• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft And Game Publishers Will Reportedly Take A Cut Of Xbox One Used Game Sales

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Basically a consumer will be able to bring their used game into a retailer and trade it in for cash or credit like they do now. At this point, the retailer will enter it into their Azure system (after being wiped from the seller’s Xbox One Live profile.) The retailer sets the price—within limits—and the eventual sale is divided three ways, with the split percentage determined by Microsoft.That percentage may be as low as 10% for retailers.

Source:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...of-xbox-one-used-game-sales/?partner=yahootix

So, besides - according to other reports - asking for a fee from gamers to activate used games, M$ is also going for a big chunk of the monies generated by the sales of said games.

Gamestop's CEO must be shitting his pants after hearing this, these scheme basically guarantees that most game publishers will flock to the One, as they're getting a cut of the profits too, is this even legal?

Sad thing is, now Sony and Nintendo may be forced to follow suit with similar policies, or else risk loosing access to games that otherwise would be multiplatform releases.

Not looking good at all :(

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
For consumers it might not be a bad thing though. Gamestop gives so little for trade ins and makes them up so freakin' much it makes me sick. Usually the used games are only about $10 less than a new version, sometimes only $5 if the game is still a hot seller, their mark ups are in the 300%+ range most of the time.

I'd actually be happy to see Microsoft and Sony taking control of this racket a little more, dictating how much the games can be marked up, and giving some profits to the original publisher/developer.

Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
For consumers it might not be a bad thing though. Gamestop gives so little for trade ins and makes them up so freakin' much it makes me sick. Usually the used games are only about $10 less than a new version, sometimes only $5 if the game is still a hot seller, their mark ups are in the 300%+ range most of the time.

I'd actually be happy to see Microsoft and Sony taking control of this racket a little more, dictating how much the games can be marked up, and giving some profits to the original publisher/developer.

Yup, I don't care for Gamestop either, greedy bastards deserve what's coming to them...

The big question is, what if it's the original owner of the game who's selling it? What if you are in college and need the money to help purchase another game or a book? What if ten years down the road you want to sell all your used games in a garage sale?

Remember, you'll have to access Azure's cloud service before even selling the game, otherwise you'll be just selling a paperweight, and according to the report M$ will request, no, demand a fee that covers their profit and the publisher's from your sale in order to allow you to sell the game, heck they'll even set a limit on how much you can ask for a classic game in the future. Are you willing to take a cut from your asking price in order to pay this fee?

And then whoever purchases the game must actually pay a fee to activate the game on his end, so this person will ask you to further cut this fee from your asking price.

Is this practice even legal?

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Does GM get a cut when a used car dealer sales a preowned Silverado?

I don't think it does, but you wanna ask yourself, do you have to mail a check to GM if you sold this truck yourself to your uncle, in order for them to enable the ignition to start the engine?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yup, I don't care for Gamestop either, greedy bastards deserve what's coming to them...

The big question is, what if it's the original owner of the game who's selling it? What if you are in college and need the money to help purchase another game or a book? What if ten years down the road you want to sell all your used games in a garage sale?

Remember, you'll have to access Azure's cloud service before even selling the game, otherwise you'll be just selling a paperweight, and according to the report M$ will request, no, demand a fee that covers their profit and the publisher's from your sale in order to allow you to sell the game, heck they'll even set a limit on how much you can ask for a classic game in the future. Are you willing to take a cut from your asking price in order to pay this fee?

And then whoever purchases the game must actually pay a fee to activate the game on his end, so this person will ask you to further cut this fee from your asking price.

Is this practice even legal?

Saddly, yes it is legal, at least in the US. Heck, they could just say you can't sell the game at all and it would be legal(Steam anyone).

We should all look at selling used games as a privildge and thank Microsoft for continuing to let use do it. There was a bit of sarcasm in that bit.

Does GM get a cut when a used car dealer sales a preowned Silverado?

It depends really, but yes GM can get a cut if a dealer sells a used GM vehicle. But not in the way Microsoft would be getting a cut.

I don't think it does, but you wanna ask yourself, do you have to mail a check to GM if you sold this truck yourself to your uncle, in order for them to enable the ignition to start the engine?

I don't believe Microsoft is requiring that private sales give them a cut, so far they have only talked about retailers giving them a cut. Though you sould have to de-activate the game via Azura first.

And as for classing games being sold at a garage sale in the future, lets face it, there probably won't be any classic games worth buying from the XboxOne, and even if there was Microsoft will have shut down Azura and their game activation servers and made it impossible to even use the game in 10 years. I'll be surprised if they leave these services active for a full year after stop selling the XboxOne and release their next console.

System Name Junkamatic
Processor i7
Motherboard Z77
Cooling Thermaltake
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Evga GTX770
Storage 4 Seagate Satas
Display(s) VW266H
Case Lian-Li A77B
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply Corsair HX1000w
Software W7