• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
While many are satisfied with having a single screen, imagine gaming across 3 displays with 180° vision. The Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital overcomes the shortcoming of a single or dual display setup and gives you the possiblity to connect up to three DVI based LCD screens with a total resolution of up to 5040 x 1050 for real surround gaming.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core i5
Motherboard Asrock ITX
Cooling Water
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) Radeon R9 290
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos 70" TV
Case Coolermaster ITX
Audio Device(s) Radeon Onboard HDMI
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores -242 whatsoever
nice review, but i have one question does the triplehead support display rotation?

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Nice thorough review, but

Some of the biggest points are:

ATI cards, no matter how modern, will max out at 1440 x 900 per connected display

With certain Intel GPUs running Windows 2000 and XP, modes above 2560 x 1024 (2x 1280 x 1024) will only be available only in 16bpp. ATI and Nvidia GPUs support the maximum resolution under XP and Vista in 32bpp.

HD 3800 and 4800 Series do not support multi-monitor gaming modes with Crossfire

also 1680x1050 is the highest single display resolution supported. It wont do 3x 1600x1200. but 3x 1600x1200 is a more attractive setup, and more common, but is not supported.

I think TPU needs to put an "Executive Summary" up front in the review. You guys do a great job... but TBH, we need a 15 second review version of the article rather than having to read the 3-5 minute in depth discussion.

Mach1.9pants

You've sold it well short

Hi
I read your article with interest as I have a DTH2Go and I think you have really sold it short. A couple of things that you got wrong, or maybe just didn;t have the info to make it right!
1. You can get Vista up and running at 5040x1050, it just takes a bit of work.
2. Every game that runs at 3x1280x1024 also runs at 5040x1050. Off all the games at the moment I am playing only the battlefield series doesn't. So Fallout 3, all the Half life source games, Call of Duty 4/5, ETQW, Company of Heroes, Blazing Angels, Crysis (and Wars) etc etc. I really have no idea why you couldn't get them to run, I have never had a problem with that...only with bad FoV implementation which often requires a 'fixer' (e.g. Bioshock and FarCry 2-until patched; Call of Duty 4/5).

So if you have the money to buy 3xscreens and the unit and keep up with new GPUs to power it I would recommend TH2Go..but it ain't cheap!

You could also go to the WideScreenGamingForum.com for me help and info...

Here are some TH images for you :)

System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core i5
Motherboard Asrock ITX
Cooling Water
Memory 8GB
Case Coolermaster ITX
so can you tell me if display rotation is supported? ... i want to have 3x 16:9 displays rotated by 90°, do you know what i mean?

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
Hi
I read your article with interest as I have a DTH2Go and I think you have really sold it short. A couple of things that you got wrong, or maybe just didn;t have the info to make it right!
1. You can get Vista up and running at 5040x1050, it just takes a bit of work.
2. Every game that runs at 3x1280x1024 also runs at 5040x1050. Off all the games at the moment I am playing only the battlefield series doesn't. So Fallout 3, all the Half life source games, Call of Duty 4/5, ETQW, Company of Heroes, Blazing Angels, Crysis (and Wars) etc etc. I really have no idea why you couldn't get them to run, I have never had a problem with that...only with bad FoV implementation which often requires a 'fixer' (e.g. Bioshock and FarCry 2-until patched; Call of Duty 4/5).

So if you have the money to buy 3xscreens and the unit and keep up with new GPUs to power it I would recommend TH2Go..but it ain't cheap!

I never said that you cannot run it in 5040x1050 in Vista. Try using the newest 180 drivers. They won't let you display the full res. Only a specific software version of the PowerDesk-SE and the 170 drivers on a GTX260 will give you that option. The Widescreenforum mentions the fact that NVIDIA has removed the resolution in their drivers in their Wiki.

The info about the games, came directly from Matrox. It also depends on what DX version is used.

I have had conference calls with matrox and they have even accessed my review rig to troubleshoot. We are actively working to get the usual vista support with the newest NVIDIA drivers.

As for display rotation, I do not believe that it will work - sorry.

cheers
DS

System Name HTPC
Processor Intel Core i5
Motherboard Asrock ITX
Cooling Water
Memory 8GB
Case Coolermaster ITX
damn, but thanks for the info ... 'cuz it's the only thing i am interested in, since i don't like those "streched" resolutions.

Mach1.9pants

I am afraid there is no screen rotation. You cannot, for example, put 3 1680x1050 screen on their side and do 3150x1680. However if the game properly supports a surround gaming resolution there is no 'stretching'. The game just renders extra pixels onto the side screen it doesn't stretch the image. Some games don't support this however (I'm looking at you f*^&*^ing Unreal 3 engine) but often those have a hack which can sort it...

Here is the Widescreengamingforum Surround Gaming FAQ http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/TH2Go_FAQ

And an example of how properly supported games look

As you can see there is no stretching just more screen real estate :)

Mach1.9pants

I never said that you cannot run it in 5040x1050 in Vista. Try using the newest 180 drivers. They won't let you display the full res. Only a specific software version of the PowerDesk-SE and the 170 drivers on a GTX260 will give you that option. The Widescreenforum mentions the fact that NVIDIA has removed the resolution in their drivers in their Wiki.
DS

Sorry, I should have said in my original post: "1. You can get Vista up and running at 5040x1050 with the 180 drivers, it just takes a bit of work."
You can get the latest 180 drivers working at 5040 by setting a custom res, admittedly it is a PITA. Also there is a BETA PD-SE software out that sorts this, but it has just been leaked and is not official. Or you could use XP, the gamer's choice ;), and you have no problems! However, this is the bit where I think you sold the TH short, with my bold:
review said:
We have showcased in our TripleHead2Go Analog review, that surround gaming is a possibility. This holds true for the Digital variant as well. Many games span properly, with a 180 degree view, but I have yet to find a game, which manages 5040 x 1050 resolution.
I am not sure how you didn't find a game that runs at 5040x1050, many run natively (and with correct FoV) out of the box e.g. Crysis, Far Cry 2 (patched- is awesome..they even put the HUD on the centre screen rather than the edge), all the source games etc. DX10 refuses to run in 5040, sure, and getting Vista to run at 5040 with the new drivers is laborious. But as long as you can get 5040 on your desk top, no matter how you do it, you can run 5040x1050 in DX9 mode in any game that will do 3840x1024.

Here is me playing ETQW @5040x1050 5 minutes ago;)

Do you see what I mean? I am not flaming your review but I think that people reading it will get the impression triple wide screen gaming is not possible, which is incorrect.

Last edited:

katanapilot

Any one can describe: "You can get Vista up and running at 5040x1050, it just takes a bit of work."

How is this possible? Here is what I have done:

Got the box to be recognized:

Did the wizard thing:

After the reboot, the wizard should finish – but wait there is an “error” – WTF does a “WINDOWS Error mean”? Latest drivers, latest firmware.

the compatibility tool said I was clear:

This is the highest resolution I can select with 3 head.

I am currently running vista64/GEforce 285 but I have tried 5 other model cards and so far a no go!!!

If some one can shed some light on this one, I would appreciate it.

katanapilot

Try the solutions in this thread and forum. Apparently best to go for the 182.15 drivers at the moment

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14366

Thanks for the help but I just plain old - give up on Matrox. You know If I were them I would remove the support vista/5040 resolution from the site because I tried tonight ALL the custom res, 1.77 drivers, old GXM, New GXM, Beta GXM, 1.80 drivers and you know I feel like a damn guinea pig testing birth control for the Government. The odd part Is I come with 8 years of using their products in my company's simulator equipment -

This was the 1st parhelia PCI - Much before the to go:

So can some one shoot me a PM when ever/If ever them Canadians decide to make their stuff work as advertised? I feel like its a 95% product, and for those thinking well go back to XP 64 bit - don't forget no DX10 there.

BTW the box goes in the closet, and I go back to REAL multi monitor support. YAY 1680x1050 here I come!!!

Mach1.9pants

I'll try and remember.
Yeah it does say on the site now (has for a few months) that 5040 is not available in Vista. No loss for me, Vista is entirely miss able and it is 100% in XP.

I really hope they sort it for Win7, Nvidia and Matrox.

katanapilot

I'll try and remember.
Yeah it does say on the site now (has for a few months) that 5040 is not available in Vista. No loss for me, Vista is entirely miss able and it is 100% in XP.

I really hope they sort it for Win7, Nvidia and Matrox.

Me 2 I have been playing with Win 7 and I like it a lot (fingers crossed)

xmadragex

Gaming on the other hand seems to be limited to 3840 x 1024

from the review it was poorly tested on this part since that in vista dx10 is limited to that resolution basically the game runs on dx10 normally to get 5080by1050 you need to go into the shortcut of the game and add the "-dx9" switch to tell the app its only allow to run on the dx9 so giving the full resolution

also yes there is some games does not support it but matrox added a app to modify the game so it support also most game uses registry and config.ini basically can force the res

older game like shadowflare, sacred and such as a locked resolution due how there programed for there map size

but the TH2GO digital edition is better then the analog becoz most gfx like the nvidia 9800, 295 work best on the dvi port also good monitor able to run on a 57hz refresh rate look better with a dvi port since the analog will give on lcd monitor the "waves" effect on letter as if you have a low refresh rate on (45hz) i do test hardware to a point where i can tech support it lol

but i don;t think that low res is a disavantage if ya know how to force res with games

anyway that my note

thank you for reading

P.S: i like my TH2GO Digital Edition am glad to have it on my system

Kamel

I notice in your review that you had issues with your setup not allowing the largest resolution.

I recently found the same issue and a workaround to fix it on my 8800gt + 24" LCD x 3.

If you try to update your nvidia drivers while the Matrox
powerdesk software is installed... you cannot get the widescreen resolutions to work... or indeed, the Matrox wizard to even complete.

The workaround is to uninstall Powerdesk at the same time that you remove your old Nvidia drivers. Install drivers. Reboot, install powerdesk.

You can guess that I don't update my drivers terribly often these days. :rolleyes:

Now, if only I could figure out why my brand new GTX 260 is giving me lower framerates than my old 8800GT I'd be a happy gamer. :(

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Do you see what I mean? I am not flaming your review but I think that people reading it will get the impression triple wide screen gaming is not possible, which is incorrect.

In the review it IS possible, just not on max resolution.