• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Edge 75 (Chromium-based) First Impressions

While Mozilla, as a company, may be more trustworthy
They believe and behave in transparency, so to me, that's a big point in their favor.
the FF browser has a long history of having the most vulnerabilities
While that is true, all browsers have a history of vulnerabilities. At least with Mozilla they're up front and open about it.
That's why I use Pale Moon
Agreed. Palemoon is a great browser! I do use it for some tasks.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Conspiracy? lol
:kookoo: And who would they be conspiring with?

If anyone does plan on installing that preview build of Edge, keep in mind it is just that, a "preview build". If you go through the link I provided above first, please note the following,
In these first builds we are very much focused on the fundamentals and have not yet included a wide range of feature and language support that will come later. You’ll start to see differences from the current Microsoft Edge including subtle design finishes, support for a broader selection of extensions and the ability to manage your sign-in profile. We look forward to people starting to kick the tires and will be refining the feature set over time based on the feedback we receive.

Like the Windows Insider program, Microsoft wants and depends on feedback from early users. Constructive criticism is good.
@Bill_Bright To be fair, the rendering engine in IE wasn't good. Always behind the curve on web standards.
See, this is what I was talking about. "Always behind the curve"? Not hardly. In recent years, yes.

And for sure, some of the problem was Microsoft expecting sites to adhere to Microsoft standards. And that worked for many years. If IE hadn't worked so well for so many years, it would not have pushed out my favorite, Netscape - which I gave up only after being threatened with job termination. But it did not take me long to set aside my biases and understand that IE was a darn good browser too.
At least with Mozilla they're up front and open about it.
And I will give them credit for coming out with patches pretty quick too. The point is, however, IE was not bad, it was not unsafe. If you used FF, you could still get infected, you still needed to do all the things necessary for "practicing safe computing" regardless the browser of your choice. People hated IE because people hated Microsoft - at least the Big Brother side of Microsoft. Not because IE was bad though that is what many wanted everyone to believe. :(

FTR, I hated the Big Brother side of MS too. As I have said many times, many of the plans by the marketing weenies and policies of the executives were just plain horrible and if they just kept their grubby paws out of the developers way, things would be great because in spite of what many think and want us to believe, the developers at MS are top notch.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Our policy, since most folks work from home a significant % of the time, is to allow employees to use whatever Office Suite, browser, etc they prefer whether here or at home. We provide and support the PCs at both. Only hard exception is AutoCAD as sharing files is tedious and worrisome. Only restrictions we have ever had were client initiated as when we were doing work for a certain federal agencies, we were not permitted to use MS Office; this was back in the day of the "concept" viruses and I guess someone circulated a memo I guess stating that this could lead to the fall of civilization as we know it. But we don't tell clients what to do, I have learned that if ya don't do what your clients and wife want, then you don't get what you want. And I know what you're thinking ... But I am referring to repeat business (client) and peace and quiet (Wife),

Our problem was, with identical machines with identical OS installs and identical software, one machine would work just fine with Chrome and the other was totally boinky. Spent hours and hours trying to figure out WTH and finally just gave up. Removing Chrome solved the problem. I still don't know what problem is other than i don't have to deal with it anymore. As for Chrome versus Edge on data mining ... two sides of the same coin.

On the personal side, I find FF the most functional and having the most choices .... privacy options improve with each release. As it's open source it's to be exected that users feel safer using it, from a privacy perspective, than other closed alternatives since anyone can examine it. As for the "infection stuff" in over 230 machine-years (No, of machines in use x Years of each use), we have never "had" an infection. In that time, have had about a dozen false positives, most of those associated while converting spreadsheet based tools to In Game Applets for Saga of Ryzom Game. I handle the math side, buddy does the WebIG programming and it was some Delphi DB thing that some vendors AV tends to trip over. In each case it was submitted to vendor and determined to be a FP. With a) a good hardware firewall, b) a good subscription based AV / Malware Suite and c) sound user practices, you should have little to fear from infections... that being said, I think given the choices availabe, it still makes perfect sense to avoid anything with a history of vulnerbilities

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
ROTFL

Yeah right! Then answer this. Did you "stop" getting infected just by switching to another browser? Your answer is likely one of two. (1) I didn't get infected before or (2) I also installed a firewall, swapped or added a A/V, stopped clicking on every link, cleaned out the clutter, installed a router and more - same things needed regardless the browser.

IE was a great browser for many many years. But in recent years, it could not keep up with the times and newer threats. Microsoft's mistake was trying to keep patching it. They should have retired it when W8 came out.
Yeah right. :kookoo:

For anyone not pre-set in their anti-Edge, MS bashing ways, Microsoft has made available the official pre-release version through here. It is recommended any unofficial versions be uninstalled first.
Only IE allowed downloads to autoexec on their own. Only IE can freeze while doing nothing. You must be the first person I've ever seen defending this monstrosity.
IE didn't work well, it had no competition. That slightly different.

hat being said, I think given the choices availabe, it still makes perfect sense to avoid anything with a history of vulnerbilities
But that would mean avoiding the internet entirely as every OS and browser in existence have been subject to vulnerabilities of one kind or another, establishing a history.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Google... I assume you have no sense of humor.
When it comes to technical discussions in technical forums, that is pretty much true. And I won't apologize for that either. That said, you did put the lol in there so I did, in this case, assume you were joking. It just really made no sense because Google wants Edge to do well too, since it is based on Chromium. So it just wasn't a good joke either.
when we were doing work for a certain federal agencies, we were not permitted to use MS Office
That is odd as I worked for the federal government (DoD and State Department) for decades and our users were ONLY allowed to use MS Office on Windows systems. What we did see banned, however, was upgrading to Vista, IE7 and for awhile, Office 2007. Those systems had to stay with XP, IE6 and Office 2003.
it still makes perfect sense to avoid anything with a history of vulnerbilities
Then that surely leaves out FF too.

What program would you suggest that has never had vulnerabilities? MacOS? Linux? UNIX? Avanti? Vivaldi?

The fact is, the longer any software product has been around, the longer its history of vulnerabilities will be.

it had no competition.
Sure it did. Netscape ruled for many years.
Only IE can freeze while doing nothing.
Oh, wow! Now its clear you are just making stuff up.

But this is just silly now and proves my point that some are just so biased against MS they will take any and every opportunity to bash them.

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Oh, wow! Now its clear you are just making stuff up.

But this is just silly now and proves my point that some are just so biased against MS they will take any and every opportunity to bash them.
Man, IE is dead, you won't receive payments for defending it now.
Speaking from experience. IE11 on any processor that isn't an FX, Core iX or better, is a slowfest. Try it yourself, grab a Pentium Silver, Atom, AMD E series, Athlon X2 and tell me how IE11, Firefox and Chrome works. Just opening a second tab is slow.
Edge was a godsend arriving too late.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
You know, I don't really care what browser you run, so long as I can run JavaScript on it, if I were in the business of collecting information and even that isn't the end of it. Between everything that comes over via HTTP and the information you get access to via any browser in JavaScript, I would be more concerned about the sites you visit than the browser you use, if I'm going to be completely honest. You can disable JavaScript, but the experience is bound to be terrible and data can still be collected by anything that goes over HTTP(S).

The bottom line is that you shouldn't go to pages where you're not sure if you should trust it or not and trust is the keyword. People might trust Google and might not care that metrics are being gathered about them. I'm not going to say that's right or wrong, but not everyone distrusts entities that collect data. The reality is that just about everything on the internet collects data. We have web applications these days, not some Geocities website that was made using Netscape.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Speaking from experience. IE11 on any processor that isn't an FX, Core iX or better, is a slowfest. Try it yourself, grab a Pentium Silver, Atom, AMD E series, Athlon X2 and tell me how IE11, Firefox and Chrome works. Just opening a second tab is slow.

IE was only successful when developers actually used MS proprietary formats, forcing the user base to follow suit. It's a shame a large majority of the user base transferred to a data mining browser.

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
IE was only successful when developers actually used MS proprietary formats, forcing the user base to follow suit. It's a shame a large majority of the user base transferred to a data mining browser.
And now companies prefer to use that engine instead of their own.
Imagine if all games were made in unity...

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
IE is dead? Really? You think? Gee whiz!

Maybe that is why the very first time I mentioned IE in this thread in post #23, I slammed IE and Microsoft for scaling back maintenance on IE so it became unstable and unreliable! And yes, it became slow too. And at the same time, I bashed MS for pushing out the "half-baked, unfinished, not-ready-for-prime-time Edge" and that is why I switched to PM. So it is hardly me defending IE (or MS) to seek payments.

Yes, Edge arrived late, but not too late - it actually came too early because it clearly was not a finished product. And now, nearly 4 years after the release of W10 and Edge, it is clear the original Edge will never succeed. This entirely new Chromium based version is here in hopes to rectify all that. I think Microsoft should have thrown in the towel earlier, but I say better late than never. And I applaud them for [finally!] swallowing their pride and admitting their defeat!

I also say if you want to bash MS, Windows or IE, go for it and I will defend your right to do so with vigor. Just do it with facts, not falsehoods as you did above when you claimed that IE was the "only" browser that froze while idle, or I will defend the falsely accused with the same vigor.

There's enough factual fodder out there for MS haters to use without making stuff up!
It's a shame a large majority of the user base transferred to a data mining browser.
I agree! And the irony is many of those same people are the ones bashing MS over privacy when Google's entire business model is based on tracking the activities of their users.
And now companies prefer to use that engine instead of their own.
Why not? Chromium is an excellent browser! As long as MS parses out the Google services (as Bleeping Computer reported they were), there is nothing wrong with building upon what is good to make it better. Man has been doing this since the beginning of time.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X (4.0 GHz @ 1.4V)
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5 with Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Memory 8 GBx2 Corsair Vengeance LPX (running at DDR4-2933, CAS 16)
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 1080 Turbo
Storage 1x 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1x 1 TB Crucial MX500 M.2, 2x 3 TB Toshiba P300 7,200 RPM HDD
Display(s) 24" Acer R240HY
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z + Sennheiser HD 558
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard Corsair STRAFE RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Passmark System Score: 5252.4
I tried it out as my default browser for most of the day yesterday, and I guess my initial impression is "I would actually use this". In fact, I still am. It's snappier than Vivaldi, if a little more plain in appearance (for now).

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
@Bill_Bright try it, grab an old computer, or one with a low end cpu, test IE against Firefox and Chrome. Only IE lags.
It's no wonder all my clients ask for Chrome on their 1GB Atom N455 notebooks.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
@Bill_Bright try it, grab an old computer, or one with a low end cpu, test IE against Firefox and Chrome. Only IE lags.
Wow! Did I ever say it was fast? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this thread about IE? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

System Name Ciel
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Wow! Did I ever say it was fast? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this thread about IE? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice tactical retreat.

If someone uses Edge for bookmark sync, the Chromium version should allow more compatible platforms. That was an unfulfilled promise of Edge, the only thing we got was an Android version that used Webview.
Can someone try if the plugin framework of normal Edge works on the Chromium one? Ublock from the store for example.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
It's coming along very nicely, they've fixed a lot of issues with the last update including a bug that forced me to stop using it since it made watching YouTube videos in full-screen mode very annoying. Notifications are finally working properly too, that was another thing that was broken but now fixed. I finally have TPU notifications in the Windows 10 Action Center from Edge.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
In 20 years Google is going to run this world, nation states will cease to exist. Mark my words. Poor FireFox.

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Poor FireFox.
Some would say that Firefox/Mozilla is killing themselves. They don't need to have anyone do it, they're doing it to themselves.

System Name BoX-Server | 775PC
Processor I3 3.5GHZ (3150) | Modded Xeon E5450 (OC @3.60)
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX | ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling OEZM HSK | 92MM Heatsink RGB
Memory 8GB DDR3 | 8GB DDR2
Video Card(s) AMD 6450 | AMD RX 550 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD 1TB WD | 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate 500GB HDD <<
Display(s) DELL 17" LCD 1280x1024 | ASUS 24" LCD IPS
Case CoolerMaster 110 | RoseWill ZIRCON
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 610WATT | Rosewill 550WATT
Mouse Input-Director| RoseWill FUSION C40
Keyboard Input-Director | RoseWill FUSION
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
I use Firefox just fine and also Opera instead of Chrome :oops:

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
The changing of the extension platform from XUL to WebExtensions, the idea of paying some amount of money per month to have an ad-free web experience, etc. Now I understand the reasoning behind changing to WebExtensions but some believe that was a bad move since they killed crap tons of extensions in one shot.

System Name BoX-Server | 775PC
Processor I3 3.5GHZ (3150) | Modded Xeon E5450 (OC @3.60)
Motherboard ASRock B85M-ITX | ASUS P5Q-EM
Cooling OEZM HSK | 92MM Heatsink RGB
Memory 8GB DDR3 | 8GB DDR2
Video Card(s) AMD 6450 | AMD RX 550 4GB
Storage 120GB SSD 1TB WD | 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate 500GB HDD <<
Display(s) DELL 17" LCD 1280x1024 | ASUS 24" LCD IPS
Case CoolerMaster 110 | RoseWill ZIRCON
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Rosewill 610WATT | Rosewill 550WATT
Mouse Input-Director| RoseWill FUSION C40
Keyboard Input-Director | RoseWill FUSION
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
As I mentioned before, until Firefox removes extensions when this payment method comes it's All Brave Browser from there. Just hopefully Mozilla won't do what I'm thinking of. That would be wrong. Firefox is open-source so yes they shouldn't do This