• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Meltdown and Spectre Patched BIOS for X58 Motherboards

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Hackers use any means necessary to achieve their goal including hardware vulnerabilities and even pretending to be hot single girls (social engineering). I happen to know a start-up that was targeted by Silent Bob is Silent exploit. Sophisticated attacks are usually performed against high-value targets. There is no much to gain from targeting individuals. Hardware vulnerabilities are best used for privilege escalation. If its possible to seal a security hole, do it, better safe than sorry... the performance degradation is not a big deal.

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Then i have to ask how old cpu´s has the patch been tested on then.
Cause what i have read the older CPU, the higher performance loss. With the oldest gen like mine is shut get the biggest hit from these patch.
That would require getting into specific CPUs and with there being dozens, that's too involved (for me anyway) to research and report on. Please note I did not make a blanket statement that there were NO performance losses. I specifically said (with bold underlined emphasis added this time for clarification),
most who have upgraded with the official updated codes have not experienced any "noticeable" performance degradation.

So again, for most users, they did not notice any performance hit. That is not the same as performance losses showing up on benchmarks.

Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6900XT BIOSTAR 16Gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3189,Cinebench R20=3791.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
If someone is interested I can confirm that win 10(1803 latest patch) working perfectly fine and without any issue after I patched my BIOS...I am using ASUS P6X58D Premium and so far didn´t notice any problems and benchmarking resluts difference is almost negligible few points lower here&there....

Can you post a link to the software tools that were used?; that might be useful.
An MSI X58 board that I have should probably also have a microcode update against the Spectre/Meltdown security issue.
The UBU (UEFI Bios Updater) Tool only works on AMI UEFI bioses, which the MSI X58 board pre-dates the non-UEFI to UEFI bios switch-over.
The UEFI Bios Updater is English language software written by a Russian & downloadable from a Russian web site:
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/9SSs/YJbsWyC2V/

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Can you post a link to the software tools that were used?; that might be useful.

Hex editor and microcode samples. I don't have a MSI X58 motherboard around, but if you're willing to take a risk and beta test a modified BIOS, I can try to patch one for you, and eventually to all MSI X58 owners.

Great work! Good to see life being extended for this platform.

Asus support has been useless...
"Please be reminded that since the X79 DELUXE and Z8NA-D6C is already an End of life product, our product engineers were unable to create a fix with Intel for the vulnerabilities. "

Could you try to patch the Z8NA-D6C? https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/Z8NAD6C/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I'm guessing UEFI requires a different process to patch, a bit sad as my x79 Deluxe is barely four years old.

I also have a P6T Deluxe v2 and P6T6, I'll give these a shot when I get a chance.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
This makes sense since not all 1st generation i7s and Xeons received a microcode patch from Intel.

Only CPUs with the following IDs: 106A5, 206C2, 206E6, 206F2.

Please verify CPUID before flashing.

Doesn't the Z8PE-D12X and ASUS Z8NA-D6C support the same CPUs? I find it odd that they'd exclude the newer boards. I have two x5670 206C2 in the Z8NA-D6C.

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Doesn't the Z8PE-D12X and ASUS Z8NA-D6C support the same CPUs? I find it odd that they'd exclude the newer boards. I have two x5670 206C2 in the Z8NA-D6C.

Both boards support exactly the same CPUs. As far as I know, HP is the only vendor to issue BIOS updates even for legacy products.

Yeah, it just blows my mind how little motherboard manufacturers seem to care about these issues.

System Name Unimatrix
Processor Intel i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard ASRock x390 Taichi Ultimate
Cooling Custom Loop
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4 @ 3400MHz 14-14-14-32
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080 with Heatkiller Water Block
Storage 2x Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD in RAID 0, 1x WD Blue 1TB M.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case CoolerMaster P500M Mesh
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Keyboard Corsair K75
Benchmark Scores Really Really High
Wow, thank you! I'm still running my P6T6 WS Revolution with a Xeon so thank you very much.

ReelMcCoy

Thanks for putting these BIOSs out. I'd like to throw in the motherboard I have into the mix of getting an update. It's the MSI XPower Big Bang (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Big_BangXPower.html). I know the site mentions a v1.7 but there was a 1.81 floating around somewhere that I've been running on two systems for years. Not sure where I got it but I still have the file downloaded back in 10/2012 if interested.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
Thanks for putting these BIOSs out. I'd like to throw in the motherboard I have into the mix of getting an update. It's the MSI XPower Big Bang (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Big_BangXPower.html). I know the site mentions a v1.7 but there was a 1.81 floating around somewhere that I've been running on two systems for years. Not sure where I got it but I still have the file downloaded back in 10/2012 if interested.

Just sent a PM regarding same board to OP.

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
Yeah I'll pass - Spectre is BS and it's easier to hack a system with a virus - nobody has been recorded using spectre to hack systems before it got hyped

I think you are confused: the real problem with anyone under attack from spectre / meltdown is that one is unaware one is under attack because both spectre and meltdown aren't viruses and don't leave traces. One can know if one is vulnerable or not to the attacks, and that's it.

Ofc, being targeted by this is quite unlikely for general users but, just because it's unlikely doesn't make it impossible.

Companies OTOH are much more likely to fall under attack but, because both spectre and meltdown don't leave traces, those attacked don't know they've been attacked, which is why these types of issues are of such high security risk.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
And lookie there! There's something for the XPower now. Might be 1.7 based but hey! I'll try it.

He did it on the 1.7 version. If you can get him the 1.81 maybe he will be willing to update. I gave him the direct link to MSI bios page. You may be able to find the 1.81 in the forums? I did a quick search and could not locate.

ReelMcCoy

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Thank you for sending me the link. I updated the XPower ROM to 1.81 beta since it features improved memory compatibility.

On another note, anyone having problems flashing Gigabyte ROMs should re-download.

Last edited:
I cannot speak for the unofficial/unauthorized updates, but I note most who have upgraded with the official updated codes have not experienced any "noticeable" performance degradation.
Utter rubbish. It depends on the system and the care taken to implement the patches correctly, which is not always the case.

Thank you so much!
I just patched my Rampage II. I see no performance hit with the patched BIOS.
fnthjyg.jpgfntjyg.jpgfntyg.jpg

Last edited:

Spudz76

Cool waste of time!

Speaking of time, your processor is still """vulnerable""" for about half a second before BIOS loads the microcode. As """vulnerable""" as it would be for the five seconds or so it takes before the OS would have loaded the same microcode into it, if you've installed system updates on any current OS (and most outdated ones too) in the last 3 to 6 months. Thus, risking it and flashing BIOS is only protecting you from exploits in a five second window, where nothing can even happen because you aren't booted into an OS yet. Besides that this bug only matters on large hypervisors really, so if you don't run the servers at Amazon S3 or similar you don't need to patch for this, at all. You might as well get a car alarm for your 1992 Geo Metro, or a full-on armed bank guard service for your piggy bank... nobody is targeting the useless contents of your personal computer, it's far easier to trick idiots with regular worms or fake portal login pages. They want the big high density apartment condos since this lets them see through walls, fiddling with Xray vision in your ranch house where you live alone nets them no cool data.

But it's entertaining to watch everyone chase their tails as if doing something positive. I'm just sad nobody bricked a board yet doing these better safe than sorry voodoo rituals on their flash, and losing their warranty in the process. Don't you think if it mattered whatsoever to have current microcode in BIOS, the board manufacturer would slip a new approved version out so it wouldn't void warranty? They didn't, both because it's unimportant to load it that early (unless it breaks boot handoff to the OS / supports a newer CPU), and the OS providers released patches, so you're already running new microcode unless you intentionally blocked the updates or reverted (to keep your performance). Therefore I bet you morons are benchmarking the same microcode and then claiming no degradation - well yeah you've tested apples against apples of course there is no difference. You've just moved when the patched microcode got loaded by a few seconds, both events happen well before you can even login. You would have to ensure the OS is not loading any new microcode, run "before" benchmarks, flash the hacked warranty blaster BIOS from here and then do the "after", to see a real result. It can be tough to trace which MS KB# installed various microcode versions into Windows in order to revert them, to get an accurate test, but you would have to have done that to test real unpatched microcode (or run the before benchmark last year before any paranoid-panic-OS-vendor-patchfest happened).

You might as well wear full body armor on top of bubble wrap to go to the store, you know, good old better safe than sorry. Also, walk, because driving is more risky than leaving this bug unfixed. But don't cross any streets as that is probably more unsafe than driving. Oh and wear a helmet too, so regular people know you're "insane about safety" (they would only suspect regular insanity otherwise).