• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mic echoing with a headset

Processor I5 8400
Motherboard H310M DS2
Cooling 1 stock case fan
Memory 2x8GB 2400
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 1070 TWIN x2 v3
Storage CT240BX200SSD1 (240GB SSD) + TOSHIBAHDWE140 (4TB HDD)
Display(s) G246HL 1080p 60hz
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Power Supply Seasonic M12II-520 EVO
Mouse Madcatz MMO TE
Software OS : Windows 10 Pro 64 bits
Hey. I've got a GA-78LMT-S2P motherboard with a S.O.G XPERT-H1 headset (it's USB, the mic is attached and retractable).

Any sound that comes through my headset echoes into my mic. It's exactly like if I had speakers.

Couldn't fix this problem in years, hoping somebody here may at least shed some light on its source. I will try the headset on another computer later on today, but in the meanwhile here's what I've tried and what I know :
- That headset's quality is pretty poor all around (I got it for 32€). Drivers suck balls, the headphones' coating is shedding off ... I regret buying off-brand. I've seen many people saying that a poor quality headset will have this kind of problem, due to the wiring of the cables inside, so this is a possibility, though I'd rather fix it if possible at all.
- It appears that only sounds that come off the left side echo into the mic (and it's attached to the left side). I noticed that when listening to my mic and running the little windows sound test that plays something left then right.
- No sound is echoed when the mic is muted.
- Sound still echoes at the same volume when blocking the microphone with some cloth. (so it's not sound leaking from the headphones)
- This kept happening throughout several windows installations (and several drivers installations).
- No Stereo Mix to disable, couldn't find anything to disable anywhere.
- Tried plugging it in the front of my case (it's usually back).

The last headset I had before this one also had this problem, except it actually appeared overnight. That btw was one of the reasons I got a new headset.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be coming from ? Any sure way to confirm that this is a hardware problem and not software ?

Thanks for reading. Have a good one !

PS : For anyone curious why I'm trying to fix this now after years, discord has an echo cancellation feature which made the issue rather trivial, but I started playing Overwatch and I don't want to annoy anyone with echo (especially since I'd rather be open mic than push to talk).

Edit : for reference here's the other post I made about this before giving up http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...king-up-sound-from-my-headphones-1147913.html

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Subbing because friends of mine have this issue on discord, and i'd love to know why the F it does it to them

my friends get this on USB and analog, mostly with razer headsets

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
Make sure you dont have any sound options in playback or in mic properlies set incorrectly. Volume boost, or anything similar, verify "listen to mic" isnt enabled. Noise cancellation under sound settings/enhancements may help too, as iirc its intended to filter out background mic noise. Also seenif plugging headset in rear or front panel helps.

Capture.JPG

headset's quality is pretty poor all around (
Drivers suck balls, the headphones' coating is shedding off ... I regret buying off-brand. I've seen many people saying that a poor quality headset will have this kind of problem, due to the wiring of the cables inside,
none of this is good obv., hopefully dropping sensitivity,etc helps. GL

Last edited:
Processor I5 8400
Motherboard H310M DS2
Cooling 1 stock case fan
Memory 2x8GB 2400
Mouse Madcatz MMO TE
Tried front panel, it didn't work. Note that my drivers are so bad I have to reinstall them each time I plug the usb somewhere else.

Listen to mic isn't enabled. There was an "AGC" checkbox, which made my mic sound louder, like a boost - unticking it didn't do anything to the echo though (there was less echo I guess, but that's normal since the mic was quieter).

The Noise Suppression thing that you're showing me I think is something specific to your drivers. All I have is two silly "echo" and "magic voice" effects ... disabling all sound effects doesn't do anything, and I don't have any "Immediate Mode" checkbox. Sorry about the french UI -
Thanks for the help :)

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
Tried front panel, it didn't work. Note that my drivers are so bad I have to reinstall them each time I plug the usb somewhere else.

Listen to mic isn't enabled. There was an "AGC" checkbox, which made my mic sound louder, like a boost - unticking it didn't do anything to the echo though (there was less echo I guess, but that's normal since the mic was quieter).

The Noise Suppression thing that you're showing me I think is something specific to your drivers. All I have is two silly "echo" and "magic voice" effects ... disabling all sound effects doesn't do anything, and I don't have any "Immediate Mode" checkbox. Sorry about the french UI -
Thanks for the help :)

do you have a splitter, or cable adapter ,etc? something between the headset & the PC?
As you described this as a continuing situation, sadly yuou might be stuck until you replace the headset with a proper one.

maybe something like this depending on your current location.

i got these for cheap a year or so back. My daughter uses them, and the work fine...they arent fancy, but they arent bad either. Id suggest doing your best to get a reliable set, and with them a reliable audio software. short of this, a sound card might help, possibly a USB type, i know of some external options that arent too expensive.

i have one of these, and they use a different sound chip other than what is native to windows, maybe that might help, but id just go with a new headset personally.

also, id like to suggest you NOT install audio drivers for the device, and let windows do its thing. maybe the poor driver is causing the problem.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
- It appears that only sounds that come off the left side echo into the mic (and it's attached to the left side). I noticed that when listening to my mic and running the little windows sound test that plays something left then right.
This nails it: there's nothing you can do other than replace it with a quality one.

The el-cheapo headset has the problem of sound conduction through the boom supporting the mic. A good one will have been designed to minimise this. You could try lowering the headphone volume a bit to alleviate it.

Processor I5 8400
Motherboard H310M DS2
Cooling 1 stock case fan
Memory 2x8GB 2400
Mouse Madcatz MMO TE
@qubit After testing more thoroughly, there is an echo for sound in the right channel, it's just much quieter. Tried playing 2 sounds in left and right channel several times and it was much easier to have an echo in the left channel (the 2 sounds had the same volume).

@jboydgolfer No cable adapter or anything like this. I'll try without any drivers installed and report, but I think I'd already done this before.

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
@qubit After testing more thoroughly, there is an echo for sound in the right channel, it's just much quieter. Tried playing 2 sounds in left and right channel several times and it was much easier to have an echo in the left channel (the 2 sounds had the same volume).

@jboydgolfer No cable adapter or anything like this. I'll try without any drivers installed and report, but I think I'd already done this before.

Yeah I'm guessing you've tried just about everything. I noticed you mentioned youve been dealing with it for quite some time. Sadly I think you're going to need to purchase a better heads set.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Yes, I'm not surprised, since there's still sound conduction through the headband, your head and even through the air (think of that tinny sound you hear from someone else's headphones). I've got a Turtle Beach headset which is very good, as a starting point for a decent branded headset.

Last edited:
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
I don't know if you use your headsets with multiple platforms, but being a parent ,having multiple kids, over the years I've learned to purchase headsets intelligently ,so I don't have to purchase one for each damn device.

In my experience the best ones to buy are those with 3.5 mm connectors, because they work for the PlayStation4, and XboxoneS ,as well as PC and mobile (sometimes requiring a splitter cable).

I have a pair of razor kraken pro which use 3.5 mm splitter adapter and my nephew Colby uses it for everything he has. I purchased a Sennheiser gaming headset for my other nephew ,which also uses 3.5 splitter ,and he uses it for three different devices. None of these cost over $60. Just a food for thought point

Processor I5 8400
Motherboard H310M DS2
Cooling 1 stock case fan
Memory 2x8GB 2400
Mouse Madcatz MMO TE
Alright. Tested without drivers : still does it. On another computer, still does it as well.

I'll look into getting a quality headset and post back the results. Might be a while though as I'm budgeting for a new rig right now.
@Mussels your friends might have shit headsets like I do :/

Thanks for the help qubit and jboydgolfer, it's much appreciated :)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes