• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Announces Windows 7 Retail Prices Ahead of General Availability

System Name AMD | Intel | Chumpy
Processor PHII 955BE Stock | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 | EX58 - UD5 | E760 4 Way SLI
Cooling Zalman 9700 CNPS | Water Loop | Water Loop
Memory 4 GB XMS3 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x 9600GSO, GTX260 216 | 2 x GTX 260 216 | GTX 260 216, 9600 GSO
Storage WD 640GB | Couple o' 5400RPMs | WD 1TB
Case Cosmos S | Lancool K62 Dragonlord | Lian Li PC-P80 Armor
Power Supply TX850 | HX 1000 | HX 1000
Software Win 7 Home Premium | Win 7 Ultimate | Vista Home Premium
Yes. Windows users have to have Anti-Virus or other scanning programs because Microsoft doesn't get that it should have a secure operating system. Those system patches? They're simply to implement things like different funny computer sounds for different tasks. Most people don't know this and keep all the sounds default.

Apple does have viruses and the like out there for them. In fact, I remember Apple themselves telling people to run an Anti-Virus on their computer. Link for the non-believers. They just don't have a lot. Why not? Simply because people don't care to mess with the 'smaller market share' Apple, or the coder of the virus was a disgruntled Linux user.

Furthermore, I'll point you to this article. Take from it what you will.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Apple does have viruses and the like out there for them. In fact, I remember Apple themselves telling people to run an Anti-Virus on their computer. Link for the non-believers. They just don't have a lot. Why not? Simply because people don't care to mess with the 'smaller market share' Apple, or the coder of the virus was a disgruntled Linux user.

Regardless wether it's "actually" secure is irrelevent right now.

There's nothing at the current time to warrant actually wasting computer resources on a spyware scanner or anti-virus, so why should I?

Until Mac users actually have to worry about a virus, that argument is moot. It is not a realistic problem at this point in time.

Everyone cares about that extra 30mhz on this forum, but yet allows ad-ware scanners and anti-virus to eat resources.

LOL.

/unsubscribe

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
After reading the last 2 pages.. my head is full of f***

System Name AMD | Intel | Chumpy
Processor PHII 955BE Stock | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 | EX58 - UD5 | E760 4 Way SLI
Cooling Zalman 9700 CNPS | Water Loop | Water Loop
Memory 4 GB XMS3 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x 9600GSO, GTX260 216 | 2 x GTX 260 216 | GTX 260 216, 9600 GSO
Storage WD 640GB | Couple o' 5400RPMs | WD 1TB
Case Cosmos S | Lancool K62 Dragonlord | Lian Li PC-P80 Armor
Power Supply TX850 | HX 1000 | HX 1000
Software Win 7 Home Premium | Win 7 Ultimate | Vista Home Premium
Regardless wether it's "actually" secure is irrelevent right now.

There's nothing at the current time to warrant actually wasting computer resources on a spyware scanner or anti-virus, so why should I?

Until Mac users actually have to worry about a virus, that argument is moot. It is not a realistic problem at this point in time.

Everyone cares about that extra 30mhz on this forum, but yet allows ad-ware scanners and anti-virus to eat resources.

LOL.

/unsubscribe

Why does everyone assume that, as a PC user, we spend countless hours fixing our computer? Forfeiting sleep and social interaction and skin on our knuckles just to have our computers run in only the barest means of what could be considered running. Why is this the image portrayed?

You know how much time I've spent fixing and scanning my Vista install in the past 3 months? Probably less than 6 hours, 4 of which have been the monthly checkups I do. And only 3 months because that's about as far back as I can remember. I spend more time with the side of the case open tinkering hardware then I ever do fixing software. I haven't scanned my computer for a month, its about time for its monthly checkup with the Avast and MalwareBytes Anti Malware, yet I'm certain its uninfected. Past few scans that I can remember have been clean and I'm very active on the internet in terms of surfing and downloading. Windows Defender, UAC and a hardware firewall keep me plenty safe, and the monthly scan is a just in case. Yes, I use UAC. Why? In the end one extra click on only some programs won't freaking kill me. Yes, its only on some programs, maybe about 20% of the programs I use. My computer runs non stop because it folds, which means I only have to hit 'Yes' on UAC once every downtime.

Oh, and in between times Avast and Malware Bytes aren't running. I save as much MHz for folding as possible.

D

Deleted member 67555

You know what the best part of this is.
Windows 7 is Microsoft's way of telling Apple fanboys to shut up and fuck off!
Really... It's Vista that can run on far better range of pc's
It has a family pack option
It's 32 & 64bit (though im not a fan of dragging old pc's along)
It play's games- yeah bitch's
Yeah I got the pre-order prior to this post
Yeah I cant wait until the egg sends it out on 10/22
and Yeah im glad i have a pc and not an Apple
EDIT:Before you Bitch remember this,
I do think Apple's are great machines, just not for me
EDIT: take 1 part Vista mix it with Apple Fans complaints and Voila Windows 7, now eat it and Shut up

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
MacOS has a family pack option, too. It's called "no activation keys needed." :roll:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Instead, windows users get to worry about ad-ware, spyware, anti-virus, drivers, and everything else... Most people don't even know what ad-aware does.

Most Windows users don't worry about any of those things, and you are totally full of shit if you think Mac users never have to worry about drivers. Hell, they have to worry if the hardware they are buying will even work with their Mac, before they even take it off the shelf....:laugh:

But go ahead, buy your windows 7. I'm happy with my properly functioning OS. I enjoy not running anti-virus, or scanning for spyware. Maybe someday Microsoft'll get the message. It's probably gonna take google to bite them in the rear to do it, with Google OS.

See, it is comments like this, where you think you are really sticking it to Microsoft, that really show how much of a blind fanboy you really are. And serve only to discredit yourself.

System Name The Beast
Processor Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE
Cooling Stock
Memory 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 1GB Sapphire Radeon HD4650 Ultimate Edition
Storage 60GB Corsair Force LE, 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F1, 500GB Seagate
Display(s) 22" Samsung T220HD & 19" Acer X193W
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
What's so hard about running anti-virus software and scanning for spyware? :confused: It's about as hard as using the LastFM client when I run iTunes, it opens itself.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Motherboard ROG Strix X670-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahead 360 AIO
Memory 2x16gb Flare X5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3060
Storage 2TB WD SN850X Black NVMe, 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe
Display(s) Gigabyte 32" IPS 144Hz
Case Hyte Y60
Power Supply Corsair RMx 850
Software Win 11 Pro/ PopOS!
They want to DO something on it and it needs to WORK.

Instead, windows users get to worry about ad-ware, spyware, anti-virus, drivers, and everything else... Most people don't even know what ad-aware does.

But go ahead, buy your windows 7. I'm happy with my properly functioning OS. I enjoy not running anti-virus, or scanning for spyware. Maybe someday Microsoft'll get the message. It's probably gonna take google to bite them in the rear to do it, with Google OS.

In a way you're right, your average user doesn't want to worry about maintenance Windows requires, such as de-fragmentation and anti-spyware. This is the biggest reason I recommend Mac's. If someone continuously relays their frustration w/ their computer not working for some unknown reason, chances are they'd be happier w/ a mac. Unfortunately for apple though, this isn't enough to qualify them for a mac. To get that recommendation they also need to have a good chunk of cash they don't mind burning. You see the average user also doesn't want to spend $1000 on a computer, after all all they use it for is internet and maybe movies and pictures every now and then. Therefore it becomes hard to justify the price tag even though they don't have to worry as much.

For the enthusiasts your argument is totally gone though, b/c as a computer enthusiast there are two factors that make us different: enjoying the tinker; and trying to get more out of less (otherwise known as overclocking). Those vary b/t person, but they are fairly prevalent in the majority of comp enthusiasts. For this group I liken buying a mac to buying a i7 extreme 965. Sure it's sexy and I can brag (although I'm not sure why people brag about spending more money than others), but how much am I really getting over the i7 920? Convenience is really the main thing, instead of having to raise the qpi I just bump the multi. In the OS realm perhaps you'd say dealing w/ anti-virus would be comparable to raising the qpi. Sure it's a tad more work, but am I willing to do it to save $1k buck? You bet. Sexiness is great, but if I can do the same thing for less, I'll choose to spend less.

So for both groups apple falls short, which really bothers me b/c they really do have some brilliant products and marketing. They are finally putting pressure on Windows again (7 wouldn't likely exist so early w/o Mac's success) and it's showing. I'd like to see them get more aggressive though w/ their pricing, stop acting like stuck up snobs and damn well provide for all consumers, average and enthusiast especially, two big groups they are missing. I'd then like to see their market share go up, Windows price go down, Windows find a new file system that doesn't fragment and less ads on their comps, and just overall more healthy competition. We don't need a Rolls Royce in the computer game, we need Honda.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Developing PPC code is very profitable. For both developers and users.

PowerPC will also benefit greatly from a x86-64 OS.
Didn't have to be x86-64. They could've made it UB x86-64 and PPC64
PowerPC will also get benefit out of Grand Centeral in Snow leopard.
See above answer
PowerPC Will also benefit greatly out of openCL for GPU's it doesn't have.
If it has a PCIe slot, it can benefit with a simple gfx upgrade
PowerPC Will benefit from the re-written Airport code for new airport cards not included in PowerPC machines.
If it uses the same slot type, the PPC machine can still benefit with an upgrade. But even still, who cares? It's not like there aren't other, better alternatives to Airport cards.
PowerPC will benefit from HFS+ read and write support from bootcamp drivers.
Would help me with my external mac drive on windows.
PowerPC will benefit from Hardware Multitouch gestures that aren't physically in the trackpads.
Who cares, there are still plenty of other benefits. At least the machines would at minimum retain their current capabilities.
PowerPC will benefit from Quicktime X for HD video the CPU's can't handle.
PPC can most certainly handle HD video, especially any multi cpu PPC.

You know, you're right. I see exactly why you want Snow leopard to keep it's powerPC code.

PowerPC would reap some pretty nice benefits and totally be capable of making use of your $30 upgrade.

/sarcasm

Snow Leopard wouldn't even be useful for a PowerPC machine. 90% of the improvements are hardware related.

OS X is not directly an OS like windows, its role is much more similar to what firmware does.
Yeah, hardware related improvements, so they can force a premature hardware upgrade, for no good reason, when all they would have to do is code a few extra kexts to retain at least G5 support.

Please Dippy, you're a mod, set an example instead acting like an Apple fanboy. You are making yourself look silly by defending the company so adamantly. They do shitty things to try to get your money, just like every single other major corporation out there. Open your eyes.

As far as viruses, there are a couple out the for OS X now. It's gaining market share, so it is going to start getting viruses. And did you know, OS X has more security holes in it that Vista or 7? So when the time of the Mac virus does come, us Apple users are going to be up shit creek.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Snow Leopard.

Why not just call it Cock In Mouth.

Sorry, but a free upgrade for buying a prebuilt, and many still have downgrades, and the abailty to talk without my hands flapping around. Priceless, for everything else there is M((@))C

joshiers8605

Processor AMD Phenom X4 945 Revision C3 (3.72 GHZ)
Motherboard ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Cooling COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP
Memory Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer 4x2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) XFX HD-477A-YDFC Radeon HD 4770
Storage C300 64GB RealSSD, WD2500AAJS-00L740, WD5000AADS-11M2B2
Display(s) Acer X193W+BD Black 19"
Case Modded, Clear Plexiglass side with decals, held in place with velcro
Audio Device(s) 7.1 onboard
Power Supply KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-600MA1S 600W
Software Windows 7 X64
Benchmark Scores 7.3 WEI

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Epic GraveDig!!!

@odameyer: If you would have read through some of the posts, you would see we already talked about this. These prices are just the retail prices, and they are actually cheaper in some areas(Home Premium) than Vista and XP. There will be cheaper versions available. Expect Home Premium to go for about $99 OEM.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
Snow Leopard.

Why not just call it Cock In Mouth.

No -- please, tell us how you really feel. Start with your childhood -- did you have any uncles?

D

Deleted member 67555

$100 is still WAY too much. Why the hell can't they price home premium at $50 and ultimate at $90? If they fairly priced their stuff then I would happily buy their OS. I'd sooner switch to linux and not be able to use 80% of the programmes I use then pay $100 for windows.

But it's worth it!!! I don't know if you have tried the beta or not, but i have and i have seen a dramatic improvement over Vista WHICH is why I paid $50 to upgrade, yet i still would have paid $100, any way i look at it, it's the cheapest upgrade i can do to boost my system performance :nutkick:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
$100 is still WAY too much. Why the hell can't they price home premium at $50 and ultimate at $90? If they fairly priced their stuff then I would happily buy their OS. I'd sooner switch to linux and not be able to use 80% of the programmes I use then pay $100 for windows.

So you are willing to pay thousands for hardware, but $100 for an os to run it is too much? Sorry that argument doesn't fly.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Case Hyte Y60
I don't pay thousands for hardware in the first place. Microsoft just sucks basically. They are self centered thugs who care about nothing but profit.

I'm gonna let you in on a secret. Every company, I don't care what just name one. Got it? Guess why they exist. Profit. Name another one. Again, I don't care what you picked, it exists almost solely for profit. Anything and everything they do is with one end result, profit. Progress, technology, customer satisfaction, these are just other ways to get to profit. The only exception to this rule is the companies that specifically call themselves "non-profit" organizations.

Every other company that exists in capitalism is self-centered and completely profit driven. Microsoft just happens to be quite good at it.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Show me a cheaper OS that is just as functional...

Win7 is far from overpriced. Games cost $50, not OSes.

System Name Aquarium
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x
Case Hyte Y60

Vista maybe? At least on 7's release Vista may be a bit cheaper. Name another OS one could buy? That's the real shame.

Oh that's another thing, games are overpriced, and that's one more reason I sold my money pit Xbox 360.

I agree

D

Deleted member 67555

Exactly!!!....no one can do that..It's Sad but the only OS'es that will compete against W7 will be Vista & Xp :eek: Mac's are Niche systems at best, and even though they advertise as a good competitor against the Pc, they are not even close to being as Functional :nutkick: but they still have good purpose, which is why they fill a Niche market. Linux.......:banghead: Linux has made vast improvements but still operates no better than a x64 version of W98 se.:laugh: Overpriced I think not!! For now just get used to the fact that Microsoft is yo :pimp: and pay the man bitch :wtf: Don't get me wrong it would be nice if someone could offer Microsoft some competition,drop some prices,quickly advance pc's etc.... B ut no one Company or OS is even close!!:cry: