• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Edge 75 (Chromium-based) First Impressions

Space Lynx

Astronaut
The changing of the extension platform from XUL to WebExtensions, the idea of paying some amount of money per month to have an ad-free web experience, etc. Now I understand the reasoning behind changing to WebExtensions but some believe that was a bad move since they killed crap tons of extensions in one shot.

If there is no competition though, then you can say goodbye to addons like ublock origin. My argument wasn't really for Firefox, it was more for if Google becomes too large aka a monopoly and no other web browser exists that isn't based on their coding... they basically will be able to control the world moving forward, they can play Mr. nice Guy for the time being, but when they become a monopoly... things will change... but that is fine, I will stop using the web when that day does come.

The changing of the extension platform from XUL to WebExtensions
Ah, I see. You're right, that was and is a pain. However...
Now I understand the reasoning behind changing to WebExtensions but some believe that was a bad move since they killed crap tons of extensions in one shot.
Most of the really good plugins have either been replaced with equivalent plugins or have been updated/rebuilt to accommodate the changes.
the idea of paying some amount of money per month to have an ad-free web experience, etc.
It's working for the "Brave" browser. I think they're just playing around with it.

but when they become a monopoly... things will change... but that is fine, I will stop using the web when that day does come.
Never gonna happen. Chrome is based on Chromium which is open source. There are plenty of compatible forks that can be used such as Opera, Iron, Brave... Plus, they can't close the source code once opened. Google can't do it and neither can Mozilla.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Most of the really good plugins have either been replaced with equivalent plugins or have been updated/rebuilt to accommodate the changes.
True, this I understand.
Chrome is based on Chromium which is open source. There are plenty of compatible forks that can be used such as Opera, Iron, Brave... Plus
And this is the point that I can't seem to get most people to understand. So what if Google becomes a monopoly with Chromium, anyone can fork it and do what they please. Proof of that is the very Microsoft Edge that is using Chromium code. I'd have to say that if there's anybody who can make Chromium, and by extension Google Chrome better, it would be Microsoft. Microsoft has already admitted that they've submitted multiple improvements and code additions to the Chromium project to make it better. That's the power of open source playing right out in front of our eyes with Microsoft Edge Dev.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Ah, I see. You're right, that was and is a pain. However...

It's working for the "Brave" browser. I think they're just playing around with it.

Never gonna happen. Chrome is based on Chromium which is open source. There are plenty of compatible forks that can be used such as Opera, Iron, Brave... Plus, they can't close the source code once opened. Google can't do it and neither can Mozilla.

What about when security updates require a major overhaul to the source code, because Google says so? and all open source Chrome branches are vulnerable? I don't know just playing devils advocate, where there is a will there is a way imo. i am talking like 20 years out btw, not near future.

Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
What about when security updates require a major overhaul to the source code, because Google says so? and all open source Chrome branches are vulnerable?
And you have the open source community there to, if need be, stand in the way and say "That's a crock of bullshit and you know it Google!". The open source community would never stand for that, those in that community would put an end to it pretty quickly.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64

Space Lynx

Astronaut
its possible my fears are not logical, I don't know much about all that stuff to be honest. so I will concede, what you say does make sense

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
The whole point is that it's open source, people can read the source code. Google released the Chrome code as the Chromium Project and a lot of people are involved in making Chromium better including individuals and even large companies like Microsoft. If Google tries something nefarious all that needs to be done is to fork the project which essentially creates two code bases; Google can go on their merry way doing whatever nefarious things that they want but the fork can keep on going with business as usual since the two projects are now completely separate with absolutely nothing in common.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Maybe, but the thing is a lot of people are using Chrome, not Chromium.

By user base, Google wins, hands down.

Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
I get it, but a lot of that can be blamed on Microsoft and Internet Explorer being such a steaming pile of hot garbage. If they didn't let Internet Explorer go so badly maybe the browser wars would still be going but no, Microsoft essentially threw in the towel and let Google win.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G27Q + AOC 19'
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11 x64
The times Chromium was audited, it was found to have hardcoded Google's "toys" inside, like speech recognition that only sends the info to Google servers.

Maybe, but the thing is a lot of people are using Chrome, not Chromium.

Yes, that can change. IE used to be the number one used browser and for longer than a decade.
I get it, but a lot of that can be blamed on Microsoft and Internet Explorer being such a steaming pile of hot garbage. If they didn't let Internet Explorer go so badly maybe the browser wars would still be going but no, Microsoft essentially threw in the towel and let Google win.
And now things are better.

The times Chromium was audited, it was found to have hardcoded Google's "toys" inside, like speech recognition that only sends the info to Google servers.
That was the Android version and such functionality was linked through Google Services. IIRC, the desktop version of Chromium did not have such, because how would it work?

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I get it, but a lot of that can be blamed on Microsoft and Internet Explorer being such a steaming pile of hot garbage.
Except much of IE's problem was caused by the intense bashings from FF fanboys, XP's security woes, and MS haters on forums, blogs and in the IT media.

I never fell for all the hype the FF fanboys were spewing who claimed IE was insecure and we will get infected if we used. I never got infected and I used IE as my primary browser on all our systems here up until W10 and Edge came out and MS started to let IE slide. I then switched to Pale Moon - a forked version of FF.

The facts are, if you kept Windows and IE updated, used a decent security solution, avoided risky behavior (all the things needed regardless your browser of choice) it did not matter which browser you used.

I was always amused to see how simple it was to silence the IE haters. I just asked, "Did you stop getting infected just by switching to FF"? :eek:

Of course the answer was almost always they were not getting infected before! And for those who were previously infected, it was quickly revealed in addition to switching to FF, they also started using a A/V solution and an anti-spyware program (consolidated anti-malware programs weren't commonplace back then), they upgraded to XP SP3, stopped being "click-happy", got behind a router, and in general, started "practicing safe computing". Again, these are all the things necessary regardless your browser of choice.

I would probably still be using IE today - with confidence - if it didn't become so unstable. But it appears (to me anyway) MS is neglecting IE in order to entice users towards Edge.
Microsoft essentially threw in the towel and let Google win.
Not sure about "win" but for sure, assume a substantial lead. The biggest problem with Edge was (IMO) it clearly was an unfinished product when it first came out with W10. It is only now, 4 years later, becoming a refined product worth considering again.

Oh BTW. I was a long time fan of Netscape and the only reason I migrated to IE back in the day was because I was threatened with disciplinary action and having my admin privileges revoked if I did not switch to the company mandated standard, IE. Fortunately once I got used to it, I liked it (as is often the case).

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Some would say that Firefox/Mozilla is killing themselves. They don't need to have anyone do it, they're doing it to themselves.
Why? It works perfectly fine for me. I haven’t been this happy with a browser in years!

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
I'm on Version 77.0.211.3 (Official build) dev (64-bit) of Edge and it's lightning fast, although it will take a lot to tear me away from Opera and all its lovely and almost infinite speed dials.
The only time I use Chrome nowadays is for writing tech articles at DCT, where the spell checker is really very good and the automatic translations for Spanish and German.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It works perfectly fine for me.
It may work, but FF sure has had more than its share of security issues. :( Again, nothing that "practicing safe computing" can't mitigate, but disconcerting just the same, given the stated reasons for switching to FF back in the day was over security.

I do wonder if one of FF's greatest assets is also its greatest liabilities; support for so many add-ons.

System Name Ryzen Monster
Processor Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII WiFi
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4x8GB) 3200Mhz CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RX5700XT OC 8Gb
Storage WD Black 500GB NVMe 250Gb Samsung SSD, OCZ 500Gb SSD WD M.2 500Gb, plus three spinners up to 1.5Tb
Display(s) LG 32GK650F-B 32" UltraGear™ QHD
Case Cooler Master Storm Trooper
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX on board
Power Supply Corsair RM850X full modular
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB Silent
VR HMD Headphones Logitech G533 wireless
Software Windows 11 Start 11
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy 4532 (9258 March 2021, 9399 July 2021)
We all have our own little quirks and preferences for browsers and my main one is being able to populate the new tab page with all my favourite sites, so that I can see them all at a glance.
Opera is the best for me in this respect, with Firefox and Vivaldi providing good customisation for speed dials as well. Chrome still only allows ten and unfortunately, Edge only allows eight sites. If you try to populate more, it just deletes sites to stay at eight.
Neither do I want stuff thrust at me like suggested sites, news sites etc. I want a clean start up page that I have 100% control over, with as many speed dials as I wish.
Edge has fallen down for me in that respect and you can't edit the speed dials either.
edge-top-sites.jpg

I was always amused to see how simple it was to silence the IE haters. I just asked, "Did you stop getting infected just by switching to FF"? :eek:
Actually, yes. ActiveX was a real PITN back in the day and was ridiculusly easy to exploit through IE. I regularly explained to people how unsafe IE was because of how integrated into the OS it had become, showed them the beautiful nature of Netscape. Those system's getting infections literally disappeared when IE was deleted from the PC's in question. This continued with FF.

I find it frustrating to see people defending IE when it is and always has been inherently insecure and laughably easy to exploit over the years. While in resent years it's become less easy, the danger of not knowing what could be lurking in the code to screw people over is just an unacceptable risk. Edge, in any form, is no different. Microsoft has a proven track record of lying to the public, hiding critical knowledge and going behind the backs of both the public and governments in it's self-serving efforts. Yes, Microsoft is a business and has the right to make a profit, but not at the expense of the privacy/security of the public.

Again, nothing that "practicing safe computing" can't mitigate
While this is true and helps a lot, the software being used must also be secure to be trusted.

I do wonder if one of FF's greatest assets is also its greatest liabilities; support for so many add-ons.
For me at least, this is not true. I use only plugins that have a focus on security and/or have been vetted, generally.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) Gigabyte G27Q + AOC 19'
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11 x64
Oh BTW. I was a long time fan of Netscape and the only reason I migrated to IE back in the day was because I was threatened with disciplinary action and having my admin privileges revoked if I did not switch to the company mandated standard, IE. Fortunately once I got used to it, I liked it (as is often the case).
Stockholm Syndrome.

We all have our own little quirks and preferences for browsers and my main one is being able to populate the new tab page with all my favourite sites, so that I can see them all at a glance.
Opera is the best for me in this respect, with Firefox and Vivaldi providing good customisation for speed dials as well. Chrome still only allows ten and unfortunately, Edge only allows eight sites. If you try to populate more, it just deletes sites to stay at eight.
Neither do I want stuff thrust at me like suggested sites, news sites etc. I want a clean start up page that I have 100% control over, with as many speed dials as I wish.
Edge has fallen down for me in that respect and you can't edit the speed dials either.
View attachment 127047

Edge speed dial works here. Right click on the speed dial box to delete or enter/modify.

Last edited: