• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Security Essentials bombs on first 2011 AV-Test

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
May. 5, 2011 (9:30 am) By: Lee Mathews

Ever since its arrival, I’ve been happily using Microsoft Security Essentials — and while one poor showing in a comparative test isn’t going to drive me away, I’ll admit I’m a little concerned. AV-Test GmbH has posted results from its first quarter 2011 testing of 22 antivirus applications on Windows 7, and MSE barely managed to squeak out a certification-worthy score. AV-Test requires a minimum of 11 points to certify, and MSE posted 11.5.

So where did the wheels come off the train? Security Essentials struggled with zero-day threats, malicious software which has yet to be analyzed and rolled into an antivirus program’s definition files. The average across all 22 entrants was an 84% detection rate, but MSE only detected half of the samples thrown at it. Even more worrying is that MSE only managed to block 45% of malware during or after execution. AV-Test’s Andreas Marx said that MSE’s lack of effective Web and email scanners were major negatives, and expects that the program’s poor results in the lab are translating into equally poor results in the real world, too.

Compare those marks to Kaspersky’s — 98% detection and 100% blocking. They might not be able to protect their own websites from being defaced, but it’s pretty clear that Kasperksy is very capable of defending your computers against malware. Even PC Tools — acquired by Symantec and now a sort of “value-priced” Norton Antivirus — posted significantly better scores than MSE. In fact, PC Tools was perfect in both areas, scoring 100% on both detection and blocking (though it still failed to amass enough points for certification).

Heuristic detection and protection against zero-day threats is a critical piece of the Windows security puzzle in 2011. Crimeware kits make it far too easy for malware authors to remix their nefarious programs, which allows them to stay a step ahead of definition-based defenses. Yes, there were tests on which MSE scored extremely well this time around — like a 5.5/6 for usability with no false positives registered — but I hope Microsoft looks at the AV-Test results and re-doubles its efforts to get MSE back among the best performers.

Read more at AV-Test

Source: Geek.com

I use Kaspersky on my main PC, but MSE on my laptop, it looks like i will be buying another Kaspersky licence for my lappy

Last edited:
System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Were they sending real viruses at the thing?

If no, then that could explain the results, MSE is the least "OMFG VIRUS" anti-virus I've used so far. Hate all the paid for anti-viruses, they think everything a virus.

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
I had changed some of my home brew low cost PC (I do for friends) over to MSE an have had two of them come back to me all virused up. Not so happy about that!

That being said, I also have had a Norton recently that was totally ridden with the pox so it's not just MSE.

I have always used Kaspersky on my rig and haven't had troubles so that is what I am recommending right now, even though I know of one rig in the past year that got badly attacked running K. It was an all girl computer, they would believe anything I swear! - "your computer is under threat unless you install this" etc.

Protection of a PC is impossible without some precautions by the user.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
Were they sending real viruses at the thing?

If no, then that could explain the results, MSE is the least "OMFG VIRUS" anti-virus I've used so far. Hate all the paid for anti-viruses, they think everything a virus.

I would also be interested in knowing the exact scenarios, but i can't find them. In their report, they do include a "usability" section where they note the amount of false positives. I have had loads of false positives with other free AV software, but none since using both MSE and Kaspersky.