• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Office 2019 Will Run on Windows 10, and Only Windows 10

You can choke o your Office M$...

I bought yearly license last year because I was forced to it with some stupid macropowered spreadsheets running only on M$ Office. Month or two later problem has been solved by moving to different platform and I promptly cancelled this POS. Yeah, I've lost a bit of money, but in 10 years I won't even remember this.

No way, in a million years I'll use M$ Office again. Last which I was using before going to Open>then>Libre Office was Office2000 and since then everything went south, beyond mud and bottom level. Being forced into W10 is just as much of M$ as I'll tolerate in my life post-W7 era.
Why to go through the effort to hate (and let anyone know about it) a product when you can simply move to something that fits your needs or possibilities? Do you do this with every software you wouldn't want to use, or is this actually only about MS?

On topic, Windows 7 support ends in January 2020. Windows 8.1 support ends in January 2023 (but it's also used by 10 or 12 people around the globe). Does it make sense to launch a new Office version to target OSes going out of support so soon? Apple, Google, Microsoft, and others all do this with big product launches. They look to synchronize support schedules so they don't end up spending (and charging you) 10 times more to support old platforms with missing features. You expect the software (especially from Microsoft) to always be bleeding edge and secure, but somehow run on outdated, out of support, and insecure platforms. And be dirt cheap. Or free. And you're surprised that a business is looking for profit. Are you giving away your work for free every day?

Do you complain manufacturers don't support you with putting 2018 tech in a 2009 car. Or put in a 4K panel into your 10 year old TV. Or run today's apps on an iPhone 4. Or run 32bit apps in iOS 11, and in MacOS starting June 2018. Or run Chrome browser on a Windows Vista. Or run this year's Android on last year's phone. Or put an NVMe SSD into your 7 year old laptop.

Looks to me like you're willing to accept and justify these limitations for everybody but MS. Which means it's not an actual problem, it's just your personal grudge with one company.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Windows for desktop and laptop is 82.7% they wont lose anything, anytime soon, the mobile phone market is no contest andriod will win that.

Look here. Quite interesting to see this movement across one year only. These markets are linked, people have their screen time per day, they don't use both 'more'. Now factor in hardware prices for desktop have gone up, and the average price for a decent mid range phone is stabilizing at 200-300 eur/$. That's a choice between two sticks of 8GB / a crappy plastic laptop that barely runs, or a fully featured phone + OS.

https://netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?options={"filter":{"$and":[{"deviceType":{"$in":["Desktop/laptop","Mobile"]}}]},"dateLabel":"Trend","attributes":"share","group":"platform","sort":{"share":-1},"id":"platformsDesktop","dateInterval":"Monthly","dateStart":"2017-02","dateEnd":"2018-01","segments":"-1000"}

In the end, this is what MS is trying to combat with W10 / One Windows / Continuum and all that other desperate stuff. The fact is, they're already way too late.

Last edited:
System Name Diablo | Baal | Mephisto | Andariel
Processor i5-3570K@4.4GHz | 2x Xeon X5675 | i7-4710MQ | i7-2640M
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 | HP DL380 G6 | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Cooling Swiftech H220-X | Chassis cooled (6 fans + HS) | dual-fanned heatpipes | small-fanned heatpipe
Memory 32GiB DDR3-1600 CL9 | 96GiB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM | 32GiB DDR3L-1866 CL11 | 8GiB DDR3L-1600 CL11
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 670 in SLI | Embedded ATi ES1000 | Quadro K2100M | Intel HD 3000
Storage many, many SSDs and HDDs....
Display(s) 1 Dell U3011 + 2x Dell U2410 | HP iLO2 KVMoIP | 3200x1800 Sharp IGZO | 1366x768 IPS with Wacom pen
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D | HP DL380 G6 Chassis | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD | None | On-board | On-board
Power Supply Corsair AX850 | Dual 750W Redundant PSU (Delta) | Dell 330W+240W (Flextronics) | Lenovo 65W (Delta)
Mouse Logitech G502, Logitech G700s, Logitech G500, Dell optical mouse (emergency backup)
Keyboard 1985 IBM Model F 122-key, Ducky YOTT MX Black, Dell AT101W, 1994 IBM Model M, various integrated
Software FAAAR too much to list
Look here. Quite interesting to see this movement across one year only. These markets are linked, people have their screen time per day, they don't use both 'more'. Now factor in hardware prices for desktop have gone up, and the average price for a decent mid range phone is stabilizing at 200-300 eur/$. That's a choice between two sticks of 8GB / a crappy plastic laptop that barely runs, or a fully featured phone + OS.

https://netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?options={"filter":{"$and":[{"deviceType":{"$in":["Desktop/laptop","Mobile"]}}]},"dateLabel":"Trend","attributes":"share","group":"platform","sort":{"share":-1},"id":"platformsDesktop","dateInterval":"Monthly","dateStart":"2017-02","dateEnd":"2018-01","segments":"-1000"}

In the end, this is what MS is trying to combat with W10 / One Windows / Continuum and all that other desperate stuff. The fact is, they're already way too late.

Up until the point when they finally realize just how crap a touchscreen is for anything but media consumption. Then they go hunting for a $200-300 laptopp, buy it, decide it's crap and bitch about it.

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329

Like I said this doesnt affect gamers no one is uninstalling windows for andriod, a phone isnt better than a pc either and because of ppl needing powerful programs with a bigger screen and needing a mouse and keyboard windows will never be irrelevant. As far as market share, more people have phones than pcs because they need a phone, the os isnt more relevant the phone is.

Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z77 | HP DL380 G6 | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Cooling Swiftech H220-X | Chassis cooled (6 fans + HS) | dual-fanned heatpipes | small-fanned heatpipe
Memory 32GiB DDR3-1600 CL9 | 96GiB DDR3-1333 ECC RDIMM | 32GiB DDR3L-1866 CL11 | 8GiB DDR3L-1600 CL11
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 670 in SLI | Embedded ATi ES1000 | Quadro K2100M | Intel HD 3000
Display(s) 1 Dell U3011 + 2x Dell U2410 | HP iLO2 KVMoIP | 3200x1800 Sharp IGZO | 1366x768 IPS with Wacom pen
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D | HP DL380 G6 Chassis | Dell Precision M4800 | Lenovo Thinkpad X220 Tablet
Power Supply Corsair AX850 | Dual 750W Redundant PSU (Delta) | Dell 330W+240W (Flextronics) | Lenovo 65W (Delta)
Mouse Logitech G502, Logitech G700s, Logitech G500, Dell optical mouse (emergency backup)
Keyboard 1985 IBM Model F 122-key, Ducky YOTT MX Black, Dell AT101W, 1994 IBM Model M, various integrated
Like I said this doesnt affect gamers no one is uninstalling windows for andriod, a phone isnt better than a pc either and because of ppl needing powerful programs with a bigger screen and needing a mouse and keyboard windows will never be irrelevant. As far as market share, more people have phones than pcs because they need a phone, the os isnt more relevant the phone is.

Or rather, people don't work at home, usually, and if they do, they have a work-supplied machine. If you don't have to do any work at home, using a tablet or just a phone is perfectly viable (if a bit annoying at times for email and such).

For gamers, tinkerers and other home power users, Windows will stay for a very long time.

hardware prices for desktop have gone up, and the average price for a decent mid range phone is stabilizing at 200-300 eur/$. That's a choice between two sticks of 8GB / a crappy plastic laptop that barely runs, or a fully featured phone + OS.
The way you are portraying the situation is a little absurd. A 200-300E/$ phone is a "fully featured phone" but a 300-400E/$ laptop "barely runs"? For 250E/$ you get a mediocre phone that's good for light browsing, facebooking, instagraming, or youtubing. Even the cheapest laptop or tablet can do better than that. People don't buy 200E phones because they dream of the wonderful experience they offer. Heck, more complex work is a chore even on a high end phone, let alone a 200E one.

NetMarketShare data just tells you how people browse the section of internet they are monitoring or trends for internet usage. And the phone gives you full-time browsing: on the bus, in the elevator, while driving, in the shitter, etc. So if your life revolves around web browsing then you're good. But what about trends for anything else? What do you do when you need some productivity? Where do you go if you want to edit a 20 page document, let alone more complex tasks? The "barely runs" laptop or the "fully featured" phone?

The statistics will keep going up because data plans become cheaper and people use them to browse even more, not because the phone is some miracle device that does everything well.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
But when we factor in that fewer people are using desktops and laptops in favor of tablets, phablets and phones, that number is dropping at a steady rate in relation to total computing devices in the world. More people are using mobile devices than traditional PC's. Fewer and fewer people want Windows machines. For many of those people it's because Microsoft took Windows in directions no one wanted to follow. It's depressing.

This statement is just not true. Both the phone and Tablet market has already stagnated. Shipments are even or dropping. In addition, there are Windows tablets like the Surface and smaller models.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
A lot of businesses aren't going to be buying it then because they're still deploying Windows 7 machines.

that doesnt effect gamers though should be (windows master race)
That's another fair point. However, the Android and iOS market as a gaming platform are fairly robust. Mostly casual gaming stuff, but there has been steady progress to appeal to the more serious gaming audience.
This statement is just not true. Both the phone and Tablet market has already stagnated.
Actually, you are incorrect. According to this(and many other stat gathering websites);
http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/all/worldwide/2017
Then look at these;
http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/all/worldwide/2016
http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/all/worldwide/2015
http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/all/worldwide/2014
For the last four years Windows has been on a steady decline and Android on a steady incline. In March of 2017 Android became the dominant OS. They traded places very briefly in Nov of 2017, but the trend has resumed.
It is likely to continue and Windows may very well become irrelevant on many levels before the end of the decade.
Office 2019 only supporting Win10 may become a non-issue during and after it's release.

Last edited:

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329
That's another fair point. However, the Android and iOS market as a gaming platform are fairly robust. Mostly casual gaming stuff, but there has been steady progress to appeal to the more serious gaming audience.

Actually, you are incorrect. According to this(and many other stat gathering websites);
Then look at these;
For the last four years Windows has been on a steady decline and Android on a steady incline. In March of 2017 Android became the dominant OS. They traded places very briefly in Nov of 2017, but the trend has resumed.
It is likely to continue and Windows may very well become irrelevant on many levels before the end of the decade.
Office 2019 only supporting Win10 may become a non-issue during and after it's release.
Windows will never be irrelevant due to the fact a phone cant replace a pc in so many things, such as real gaming on a steam platform which is not declining and anything literally anything that requires mouse precision and businesses needing the speed of typing on a keyboard will andriod beat desktops or laptops in, the future is probably those laptops that turn into tablets.. And they will be on windows lol, because windows does business best, does gaming best and has more features andriod cant replace it.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Or you could just get Office365 like most of us home/SMB MSOffice users. 100USD/year gets you 5 desktop licenses, 5 mobile (Android/iOS) licenses and 1TB of OneDrive. In my case, just licensing MSOffice for my 4 machines works out cheaper using O365 than buying any form of lifetime license, and I get to always be on the latest version (or any other supported version, in case I need a downgrade).
Or, you could save $100 a year, use libre/openoffice, and use google drive to share documents without paying a penny.

No office program is worth $100 a year.

Why to go through the effort to hate (and let anyone know about it) a product when you can simply move to something that fits your needs or possibilities? Do you do this with every software you wouldn't want to use, or is this actually only about MS?

On topic, Windows 7 support ends in January 2020. Windows 8.1 support ends in January 2023 (but it's also used by 10 or 12 people around the globe). Does it make sense to launch a new Office version to target OSes going out of support so soon? Apple, Google, Microsoft, and others all do this with big product launches. They look to synchronize support schedules so they don't end up spending (and charging you) 10 times more to support old platforms with missing features. You expect the software (especially from Microsoft) to always be bleeding edge and secure, but somehow run on outdated, out of support, and insecure platforms. And be dirt cheap. Or free. And you're surprised that a business is looking for profit. Are you giving away your work for free every day?

Do you complain manufacturers don't support you with putting 2018 tech in a 2009 car. Or put in a 4K panel into your 10 year old TV. Or run today's apps on an iPhone 4. Or run 32bit apps in iOS 11, and in MacOS starting June 2018. Or run Chrome browser on a Windows Vista. Or run this year's Android on last year's phone. Or put an NVMe SSD into your 7 year old laptop.

Looks to me like you're willing to accept and justify these limitations for everybody but MS. Which means it's not an actual problem, it's just your personal grudge with one company.
there are 2 classes that make up the majority of people who bother paying for officeL businesses and older folks who dont know about anything other then office, but still buy the newest as opposed to still using 2003.

Both groups still have a large number of 7 machines, and will not upgrade until they absolutely have to. Until businesses move to 10, sales will be low.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10

Then look at these;

The source for that data is StatCounter, a web analytics tool you use in conjunction with your website. There are three problems with that

1. Websites that use StatCounter are not an accurate representation of OS Marketshare. There are a billion variables in the way of a clear analysis and simply recording the OS visiting a website is not a good measure. What if the websites that use statcounter are typically one's visited by mobile devices? This is ignoring the fact that mobile devices are made to do simple things like web browse while many PC many never even visit a single statcounter website while it's toiling away encoding.

2. The fact that Statcounter is not applied consistently

3. Methodology is not shown or explained. This data is worthless without this and could very well be misleading if incorrectly gathered. Bad data is worse than no data.

Seriously, that is a terrible source and the iOS marketshare should have given that away. Just by financial data alone we can tell more iOS devices are out in the wild than is suggested.

Windows will never be irrelevant due to the fact a phone cant replace a pc in so many things, such as real gaming on a steam platform which is not declining and anything literally anything that requires mouse precision and businesses needing the speed of typing on a keyboard will andriod beat desktops or laptops in, the future is probably those laptops that turn into tablets.. And they will be on windows lol, because windows does business best, does gaming best and has more features andriod cant replace it.
Stranger things have happened..
The source for that data is StatCounter, a web analytics tool you use in conjunction with your website. There are three problems with that

1. Websites that use StatCounter are not an accurate representation of OS Marketshare. There are a billion variables in the way of a clear analysis and simply recording the OS visiting a website is not a good measure. What if the websites that use statcounter are typically one's visited by mobile devices? This is ignoring the fact that mobile devices are made to do simple things like web browse while many PC many never even visit a single statcounter website while it's toiling away encoding.

2. The fact that Statcounter is not applied consistently

3. Methodology is not shown or explained. This data is worthless without this and could very well be misleading if incorrectly gathered. Bad data is worse than no data.

Seriously, that is a terrible source and the iOS marketshare should have given that away. Just by financial data alone we can tell more iOS devices are out in the wild than is suggested.
Could quote other statistical information, but you would likely just rationalize and disregard it. So not gonna bother. You are incorrect. If you don't want to accept reality, then go along your merry way. No worries.

If only ran a PC for office it would be linux based. MAybe mac based.
But id not bother with windows 10 just for office.

If it wasnt for the gamers microsfot would be pretty screwed

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
If only ran a PC for office it would be linux based. MAybe mac based.
But id not bother with windows 10 just for office.

If it wasnt for the gamers microsfot would be pretty screwed
I really hate to break it to you, but we gamers are but a small segment of the market.

Then windows will become a yearly sub (M$ will call it updates), just wait. They'll try to pinch the corporations first.

Too late, it's already happened.

Microsoft 365

It makes a lot of sense for businesses, not so much for consumers. If you're deep in the Windows ecosystem, this will soon become the superior option.

A lot of businesses aren't going to be buying it then because they're still deploying Windows 7 machines.

Depends on when you started your rollout. You can't start new rollouts from scratch now because Microsoft isn't handing out keys to anyone, although Windows 8.1 is still a viable option.

But to say they're not going to buy it? Eh. Microsoft's interoperability between Office suites isn't that great, particularly between Office 2016 and Office 2007. They both read the same basic formats, and files created on one opens on the other. However, there are significant differences in how the different suites interprets them. Businesses might move to Office 2019 just for compatibility purposes.

Or, you could save $100 a year, use libre/openoffice, and use google drive to share documents without paying a penny.

Use Google Drive, but just don't open or edit anything on Google Drive. I've had it mess up a few ODF files before, though I think that may have been because the file was generated with a beta version of Libre Office.

I really hate to break it to you, but we gamers are but a small segment of the market.

Gamers on Windows machines account for over 150 million users on Steam, as one example. Windows 10's shipments to date are around the 660 million licenses sold mark. Gamers are a significant source of revenue for Microsoft, especially when you take Microsoft Store sales into account. Soon, they'll have Windows 10 gamers signing up for Xbox Game Pass.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Sigh....delusions of grandeur. There is a reason MS over the last 20 years has continually cycled between either screwing gamers over with intent or incompetency, and then reappearing every few years with a new pledge to support PC gaming. We aren't enough to truly matter compared to the rest of the user base.

The way you are portraying the situation is a little absurd. A 200-300E/$ phone is a "fully featured phone" but a 300-400E/$ laptop "barely runs"? For 250E/$ you get a mediocre phone that's good for light browsing, facebooking, instagraming, or youtubing. Even the cheapest laptop or tablet can do better than that. People don't buy 200E phones because they dream of the wonderful experience they offer. Heck, more complex work is a chore even on a high end phone, let alone a 200E one.

NetMarketShare data just tells you how people browse the section of internet they are monitoring or trends for internet usage. And the phone gives you full-time browsing: on the bus, in the elevator, while driving, in the shitter, etc. So if your life revolves around web browsing then you're good. But what about trends for anything else? What do you do when you need some productivity? Where do you go if you want to edit a 20 page document, let alone more complex tasks? The "barely runs" laptop or the "fully featured" phone?

The statistics will keep going up because data plans become cheaper and people use them to browse even more, not because the phone is some miracle device that does everything well.

Well, you can get a Galaxy J7 prime for about $200, and the Galaxy A8 and OnePlus are around the 400-500 mark. Much cheaper than a decent laptop (which over the past 10 years of laptop shopping I've found hovers around the 1200-1500 mark). Sure, it's a consumption-only device, but that's what most people do with their computing devices outside of work! For the 3 times a year the average person needs to actually do something that requires a proper keyboard and decent screen, they'll just use their work-provided machine, or borrow a relative's computer or something of the sort.

This is especially relevant in 3rd-world countries (I'm from one, so I get to call us that!) where people have much lower incomes, and proportionally less money to spend on tech. When you have to choose between a $500 shitty PC + $100 featurephone vs dropping 400-800 on a decent smartphone, you often go towards the phone side. ESPECIALLY if your job gets you access to a real computer.

EDIT: I wouldn't buy a J-series samsung (I need real amounts of RAM on my phone), but it's perfectly adequate for most of my relatives.
EDIT2: I use Syncthing for my own syncing (I have more data synced than literally any free service allows me to store), GSuite business for my own bulk offsite storage, and oneDrive Business/SharePoint for work stuff.

Then look at these;

Ignoring the points @evernessince mentioned, the obvious, and most important missing bit in the statcounter info is the complete lack of total numbers. % changes in tech often means just changes in growth rates, and a lot less people abandoning a platform for another.

No office program is worth $100 a year.

OneNote is. Real OneNote, not the bastardized, useless POS that is the UWP app.

I guess Excel and PowerPoint are good too, and Work is a passable word processor... Outlook's passable too...

there are 2 classes that make up the majority of people who bother paying for officeL businesses and older folks who dont know about anything other then office, but still buy the newest as opposed to still using 2003.

Both groups still have a large number of 7 machines, and will not upgrade until they absolutely have to. Until businesses move to 10, sales will be low.

If you work with other business, people or states, you often end up using MSOffice just to keep collaboration sane. Especially if you use Excel beyond =A7+B7. A bunch of businesses have moved to 10 as well, like my dad's small consultancy. It's been great for me, since I don't need to worry about updates in particular.

Processor I7-6700
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S
Cooling 2*120mm
Memory G.Skill D416GB 3200-14 Trident Z K2 GSK
Video Card(s) Rx480 Sapphire
Storage SSD Samsung 256GB 850 pro + bunch of TB
Case Antec
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply be quit 900W
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G11
I see 14% respond with a "yes" in the poll.
If that means that 14% switches from another OS to Win10; means a shift of 7% marketshare to Win10 (bit more than 50% is not on Win10)

That´s reason enough for MS to push this

I see 14% respond with a "yes" in the poll.
If that means that 14% switches from another OS to Win10; means a shift of 7% marketshare to Win10 (bit more than 50% is not on Win10)

That´s reason enough for MS to push this

I suspect a lot of people who have already switched to W10 may have voted in favour of switching. I know I didn't, but I definitely considered doing so.

Ignoring the points @evernessince mentioned, the obvious, and most important missing bit in the statcounter info is the complete lack of total numbers. % changes in tech often means just changes in growth rates, and a lot less people abandoning a platform for another.
Except that the graph referenced doesn't monitor growth change, it monitors actual usage. So it is, in fact, a valid reference. But there are more statistical databases than that one. Unfortunately, people are more concerned with seeing what they want to see and rationalizing rather than looking at actual, factual, information.

Except that the graph referenced doesn't monitor growth change, it monitors actual usage. So it is, in fact, a valid reference. But there are more statistical databases than that one. Unfortunately, people are more concerned with seeing what they want to see and rationalizing rather than looking at actual, factual, information.

My point was that the sample size changes month to month, which may be an indicator of differing growth rate rather than platform abandonment. For example, take an initial population of 100 W10 and 100 W7 users. That makes 50% of each. Now, add 200 W10 users and 100 W7 users. This results in 60% W10 and 40% W7. Sure, the percent for W7 has gone down, but it's grown all the same.

In the context of my comment, when you go by where the PC user numbers are changing, you'll find that a very large chunk is from 3rd-world nations constantly improving computer access, primarily by a LOT of people buying their first smartphone, which is almost certainly an Android device.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Stranger things have happened..

Could quote other statistical information, but you would likely just rationalize and disregard it. So not gonna bother. You are incorrect. If you don't want to accept reality, then go along your merry way. No worries.

You might as well have qouted breitbart news as a good source, that's the quality of the website you linked. I pointed out errors and you couldn't refute them.

" but you would likely just rationalize and disregard it"

Oh noes! I'm a rational person! Whoa, I must be bad in the era of fake news for wanting to check sources and methodologies.

It monitors select webpages, that's not actual usage in any form. Factual? Where are the actual numbers behind their percentages? Oh, that's right, they don't provide any.

You might as well have qouted breitbart news as a good source, that's the quality of the website you linked. I pointed out errors and you couldn't refute them.
" but you would likely just rationalize and disregard it"
Oh noes! I'm a rational person! Whoa, I must be bad in the era of fake news for wanting to check sources and methodologies.
It monitors select webpages, that's not actual usage in any form. Factual? Where are the actual numbers behind their percentages? Oh, that's right, they don't provide any.
Ok, we're done here. Continue believing whatever you want.

Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Storage Too much
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
Ok, we're done here. Continue believing whatever you want.

I think we all know you are talking to yourself here. For example: http://www.zdnet.com/article/todays-most-popular-operating-systems/

And a funny excerpt from the article

"NetMarketShare and StatCounter are both popular for their operating system and web browser measurements, but their numbers are massaged. Both companies use different methodologies. Their results often vary for reasons that don't appear to have any rhyme or reasons."

Looks like Major tech publications agree with me too. Look at the difference in data you can get merely by measuring different websites.

"First, while both companies have the same general goal—measuring Web browser popularity—they use different methodologies. Ultimately, they're not really measuring the same thing, or even trying to do so. Net Applications, Net Market Share's parent company, is more interested in counting unique visitors' Web browser hits, while StatCounter looks at raw browser hits."

In otherwards, exactly what I said. The way they collect their data makes it completely useless for measuring marketshare. Now I've provided my analysis, let's see if you can refute it.