• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Meltdown and Spectre Patched BIOS for X58 Motherboards

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
@Dron254 You can't. "NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs" file is for UEFI only, and your board doesn't have EFI mode.
For BIOS you would need a NVME OpRom with ".bin" format (and proper device ID for your drive, so that board can recognise it).
@R-T-B @Ranmamez Some X58 boards enable use of max single/dual turbo multipliers as CPU's locked multipler (ie. in case of X5650, you could set "x20" or "x22" or "x23" on them).
It's basicly what was made into a BIOS option [MCE/Multi Core Enhancement] on Coffee/Kaby Lake CPUs few years ago (and which sparked ALL the fuss about "what is the actual stock clocks" for Intel).

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Any chance of seeing an unofficial bios update for the Intel DX58SO2 before it reaches the End of Life and its BIOS gets removed from the intel website by the end of the current month?

Intel X58 motherboards prevent BIOS modification with checksum protection. Use the microcode boot loader instead.

System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Going above "x4" is easier than you think on X58 (it has 36 PCI-e lanes by default, since it's HEDT platform, which means most boards do have 2x 16x slots and/or third x8 slot).

Bokito38

i am trying to flash my GA-X58A-UD7 Rev.2.0 today.
But I am stuck, and cannot update/flash my bios.

Gigabyte SPI Flash bios update utility gives me an error telling me : Not able to read BIOS File Successfully !!
Also tried the built in Gigabyte flash utility from within the bios, but gives me an error as well something like size is wrong.

also looks like the original bios releases for this board where about 1MB in size, the latest bios about 2MB in size.
So its quit a big bigger..

Anywone can help me out perhaps.. ?

Thanks,

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
i am trying to flash my GA-X58A-UD7 Rev.2.0 today.
But I am stuck, and cannot update/flash my bios.

Gigabyte SPI Flash bios update utility gives me an error telling me : Not able to read BIOS File Successfully !!
Also tried the built in Gigabyte flash utility from within the bios, but gives me an error as well something like size is wrong.

also looks like the original bios releases for this board where about 1MB in size, the latest bios about 2MB in size.
So its quit a big bigger..

Anywone can help me out perhaps.. ?

Thanks,

The included FLASHSPI.exe should be able to flash it. Try to rename the file.

There is no problem with the filesize. Some are 1MB and some are 2MB. BIOS chip is 16MB.

You can also try to use @BIOS from Windows.

Last edited:

There is no problem with the filesize. Some are 1MB and some are 2MB. BIOS chip is 16MB.

It's been a while since I had to do my Gigabyte X58 board but I do remember having to using @bios, as it was the only way to go from a 1mb Bios to the newer 2mb Files, or I got the same Errors, after that I could use the SPI Flash or the built in Tool.

KB.

Bokito38

It's been a while since I had to do my Gigabyte X58 board but I do remember having to using @bios, as it was the only way to go from a 1mb Bios to the newer 2mb Files, or I got the same Errors, after that I could use the SPI Flash or the built in Tool.

KB.

thx for your message !
I will try with @bios flashing under Windows.
let's hope it works, and wont brick my bios..

thx, I am not able to update/flash it with FLASHSPI.exe using DOS.
I will try @bios under Windows now..

thanks for your help !

Ok,

Succesfully flashed the bios now on my GA-X58A-UD7 Rev. 2.0 !! :)
very happy.

Thanks all ! :)

Attachments

• @bios flash succesfully Gigabyte.JPG
    @bios flash succesfully Gigabyte.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 587

Galmok

Linked below is a database of modified BIOSes for X58 motherboards patched with the latest microcode (0x1F for Westmere, 0x1D for Bloomfield) against Meltdown and all variants of Spectre. Make sure the operating system is also updated to be fully protected from speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities (CVE-2017-5715, CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5754).

While most of Nehalem CPUs received a new microcode from Intel, there is an early stepping (C0) that hasn't and therefore still vulnerable at the moment. However, these very few CPUs will also benefit from increased security and stability due to more recent microcode. In addition, the ROMs feature TRIM support for SSDs in RAID0 and extended CPU compatibility table for all motherboards.

Unofficial ROMs! use at your own risk.

Gigabyte *updated on 11/8/2018*

Also, in the listed firmware (GA-EX58-UD3R), will it now support a Xeon X5690?

You wouldn't happen to know anything about memory support? Is it like in the original firmware or did you changes increase support for memory as well? I read "extended CPU compatibility" as more/better memory support as well (as memory controller is part of the cpu) but I could be stretching it here.

Specifically, I'd like to use Registered ECC memory (mostly due to it being much cheaper)...

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Also, in the listed firmware (GA-EX58-UD3R), will it now support a Xeon X5690?

You wouldn't happen to know anything about memory support? Is it like in the original firmware or did you changes increase support for memory as well? I read "extended CPU compatibility" as more/better memory support as well (as memory controller is part of the cpu) but I could be stretching it here.

Specifically, I'd like to use Registered ECC memory (mostly due to it being much cheaper)...

Xeon 5600 series are supported but memory multiplier is capped unlike the 3600 and 900 series. BCLK must be raised to reach high DDR frequencies.

There is no support for ECC in the Gigabyte BIOS. ECC memory modules may or may not work (50/50).

It's better to buy 3x regular brand-new Samsung DDR 1600 memories from eBay. These sticks usually overclock very nicely to the 2000+ range.

Galmok

Xeon 5600 series are supported but memory multiplier is capped unlike the 3600 and 900 series. BCLK must be raised to reach high DDR frequencies.

There is no support for ECC in the Gigabyte BIOS. ECC memory modules may or may not work (50/50).

It's better to buy 3x regular brand-new Samsung DDR 1600 memories from eBay. These sticks usually overclock very nicely to the 2000+ range.

Thank you for answering so fast.

My main concern is if registered memory will work. ECC is less important. If it isn't support, the module may still have without it breaking stuff. But registered memory is the real question.

Some X58 users have success using registered memory and others haven't. There is no clear pattern yet.

Do you know what the memory multiplier cap is for the X5600 cpu? I didn't know it was locked when I ordered it.

Also, unbuffered memory is better in this case, yes, but also costs 2-3 as much which makes looking at registered memory interesting. It is not like I am going to spend a whole lot of money on a 10 year old motherboard.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Registered memory is unlikely to work on Gigabyte X58 motherboards.

Memory multiplier is capped to 10 with X5600 series. W3600 series are better.

fagkop

biostar tpower x58a xeon x5650 w3680

I want to use it. Is there a modified bios?

Last edited:

fagkop

I don't recognize x5650 bios even though it's turned on. Please help. Biostar Tpower x58a

Last edited by a moderator:

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
I don't recognize x5650 bios even though it's turned on. Please help. Biostar Tpower x58a

Update BIOS first and then reset CMOS. Set memory multiplier to 10 for Xeon 5600.

If its a first revision motherboard it may lack physical support for Gulftown.

futures

Regeneration,

1. Thank you for keeping the legendary X58, LGA1366, first gen I7 platform ticking. Your post and all the responses show there are still many enjoying their X58 systems!

2. Greatly appreciate if you would mod and include the more current Gigabyte X58A UD5 Revision 2.0 FF3 BETA BIOS attached with this post. The FF3 BETA BIOS was originally posted on TweakTown's Gigabyte Beta BIOS page - their FF3 link is currently dead. I found one discussion where someone said FF1 included virtualization and FF3 did not. From what I can tell, they both include virtualization, with the only thing easily noticeable is the different build dates during boot up.

Gigabyte X58A UD5 Revision 2.0 BETA BIOS FF3 vs FF1

FF3 date on boot screen 09-06-2011
FF1 date on boot screen 05-15-2011

With an LSI RAID card, during the boot sequence the FF3 BIOS clears the screen before displaying the LSI expansion card, whereas the FF1 BIOS does not clear the screen. There's probably other differences that I simply haven't noticed or looked for.

Have a few Gigabyte X58A UD5 Revision 2.0, and also picked up a UD7 Revision 2.0 and a UD9 when folks where unloading them. Much thanks in advance!

Attachments

• X58AUD5.f3.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 231
Last edited:

futures

Filled my own request and sharing it for others. Applied CPU microcode updates on the the last Gigabyte X58A UD5 Revision 2.0 FF3 Beta BIOS. No other mod, just the microcodes. Tested it on my own computer. Was able to apply it with the @bios Windows GUI. Mind you, my CPU is a, non Xeon, I7 970 which does not benefit from the update. According to the Intel PDF also attached, the BIOS update is only helpful for X58/LGA1366 Nehalem and Westmere Xeon CPUs.

The risk should be minimal with Gigabytes dual BIOS recovery feature, that said.. if your computer does blow up.. consider it a sign to buy something new.

Attachments

• X58AUD5MOD.FF3.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 193
  • microcode-update-guidance.pdf
    385.5 KB · Views: 639

futures

Updated / corrected Gigabyte X58A UD5 Revision 2.0 FF3 Beta BIOS modded with latest CPU microcodes (no other mods - to stay on topic). This one more closely follows Regeneration's changes. There are other useful mods much simpler to apply than CPU Microcodes.

Some tips..
1. Use Regeneration's BIOS as a starting point.
2. Lookup CBROM, a command line tool for customizing AWARD BIOSes common on many. The version may matter. CBROM v1.55.
3. Only tinker with BIOSes if you're extremely comfortable with the matter or have boards that can recover from a bad BIOS flash.

Attachments

• X58AUD5MOD.FF3.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 224
  • microcode-update-guidance.pdf
    385.5 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

b3bis

Hello, new here.
I am a P6T WS Pro owner and a programmer with some (minor) knowledge on low level stuff. I would like to see if there is a way for us to mod the original or modded bios of P6T WS Pro to fix the VT-d problem (BIOS implementation problem). Though, as always I would be keen to someone giving me direction for the first steps on it. WHAT I need to learn and what I will have to do to achieve it.

I would obviously prefer not to brick my mobo as it the one I am using right now but, I have another pc and I also have an offline bios programmer and have achieved to de-brick a bios once in the past. So I am willing to take some chances if there is a bet to be made at all and something good coming out of it. Anyone willing to help me to start this?

Maybe even the OP @Regeneration could give a hand.

Little Steven

Just registered to share a bit more info on the issues I was(/am) having with the GA-X58-UD4P board and a Xeon X5675.

First of all thank you @Regeneration for keeping the X58 alive. Excellent work.

Basically there are 2 main problems with my setup:

1. Overclocking the BCLK in the BIOS to a value above 150 does not work. It doesn't really matter how other settings are set, the moment I raise the BCLK above 150 and hit save-and-exit, the system reboots and immediately shuts down. Then it starts again by itself but all the overclock related settings were reset to some safe defaults and an error message is displayed regarding an instability.

I remember reading somewhere that it is possible to go beyond 150 BLCK by using the EasyTune program. I tried it a few times but it only froze my system (or was it BSOD?).

2. As @Lev00 said- restart doesn't work. If I try to restart the system by using the reset button for example, or selecting restart from a running OS, or even simply hitting alt-ctrl-del while in DOS or in the BIOS menus, the screen will indeed go black and all the LEDs on the motherboard will light up, but the system will not boot. It will remain "frozen" like that until I forcefully power it down. The annoying part is that when I power it up again, the BIOS will detect that the previous boot was unsuccessful, so of course it will reset-to-default all the overclock related settings forcing me to reload them again.

I tried flushing probably most of the known BIOS versions available for this board, but these two issues always remained. I even tried cross-flashing with several BIOS versions for the GA-X58-Extreme board (which is very similar btw). Exact same results.

Using one of those cheap PC Analyzer Diagnostic Cards I noticed that when performing a restart the BIOS was actually stuck in an endless loop going through the same series of boot codes over and over again.

Other than that the system is perfectly stable and it is running 24/7 for quite some time now.

I also have a ga-ex58-udp but with a i7 920. I would like to upgrade it to a 6-cores Xeon but all the people I have read in a lot of forums have the same issue with not being able to pass 150BLK. Do you think is there anything we could change in bios to solve this bug? @Regeneration Thank you so much for your help.
If is we could't find a solution, I could consider buy a W3680 with unlock multiplier.
Thanks again, sorry for my bad english.

SkyHigh

Linked below is a database of modified BIOSes for X58 motherboards patched with the latest microcode (0x1F for Westmere, 0x1D for Bloomfield) against Meltdown and all variants of Spectre. Make sure the operating system is also uter
ASUS *updated on 11/8/2018*
Thanks for this @Regeneration , I just pulled my old P6T out of a cupboard to teach my nephew to build, running 3 original Vertex1 120's in a RAID0 under Win10 along with some other classic goodies.
Was shocked to see windows did not feel like trimming the array, followed the white rabbit again, shaved years off my life and hours off my sleep :sleep:
A super find, thank you for your time and effort, got off the wall and register to say thanks ... I'll be flashing after dinner I'll post back on success. Mucho ❤
J

A super find, thank you for your time and effort, got off the wall and register to say thanks ... I'll be flashing after dinner I'll post back on success. Mucho ❤
J
before... after....
IMG-2283.jpg
IMG-2287.jpg

Seems my Vertex were actually doing their built-in garbage collection thing, good to know if not actually a worry any more :)

All good thanks again @Regeneration :respect:

I also have a ga-ex58-udp but with a i7 920. I would like to upgrade it to a 6-cores Xeon but all the people I have read in a lot of forums have the same issue with not being able to pass 150BLK. Do you think is there anything we could change in bios to solve this bug? @Regeneration Thank you so much for your help.
If is we could't find a solution, I could consider buy a W3680 with unlock multiplier.
Thanks again, sorry for my bad english.
If you're buying an unlocked cpu why care about pushing BCLK? At most, you're gonna add a tiny bit on top of the multiplier overclock. You'll do most of the work upping the multi and voltage to max you're comfortable with and stable, then add fractions with BCLK until you lose stability.
Plus BCLK will change your DRAM frequency too and make it fiddly, so unless you plan to overclock that by more than 50% also, then you're fine.. if the mobo supports W3680 then go for it and forget BCLK. My 2ç coming out of retirement...

Last edited:

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
There is some performance that can be gained by pushing all clocks together. Better memory and bus bandwidth.

Fine-tuning just takes more time to achieve since all components must be stresst tested separately first.

SkyHigh

There is some performance that can be gained by pushing all clocks together. Better memory and bus bandwidth.

Fine-tuning just takes more time to achieve since all components must be stresst tested separately first.
Agree 100% - you'll find no discussion on that from me, I run an old Nehalem C0 i7-940 @ 21*191 aircooled on a P6T, I'm locked on that so no other way to get my results, and the days it took to get there and tune it all in were no doubt very satisfying, and you can find my rig at the top of the stack...
My point in the case of @Little Steven , with his unlocked CPU he can get most of the way to max by multiplier, and then the BCLK 150 wall he's hitting is going to be a non-factor in squeezing out the very last drop of blood for that system - with the gains he can still make in the 100-150 range and judicious use of memory multiplier, he'll be leaving almost nothing on the table, nothing he'd ever notice in use, and definitely not enough IMHO to justify investing in a different mobo to get around the 150 limit... Unless he's competing for something on the pure CPU side, any investment he might make in a quality board would be better spent on a better GPU in terms of overall use results.
But who can resist torturing _all_ the silicon? :)