• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mechanical keyboards are overrated

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
I own SS 6GV2 mechanical keyboard with MX black switches. It's a nice keyboard, but disappointing purchase and why is that? Because it simply isn't really what it was advertised to be. It was supposed to be a gaming keyboard and on box it says that some nolifers used these for e-sports. And yet, I have used that keyboard for 2 years already and nope, it's not a gaming keyboard, never was and will never be, even more so for e-sports. It's a luxurious keyboard, but it's poor for anything fast paced. My problem with it and with mechanical keyboards as well as many fanboys is that they overhype them as an upgrade from rubber dome keyboard and that they are an upgrade in feel and performance, but that hasn't been true to me. I have done typing speed tests on 4 keyboards:
SS 6GV2
Some cheapo A4Tech rubber dome junker
A bit premium Hama scissor switch keyboard
Phone virtual keyboard.
And obviously phone fared the worst without any questions, but still remarkably better than I expected. As for actual keyboards, scissor switch was the best, rubber dome was in the middle and mechanical fared the worst. Also in terms of typing mistakes mechanical also fared poorly. So mech keyboard is slow to type on, makes me more likely to make typos. That's quite poor performance so far. And the last test is very innacurate test of probability of executing dodge (two presses of wasd) with double jump in UT2004. And results haven't changed at all. SS kb sucked there and everywhere else. So why is that? It's due to how deep you have to press each button to bottom out (I'm sure as hell won't be half pressing buttons, when I have to be fast, half pressing is slow and there's no feedback) and mistakes mainly happen due to how tall buttons are and due to big gaps between keys. Also buttons that aren't flat or almost flat suck at typing. And despite having mechanical switches and gaming features like high n key rollover, it sucked at gaming. Knowing that all mechanicals have deep button presses and no acceleration once rubber dome bends, they all are likely to be really slow and likely can be beaten by just simple scissor switch keyboard. A good thing about SS 6GV2 is that it feels luxurious to have linear switches and it's nice to type slowly with it, but that advantage alone is not good enough to compensate worse everything else.

There are many fanboys of mechanical keyboards online, they are well loved, but I think that mechanical keyboards just lack any merit for gamers or typists. At least that's how it worked out for me. Perhaps others can actually benefit from them, but still mechanicals just aren't what they were hyped up to be. And sure as hell mechanical keyboards are way too overpriced for what they are. 3 tiems cheaper scissor switch keyboard wipes the floor with mecha. Now that's what value for money is all about.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I am also thoroughly disappointed by mechanical keyboards. But I also hate chicklets. My weapon of choice seems to be a traditional, slim keyboard.

I was going to buy a mech keyboard, but after reading this, well i am still going to buy one....

You had a bad experience with one product and you blamed the entire industry, that’s not fair

you can get a custom board an choose which switches fit your need that way you’ll be happier

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
I was going to buy a mech keyboard, but after reading this, well i am still going to buy one....

You had a bad experience with one product and you blamed the entire industry, that’s not fair

you can get a custom board an choose which switches fit your need that way you’ll be happier
Two arguments:
1) Why would I still want "better" mecha, when scissor switches are still better?
2) Do you have any idea how much scissor switch keyboard and full custom mecha costs?

D

Deleted member 24505

Before mechanical, everyone used rubber dome and was happy with that, for gaming etc. Since mechanical, rubber dome are the droppings of satans ass. I am always mistyping on my mechanical(K65) and it is fucking noisy, how anyone can handle the clicky fuckers(Had one, ended up dumping it) I don't know. There is no need for them to be so noisy apart from, look at me with my expensive keyboard. I do get the need for lighting, for playing with lights off, but not really RGB.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I agree. But not just unfair, but misguided too!

Whether or not a keyboard is mechanical or not has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not it is a "gaming" keyboard.

Just because a car is a vehicle, that does not mean all vehicles are cars. Nor does it mean all cars are alike.

Plus, the problem with human interface devices (HIDs), like mice and keyboards, is everyone has unique hands. What feels great in my hand or at the end of my fingertips may feel uncomfortable, awkward or even painful to you. Just because you don't like the feel of the very limited number of mechanical keyboards you tried, that IN NO WAY, suggests mechanical keyboards, as an entire class of keyboards, are overrated. That is your biases clouding your opinion.

Also, it is apparent you are misinformed too.
Knowing that all mechanicals have deep button presses
Clearly not true. A few seconds with our friend Bing Google shows there is a wide selection of short-travel, low profile mechanical keyboards.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
I bought a skyloon 64% keyboard here in Thailand, it came with keychron reds optical switches which after buying a sample set decided to switch out to silvers.

Although I'm no typist compared to the rubber domes and cherry MX keyboards I've had over the years this feels like world apart and price wise I spent more on rubber dome keyboards years ago. Actuation speed for gaming and the feel of quality far exceeds the stupidly expensive Mx switch keyboards I've purchased over the years.

I've spent an hour or two stripping it all down and lubricating it all, fitting O-rings to the keycaps as well as trimming down any excess plastic left over from the moulding process (How people consider this a hobby is beyond me) which made the whole thing silent.

All in all its hand down the best keyboard I have ever used but as I said I'm no typist and normally hammer my keys pretty hard.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I miss the good old Keytronic Ergoforce. That's all.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I heard that IBM Model F is the best gaming keyboard used by the most incel e-sport masters. You should try that.

But yeah, seriously if you say that all mechanical switches require deep button presses you must have missed a lot of linear switches.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Yeah, no, not that layout, needs to be ISO layout and not that weird layout which is some odd ANSI/ISO mutation that is unusable.

Two arguments:
1) Why would I still want "better" mecha, when scissor switches are still better?
2) Do you have any idea how much scissor switch keyboard and full custom mecha costs?
I honestly don’t see room for arguments here , it’s personal preference. And this can easily turn into “what do you like is better “ vs “what I like is better “....

you think scissor switch is better, and I say go for it and enjoy it ,just know that neither is “better “ it’s just “better for you”

I know custom boards are expensive, in fact anything custom is expensive not just keyboards right ? That being said , I understand your frustration, you can try a cheaper way , there are keyboards with swappable switches , some are even hot swap no soldering required, get one and spend some time reading about switches and the difference between and I hope you’ll find something that makes you happy ... seeing that you like scissor switches I doubt you’ll find anything with similar key travel distance ...

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
Fine but £140+ for a keyboard is for nutters, do they come with a badge to wear out to show you're a nutter who spent £140+ on a keyboard?
As I've spent considerably more on keyboards in the past I have nothing to say but my current one was around £28 and feels considerably better than the razer black widow I bought years ago for £200+

There are keyboards with swappable switches , some are even hot swap no soldering required,
My current optical keyboard is hot swap and looking at the design In theory all optical switched keyboards should be even if not advertised as such.

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10

Tbh, you can always go into a store and check before you buy. I didn't have that option, I made a leap of faith when I went mechanical. And I was left disappointed. I gave it over two years to grow on me (MX browns fwiw) and I still find I'm making more typos than I did with my cheapo, but not made anymore, A4Tech.

I honestly don’t see room for arguments here , it’s personal preference. And this can easily turn into “what do you like is better “ vs “what I like is better “....
If you bought a car that costs 10x the price of your average sedan and it wouldn't blow the sedan out of any and all waters, would you post the same opinion?

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Yeah, no, not that layout, needs to be ISO layout and not that weird layout which is some odd ANSI/ISO mutation that is unusable.
Don't you dare to hate on big ass enter keyboards!

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
If you bought a car that costs 10x the price of your average sedan and it wouldn't blow the sedan out of any and all waters, would you post the same opinion?
If you didn't have the use of your legs and the car was specifically designed for that disability the cost is irrelevant

System Name MSI-MEG
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism + Thermal Grizzly
Memory 32 GB
Video Card(s) MSI Suprim X RTX 3080
Storage 500 GB MSI Spatium nvme + 500 GB WD nvme + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 2 TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) 27" LG 144HZ 2K ULTRAGEAR
Case MSI MPG Velox Airflow 100P
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing
Power Supply Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse HP OMEN REACTOR
Keyboard Corsair K68
Software Windows10 LTSC 64 bit
Even that mechanical typing sound worths the money. Mechanical keyboards are the best there is no doubt about that. In fact older keyboards were all mechanical but later on the industry moved to membrane in order to cutting the costs.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
That's what this boils down too personal preference and needs

Many people hate the feel of optical switches but personally I adore them, the actuation speed And durability to my sausage fingers is amazing

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Well, I switched to mech. a few years ago and have not looked back since, I can type faster & more accurately on every one that I tried out (10-12 so far) as opposed to other types. I am no expert typist by any means but easily went from 20-30wpm to 50-55wpm on almost every one.

I can't speak as to their suitability for gaming, since I don't do that on my 'puter, but just sayin like the other members, throwing shade on the whole range of products based on limited experience with a few brands/types etc is not really a great way to experience all the benefits & advantages that mech. KB's have to offer IMHO :)

Processor 9600k
Motherboard MSI Z390I Gaming EDGE AC
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory 32GB of G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI 3080 Ventus OC
Storage 2x Intel 660p 1TB
Display(s) Acer CG437KP
Case Streacom BC1 mini
Audio Device(s) Topping MX3
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse R.A.T. DWS
Keyboard HAVIT KB487L / AKKO 3098 / Logitech G19
VR HMD HTC Vive
Benchmark Scores What's a "benchmark"?
What I consider overrated are blanket statements. We have things called "free market" and "free will" which allow everyone to make their own choices regarding preferred keyboard type.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
I agree. But not just unfair, but misguided too!

Whether or not a keyboard is mechanical or not has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not it is a "gaming" keyboard.

Just because a car is a vehicle, that does not mean all vehicles are cars. Nor does it mean all cars are alike.
Not really, I have read about many switches and pretty much anything MX whatever only variate in feedback and key pressing force. There is Topre, but those things are completely unaffordable and they are still trying way too hard to just be scissor switches. There are bunch of other mechas, not from MX, but those still don't have decent reputation and their selection tends to be limited to being clones of MX models, mostly blue and red.

Plus, the problem with human interface devices (HIDs), like mice and keyboards, is everyone has unique hands. What feels great in my hand or at the end of my fingertips may feel uncomfortable, awkward or even painful to you. Just because you don't like the feel of the very limited number of mechanical keyboards you tried, that IN NO WAY, suggests mechanical keyboards, as an entire class of keyboards, are overrated. That is your biases clouding your opinion.
I tried some random Logitech in store too with blue switches, that was the worst feeling ever. It felt scratchy to type on, it was very noisy and it in no way made me think that it was any good. It was an obvious garbage, this SS 6GV2 is way better than it. I don't dislike my SS 6GV2, it's just that its performance is poor.

Also, it is apparent you are misinformed too.

Clearly not true. A few seconds with our friend Bing Google shows there is a wide selection of short-travel, low profile mechanical keyboards.
They are really rare and not sold locally. And I really doubt that they have short travel. Perhaps shorter than standard MX, but not even close to scissor switch. Also those links include bone stock MX switches about which I'm literally writing about. Even this list doesn't have anything truly short travel:

Scissor switches have travel distance of maybe up to 10mm, no mecha is that short.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
I also bought my first mecha earlier this year 'SPC Gear GK630K Tournament' and while its not a bad keyboard I can't really feel that its THAT much better than my previous membrane and fake mecha keyboard in the sub 35$/Euro range.
For this one I paid around 71 so basically double than my usual and I just don't feel the value in that personally.

It works and I can use it the same as my previous ones but eh, if it dies on me I will have no issues going back to membrane and save my money for other things.

Also even tho I picked the Brown switch variant the noise is almost too much for my taste, thats my biggest issue with mechas. 'my friend over Teamspeak drives me crazy with his MX Blues when I hear him typing:shadedshu:'
It has some fancy RGB options for sure but I'm using static colors only anyway.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
But yeah, seriously if you say that all mechanical switches require deep button presses you must have missed a lot of linear switches.
MX Blacks are linear. Nothing really to miss, no other mecha switch trims travel distance by at least two times.

I know custom boards are expensive, in fact anything custom is expensive not just keyboards right ? That being said , I understand your frustration, you can try a cheaper way , there are keyboards with swappable switches , some are even hot swap no soldering required, get one and spend some time reading about switches and the difference between and I hope you’ll find something that makes you happy ... seeing that you like scissor switches I doubt you’ll find anything with similar key travel distance ...
I'm not really frustrated. I already have scissor switch keyboard. If it wasn't already clear, I own all of those keyboards and I already have all I need. In terms of everything being custom expensive, not all things are like that.

I feel like mechanical keyboards are kinda like boots. They are made for work and to get things done but for many people they are also a luxury item, and a point of personal expression so you get some with a lot focus on build quality, and some with crazy color schemes and keycaps, others just want the old school feel of mechanical switches.

Personally I never grew up with mechanical keyboards so it took me awhile to adjust to my G413 but I'm used to keys now and appreciate how they feel. I also really like the AL top plate, and heft of the keyboard in comparison to the cheap plasticy membrane keyboards I used with every computer I grew up with.