• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Maximum OC Memory Clock Speed of Several Upcoming ASUS Z690 Leaked

System Name custom
Processor intel i7 9700
Motherboard asrock taichi z370
Cooling EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory 24G Kingston HyperX Fury 2666mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage SSD 960GB crucial + 2 Crucial 500go SSD + 2TO crucial M2
Display(s) BENQ XL2420T
Case Lian-li o11 dynamic der8auer Edition
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply corsair ax1200i
Mouse MX518 legendary edition
Keyboard gigabyte Aivia Osmium
VR HMD PSVR2
Software windows 11
Be prepared for heavy price. Low quantity and holiday release

mobo + ram + cpu gonna be priced high

DDR5-4800 40-40-40-77 at $$$$ with flaky launch-generation support, numerous patches, BIOS flashes, and rapid obsolescence

or

DDR4-4400 19-19-19-39 which is dirt cheap (e.g.Viper Steel) and close to double the performance in all metrics except raw bandwidth, where it still has over 90%....

Not really a valid comparison as the DDR5 kit you refer to is JEDEC standard speed and timings while the Viper Steel are overclocked DDR4 chips that were originally rated from the manufacturer to run at 2133-2666 1.2v.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
I don't think any of these desktop parts will be very popular until GPU prices come down.

If I were in the market right now for a new rig, I'd go laptop, no question. And for that, the best bet is LPDDR4X.

In turn, this will almost certainly slow the adoption of Alder Lake and DDR5.

Well, I have a Core i7-11700 with a B560 motherboard, and I haven't experienced any of the "buggy mess" every media outlet was writing about at launch. I think it all comes down to 1. motherboard choice and quality, and 2. the media writing about every small thing like it was the end of the world just to gain readers/viewers.

It's easy to hate on the latest Intel products without trying them first hand. I've had several Ryzen 3000 and 5000 series CPUs, as well as my 11700 right now, and I'm actually happier with Intel. It is easier to cool in a SFF case with limited airflow, its BIOS options are much clearer and easier to understand, it doesn't need any stupid chipset software to run properly like the Ryzen 3000 series does, and it behaves much better during idle by just adapting to Windows power settings.

Edit: About the "paying beta tester" mentality: I agree that it's at play here, and it's wrong. People tend to advocate choosing a fresh platform with a fresh socket for long-term compatibility. As for me, I tend to go with the last generation of a specific platform to make sure I get something that's well-tested by the public and all issues have been ironed out.
"It is easier to cool in a SFF case with limited airflow" the same has happened to me lately, to the point of thinking about going back to 9700k from 5800x and 5600x. Not gonna do it, but i miss the temps and noise of that platform

System Name The Cum Blaster
Processor R9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wifi
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer LT360
Memory 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 3800C16
Video Card(s) 7900 XTX Nitro+
Storage Lots
Display(s) 4k60hz, 4k144hz
Case Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
"f-gaming" lol

System Name Office / HP Prodesk 490 G3 MT (ex-office)
Processor Intel 13700 (90° limit) / Intel i7-6700
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming H770 Pro / HP 805F H170
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S / Stock
Memory G. Skill Trident XMP 2x16gb DDR5 6400MHz cl32 / Samsung 2x8gb 2133MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060 Ti Dual OC GDDR6X / Zotac GTX 1650 GDDR6 OC
Storage Samsung 2tb 980 PRO MZ / Samsung SSD 1TB 860 EVO + WD blue HDD 1TB (WD10EZEX)
Display(s) Eizo FlexScan EV2455 - 1920x1200 / Panasonic TX-32LS490E 32'' LED 1920x1080
Case Nanoxia Deep Silence 8 Pro / HP microtower
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX750 / OEM 300W bronze
Mouse MS cheap wired / Logitech cheap wired m90
Keyboard MS cheap wired / HP cheap wired
Software W11 / W7 Pro ->10 Pro
Even 7200MT/s with standard timings within the first months of DDR5 will be a success. Although we can only partially compare timings corellated to speed between generations, DDR5 has higher nominal latency, probably due to the embedded light form of ECC.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
"It is easier to cool in a SFF case with limited airflow" the same has happened to me lately, to the point of thinking about going back to 9700k from 5800x and 5600x. Not gonna do it, but i miss the temps and noise of that platform
If you need some tips, feel free to check out my build log / SFF support thread (link in my signature). All in all, I have a slim case, and the only modern AMD CPU I can to cool in it is the R3 3100. Even the R5 3600 got very close to throttling temperatures.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Well, I have a Core i7-11700 with a B560 motherboard, and I haven't experienced any of the "buggy mess" every media outlet was writing about at launch. I think it all comes down to 1. motherboard choice and quality, and 2. the media writing about every small thing like it was the end of the world just to gain readers/viewers.

It's easy to hate on the latest Intel products without trying them first hand. I've had several Ryzen 3000 and 5000 series CPUs, as well as my 11700 right now, and I'm actually happier with Intel. It is easier to cool in a SFF case with limited airflow, its BIOS options are much clearer and easier to understand, it doesn't need any stupid chipset software to run properly like the Ryzen 3000 series does, and it behaves much better during idle by just adapting to Windows power settings.

Edit: About the "paying beta tester" mentality: I agree that it's at play here, and it's wrong. People tend to advocate choosing a fresh platform with a fresh socket for long-term compatibility. As for me, I tend to go with the last generation of a specific platform to make sure I get something that's well-tested by the public and all issues have been ironed out.
Saying the B560 was a smooth launch is kinda missing the point because the B560 was little more than a rebrand of existing silicon. The only thing new in B560 was some additional USB 3.2 support trickled down from higher chipsets in the 400-series and everything else that it offered was either just a change in artificial product segmentation mandated by Intel (Rocket Lake support, unlocks, higher RAM frequencies etc). It was tried-and-tested hardware getting the benefit of trickle-down technology - the literal definition of "playing it safe" for the mass market by Intel.

I'm not even going to bring up AMD here; Just within Intel's own platform history the Z490 was a complete mess. The Z590 didn't do much better despite Intel delaying it two months from CES to their second re-announcement, followed by a month or two to get products on shelves and for vendors to get their initial buggy BIOSes fixed up by a version or two.

For this reason, I avoid Z-series flagship boards whenever possible, choosing H-series or B-series depending on the features needed.

Getting back to the topic at hand, if Intel can't even get Coffee Lake > Comet Lake > Rocket Lake right - all of which are very similar architectures, specs, and sharing the same RAM type, what makes you think they can be trusted for Alder Lake?
  • new architecture,
  • new cores, and mixed core types for the first time.
  • new socket,
  • new RAM type,
  • new PCIe version.
I mean, I would *like* the launch to go well so that we, the consumers, win - but my expectations are extremely low and they are not wild guesses but based on plenty of empirical data.

I'm being optimistic when I say that Alder Lake Z-series might be what I'd call ready for headache-free mainstream users by the time its replacement is officially announced.

Not really a valid comparison as the DDR5 kit you refer to is JEDEC standard speed and timings while the Viper Steel are overclocked DDR4 chips that were originally rated from the manufacturer to run at 2133-2666 1.2v.
This argument has come up every single time there's a new memory technology since as long as I can remember.

Cheap, stable, abundant "overclocked" DDR4 coexists in the market at the same time as expensive, unproven, low-clocked DDR5. Whether you like the comparison or not doesn't change the fact that those are your only two options.

You can't compare heavily-overclocked DDR5 with heavily-overclocked DDR4 because those two things aren't competing in the market at the same time.

Last edited:
System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.
Saying the B560 was a smooth launch is kinda missing the point because the B560 was little more than a rebrand of existing silicon. The only thing new in B560 was some additional USB 3.2 support trickled down from higher chipsets in the 400-series and everything else that it offered was either just a change in artificial product segmentation mandated by Intel (Rocket Lake support, unlocks, higher RAM frequencies etc). It was tried-and-tested hardware getting the benefit of trickle-down technology - the literal definition of "playing it safe" for the mass market by Intel.

I'm not even going to bring up AMD here; Just within Intel's own platform history the Z490 was a complete mess. The Z590 didn't do much better despite Intel delaying it two months from CES to their second re-announcement, followed by a month or two to get products on shelves and for vendors to get their initial buggy BIOSes fixed up by a version or two.

For this reason, I avoid Z-series flagship boards whenever possible, choosing H-series or B-series depending on the features needed.
I don't know how smooth of a launch it was. I only remember reviewers (especially Steve from Hardware Unboxed) b!thching about the variance among VRM setups on B560 boards, and blaming Intel's loose specifications for them. I said at that time (and still hold my opinion) that it's only a matter of motherboard choice. If you buy a cheap board, don't be surprised if it behaves like one. I, for one, have had absolutely no trouble with my Asus Tuf B560M-Plus (wifi).

As for Z-series, I'm in the same shoes as you: I never buy them, as I don't think they're worth the price. Same with K-series CPUs. A fairly decent B-series board with a non-K CPU gets the job done just fine. :)

Getting back to the topic at hand, if Intel can't even get Coffee Lake > Comet Lake > Rocket Lake right - all of which are very similar architectures, specs, and sharing the same RAM type, what makes you think they can be trusted for Alder Lake?
  • new architecture,
  • new cores, and mixed core types for the first time.
  • new socket,
  • new RAM type,
  • new PCIe version.
I mean, I would *like* the launch to go well so that we, the consumers, win - but my expectations are extremely low and they are not wild guesses but based on plenty of empirical data.

I'm being optimistic when I say that Alder Lake Z-series might be what I'd call ready for headache-free mainstream users by the time its replacement is officially announced.
I'm not saying that they can be trusted. I'm on a "wait and see" approach, especially since this will be the first generation of desktop CPUs with a heterogenous core architecture. It might be amazing. It might be the future. Or it might be a flop like AMD's "revolutionary" FX series. We'll only see when it comes out.

What I know for sure is that I won't be among the early adopter crew, as I don't believe in buying into a completely fresh platform with all of its teething issues. 2-3 generations down the line, I'll have a think about it. That's also about the time my Rocket Lake i7 might be worth a swap (or maybe not - again, we'll see).