• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Desktop 8000

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Ok, I bought a MS Desktop 8000.
I really like the fact that the keyboard is wireless and rechargable as well as the mouse.
It takes a bit of getting use to as the keys are rather flat in comparison to regular keyboards, and it does not have a numeric keypad (which I miss for setting fan speeds in ATITool).
The keyboard is backlit, but only when you are using it so it saves battery life. Kind of neat that the lights come on when your hands get close to the keyboard.
The ESC and "F" keys are not actual keys but capacitive so that you just touch the locations or them. This too, take a bit of getting used to as you can accidentally move your hand and hit them.
Overall, not a bad keyboard/mouse combo, and you can use it to recharge any bluetooth devices.
For anyone who has looked at this, it is not a good gaming combo, but then they do not claim it is.

The combo is rather expensive at about $250, but hey ... I'm not a starving college student and like to check out new stuff.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
For my tastes, the 8000 is button overkill. Way too many extra buttons, and while trying to be ergonomic with the keyboard split in the middle, I think it looks terrible. I have to admit the iMac aluminium looks much better.

and thankfully iMac keyboards no longer have the "apple" logo on the CMD button. Less is more. Except for the new "Vista" keyboards that DONT get accreditation UNLESS they have a windows logo on it.

Yuk.