• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft DirectX 11 Details Emerge

Rurouni Strife

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Windsor @ 2.81 (Artic Cooling Freezer 64)
Motherboard ECS Black 780G
Cooling 4 case fans, AC 64 Pro on Proc.
Memory 2 GB Kingston Ram
Video Card(s) Diamond Radeon 3850 stock (OC 740/930)
Storage 250 GB Segate SATA 2, 160 Samsung
Display(s) BenQ T705 17", SynchMaster 19"
Case generic
Audio Device(s) Something that makes sounds...by IDT
Power Supply 550W Corsair
Software XP Pro
Benchmark Scores 13000 3DM05
Actually, the GPU on the xbox has the shader power (40) of a HD2400. I know, i was suprised too. I think its because the dev's develop specifically for the Xbox specs that allows games to look good. Tesselation and super special ram undobutably help too.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
DX11 appears to be nothing more then a continuation of DX10.1. IMO it should be called DX10.2 not DX11.

DarkMatter

Processor Intel C2Q Q6600 @ Stock (for now)
Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Cooling Proc: Scythe Mine, Graphics: Zalman VF900 Cu
Memory 4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) GigaByte 8800GT Stock Clocks: 700Mhz Core, 1700 Shader, 1940 Memory
Storage 74 GB WD Raptor 10000rpm, 2x250 GB Seagate Raid 0
Display(s) HP p1130, 21" Trinitron
Case Antec p180
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi PLatinum
Power Supply 700W FSP Group 85% Efficiency
Software Windows XP
@DarkMatter
Tessellation would be used on round objects or curved objects wouldn't it? It's not like everything on the screen needs to be rendered that way...

Yeah, but real life is full of round and curved and almost-round, almost-curved objects, that are always rendered as boxes on games. IMO the whole point of tesselation would be to give those surfaces the detail they lack. What would be the point of making characters have 1 million polygons when everything around them are ugly boxes? Just looking around I can see: a monitor, keyboard, modem router, PC case, TV remote... All of those are very box-like, they could be very well described as boxes, but they have rounded edges and that property is what make them look pretty.

Then we have the furniture and of course the terrain. In games they are almost always made of boxes, or shapes that are very close to be boxes. Usually the designer makes the levels so that they have very few rounded surfaces, because they will look better. Tesselation should be used to improve that IMO. Not just increasing the details of characters and models that BTW have already achieved a level of detail that is very good. Increasing it isn't as desirable as increasing the detail of the surroundings.

Actually, the GPU on the xbox has the shader power (40) of a HD2400. I know, i was suprised too. I think its because the dev's develop specifically for the Xbox specs that allows games to look good. Tesselation and super special ram undobutably help too.

Wrong. Not at all. XBox 360's GPU has 48 SPs and those are not comparable to the ones in R6xx line, are different and more powerfull. You'd do better comparing them to X1xxx series or maybe the ones on Nvidia DX10 cards (G80 and above). You can't really compare them directly, but a better comparison would be to say it has 48 SPs, where HD2400 has 8 and HD2900/3870 has 64. Also remember the ones on the Xbox run at 500 Mhz while R6xx runs almost at 800 Mhz.

Last edited:
Its promising some very nice uses for the graphics cards. Wonder what it will actually deliver, or what developers will be willing to work with.

Even if you don't need a powerful GPU for imaging getting a powerful one anyway to speed everything up would be worth it if the DX11 info is true. More powerful GPU not so worried about the powerful CPU.

mysticjon

Processor AMD Phenom x4 9850 black edition
Cooling big water 745
Memory Kingston 4gb(1gbx4) ddr2 (dual channel)
Video Card(s) ati sapphire radeon hd 6850
Storage 2tb
Display(s) samsung 226bw 22 inch wide lcd screen
Case apeiva qpack2
Audio Device(s) creative soundblaster X-fi fatal1ty series
Power Supply silent pro 600watt modular
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x86
hmmm dx11 so soon, but not many stuff utilizes dx10 at all or even dx10.1? hmm im guessing its dx11 is another money muncher.

mysticjon

Cooling big water 745
Storage 2tb
Case apeiva qpack2
Yeah, but real life is full of round and curved and almost-round, almost-curved objects, that are always rendered as boxes on games. IMO the whole point of tesselation would be to give those surfaces the detail they lack. What would be the point of making characters have 1 million polygons when everything around them are ugly boxes? Just looking around I can see: a monitor, keyboard, modem router, PC case, TV remote... All of those are very box-like, they could be very well described as boxes, but they have rounded edges and that property is what make them look pretty.

wait does that mean, programers wouldn't have to use polygons to create a rounded/curved objects? I dont fully understand this yet

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
I think the incorporation of tessellation is pretty exciting for the future of computer graphics! Most of us understand the premise, but for some folks who don't know what it is check it out HERE.

Here's a visual idea......

Like everything else, we'll have to wait and see, but DX 11 sounds exciting!:D

mysticjon

Cooling big water 745
Storage 2tb
Case apeiva qpack2
interesting stuff, MC Escher would be honored hahaha

Meanwhile I read that nvidia's next GPU they have in the pipeline STILL won't have dx10.1 let alone DX11, and I bet no tessellation either, what the hell is going on at nvidia? Did they hire that hector ruiz guy or something? :)

The whole DX11 thing does sound like MS talked a lot to AMD though doesn't it, perhaps they like people that implement their ideas better than those that don't.
But I see no mention of voxels/raytracing, unless that's hidden as part of those 'compute shaders'.

Last edited by a moderator:

thoughtdisorder

System Name Decent Lappy
Meanwhile I read that nvidia's next GPU they have in the pipeline STILL won't have dx10.1 let alone DX11, and I bet no tessellation either, what the hell is going on at nvidia? Did they hire that hector ruiz guy or something? :)

The whole DX11 thing does sound like MS talked a lot to AMD though doesn't it, perhaps they like people that implement their ideas better than those that don't.

Well, first off thanks for chuckle!:laugh:

Secondly, NVIDIA was known for their drivers unike ATI before Vista's arrival. In fact, NVIDIA has several issues ongoing with Vista incompatibilities that they seem to refuse to fix. Let me say it before anyone gets all upset, I am not an ATI or an NVIDIA fanboi! I am for products that work and deliver the best value (plus some) that the consumer pays and expects. On the other hand, it depends on what unique games, applications, etc., that you use that determines what specific card is the best value for you. As far as tessellation from NVIDIA, don't hold your breath. You'll turn blue and fall over. ATI at this moment in time holds the cards IMO. ;)

Last edited:

mysticjon

Cooling big water 745
Storage 2tb
Case apeiva qpack2
Well, first off thanks for chuckle!:laugh:

Secondly, NVIDIA has never been known for their drivers like ATI has been. In fact, NVIDIA has several issues ongoing with Vista incompatibilities that they seem to refuse to fix. Let me say it before anyone gets all upset, I am not an ATI or an NVIDIA fanboi! I am for products that work and deliver the best value (plus some) that the consumer pays and expects. On the other hand, it depends on what unique games, applications, etc., that you use that determines what specific card is the best value for you. As far as tessellation from NVIDIA, don't hold your breath. You'll turn blue and fall over. ATI at this moment in time holds the cards IMO. ;)

hey i agree with ya

Rurouni Strife

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Windsor @ 2.81 (Artic Cooling Freezer 64)
Motherboard ECS Black 780G
Cooling 4 case fans, AC 64 Pro on Proc.
Memory 2 GB Kingston Ram
Video Card(s) Diamond Radeon 3850 stock (OC 740/930)
Storage 250 GB Segate SATA 2, 160 Samsung
Display(s) BenQ T705 17", SynchMaster 19"
Case generic
Audio Device(s) Something that makes sounds...by IDT
Power Supply 550W Corsair
Software XP Pro
Benchmark Scores 13000 3DM05
Didn't think that those SP's were more comparable to x1K cards, or G80 basically. So it's a removal of ATI's defination of SP's. I see. So yea, its be kinda sorta like a 2900GT if you compared directly but I know that isn't possible. Thanks for making that point, thats my food for thought for the day.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Didn't think that those SP's were more comparable to x1K cards, or G80 basically. So it's a removal of ATI's defination of SP's. I see. So yea, its be kinda sorta like a 2900GT if you compared directly but I know that isn't possible. Thanks for making that point, thats my food for thought for the day.

I don't think so. I think that it is taking some of the things that are done in HLSL in the SPs and putting them in an API where they can directly access the (new or existing) hardware through some kind of content pipeline or similar. They may still run in the SP's, but the developers will be able to code them easier through the API than having to write complex shaders.

Just my 2 cents.

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
I have the feeling the DX11 is just another version of DX10/10.1. Atleast we won't have to go out & buy into new cards just because of it. Maybe our quads can finally be supported.

I'd like to see DX10 get the attention it deserves from developers. There's a lot of good stuff it can do.

However, with DX11 having DX10 capabilities, they might finally get around to it.

I liked the comment about using blur to mix real time and cinematics, though I fear in some ways 3d applications are starting to look too real - where at the same time, animations and the like are not realistic enough.

B

bassmasta

I'd like to see DX10 get the attention it deserves from developers. There's a lot of good stuff it can do.

However, with DX11 having DX10 capabilities, they might finally get around to it.

I liked the comment about using blur to mix real time and cinematics, though I fear in some ways 3d applications are starting to look too real - where at the same time, animations and the like are not realistic enough.

I don't know what you mean by too real. the thing i hate most is a game that gives you a ghillie suit that can't blend into the environment. and animations wouldn't be as fun if they were too real. look at shrek 3. if it were more realistic it would be like the texas chainsaw massacre..

I like the support for multithreading in DX11, I always wondered why MS doesn't update some of their components like normal software companies do, they only update IE and OE and DX, and do fixes for holes. but take the integrated ZIP, that doesn't use multi-cores nor has a decent 'in progress' indicator (on XP64 at least), and why don't they update such components instead of just rolling out a new GUI called 'vista' (we now all know that 'everything's new in vista' was total BS since it's been proven a lot that that's not true at all)
They have tons of people working for them and they could slowly but steadily improve the OS instead of leaving stuff in from the early 90's and even moving that to next OS's and only improving 3 components, they lack pride in their business it seems.

Last edited by a moderator: