certain member in ME) But that did not happen. Bioware and EA took your money and said "look! shiny, shiny things! Also we took away your ability to choose other members of your party in combat."

I have no doubt the hardware based activation variants present on Crysis 2 and Anno 2070 will find there way into new origin games. Not to mention play it or lose it clauses in the eula. Origin us covered in dirty tendencies that Steam is trying to hard to avoid. Logging in is not what bugs me, it is EA reinventing a rectangle and calling it a square.

Are you getting it yet? Go play the game 20 more times and tell me if there is exclusive content beyond dialog if you make different choices. I will wait.
There won't be.

you sir are the one not reading

from my post #73
Sure it's not like elder scrolls games where you can let anyone die except for crucial plot people but even then if you hate a main character you can't let them die at all.

it's a game with a plot line, perhaps you like yours without? At any rate certain characters will be needed to continue that plotline until they serve their purpose. Now I will give you a nod to some seemingly major choices from me1 not mattering in me2, but seriously you specifically referenced characters. And for character presence name me 1 game that actually does what you're referencing for all characters.

I'll wait.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
you sir are the one not reading

from my post #73

it's a game with a plot line, perhaps you like yours without? At any rate certain characters will be needed to continue that plotline until they serve their purpose. Now I will give you a nod to some seemingly major choices from me1 not mattering in me2, but seriously you specifically referenced characters. And for character presence name me 1 game that actually does what you're referencing for all characters.

I'll wait.

I believe you can kill all your companions in Skyrim if is not their quest. I don't like using it as an example, I don't want 99 more games identical to Skyrim. Once again though, Skyrim did not advertise itself as starting off where you left off in Oblivion and have decisions that impact the game.

Our whole discussion about events in ME is irrelevant to the point I was (possibly poorly) making, I was pointing out how I felt, and could see my roomate felt frustration with characters and he thought he would be able to kill them from what he had heard about the game. But, my main problem with the series (and what makes me feel alienated) is the plot being so far from what was advertised for ME2 as far as choices.

The first game behaved appropriately, assuming more DLCs came out for it it, but I dont fault Bioware for that either. It had the potential to branch out into multiple story-lines.
Enters ME2:
Nothing effected the storyline of the game, it was a farcry from what it was supposed to be (Kind of like Far Cry 2 but more fun).
I don't believe the proposition that you cannot build plot development in a game where main characters die dynamically. They sure could, have multiple voice actors speak the dialog for main parts. Let your players kill all their companions.

What I am suggesting (I warn you its pretty rough but you get the idea)) is as easy to implement as Shepard endorsing a store. Throw in missions like that for everything, to determine if your companions get along or not. What I suggested is a game-world changing event, but it does not have to effect the main plot. Bioware has the right idea, they are just doing it wrong. The Rachni are an example of this, a conversation based upon what was supposed to be a large decision?

ME2 is linear and it was advertised as not being liner. It was designed to be a safe game investment, safe and non-linear do not work together.

ME2 is best described as an interactive movie, I think. ME1 wasn't all that much different though really. A lot of the ME1 gameplay mechanics were really unrefined IMO and felt rather superfluous when considering it seemed like they wanted to make an interactive movie anyway.

The Mako was much more interesting than the mining game however!

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I believe you can kill all your companions in Skyrim if is not their quest. I don't like using it as an example, I don't want 99 more games identical to Skyrim. Once again though, Skyrim did not advertise itself as starting off where you left off in Oblivion and have decisions that impact the game.

Our whole discussion about events in ME is irrelevant to the point I was (possibly poorly) making, I was pointing out how I felt, and could see my roomate felt frustration with characters and he thought he would be able to kill them from what he had heard about the game. But, my main problem with the series (and what makes me feel alienated) is the plot being so far from what was advertised for ME2 as far as choices.

The first game behaved appropriately, assuming more DLCs came out for it it, but I dont fault Bioware for that either. It had the potential to branch out into multiple story-lines.
Enters ME2:
Nothing effected the storyline of the game, it was a farcry from what it was supposed to be (Kind of like Far Cry 2 but more fun).
I don't believe the proposition that you cannot build plot development in a game where main characters die dynamically. They sure could, have multiple voice actors speak the dialog for main parts. Let your players kill all their companions.

What I am suggesting (I warn you its pretty rough but you get the idea)) is as easy to implement as Shepard endorsing a store. Throw in missions like that for everything, to determine if your companions get along or not. What I suggested is a game-world changing event, but it does not have to effect the main plot. Bioware has the right idea, they are just doing it wrong. The Rachni are an example of this, a conversation based upon what was supposed to be a large decision?

ME2 is linear and it was advertised as not being liner. It was designed to be a safe game investment, safe and non-linear do not work together.
ME2 is all filler. The consequences of your actions in ME likely don't have real implications until ME3. I think ME2 only exists for two reasons: introduce more companions and make Cerberus relevant.