• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Media Center TV Tuners

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
Hey, I'm getting a Media Center Edition laptop and am wondering if Media Center is compatible with ALL TV tuner cards or if I have to buy an expensive built in one. Thanks

System Name Monolith
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale@3.5GHz
Motherboard MSI P35-Neo
Cooling Active Air
Memory 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 3850 512MB PCI-E
Storage 1 x 80GB Internal, 1 x 250GB Internal, 1 x 40GB External
Display(s) Acer X203w
Case Generic black case with locking front bezel
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 500 Watt Seasonic M12
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
You do mean Windows Media Center don't you? I imagine it is compatible with most main stream TV tuners. I would imagine Media Center Edition would support just as many devices as Windows XP, but as usuall they would be divided into drivers that are "signed" and "unsigned" by Microsoft. I would be willing to bet that, if you can find a third party TV tuner, manufactured by a reputable corporation:laugh: you would have no issues.

System Name Sample light
Processor AMD Phenom II 965
Motherboard MSI DKA790GX
Cooling Zalman 9500LED
Memory 2x 2GB G-skill PC8500
Video Card(s) Asus built AMD/ATI HD4850
Storage 500GB Wesern Digital green
Display(s) too ashamed to tell, but its an acer
Case Lian Li V2000
Audio Device(s) Echo Audiofire 2
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Windows XP pro SP3
might have a fansy shell, might have a nice sticker on it, or they might try to put it apart from the others raising the price tag,

but at the end of the day, theres only 4 chips, Connexant, Ati, Nvidia, and Philips, and all of them have quite good support on windows plataforms,

and they all identify themselfs as video capture devices under windows,

so, unless you buy some weird chinesse tuner from a company that decided to use some obscure chip to save costs, i dont think your going to have alot of problems

avermedia has pcmcia tuners, and their quite good, so does pinnacle, and they tend to have good windows support, on usb i would also check out hauppage and leadtek, and pci, well, its a laptop isnt it ?

darundal

Ok. Not all tuners are supported by windows media center edition. The reasoning behind this (set arse to laugh) is that as windows media center edition would be aimed at a different audience, and micro$haft didn't want to offer tech support for every piece of hardware out there, they will only support certain cards (AKA it requires you have a supported card), plus they will raise the minimum system specs. Don't know if the insane requirements are the same on a laptop, though. Thankfully, ATI and Happauge are amongst those who manufacture cards that are media center compatable, so you should be in luck. Truth be told though, you should ask someone on a dedicated media center edition forum, they can give you the specific information you are probably looking for.

AMDCam

Processor AMD Opteron 148 at (hope) 3.0ghz
Motherboard MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nforce 3 Ultra
Cooling XP-90C (CPU), A400 (Graphics), 8 case fans, 92mm Tornado
Memory 2gb OCZ Gold DDR500 dual-channel
Video Card(s) Leadtek 6800GT near UEE speed (448core/1.18memory)
Storage 2x 80gb WD 7,200rpm 8mb cache Caviar SATA 150 in RAID 0
Display(s) (2 soon) Samsung Syncmaster 172N 17" LCD
Case Atrix black case with A LOT of mods
Audio Device(s) Motherboard
Power Supply Aspire 520w tri-fan blue LEDs
Software Windows XP Home, Office 2003 Professional Edition
Thanks guys. I'm looking at the AverTV PCMCIA tuner now (it's the only MCE compatible card for laptops). I'm also seeing a Diamond Maxtv tuner, which is getting great reviews and supposedly with it's hardware acceleration, it has the best recording and watching clarity. But I'm not sure if it's 100% compatible with MCE, because I can't find out if it's got an MPEG 2 encoder (which is supposedly what MCE 2005 requires), although in it's little demo on the website it says it's compatible with MCE 2005 specifically. So I'll get the Diamond if it has an MPEG 2 encoder and MCE 2005 support, but if it doesn't I guess I'll have to get the Avertv. Thanks guys