• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mechanical keyboards are overrated

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
MX Blacks are linear. Nothing really to miss, no other mecha switch trims travel distance by at least two times.
And it has an actuation force of 60 g. Linears can reach as low as 35 g. MX Blacks have been around since at least 90s, I bet you there are better linear switches than this.

The Cherry MX Black is a linear switch with a medium actuation force of 60g. The higher spring force in the Cherry MX Black provides more resistance than its MX Red linear switch counterpart and is preferred for this reason.

System Name Shizuka
Processor Intel Core i5 10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Cooling Scythe Choten
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Red Dragon V2 RX 580 8GB ~100 watts in Wattman
Storage 512GB WD Blue + 256GB WD Green + 4TH Toshiba X300
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Case Cooler Master Silencio S400
Audio Device(s) Topping D10 + AIWA NSX-V70
Power Supply Chieftec A90 550W (GDP-550C)
Mouse Steel Series Rival 100
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Software Windows 10 Enterprise
Even that mechanical typing sound worths the money. Mechanical keyboards are the best there is no doubt about that. In fact older keyboards were all mechanical but later on the industry moved to membrane in order to cutting the costs.
You are not saying that cost cutting was done, because those old keyboards were way overbuilt. And no mecha keyboard clacking is a noise that must be eliminated, not appreciated. I would rather listen to some drum and bass, than clacking.

I feel like mechanical keyboards are kinda like boots. They are made for work and to get things done but for many people they are also a luxury item, and a point of personal expression so you get some with a lot focus on build quality, and some with crazy color schemes and keycaps, others just want the old school feel of mechanical switches.

Personally I never grew up with mechanical keyboards so it took me awhile to adjust to my G413 but I'm used to keys now and appreciate how they feel. I also really like the AL top plate, and heft of the keyboard in comparison to the cheap plasticy membrane keyboards I used with every computer I grew up with.
There is nothing old school about mechas. In past keyboards had buckling spring switches, same rubber domes, maybe some odd one had something like mechanic, but that was different from today too.

If you bought a car that costs 10x the price of your average sedan and it wouldn't blow the sedan out of any and all waters, would you post the same opinion?
I don’t understand how that applies to keyboards ? Is a mechanical keyboard supposed to type by itself to justify the price difference? It’s a keyboard at the end and you that you’re buying one to type stuff a input to your computer.....

I think you’re comparing a cheap 10$ membrane to a custom or high end mech .... and that’s wrong too .... there are expensive membranes out there and cheap mechs also exist , you get what you pay for either way , that 10x comparison is false from the start

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
And it has an actuation force of 60 g. Linears can reach as low as 35 g. MX Blacks have been around since at least 90s, I bet you there are better linear switches than this.
Their all travel distance is way too high. Force is not travel distance and blacks have quite low force tbh. Anything with less force would feel like broken keyboard, I guess.

I don’t understand how that applies to keyboards ? Is a mechanical keyboard supposed to type by itself to justify the price difference? It’s a keyboard at the end and you that you’re buying one to type stuff a input to your computer.....
Maybe because mechas are supposed to be better than rubber domes? Perhaps improve typing performance, just as they advertise?

There is nothing old school about mechas. In past keyboards had buckling spring switches, same rubber domes, maybe some odd one had something like mechanic, but that was different from today too.
Yeah, I know (through not until recently) but thats still the origins of the cult of mechanical keyboards. Everyone was looking for the that old school that mechanical feel of physical actuating some sort of physical switch.

I own all of those keyboards and I already have all I need. In terms of everything being custom expensive, not all things are like that.
Well that’s great :)
See I was talking in general, for two similar products , if you want that same product customized it’s going to cost more that the generic one in 99.99% of the times , keyboards included, be it mech , membrane or scissor.... the difference in the current market is that only mechs are customizable, so you have nothing to compare a custom board with at the first place ....

Their all travel distance is way too high. Force is not travel distance and blacks have quite low force tbh. Anything with less force would feel like broken keyboard, I guess.

Maybe because mechas are supposed to be better than rubber domes? Perhaps improve typing performance, just as they advertise?
They do , for me at least .... See we’re back to square one , I like mechs because they made my life better, you don’t like mechs because they don’t improve your typing experience......

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Motherboard Msi b550m Mortar +WiFi
Cooling Cryorig m9
Memory Crucial Ballistix c16 B-die 2x8gb
Video Card(s) Powercolor rx570 4gb
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Display(s) Samsung 65" TU7100
Case Zzaw b3
Audio Device(s) Yamaha rx-v363
Power Supply Corsair sf750
Mouse Logitech g300s
Keyboard Custom Skyloong sk64s
Software Windows 11Pro
Many points are being made about switches noise and feel but the majority of that is because they are dry switches thrown in mass produced keyboards pumped out as quickly as possible.

As I said earlier looking after a mechanical keyboard properly is a real pain and extremely tedious but for very little money and a few hours you can completely eradicate the noise and scratchy feel almost completely.

Most people on this forum spends hours and hours building, customising and using computers only to buy an off the shelf keyboard and settle with it but then would turn their nose up at a prebuilt by some large brand which seems hypocritical to me.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I never used a mechanical keyboard to any real extent, but I do remember the guy that thought he was so cool at the tech support job I used to work at. He brought in one of those old IBM keyboards and it was loud as hell as he typed. It became so irritating to everyone around him that management made him take it home.

I can't stand the loud sounds of some of those mechanical keyboards, especially if I'm not the one using them.

Kind of like noises from people chewing. I cannot stand to hear other people chew, but if I'm eating with others, the sound doesn't bother me. Same with those keyboards, if I'm busy typing away the sounds of a keyboard doesn't bother me, but if someone else is typing and I'm in the room...the sound starts to irritate me. I can stand there and listen to nails on a chalkboard all day long, but the sound of chewing or keyboard clacking just gets under my skin.

Last edited:

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
I have an ancient G15 that I still use. It’s kind of mushy these days but the keys still pop back up and everything works. I bought my son a G910 I think it is.. rainbowey.. but it’s easier to make mistakes with that board, so won’t be getting one for myself. I had a nice saitek once and it was actually pretty good. I gave it to my bud when I got the G15. I will be in the market soon for something new soon! I’m interested in what you guys have to say on the subject :cool:

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Well that’s great :)
See I was talking in general, for two similar products , if you want that same product customized it’s going to cost more that the generic one in 99.99% of the times , keyboards included, be it mech , membrane or scissor.... the difference in the current market is that only mechs are customizable, so you have nothing to compare a custom board with at the first place ....
You can mod membranes too. I remember I managed to put some plastic straw under every button to make it actuate faster and it worked. That's very ghetto mod to make simple rubber dome somewhat more similar to scissor switch, but it came at price of it not feeling all that nice.

They do , for me at least .... See we’re back to square one , I like mechs because they made my life better, you don’t like mechs because they don’t improve your typing experience......
I almost want to say "to each their own", but mecha kb status is that they are superior at everything, not really an equal to rubber dome, topre or scissor switches.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Storage WD black sn750 256gb (OS), crucial mx500 1tb(storage),Hitatchi ?? 7200rpm 500gb(Temp files)
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
I have an ancient G15 that I still use. It’s kind of mushy these days but the keys still pop back up and everything works. I bought my son a G910 I think it is.. rainbowey.. but it’s easier to make mistakes with that board, so won’t be getting one for myself. I had a nice saitek once and it was actually pretty good. I gave it to my bud when I got the G15. I will be in the market soon for something new soon! I’m interested in what you guys have to say on the subject :cool:
If you want to try mechanical I would highly suggest picking up a switch tester pack first and of you feel comfortable doing so strip the switches down and just use some vaseline and a qtip to lube them a little to get the feel of a decent switch that gives you an idea of possibilities.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Most people on this forum spends hours and hours building, customising and using computers only to buy an off the shelf keyboard and settle with it but then would turn their nose up at a prebuilt by some large brand which seems hypocritical to me.
Not that spending hours on customizing PCs make sense either.

System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Cooling Xigmatech Tower Cooler
Memory 16 GB G-Skill 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1080ti 11GB
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Display(s) Acer 27" 1440P
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element DAC/AMP
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650 watt
Mouse MX 518
Keyboard Cherry 3000 with Blues
The old IBM keyboards were "clicky" noisy because they changed from old typewriters where the noise told typists that the keypress was successful.
My hands are industrial and I enjoy the strong mechanical feel. I tried a very nice Logitech scissor keyboard and broke it.
We are all different.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Pay more attention to keyboard's shape, button shape, layout than switches. If you like rubber domes, then you can buy some nice rubber dome keyboard. Only mess with mechas if you feel like experimenting, don't expect them to be superior. Depending on C19 countermeasures where you live, go to shop and try them out, see if you like typing feel and etc. Don't buy without trying, unless you are fine with returning it. Just one advice about mechas, MX blue switches are super loud and can be scratchy.

You can mod membranes too. I remember I managed to put some plastic straw under every button to make it actuate faster and it worked. That's very ghetto mod to make simple rubber dome somewhat more similar to scissor switch, but it came at price of it not feeling all that nice.
Yes you can mod pretty much any keyboard out there, but I was talking more about the “proper” custom kb, separate frame , pcb, switches, stabilizer and cable... that’s hard to get by in the membrane keyboards world or any other type of keyboards except mechanicals, so comparing the price of a custom mech to any other keyboard is not possible ....

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
The old IBM keyboards were "clicky" noisy because they changed from old typewriters where the noise told typists that the keypress was successful.
My hands are industrial and I enjoy the strong mechanical feel. I tried a very nice Logitech scissor keyboard and broke it.
We are all different.
I actually went to museum this month and tried to type with typewriter. I can tell you that feedback is dull, key travel distance is enormous and you have to really peck those keys strongly else they don't print letters. No computer keyboard is like that, not even close. I'm glad that we don't have to suffer with those things anymore.

I almost want to say "to each their own", but mecha kb status is that they are superior at everything, not really an equal to rubber dome, topre or scissor switches.
I mean it’s already that way , each person enjoys something that another person might not enjoy.... and no I personally don’t think mechanicals are superior, I didn’t say that ... but I would take a mech over any keyboards every single time ....

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Yes you can mod pretty much any keyboard out there, but I was talking more about the “proper” custom kb, separate frame , pcb, switches, stabilizer and cable... that’s hard to get by in the membrane keyboards world or any other type of keyboards except mechanicals, so comparing the price of a custom mech to any other keyboard is not possible ....
I don't understand the allure of full custom everything. And why would I ever want different PCB, cable separate frame or anything else other than switches and key caps? Sounds like a very dull hobby.

System Name Shoebox
Processor 3600x
Cooling Cryorig m9
Case Zzaw b3
Mouse Logitech g300s
Software Windows 11Pro
Not that spending hours on customizing PCs make sense either.
?? You do realise a few hours is nothing compared to some of the custom mods people undertake on this forum. The majority of us are enthusiasts who take joy and pride in spending hours building systems. If your using something day in day out why not spend the time to get the most out of it especially if it's your passion. It's like saying why did you spend so long restoring that old car when you could just go out and buy a new one.

System Name Main W10
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Gig Z77 HD4
Cooling Xigmatech Tower Cooler
Memory 16 GB G-Skill 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1080ti 11GB
Storage WD Gold 2 TB HD
Display(s) Acer 27" 1440P
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Audio Device(s) JDS Labs Element DAC/AMP
Power Supply Rosewill Hive 650 watt
Mouse MX 518
Keyboard Cherry 3000 with Blues
I actually went to museum this month and tried to type with typewriter. I can tell you that feedback is dull, key travel distance is enormous and you have to really peck those keys strongly else they don't print letters. No computer keyboard is like that, not even close. I'm glad that we don't have to suffer with those things anymore.
That's quite true, but IBM led the business world much more back then and many used their IBM Selectric typewriters and they were much closer to a Model M keyboard.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 50
Cherry brown switch keyboard should be better - more like the dome one, but I have an old Key Tronic D/M:9723 and it is the best.

Attachments

• KeyTronic_30pct.JPG
    KeyTronic_30pct.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 60
I don't understand the allure of full custom everything. And why would I ever want different PCB, cable separate frame or anything else other than switches and key caps? Sounds like a very dull hobby.
Let’s just say .... for the same reason you buy your own mobo , cpu , gpu .... and build the system... satisfaction ? Assurance? Fun ? Maybe All the above and more ....

but that’s another conversation I don’t wanna derail the topic :
“ mechanicals are overrated “

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
?? You do realise a few hours is nothing compared to some of the custom mods people undertake on this forum. The majority of us are enthusiasts who take joy and pride in spending hours building systems. If your using something day in day out why not spend the time to get the most out of it especially if it's your passion.
Once I build computers I forget about them. I do enjoy building process, but not complicated builds or crazy mods.

It's like saying why did you spend so long restoring that old car when you could just go out and buy a new one.
That's poor analogy. Most restored cars are not in production for decades and some people just want older model in nice condition and cars are things, where performance doesn't matter as much as how it feels to drive. Meanwhile, computers are all about performance and only minimally about feel.

You seriously couldn't make any bimmer E30 fan buy newer bimmer, instead of restoring E30.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
Usually gamers prefer Cherry MX reds.

That said, I still prefer the old Model M. No it does not have N-key rollover, but what it does have is no key wobble and consistent key resistance/pressure. Modern mech keyboards especially ignore the key resistance side of the equation. allowing the keys with stabilizers to feel more "heavy" than those without. In IBMs day, they wrote an ergnomics guide and that was a big nono in their eyes, so their keyboards don't have it.

I didn't realize how much this bothered me until I went back to a Model M recently. And yeah, this is probably a personal preference thing.

System Name Shizuka
Cooling Scythe Choten
Display(s) BenQ BL2420PT
Keyboard Hama SL 570
Let’s just say .... for the same reason you buy your own mobo , cpu , gpu .... and build the system... satisfaction ? Assurance? Fun ? Maybe All the above and more ....
The only reason for that is to fit my own needs and only cheap out at things, I deem acceptable. That's all. And maybe because OEMs generally have no idea what they do and fuck up many things.