• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Introduces the Surface Pro 3

On Tuesday, Microsoft Corp. introduced Surface Pro 3 - the lightweight tablet that packs the power and performance you expect from a laptop.

Surface Pro 3 is a tablet and a laptop: multiple processor, RAM and storage options intersect with a sleek design that, with a simple snap or click, transform the device from a perfectly balanced tablet to a full-functioning laptop and back again - all in a beautiful package that is 30 percent thinner than an 11-inch MacBook Air. Its stunning 12-inch display and new, continuous kickstand provide the screen real estate and multiple viewing angles people need for work and play. And the new Surface Pen - completely redesigned with form and function in mind - delivers a precise, luxurious drawing and note-taking experience with a single click of the pen.

"So many people carry both a laptop and a tablet but really want just one device that serves all purposes," said Panos Panay, corporate vice president, Microsoft Surface. "Surface Pro 3 is the tablet that can replace your laptop - packing all the performance of a fully powered laptop into a thin, light and beautifully designed device. You'll love being able to carry a single device for your next class, workday or weekend getaway knowing you have all the power you need."

Surface Pro 3 and Surface accessories
Surface Pro 3 features a 12-inch full HD display, 4th-generation Intel Core processor options, amazing click-in keyboards, and a multiposition kickstand that goes from movie mode to working mode and all the way to writing mode. Because it runs Windows 8.1 Pro, people can run the desktop software they rely on, including Microsoft Office, multitask with side-by-side windows, and use it at work. Surface Pro 3 delivers the best writing and drawing experience with Surface Pen included and an amazing new capability where with just a click of the pen, Surface launches a fresh page in OneNote, so you can capture your thoughts immediately - as quickly as a pen and piece of paper. And it delivers big-screen entertainment anywhere with the larger, full HD screen, the kickstand, great speakers with Dolby Audio enhanced sound, and up to nine hours of Web-browsing battery life.

New Surface accessories like the improved Surface Pro Type Cover will take Surface Pro 3 from tablet to laptop in a snap. The new premium Surface Pen with pressure sensitivity enables a more natural writing experience, while a full-size USB 3.0 port, microSD card reader and Mini DisplayPort allow for quick file transfers and easy connections to a range of peripherals.

Coupled with additional optional accessories, including a new Docking Station for Surface Pro 3 and a Surface Ethernet Adapter, Surface Pro 3 has all the features and capabilities of a complete laptop. The new Surface accessories can be found here.

Surface Pro 3 for business
With the introduction of Surface Pro 3, our commitment to business has never been stronger. Since introducing commercial availability less than a year ago, Surface has expanded into 31 commercial markets, celebrating new customers along the way. Surface Pro 3's versatile features allow commercial customers to deploy a laptop replacement that delivers the power, manageability and security they need to conduct business with confidence. Companies such as BMW Group, The Coca-Cola Company and LVMH - Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton have already committed to purchasing and deploying the device as one of the choices inside their organizations.

"Surface Pro 3 is a truly innovative device that will replace both a tablet and a powerful laptop," said Mario Müeller, vice president IT infrastructure, BMW Group.

Microsoft is proud that these esteemed brands are adopting Surface Pro 3 to harness the promise of mobility to transform their customer experiences.

Pre-order and availability
Starting at an estimated retail price of just $799, Surface Pro 3 will be offered in multiple configurations featuring 4th-generation Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors. Specs are available here.

Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro Type Cover and Surface Pen will be available for pre-order starting May 21 at 12:01 a.m. EDT through Microsoftstore.com, Microsoft retail stores and select third-party retailers. Commercial customers should speak to their authorized reseller.

Beginning June 20 in Canada and the United States, customers can visit Microsoftstore.com, Microsoft retail stores, select third-party retailers and commercial resellers to purchase Intel Core i5 Surface Pro 3 and select accessories. Additional configurations will become available during August, and additional accessories will be available in the next few months.

By the end of August, Surface Pro 3 and select new accessories will become available for purchase in 26 additional markets, including Australia, Austria, Belgium, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Malaysia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand and the United Kingdom.

More information on Surface can be found at www.microsoft.com/surface.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
I dont understand why they making an version with 64GB SPACE?

To hit a low price point?

It seems like a winner, meshing both tablet and laptop functions in one. This is what version 1.0 should have been all along.

Why would anyone with a clue buy this POS? There must be a lot of technically clueless consumers if something this bad will actually sell. Of course POS 1 and POS 2 didn't sell well so POS 3 might not either.

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
Why would anyone with a clue buy this POS? There must be a lot of technically clueless consumers if something this bad will actually sell. Of course POS 1 and POS 2 didn't sell well so POS 3 might not either.

Why would anyone with a clue think you provide insightful commentary? Do you carry along your desktop in a LAN-TOTE everywhere you go?!

Two IT friends today commented that this could replace all the out of office laptop units they issue. I think this will make inroads in businesses.

Well I am not sure why you think they are POS. I own Surface 2 RT 32gb and love the darn thing. I use it for my school and occasional youtubing. It is light and easy to carry around and far more capable than either my iPad 4 or Samsung Tab 3. Please elaborate as I would really love to understand why you would say that? For a college student they get a fast laptop/tablet with office 2013 for less than 600 bucks. Its compact, long battery life, and functions like a tab/latop.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Coolermaster Master Liquid ML240L RGB
Memory 64GB DDR4 3200 (4x16GB)
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” 1920x1080
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic 650W
VR HMD Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest V1, Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 64bit
Well I am not sure why you think they are POS. I own Surface 2 RT 32gb and love the darn thing. I use it for my school and occasional youtubing. It is light and easy to carry around and far more capable than either my iPad 4 or Samsung Tab 3. Please elaborate as I would really love to understand why you would say that? For a college student they get a fast laptop/tablet with office 2013 for less than 600 bucks. Its compact, long battery life, and functions like a tab/latop.

Typically people view the world with their own unique perspective.

If, for example, someone uses a computer for video games and little else they would then value a system with a powerful video subsystem,.....and consider anything less useless garbage.

Never-mind that people use computers for many things including real work. Which is why some people would look at a Seiki 4K display locked in at 30Hz as unusable and a other people (programer for example) looking for a good display for work would think its perfect for their needs.

Different needs, different use case and so on,......as well as an inability to see beyond their own needs,...or wants,....

Last edited:
Why would anyone with a clue think you provide insightful commentary? Do you carry along your desktop in a LAN-TOTE everywhere you go?!

Two IT friends today commented that this could replace all the out of office laptop units they issue. I think this will make inroads in businesses.
The point about businesses is spot on. I work at a mid-size company of ~250 and we were seriously considering the Surface Pro 2 for our next upgrade cycle but there are just enough drawbacks with the design that it wouldn't really be a proper replacement for our needs. The Surface Pro 3 looks to address many of these issues (keyboard/trackpad quality, screen size, kickstand positions) and if the software side has improved scaling and a few other quirks then it may be the device that kickstarts the migration for us.

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
sweet, now this great mobile graphics tablet got even better.
Hopefully the digitizer is just as good or better than the previous ones.
I've thought about getting one for using Manga studio/photoshop on the go.
It's like a laptop and Cintiq all in one! The 12" screen size is the best improvement imho.

EDIT: just saw this thing has a 1440p display

Last edited:
No doubt a great device that is suitable for less than 1% of the users out there given the price.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
sweet, now this great mobile graphics tablet got even better.
Hopefully the digitizer is just as good or better than the previous ones.
I've thought about getting one for using Manga studio/photoshop on the go.
It's like a laptop and Cintiq all in one! The 12" screen size is the best improvement imho.

EDIT: just saw this thing has a 1440p display

That's 2160x1440,....

No doubt a great device that is suitable for less than 1% of the users out there given the price.

The starting price isn't too bad IMO. This may be the third gen Surface Pro but tablet x86/x64 PCs have been around for a good long while before that. It used to be a PC tablet like this would start at ~$1100 or so.

Also Microsoft is attempting to bill this as a tablet + laptop convergence device and in a way I think they have done that well enough with this generation. Many people who have tablets often have a laptop as well and the Surface Pro 3 seems to be able to take the place of these two products.

Naturally that depends on the use case of the individual or organization.

Still it seems like a fairly good product for students, graphic artists, engeeriers businesses, and so on.

A person could easily spend about ~$799 on a 32GB iPad Air WiFi + Cellular (ARM based) model so I see no reason that something such as the Surface Pro 3 shouldn't be in contention.

Last edited:
That's 2160x1440,....

The starting price isn't too bad IMO. This may be the third gen Surface Pro but tablet x86/x64 PCs have been around for a good long while before that. It used to be a PC tablet like this would start at ~$1100 or so.

Also Microsoft is attempting to bill this as a tablet + laptop convergence device and in a way I think they have done that well enough with this generation. Many people who have tablets often have a laptop as well and the Surface Pro 3 seems to be able to take the place of these two products.

Naturally that depends on the use case of the individual or organization.

Still it seems like a fairly good product for students, graphic artists, engeeriers businesses, and so on.

A person could easily spend about ~$799 on a 32GB iPad Air WiFi + Cellular (ARM based) model so I see no reason that something such as the Surface Pro 3 shouldn't be in contention.

$1,300 for the 8gb RAM model, $200 for the dock and $150 for the keyboard = $1,650 + taxes for a computer without Office.

That's silly.

Sell me a $1,050 model with 8gb of memory, 128gb SSD and throw in the keyboard.

$1,300 for the 8gb RAM model, $200 for the dock and $150 for the keyboard = $1,650 + taxes for a computer without Office.

That's silly.

Why do you need the dock? It has DisplayPort right on the device if you need a second monitor. If you need the extra USB ports then just grab a USB hub for $10. It has a kickstand built right into it so it can stand up on its own. No need to spend $200 on the dock.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board

That's silly.

While we are dictating prices to manufacturers we might as well demand a Core i7, 512GB version for ~$1 USD. Heck make it ~$0.50, no better yet make it free.

For some reason people so often seem to lack the understanding that they cannot dictate the price of such products. They can only set the price they are willing to pay and that said price isn't universal to all potential buyers.

If someone wants a Surface or some other tablet PC for a low price then they may be able to buy a previous generation for a significantly reduced price (while still being new ie unused). A first gen Surface Pro with 128GB of storage is probably about ~$560 to ~$580 or so new. If. I wanted or needed something like the Surface Pro that might be an option I would take advantage of. I'm still on my first tablet PC because it still serves my needs. The old ASUS Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 tablet PC which is user upgradable to a larger mSATA SSD, WiFi / Blutooth card, ect.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I want something like this but with a 15" size at least. That would be productive for my work.

Processor RyZen R9 3950X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Storage Samsung 2TB SSD
Case Zulman MS800
Audio Device(s) On Board
I want something like this but with a 15" size at least. That would be productive for my work.
I though I heard something about a Panasonic 20" tablet with 4K display. Probably very expensive though,.....