• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Brings FPS Boost Support Up to 97 Games on Xbox Series X|S

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I understand what he is saying though. Even playing Dragon Age Origins at 27" 1440p high refresh the other day, the immersion was much better than it was when experiencing it on console. and that game is ancient...

that being said, consoles have their benefit too. Plug n Play being a nice feature imo. the older I get the more frustrated I get with having 50 different settings to tinker with for optimum frames for every single game I play. though having experience in this now usually the culprit is shadows and ambient occlusion... which I usually take from high or ultra down to low or medium. that seems to be the case across the board really. so it doesn't take me to long but eh
PnP hasnt really been a feature of consoles for awhile now. You have to inevitably wait for a system update if its been awhile since you played, then you have to wait for the game to install, then you have to wait for updates to download and install. On my PS4 any new game was an hour long wait before I could play it. And if your game is multiplayer, no this is not optional, you MUST be fully updated to play online.

Then when you got in, the game was a stuttery sub 30FPS mess. Some games are worse then others (looking at you just cause 3) but most games with lots fo action have slowdown issues on console. And it's REALLY noticeable.

PC may have settings to tinker with, but you GET those settings. On console you get whatever sub par performance the devs decide is enough for you.

like to call things what they are instead of swallowing nonsense whole
You like to make a joke out of everything.

what's nonsensical about Microsoft enhancing old games for new console's ?

is it just because of PC elitism anything console related is beneath you ?

When Sony announced the closer of PS3, Vita stores all pc elites were like " PC is the best platform for preserving games" that's fair, but when Microsoft is doing great job preserving old games on their platform and enhancing them to be played better with current consoles pc elites are like "pfft who cares we pc elitest have been doing this since 1999, shit's beneath me bro "

like for reals what's up with that attitude, can't we just celebrated the quality of gaming being better regardless of platform, cause remember if console gaming improves so does PC gaming aswell.

Last edited:
System Name Poor Man's PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7500F
Motherboard MSI B650M Mortar WiFi
Cooling ID Cooling SE 206 XT
Memory 32GB GSkill Flare X5 DDR5 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT
Storage XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2TB + 8 TB WD Ultrastar DC HC320
Display(s) Mi Gaming Curved 3440x1440 144Hz
Case Cougar MG120-G
Audio Device(s) MPow Air Wireless + Mi Soundbar
Power Supply Enermax Revolution DF 650W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 3
Keyboard Logitech Pro X + Kailh box heavy pale blue switch + Durock stabilizers
VR HMD Meta Quest 2
Benchmark Scores Who need bench when everything already fast?
I remember they introduced FreeSync on X1 a while ago, but looks like it was pulled back due compatibility issues(?). At that time my monitor verified hardware capable and present , but it doesn't seem to work.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
You like to make a joke out of everything.

what's nonsensical about Microsoft enhancing old games for new console's ?

is it just because of PC elitism anything console related is beneath you ?

When Sony announced the closer of PS3, Vita stores all pc elites were like " PC is the best platform for preserving games" that's fair, but when Microsoft is doing great job preserving old games on their platform and enhancing them to be played better with current consoles pc elites are like "pfft who cares we pc elitest have been doing this since 1999, shit's beneath me bro "

like for reals what's up with that attitude, can't we just celebrated the quality of gaming being better regardless of platform, cause remember if console gaming improves so does PC gaming aswell.

You're right. I joke about a lot of things. But often there's a bit of truth behind the joke, too. In this case - specifically - the overblown and misleading idea that Microsoft has developed a special tech on top of the API. It just doesn't add up, when they still need game specific work every time.

I'm also poking at a trend that keeps popping up and this is companies creating ways to make us 'need them' for all sorts of menial things. And then beat the drum about how fantastic they are delivering those things. In the meantime, cost of said 'things' does keep going up, and up... you can subscribe your wallet dry if you want to, on a console. I do indeed have a feeling about that, and its certainly not positive. The PC in that sense still shines as the most 'independent' platform where features like this are simply expected. A higher standard devs are being held to, if you will.

Don't get me wrong though, I do think it is nice these features also land on consoles. But its always part of the sale. Elitism is never really my intent or thought, merely something to make fun with, and about. I do hold customer rights, our position in a 'contract' and freedoms in very high regard, and consoles lack it in spades.

I understand what he is saying though. Even playing Dragon Age Origins at 27" 1440p high refresh the other day, the immersion was much better than it was when experiencing it on console. and that game is ancient...

that being said, consoles have their benefit too. Plug n Play being a nice feature imo. the older I get the more frustrated I get with having 50 different settings to tinker with for optimum frames for every single game I play. though having experience in this now usually the culprit is shadows and ambient occlusion... which I usually take from high or ultra down to low or medium. that seems to be the case across the board really. so it doesn't take me to long but eh

I too have gotten too old to want to mess with settings too much but I fixed it by taking the money I make from being an adult who has enough income to enjoy life sometimes and allowed myself to apply some of those funds to something I enjoy on a regular basis by buying essentially the best gpu's I could for the better part of a decade.

Mind you that's usually 80/ti class cards (not going to waste money on things like titan or the 90 series) but I find the bliss it brings along without the stress of trying to constantly optimize while also still fully enjoying one of my favorite past times to absolutely worth it.

I'm also comfortable with buying and selling so I always turn my recently not top of the line gpu into a large reimbursement on that new gpu.

On average I've spent about $250 a year keeping my pc maxed out for the last 8 years but I find its one of the best 68cents per day I could ever spend.

You're right. I joke about a lot of things. But often there's a bit of truth behind the joke, too. In this case - specifically - the overblown and misleading idea that Microsoft has developed a special tech on top of the API. It just doesn't add up, when they still need game specific work every time.

I'm also poking at a trend that keeps popping up and this is companies creating ways to make us 'need them' for all sorts of menial things. And then beat the drum about how fantastic they are delivering those things. In the meantime, cost of said 'things' does keep going up, and up... you can subscribe your wallet dry if you want to, on a console. I do indeed have a feeling about that, and its certainly not positive. The PC in that sense still shines as the most 'independent' platform where features like this are simply expected. A higher standard devs are being held to, if you will.

Don't get me wrong though, I do think it is nice these features also land on consoles. But its always part of the sale. Elitism is never really my intent or thought, merely something to make fun with, and about. I do hold customer rights, our position in a 'contract' and freedoms in very high regard, and consoles lack it in spades.
You do understand that these boosts they are implementing require 0 (zero) developer updates to their games?

They are working on some pretty impressive stuff especially when it's been basically confirmed no ps4 game is getting a "boost" unless the game just automatically has some type of unlocked frame rate (without devs doing major work).

Also plenty of games have been lost to dead companies or lost authentication services on pc as well. It's not all sunshine amd rainbows over here you know.

I'm a pc gamer through and through and have been so for 20+ years my current setup is top of the line and has been that way for a better part of a decade (ever since I became an adult with a proper career and could afford it).

But console gaming has its place no matter what you might think about it plenty of people are better off being there than on our platform of choice.

Again it's a choice not a requirement.

You can "justify" yourself out of console ownership all you like but for many the right "choice" is to be a part of all of them for separate reasons that none of them can provide you with EVERYTHING.

I always say the ONLY people who can TRULY be unbiased about platform choice are the ones who participate in all of them.

That's CLEARLY not you.

can't spell "ambient occlusion" "motion blur" "depth of field" and "lens flair" without "COCK AND BALLS"
am biased since I don't play much modern AAA, so these features are as good for me as plastic heatsink for microprocessors.
Let me guess you prefer the waifu simulators right? Lol

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I too have gotten too old to want to mess with settings too much but I fixed it by taking the money I make from being an adult who has enough income to enjoy life sometimes and allowed myself to apply some of those funds to something I enjoy on a regular basis by buying essentially the best gpu's I could for the better part of a decade.

Mind you that's usually 80/ti class cards (not going to waste money on things like titan or the 90 series) but I find the bliss it brings along without the stress of trying to constantly optimize while also still fully enjoying one of my favorite past times to absolutely worth it.

I'm also comfortable with buying and selling so I always turn my recently not top of the line gpu into a large reimbursement on that new gpu.

On average I've spent about $250 a year keeping my pc maxed out for the last 8 years but I find its one of the best 68cents per day I could ever spend.

You do understand that these boosts they are implementing require 0 (zero) developer updates to their games?

They are working on some pretty impressive stuff especially when it's been basically confirmed no ps4 game is getting a "boost" unless the game just automatically has some type of unlocked frame rate (without devs doing major work).

Also plenty of games have been lost to dead companies or lost authentication services on pc as well. It's not all sunshine amd rainbows over here you know.

I'm a pc gamer through and through and have been so for 20+ years my current setup is top of the line and has been that way for a better part of a decade (ever since I became an adult with a proper career and could afford it).

But console gaming has its place no matter what you might think about it plenty of people are better off being there than on our platform of choice.

Again it's a choice not a requirement.

You can "justify" yourself out of console ownership all you like but for many the right "choice" is to be a part of all of them for separate reasons that none of them can provide you with EVERYTHING.

I always say the ONLY people who can TRULY be unbiased about platform choice are the ones who participate in all of them.

That's CLEARLY not you.

Let me guess you prefer the waifu simulators right? Lol
Assumptions are the mother of...

My gaming career started with a SNES after playing lots of other consoles at friends... Then an N64 while playing 'retro' games on the NES, a PS2 followed by a PS3. Alongside that I always had and used PCs. Played every classic when it wasnt yet, or a lot of them. Because yes, gaming isnt really about the platforms but about content on them.

I definitively stopped console gaming when they lost their unique selling points compared to a PC. Paid online, no modding or tweaking because of constant firmware requirements, and a rapidly dwindling number of exclusives made it crystal clear. Gaming has gone mainstream and the vast majority uses the console for that.

Ive learned that when things go mainstream, commerce becomes a defining factor and its often not a good influence. Case in point: the last two console generations. Are there good releases on them? In fact the number of true platform exclusives is dwindling faster than it ever did, even Sony figured out its useful to make them Timed.

There is, bottom line, very little reason to buy a console these days if you have a decent PC and sone patience for games to migrate. Another major factor is experience. Ive seen so god damn many games now, I want to go deeper and consoles offer nothing like it. Games are simplified and cannot be modded freely. And the exceptions to those are always available on PC and work a lot better on it too.

BTW. i never ever said I was unbiased. We all are and if you think you are an exception you only delude yourself. What matters is if the bias fits your own. We all have our preferences, our experience and our favorites. They all inspire bias. Im not here to please yours. Its a forum where we share and maybe learn from each other and each opinion.

About PC games being lost over time though...

You sure?! ;) And even better: the PC also manages to preserve console titles through emulation. I really dont see cons here even if you try to make them up. Its advanced user territory, and the payoff in entertainment is virtually limitless and not commerce- but community based.

Last edited: