• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

messed up partition table

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Software win 7 ultimate 64bit
I wanted to resize my drive C and create a new partition. So, I used Acronis boot CD to do it. Full version kept telling me that it can't find any hard drive, while Partition Magic was telling me that there is an partition table error.
So, after a couple of tries, Acronis started in what they call safe mode (not windows safe mode, it's still on boot cd). It took 4 hours to resize partition and after that... Win7RC and WinXPpro were no longer bootable.
I was still getting the boot menu from win 7, but it couldn't boot to any windows saying it was either not there or corrupt. I used another bootable CD to browse files. Drive C was alright, just some files broken. So, I decided to check what new partitions are there. Acronis created 2 new partitions of the wrong size... I used fixboot in windows repair console and it said that drive C is FAT, while in fact it was never FAT. So, it turned it into fat, after that files on drive C were no longer accessible. :banghead:
I'm using Partition Table Doctor to repair partitions, but it doesn't do anything good... it farther divides drive C into free space and Linux partitions... :banghead:
Anyway, right now what i have is drive C being divided into two (or more) parts, some of which are marked as free space.
I think it might have something to do with the fact that i pressed cancel while acronis was working because it was taking too long, but it still didn't stop and kept going for 4 hours just as it said in the beginning.

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
i have deleted 10mb c: "fat" partition in hopes that it would be easier to recover it in one piece...
i started Active@ partition recovery software and when it searched for deleted partitions it finds Fat12 and Fat16 partitions right away, then its' long search... i canceled it because didn't think anything would be found and progress bar just wasn't moving or moving horribly slow.
may be next time then...
right now partition table doctor tries to recover partition table for what used to be drive C... will see how it goes...

UPDATE:
using live CD and r-studio, backing up files from broken drive c:...

Last edited:
Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Solved!!!

SOLVED!!!

So, after many many hours, the problem is solved. I should have done it in the beginning... All I had to do was manually rebuild partition table via Partition Table Doctor, not automatically. It couldn't detect NTFS C: drive, so I booted from live CD and used Active@ Partition Recovery soft to find and restore c: drive. only problem is that some files, got damaged in the process... not many, but there are some. Another problem is that none of the previous windows installations work, saying that "ntoskernl.exe is corrupt", but replacing the file with multiple different versions has done nothing to revive the OS.
So, I decided to do what I originally wanted and installed Win7 on new partition. After a couple more hours trying to find drivers for my wifi, it was set up and ready to go! :laugh:

Thanks to all the readers, lol!