1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mesh windows?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by FAXA, Jul 29, 2007.

1. FAXA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking about replacing the Window on my CM5 with some mesh (the sort of mesh at the front of the case) because its got a small crack in it.

Before I do it though, is it a good idea? Would it improve my airflow at all?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    AC Ryan, yes it will, funnily enough... it works well, preventing all dust and yes it WILL improve your airflow. But one problem, sound will leak out.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. FAXA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok thanks....I'm not bothered about sound so that's no problem for me :D.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Carcenomy

Carcenomy New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's pros and cons. It DOES look alright, but it does mess with airflow inside the case, and can affect cooling performance. Much like having the sidepanel off does.

[​IMG]

My case has a mesh window, but the mesh is just used to prevent damage to the acrylic behind it. It's also not finished, as the flash clearly shows, the case is still in primer at this point.

I do strongly recommend ACRyan's MeshX panel though, good quality mesh and it's a good price.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    my case has a mesh like side and the cooling is just fine.
    [​IMG]

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Carcenomy

Carcenomy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Fair enough. It won't SERIOUSLY hamper things, but it isn't helping any. Like I said, it's about the equivalent of having your sidepanel off. It won't hurt anything but it won't give the aid of better air direction.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    With mine i get lower CPU temp having the mesh like that. I covered the side with paper just to see how much it affected the temps. the CPU temp about 4c but with the side letting air in the CPU fan sucks the cooler air from the room into the CPU.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Carcenomy

Carcenomy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Style of cooler, how fans are placed etc, it all has an effect. My machine runs a little warmer with the sides removed.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    Ya that is true.I agree with that. There is something i don't like it is hard to keep under the video card cool.I have the fan in the front blowing cool air in than up in some extra 3 1/2 drive bays i have another fan so it gets some of that cool air above the video card also i have a slot cooler to suck the heat out that is the only way i have been able to keep it cool under the video card. Now from the video card up it runs nice and cool.

10 Year Member at TPU