• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Ditches Xbox One’s DRM and Always-Online Policies Following Critics

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
After Facing Rage from Gamers, Microsoft Reverses Its Xbox One DRM Policies

Microsoft Corp. on Wednesday announced intentions to ditch a number of limitations in Xbox One game console that is due to arrive later this year. The software giant will not limit gamers’ abilities to lend, sell or trade-in their discs; besides, the company will not implement mandatory online checks so to allow uninterrupted offline gaming and will remove regional restrictions. The changes in policy are expected to improve image of the future game console in the eyes of gamers.

“Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One. You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world,” said Don Mattrick, president of interactive entertainment business at Microsoft, in a special statement.

As a result of changes in Xbox One policies, an internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games. After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, gamers can play any disc-based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and one can take your Xbox One anywhere you they to play their games, just like on Xbox 360.

When it comes to disc-based games, users will be able to trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like today. There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360. In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, gamers can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If one chooses to download games, he/she will be able to play them offline just like today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console, there will be no regional restrictions. Unfortunately, it will still be impossible to share downloaded titles with anyone.

source:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multim...e_Policies_Following_Critics_from_Gamers.html

System Name Minerva / Remus
Processor i9 10900KF (5.1Ghz) / Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming Z490 / MSI 550 Pro
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i / Air Cooler
Memory 64Gb Crucial Ballistix (3200) / 16GB Crucial Ballistix (3200)
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 3070 Ti / Quadro P1000
Storage 16TB / 20TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF + HP z27 / Dell P22
Case Fractal Design 7 XL / MSi
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Power Supply Corsair HX750W Modular / Corsair CX550
Mouse Logitech G502 / G602
Keyboard Havit Kalih Blue Switch /
Software Win 10 Pro / Ubuntu 20.04
Benchmark Scores Suggestions.
Personally i think it is a little too late for Microsoft to do this. Also they actually talked about that how these features were not easily removable but yet they were easy to remove due to pressure. What is it to say for example that they wont turn them on later on or just leave it to the publisher companies to enable them at will. I know it sounds a bit far fetched but i sort of lost trust in their console in general. Also their console is more expensive and i dont see it selling well in the holiday. (personal opinion). I am not saying that the PS4 might not do something similar in the future but at east Sony was clear (mostly) about it.

MS pushed for a console that suited developer tastes more than consumer requirements. They saw that people liked the media consumption features they developed for the 360, and thought that because lots of people used it they could sell a console with it. When given the opportunity to justify why what they offered was good for consumers, they either were ignorant or contradicted by other people within MS.

Screw the price point. The extra 100 USD (good lord, it's more horrible in the Eurozone) allows the creepiness of Kinect to be bundled with every console.

The reversal of policies is temporary, and it's still there. In two years I see "extra" features locked behind DRM, that publishers can use freely. The same publishers who charge 50 USD for 8 new characters in a 50 USD fighting game (that already had 24 characters).

MS has been bashed by "the vocal minority" of gamers. That didn't slow them. The gaming media asked uncomfortable questions about the new "features," giving MS the hint that the industry was apprehensive of this crap. They didn't listen. Sony made fun of MS at E3, to the thunderous applause of the crows. MS still remained ignorant. A late night TV host got "average" people to clap because the competitor wasn't using insane DRM. MS finally got off the high-horse and listened.

Objectively, this isn't a win. It's a begrudging agreement between MS and consumers. People will buy an MS product, but they will not accept MS spying on them constantly. Hopefully, people realize this and still refuse to purchase the Xbone. A newer hardware revision, sans Kinect and with DRM removed from everything, is what it would take me to purchase an Xbone.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
... Hopefully, people realize this and still refuse to purchase the Xbone. A newer hardware revision, sans Kinect and with DRM removed from everything, is what it would take me to purchase an Xbone.

Not gonna. And I prefer "X-cock" :)