• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Kinect 'NuAds' is disgusting.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSk5DhxQHLo

This video gives us a unique opportunity to see behind the wall that one would hope separates entertainment from advertising.

I'm not saying there is anything terribly wrong with adding new functionality to the advertising that pops up on an Xbox 360 console. I just hate how this video makes it feel like the console has become purely a vehicle for advertising. Of course that's not true. This is a video created by marketing folks for advertisers. It's not meant to be viewed by us regular folk.

I'd like to think that as Microsoft continues to expand the way they jam ads into the Xbox 360 console they'll start to pass that savings onto users by not only preventing hikes in Xbox Live membership, but perhaps dropping the fees a bit. I'm not holding my breath though.

The video, and the advertising tech it shows off, does get under my skin a bit if only because some of this looks like unique, interesting, cool technology that still hasn't popped up in many Xbox 360 video games. I suspect most people purchased a Kinect to enhance their gaming experiences, not their advertising ones... right?

source: Kotaku

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Wow! I've never seen such a high ratio of dislikes to likes on a video. :eek: Guess that's no suprise considering the subject matter though.

88 likes, 3,264 dislikes

That's got failure written all over it.

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
Why would i want to spam my friends with advertisements? If i wanted to see the nearest Toyota Sales Garage i could use a search engine i dont watch an advert and then go um i want to buy a Toyota.

EchoMan

Wouldn't it be great for me the advertiser, YES. Would it be great for the consumer, no.

It's stupid and the fact people are already condoning Microsoft to stuff ads in your face where by you're paying for a service is sad enough. It's no wonder they're conjuring up these ideas, you the consumer has already said it's okay. Cancel your live service, throw the xbox in the trash bin and start a world wide boycott, the tools have never been easier to make it happen.

Wouldn't it be great for me the advertiser, YES. Would it be great for the consumer, no.

It's stupid and the fact people are already condoning Microsoft to stuff ads in your face where by you're paying for a service is sad enough. It's no wonder they're conjuring up these ideas, you the consumer has already said it's okay. Cancel your live service, throw the xbox in the trash bin and start a world wide boycott, the tools have never been easier to make it happen.

The xbox was fine as a gaming console now its being touted as a social media hub.

Raijian

Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.9 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula 890FX
Cooling Thermaltake Frio + Additional Fan
Memory 12gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD 5870 1GB + ATi Radeon HD 5870 [Crossfire]
Display(s) Samsung 25" LED
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 Full Tower
Audio Device(s) ASRock VIA HD Onboard 7.1 Audio
Power Supply Kingwin Mach 1 1000W
Software Windows 7 x64 Professional / Backtrack 5
Walk in bedroom
Turn on 360
Play Gears of War
Decide to watch Toyota advertisement for no apparent reason
Decide that very moment to buy a Toyota
Decide to use 360 as a GPS instead of common knowledge of dealerships or if one really doesn't know the area, I don't know, say, a GPS?

no.