• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MegaUpload.com Shuttered: One Month 'Black March' Media Boycott Slated For March 1st

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Yesterday, the website of MegaUpload was shuttered for good by the US Department of Justice over copyright infringement aka 'piracy' and various criminal charges (see the domain seizure graphic). This was done regardless of the many non-infringing files that people were also using it for, so for anyone that had their only copy of a file on the site, this is very bad news. It's also arguably even worse news for the site's operators, as they have been arrested and face extradition from New Zealand to the USA for criminal trial, all their assets seized, including all the domain names and computing infrastructure to run them, plus many personal belongings of very high value, such as fancy cars like Maseratis and Rolls-Royces and huge 100 inch TVs to name just a few.

However, this story, isn't really about this and we have linked to reports below which cover this in great detail (hot beverage recommended). MegaUpload was one of the biggest file sharing sites out there and in fact, one of the biggest sites out there, period. This means, that an awful lot of people all around the world have very much noticed its sudden demise (especially those with their only copy of a file, because they didn't bother to back it up, tsk) and are met with that highly unwelcome Department of Justice graphic, instead. Hence, the chances of an almighty backlash against this shutdown not happening are slim to none. In fact, Anonymous have already hit the websites of the DOJ, RIAA, MPAA & HADOPI (French three strikes) and others in retaliation, with likely much more to come, which is good or bad, depending on one's point of view and how effective one believes it will be.

What's of much greater interest here however, is the call for a truly massive boycott of all media products, but crucially without pirating them. Started yesterday by an anonymous user with a graphic at imgur.com and comments on reddit, it calls for a 'Black March' protest for the whole of March over efforts to censor the internet with bad laws such as SOPA & PIPA and the heavy-handed closure of sites like MegaUpload, which will be made child's play with these laws in place. Ordinary citizens are encouraged not to buy any media products whatsoever during this month: "Do not buy a single record. Do not download a single song, legally or illegally. Do not go to see a single film in cinemas, or download a copy. Do not buy a DVD in the stores. Do not buy a videogame. Do not buy a single book or magazine." The idea is to "leave a gaping hole in media entertainment companies' profits for the 1st quarter, an economic hit which will in turn be observed by governments worldwide as stocks and shares will blip from a large enough loss of incomes."

And finally, the statement of intent: "We will not tolerate the Media Industries' lobbying for legislation which will censor the internet."

That's right, the bottom line - profit, lots of fat profit - is the only thing that these companies understand, so this kind of totally legal voting with one's wallet, but crucially without pirating, is the one thing that this reporter has been saying for some time to do and it's heartening to see that it's going to be used as a protest strategy. Extending this protest far beyond March would be way better and more effective, too. Watch out for the statements of denial by Big Media in the press as the protest starts, while it's in progress and afterwards when the financial accounts have been presented, complete with big holes showing in their profit margins.

REFERENCES

The Black March banner can be downloaded at http://imgur.com/pPDak

MegaUpload shutdown story, at TorrentFreak.

The full text of the DOJ indictment, at the Los Angeles Times. (Long attention span required)

Much more readable summary of the DOJ indictment, at TorrentFreak.

Details of the fancy goods seized can be seen at c|net.

Websites attacked by Anonymous reported by c|net here and here.

The MegaUpload DOJ takedown banner can be viewed in all its original 'glory', at the defunct website: www.megaupload.com

And finally, try viewing this happy-sounding music video/advert for MegaUpload without at least a hint of sadness or a tear in your eye (users who lost their only copy of a file will no doubt be crying their eyes out by the end of this).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
This article deserves more credit than usual, so my grateful thanks to the following tipsters: JustaTinkerer, Live OR Die & to MatTheCat for encouraging me to write this article.

Also, a special thanks to LAN_deRf_HA for posting the boycott graphic, here and for sending me the imgur.com link, which really made this article what it is.

Consider this one a team effort people! :toast:

Reactions: w3b
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
There downfall was hosting the actual files. Don't get me wrong I loved the site. I hope they have a good defense

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.
If you break the law...well you have no one but yourself to blame when the po-po come knocking.

j924

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1100T @4.06ghz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990fx
Cooling Corsair H80
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 570SC
Storage Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Display(s) Yamakasi Catleap Q270 27" (2560x1440 @60Hz)
Case Coolermaster Haf-X
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
"Do not buy a single record. Do not download a single song, legally or illegally. Do not go to see a single film in cinemas, or download a copy. Do not buy a DVD in the stores. Do not buy a videogame. Do not buy a single book or magazine." The idea is to "leave a gaping hole in media entertainment companies' profits for the 1st quarter, an economic hit which will in turn be observed by governments worldwide as stocks and shares will blip from a large enough loss of incomes."
Even though I can't ever see something like this happening, if it actually did happen wouldn't it only hurt retailers?

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Anonymous WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU ????

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
Not to be a douche or anything but I am pretty sure that their business ran on pirated content anyway :S. Everyone I know who knows of Mega-upload use it to download copyrighted material. Although I don't understand why they are being shutdown when MU weren't promoting piracy and were seemingly against it example, "This file has been delete because of copyright content."

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Emule is next you watch !

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Memory GSkill 8GB Dual Channel DDR4-2800
Video Card(s) MSI GamingX RX580 4GB
Storage Kingston V300 240GB SSD + WD Green 2TB
Display(s) ACER K212HL 27" + Haier 55" + Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality Headset
Case Enermax Ostrog (Red)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA B2 750W
Software Win10 64bit
I'm curious as to what TechPowerup's official position is on SOPA? Cause I feel like we are getting qubit’s position and that’s it.

I am one of those who believe that reporters’ opinions and news should be separate.
Otherwise, all our reporters would end up being just like Bill O’Reilly. You tell us what to think instead of just giving us the information and letting us decide. That's what a true journalist does.

That "Black Monday" thing is stupid. Here's what's going to happen. The people that take part in it are the people who will eventually get laid off because earnings are down.

Why don't they encouage people to write letters or call their government rep?

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
So Black March protests now...yeah, that is really sticking it to them. Hurting both the companies for SOPA and those against it.

Now I'm all for hurting those in support of SOPA. Rip em a new one for all I care, but I'm not gonna hurt those who have been anti SOPA since day one.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'm curious as to what TechPowerup's official position is on SOPA? Cause I feel like we are getting qubit’s position and that’s it.

Yes, that is what you are getting. TPU, as far as I know has no official position on it, though they do allow qubit to make these posts, so I guess I really don't know. Aside from that, I completely agree with your points. It seems like some people really like to react before thinking it through.

poopface

anyone who was paying attention in grade school knows this has nothing to do with free speech or censorship of the internet. the fbi mounted evidence against megaupload and a judge gave them the permission to arrest and raid/seize the domain. seriously, you kiddies are defending slugs who profited off of other people's work. you can be for free speech and intellectual property. pretty sad you kids.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
anyone who was paying attention in grade school knows this has nothing to do with free speech or censorship of the internet. the fbi mounted evidence against megaupload and a judge gave them the permission to arrest and raid/seize the domain. seriously, you kiddies are defending slugs who profited off of other people's work. you can be for free speech and intellectual property. pretty sad you kids.

And they did this with out SOPA or PIPA ! So why is it they need MORE laws that they already HAVE ? Just keep adding more and more laws soon every one is lawless ! This would be my point ! See look there are laws that protect the music and the movie industry RIGHT NOW ! There are laws that protect software companies as well , So why is it they need more wider ranging blanket laws ? Is this because the laws on the books now are not working ? BULLSHIT ! Case in POINT MegaUpload ! No there are just too many laws right now and just because they make a new improved version of one they have NOW does nothing to STOP any one from doing what they want in the first place ! NO I do not support any MORE laws !

poopface

And they did this with out SOPA or PIPA ! So why is it they need MORE laws that they already HAVE ? Just keep adding more and more laws soon every one is lawless ! This would be my point ! See look there are laws that protect the music and the movie industry RIGHT NOW ! There are laws that protect software companies as well , So why is it they need more wider ranging blanket laws ? Is this because the laws on the books now are not working ? BULLSHIT ! Case in POINT MegaUpload ! No there are just too many laws right now and just because they make a new improved version of one they have NOW does nothing to STOP any one from doing what they want in the first place ! NO I do not support any MORE laws !

exactly you knob. they did it without SOPA/PIPA which just proves this has nothing to do with free speech. this is a perfectly executed media grab by the powers that be to make young internet basement dwellers look like fools when the dust settles. don't be so quick to point the finger.

lucifersama

1 month without cinema, movies, tv series or songs? easy.
just need to rewatch what i already have on my pc.

and let me get 1 thing right, people want to protest, fight against such laws etc. without hurting any innocents? if only that dream land could be real... its impossible, if you wanna hurt an industry or twist its arm to make it back off something dumb, you will hurt people working in the industry, thats a fact, inescapable fact, you cant have a revolution that is 100% peaceful, otherwise they wont listen.

poopface

the truth is there are powerful people out there who want to control the internet so that they can control the flow of information. so clearly those same people manufacture fake shit storms like megaupload to make the movement against net censorship look like a fraud. the problem is the anti-net cenorship group needs adult leaders, not "anonymous" basement dwellers.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
exactly you knob. they did it without SOPA/PIPA which just proves this has nothing to do with free speech. this is a perfectly executed media grab by the powers that be to make young internet basement dwellers look like fools when the dust settles. don't be so quick to point the finger.

Ok I do not know just who you are or what you are even talking about . First off this is about people that steal movies and music . There is a law already against this . I never said any thing about this being about free speech so you are wrong there . Now let me try to make this clear to you as it seems you are not getting my point . Just how is adding more and more and more laws going to do any thing but infringe on freedom of speech ? Soon it will have too ! Wake up you sound stupid ! Ok we all know that there are copy right laws it is on every movie we buy every music CD has it ( In small print ) . The law is clear The LAW .
My point is when you keep adding this and that and more and more just when do you stop ? When does it become a matter of freedom of speech or expression ? When they take this right away then it is too late ! My point is I want them to stop BEFORE it gets to this point ! But you think it is fine ? Just keep adding more laws on top of the existing ones ? Like this will do the trick ? When do you draw a line and say " This FAR NO FARTHER " ? I just do not get it . People are blind to this , till it really becomes a problem . Hey I say let them pass all them laws let them take every thing they can , I will help them spend there cash I will challenge them laws I will test them in the supreme court . This is America lets not forget this one fact . We the PEOPLE have rights we have a right to speak out against the Government and we have a RIGHT to challenge the laws that the Government passes ! It is in the constitution . But you call me a Knob why ? ( I don't even know what this means ) , Nothing could be farther from the truth . You may think that I am stupid ignorant or a noob . You have that right , See freedom of speech ! Hey it works , But what if within these back door laws being past you were brought up on criminal charges for Bulling me ? HMMM ... :ohwell::wtf::twitch: Sound crazy ? Well you know what there is a LAW that is on the books right now that could just very well do this . See freedom of speech is more at risk than you want to think it is . Just because you think that you are safe , You better think again . Freedom of speech is already being tested and taken away as well . But you do not see this new law as a threat to it nor will you . But it really is , It is just one more step one more LAW away from taking it all away . Just keep telling yourself every thing is fine , Stick your head in the sand , Turn a blind eye . It has worked for you for so long you know no other way ! Me I like a good fight ! I want less government control in my LIFE ! I do not need some suit dummy telling me I can no longer have a pop or a beer ! Or bacon and eggs ! Nor do I need them invading my privately built privately made LIFE ! I do not need them telling me what is right and what is wrong to the point that they invade every thing I do online in MY PRIVATE HOME ! FUCK THAT SHIT !

Last edited:

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.
thickson

What I read from you here is a mixed message. You acknowledge copyright laws. Said (any) laws may be enforced when they are broken. MU is alleged to have broken copyright laws, and the long arm of the law has stepped in. The law is enforced and you call out for a hacker group? To do what? That doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

My understanding of a knob is the part above a tea bag.

People couldn't even manage a day of no Wikipedia without bypassing the blackout banner. I'd love this to happen, but I'm afraid the internet's still too apathetic.

lucifersama

wiki issue was a matter of informing ppl, once you got "informed" you dont need to visit the banner again. plus, wiki banner was not aimed on hurting the industry to make it back off, halting purchases will do that, i mean cant we take 1 month to rewatch what we have or god forbid, go outside? :p
i demand lower rates for cinema ><
paying more and more for remade movies, or new movies with graphics and 0 story or lore is just not fun.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Never heard of them before (mega whatever) and feel that when the cops (or whoever) come to arrest you and you try and disabled your computers and then run into a safe room to hide (with a sawed-off shotgun) tells me that you were not really on the up-and-up in your business practices. Sorry for all those individuals that lost their legitimate files (or whatever). I have never pirated anything (no need when I can buy it) and it appears from what I read that sharing pirated movies and whatever else was their mainstay. They got caught...