1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MicroFly/Qpack MODernize

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MKmods, Apr 3, 2009.

1. kyle2020 Guest

Can i just quickly ask MK, on a completely unrelated side issue (but your the man who knows about this kind of thing) - the fan on my HDT S1283 is a 4 pin fan, now if I was to buy a second identical fan for a push / pull arrangement, could I cut and splice the 2 fan cables together so they both run off the same 4 pin header?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    http://www.feppaspot.com/servlet/the-99/GELID-PWM-Y-Cable/Detail

I would be careful about the amount of power the fans require. I heard a while ago from a mobo designer that the fan headers were set up to supply about .25A to onboard fan headers
    (I have run more but always worried if I would overload the traces in the mobo)

Scrizz says thanks.
  3. kyle2020 Guest

Thank you MK.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    The fans on my case, are all done via single stringed line. If it wouldn't look to bad, I'd suggest to you Kyle, is splice it into one, then run the cable up and over the board to a molex connector. That would be a safer bet.. UNless your mobo can handle that much draw.

5. tzitzibp

tzitzibp

Thanks Received:
    just to answer kyle2020's question....

your mobo can run up to about 0.6A on the cpu fan 4-pin headerwith no worries. In terms of available and safe Amps provided by the mobo that would be reaching the limit (0.25 x 3(common engineering safety factor) = 0.75Amps)

I never went over 0.5Amps on my max formula, with a push-pull set up and I had no problems.

anyway if you need a push-pull set up, try to find this....[​IMG]

MKmods says thanks.
  6. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I just placed an order for a bunch of new molex plugs and pins. Since I have a bunch of extra time (no deadline) I am playing with the 7" LCD and iMon to see what I like better.

I may replace the 120mm fan in the PS with 2 of the 90mm Sanyo denkis I got from CD, also redesigning the PS housing to have a window and interior lighting.

Im making a CF bracket for my modded AC Freezer to compare the temps between it and the Enzo Ultra.

When the pins show up I will post up some more picts.

7. Mark_Hardware

Mark_Hardware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats a pretty big difference between and iMon and a 7" lcd lol

8. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    well I have them both so I am seeing what one is more usable.(actually what one looks cooler, lol)

This is kind of fun, by now usually I would have taken the comp all apart and started on a new project, this is the first time I have refined the original project.

9. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Hey, since you have all the extra time.. Going to do the "how to" on the copper PCI-E tubing that you did?

I'm glad that your taking your time man... It's been a long mod, but at lease you've got it to where it's nothing going to crap out in the end.. Not saying that your stuff will ever do it, but you know what I mean.

:respect:

MKmods says thanks.
  10. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    Basically its all ur fault ( my continuing that is) I kept watching your mod and thinking how cool it is that you keep improving it...

When the new pins show up I will do a mini log..

Scrizz and Cold Storm say thanks.
  11. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:

Lol... I really don't think its my mod that's doing it.. lol.. All though, I'm not going to be going i7. I'm looking to finish my AMD/ATI set up before I go do anything else!!! lol
    So, water coming!!!

Sweetness on the log, Gotta make sure to let us know!!
    :toast:

12. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    It will continue...

I went with i7 for this and honestly wish I stayed with AMD. The i7 works fine but my dual core Xeon W3503 at stock hogs more power than my AMD Quad 940 did while being OCd....

I like the option to upgrade, and to switch between SLI and Crossfire (something I seem to continually do)

The triple channel memory is cool (cheap to get 3 gigs for those on 32bit OSs) And honestly this mobo (Bloodrage GTI has been a champ through all my modding it still works fine)

Right now I am running Win 7 64 bit on it with the 6 gigs of OCZ memory and all the programs seem to work fine except I seem to be having probs with SLI in a few games (I think its an Intel chipset prob). But to Foxconns credit using their Vista 64 bit drivers and Utilities work perfectly so far (I even updated the bios using Foxconns utility)

I have a pair of 4830s from kenkicker (thanks:respect: )coming to run in crossfire, the 4870s were silly (way overkill)

Well done Foxconn

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  13. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Overkill is a word that simply does not exist in the enthusiast world. :D

And this is a high-end gaming rig with multiple cards, if power consumption was such a concern, why would you run 2 cards anyway? Should've stuck with the 4870's, imo.

Scrizz says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  14. Mark_Hardware

Mark_Hardware New Member

Thanks Received:
    ;)

MKmods says thanks.
  15. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    oo i love mini-logs :D

we want moar pics :rockout:
    :respect::respect::respect:

MKmods says thanks.
  16. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    With the twin 4870s the power draw was between 500-600 watts. (not to mention the amount of heat radiating off the 4870s was VERY noticeable). Add to that I couldnt tell any diff in my games between 1 or 2 of them (overkill).

The reason for multiple cards is because to me it looks cool, the other reason is there just arent many SFF cases that allow multiple cards.

17. CyberDruid

CyberDruid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I still want to CF my lil Pink Puter with some HD4870X2s... :p I've got the stripped boards...laying in a drawer. Gotta put the stock coolers back on and see if they work. The EK FC waterblocks messed them up somehow.

I agree...the only reason I have two cards is because I can :D...and a pair of nickelplated copper blocks with clear tops makes me randy.

MKmods says thanks.
  18. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I fully understand "because I can". I also understand heat concerns in certain situations. What I don't understand is why worry about power consumption if you choose to use 2 cards (short of worrying about psu limitations)?

I just seems wrong to me to pick 9800GT SLI over 4870 CFX. lol.

MKmods says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  19. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    the 9800GTs use several hundred less watts and play all my games at Max.
    (personally I would like to have tried a pair of 4770s but couldnt get them)

The 9800s were a very good deal and are very easy for me to sell to move on to the next card I use.
    (cost me less than 1/2 of the 4870s and the 4870s weren't double the performance)

The 9800s also were 10C cooler and didnt radiate anywhere near the same amount of heat.

They had black PCBs that matched the mobo (small detail but one never the less)

They also have digital panels that show the temp, voltage and fan speed (also a small detail but mattered as well)

They also only used 1 6 pin power plug (saved me a bunch of extra wiring)

When using dual cards the second card dosent require as much power as the first so the power draw isant double.

Had the displays worked on the 9600GTs I would have preferred them over the 9800GTs
    (a pair of 9600GTs to me is the best when value/performance is the +1 goal)

I just like SLI better

if you need any more reasons just let me know...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  20. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    lol. I'm just busting your balls anyway. I always pick power over looks, but I know how much looks matter in mods like this.

And isn't 4830 CFX more of a crossgrade? Or are you just trying to see if they'll integrate better?

MKmods says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  21. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I got the 4830s because they were there.

it helped out kenkicker

they came with Zalman VF900 coolers (that I can use on other cards)

I can sell them both and get all my $ out of the deal (if the 4770s become available) or the next gen stuff is a good deal.

Bust away.....I have no prob explaining my reasoning (although it may not always seem like im make sane decisions all the time :twitch:)

These were the cards I REALLY wanted (but just couldnt get)
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10010472

22. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I want to know ALL the reasons! :roll: lol... nah, it's all about the wattage! Like all about the money.. Lol..

23. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, as far as wattage, I run all of my hardware at overclocked settings 24/7. No downclocking at idle, not even the gfx cards drop out of 3d mode. lol.

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Wile, that's why we think of you has the "hardware killer"... You fit right in with OC-lit!

25. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    for the poor folks!?!!?!?! you avin a laugh aint ya?!?!?! im stil on 775:D

(yes that was the typical british accent going on in my head then)

MKmods says thanks.