• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 RT Priced, Starts at $499

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
One thing that bugs me is that it will not run X32 applications which is kinda a buzz kill. You get something with windows OS on it and expect it to be like a netbook.

System Name Blue Beast 2.0
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling EK EK-AIO 360 D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra Gaming Hybrid
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 500GB NVME, Western Digital SN750 1TB NVME, Western Digital SN850 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC AG271QG, Dell UltraSharp U2414H
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic - Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DGX PCI-E 5.1
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO
Keyboard Corsair Strafe MK.2 Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
One thing that bugs me is that it will not run X32 applications which is kinda a buzz kill. You get something with windows OS on it and expect it to be like a netbook.

True, but that's why Surface RT isn't a laptop replacement, it's a companion device. With all the apps in the Store now, I can do 90% of what I usually do on my laptop, but with a lot more mobility and battery life. After reading the reviews of the Surface Pro I'm even more content with my decision to purchase Surface RT.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
True, but that's why Surface RT isn't a laptop replacement, it's a companion device. With all the apps in the Store now, I can do 90% of what I usually do on my laptop, but with a lot more mobility and battery life. After reading the reviews of the Surface Pro I'm even more content with my decision to purchase Surface RT.

doesn't surface pro have less battery life than a laptop and much less storage space and gets much hotter?

System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit
doesn't surface pro have less battery life than a laptop and much less storage space and gets much hotter?

See anand's review.

Battery life: 4 to 5 hours is longer than my laptop, I dont know what is considered normal these days, but I'd say that atleast the battery life is not bad, all things considered.

Storage space is indeed a quite sparse if you get the 64GB version and dont use a memory card. I'd say 128GB, or the use of a memory card will results in enough space.

When it comes to temperatures, according to the review, the cpu sensor reported a temperature between 60 and 70C, and the temperature of the tablet on the outside was a max of 40 degrees, apparently.

Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 500GB NVME, Western Digital SN750 1TB NVME, Western Digital SN850 1TB NVME
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO

I was talking about Surface RT, not Surface Pro. But yes you are correct, though I've heard varying reports on the temps (see this review here). It's prices a little high, but I have yet to see any other OEM match the build quality of Surface (both the Pro and RT).

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
well i don't get it. the ipad 4 beats the surface in everything except memory and yet the ipad runs nearly as fast. you can get a fancy keyboard for the ipad just like the surface pro has. why not save $200 and get an ipad 4?

Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Mouse ROG Pugio II
well i don't get it. the ipad 4 beats the surface in everything except memory and yet the ipad runs nearly as fast. you can get a fancy keyboard for the ipad just like the surface pro has. why not save $200 and get an ipad 4?

Are you now talking about the surface RT, of the surface pro?

cadaveca

My name is Dave

iPad4 doesn't run Windows.

Surface Pro meets all my daily needs, except gaming, runs all my apps(including Photoshop), and is nice and small. iPad? It's got apps. Hoorrah.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Are you now talking about the surface RT, of the surface pro?

surface pro

iPad4 doesn't run Windows.

Surface Pro meets all my daily needs, except gaming, runs all my apps(including Photoshop), and is nice and small. iPad? It's got apps. Hoorrah.

right, so you are willing to spend an extra $200 for a tablet for the OS. i am not directing this at you, but for those people who call people who like apple products 'fanbois' i am pretty sure this little fact will make their heads explode. sorry for the run-on sentence.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
right, so you are willing to spend an extra $200 for a tablet for the OS. i am not directing this at you, but for those people who call people who like apple products 'fanbois' i am pretty sure this little fact will make their heads explode. sorry for the run-on sentence.

Me? Sure. That OS gives me the functionality I need, and if I have to buy a specific device for it.. that's fine. It's not the only tablet available though, so the iPad's real usefulness, to me, is for watching video only, and minor surfing.:p

I want more touchscreen controls, though, so while Surface Pro greatly appeals to me, it is not high on my list of wants right now. However, build a decent Wacom tablet into the top, charge me $99 more, and I'll buy one this instant.

In my house, even my cable box runs a Microsoft OS. The seamless integration...you only get out of using a complete platform, and I'm already a Windows user, not a Mac user.

If I had a Mac, and an iPhone, I'd buy the iPad, most likely.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Me? Sure. That OS gives me the functionality I need, and if I have to buy a specific device for it.. that's fine. It's not the only tablet available though, so the iPad's real usefulness, to me, is for watching video only, and minor surfing.:p

I want more touchscreen controls, though, so while Surface Pro greatly appeals to me, it is not high on my list of wants right now. However, build a decent Wacom tablet into the top, charge me $99 more, and I'll buy one this instant.

In my house, even my cable box runs a Microsoft OS. The seamless integration...you only get out of using a complete platform, and I'm already a Windows user, not a Mac user.

If I had a Mac, and an iPhone, I'd buy the iPad, most likely.

exactly right! if most of your stuff is already running windows then it is so much easier integrating newer windows products into your environment. so obviously you would want a surface tablet. i am not sure why people don't understand this simple aspect of computer users.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
i am not sure why people don't understand this simple aspect of computer users.

Oh, that's simple. It stinks of "The Man" too much. Or whatever label you want to give to "Corporate Evil". People dislike IE, ads on the internet, and all the rest, for exactly the same reasons.

I don't mind using specialized devices for specialized tasks. My phone..is a phone. It doesn't play videos...or text message...

My TV is for TV, I have a separate panel for console gaming. I have a PC for work, and a PC for play.

When I walk out my front door, I leave all the technology sitting on my desk.

When all these things cost so much out of one's paycheck, it's easy to understand both wanting one thing that will do it all, as well as understanding the real importance of these devices, too. For most, it's not just a phone in their pocket... It's their life. If someone can easily intrude on that...

You just can't win, as a tech company. On one hand people love you, and on the other, they want you dead. That's a pretty fine line to walk.

As a parent, my life is my kids. The rest is just distractions. Having four kids, those distractions take up far less importance in my life than they do for most, so simply, I just don't care. I want devices that make my life easier, and paying a little for that is no big deal. I think the same is true for any parent...but not everyone out there with disposal income is a parent.

Most PC enthusiasts..aren't parents. The demographic makes it pretty basic, IMHO.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Oh, that's simple. It stinks of "The Man" too much. Or whatever label you want to give to "Corporate Evil". People dislike IE, ads on the internet, and all the rest, for exactly the same reasons.

I don't mind using specialized devices for specialized tasks. My phone..is a phone. It doesn't play videos...or text message...

My TV is for TV, I have a separate panel for console gaming. I have a PC for work, and a PC for play.

When I walk out my front door, I leave all the technology sitting on my desk.

When all these things cost so much out of one's paycheck, it's easy to understand both wanting one thing that will do it all, as well as understanding the real importance of these devices, too. For most, it's not just a phone in their pocket... It's their life. If someone can easily intrude on that...

You just can't win, as a tech company. On one hand people love you, and on the other, they want you dead. That's a pretty fine line to walk.

As a parent, my life is my kids. The rest is just distractions. Having four kids, those distractions take up far less importance in my life than they do for most, so simply, I just don't care. I want devices that make my life easier, and paying a little for that is no big deal. I think the same is true for any parent...but not everyone out there with disposal income is a parent.

Most PC enthusiasts..aren't parents. The demographic makes it pretty basic, IMHO.

Three kids just makes me want something that works......problem is in my case everything doesn't work right. When I was a kid we had an RCA TV built into a cabinet. I would turn in on and watch TV. Now I gotta turn on the cable box before the TV or I have to turn everything off and start over (including the DVD player). Everyday I'm like "I JUST WANNA WATCH F#@KING CARTOONS!" Cable company blames the TV maker, TV maker blames the Cable company and I'm getting really good at the range with my 30.06.

Mouse Logitech G502 HERO
surface pro

The iPad doesn't have expandable storage, it doesn't have a USB port where you can plug in printers/mice/keyboards/cameras/xbox controllers/USB drives/phones etc, or a keyboard with a trackpad that doubles as a cover. Surface Rt and Surface Pro can both do this (and more with the Surface Pro since it's x86). I can do more on my Surface RT than I could ever do on an iPad, and it only cost me an extra $130 to do it.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
The iPad doesn't have expandable storage, it doesn't have a USB port where you can plug in printers/mice/keyboards/cameras/xbox controllers/USB drives/phones etc, or a keyboard with a trackpad that doubles as a cover. Surface Rt and Surface Pro can both do this (and more with the Surface Pro since it's x86). I can do more on my Surface RT than I could ever do on an iPad, and it only cost me an extra $130 to do it.

derp. for $20 you can buy a usb dongle that plugs right into the ipad and do everything you just mentioned.

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
derp. for $20 you can buy a usb dongle that plugs right into the ipad and do everything you just mentioned.

Lol Rhino, you won't get anywhere with that argument. Having to modify and tweak tablets for extra functionality is only tolerable with regards to Android (and now Windows 8), not iOS.

Higher price? No problem! as long as it's not iOS
Similar app store policies? No problem! as long as it's not iOS
Gimped functionality (no x32 apps)? No problem! as long as it's not iOS

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Lol Rhino, you won't get anywhere with that argument. Having to modify and tweak tablets for extra functionality is only tolerable with regards to Android (and now Windows 8), not iOS.

Higher price? No problem! as long as it's not iOS
Similar app store policies? No problem! as long as it's not iOS
Gimped functionality (no x32 apps)? No problem! as long as it's not iOS

Um having to lug around an extra piece of hardware for functionality goes well beyond the iOS argument.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Apple does not have any product comparable to Surface Pro so I can't understand why some want to compare the iPad with this Microsoft tablet. One runs a mobile OS on ARM and the other a full destktop OS on a mobile Ivy Bridge i5.

It's like comparing a toy gun with the real deal. With the toy you might impress some people but with the real gun you can actually shoot the bastard.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Apple does not have any product comparable to Surface Pro so I can't understand why some want to compare the iPad with this Microsoft tablet. One runs a mobile OS on ARM and the other a full destktop OS on a mobile Ivy Bridge i5.

It's like comparing a toy gun with the real deal. With the toy you might impress some people but with the real gun you can actually shoot the bastard.

in case you havn't been paying attention, the ipad with the arm proc runs nearly as fast and COOLER/LONGER than the surface does with its i5.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
in case you havn't been paying attention, the ipad with the arm proc runs nearly as fast and COOLER/LONGER than the surface does with its i5.

But it doesn't run anything other then Apple Apps. Call me when it runs Photoshop like the Surface.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
But it doesn't run anything other then Apple Apps. Call me when it runs Photoshop like the Surface.

well since the surface doesnt have a wacom built into it i don't see your point. are you going to use your fingers to draw? :laugh: i mean that might be fun and all...

Mouse ROG Pugio II
well since the surface doesnt have a wacom built into it i don't see your point. are you going to use your fingers to draw? :laugh: i mean that might be fun and all...

It actually uses wacom tech for its pen.
Damn why do people keep claiming stuff without even bothering to read up about it.

Edit: I can understand that some stuff is just complicated/difficult to understand or just not totally clear, but this is just a simple fact that has been mentioned a lot. Page dedicated to pen input

TheMailMan78

Big Member

No but does have Bluetooth which the new wacoms use. The Surface would make an AWESOME portable work station and tablet rolled into one. When they boost the sensitivity up a good surface will replace my tower. I know a LOT of artists that cannot wait.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
No but does have Bluetooth which the new wacoms use. The Surface would make an AWESOME portable work station and tablet rolled into one.

tell yea what! find a positive review of the surface pro by a professional graphics artist like yourself using photoshop,etc and i will humbly say you have found one use for the surface that the ipad can't do.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
tell yea what! find a positive review of the surface pro by a professional graphics artist like yourself using photoshop,etc and i will humbly say you have found one use for the surface that the ipad can't do.

They are not using them yet. Sensitivity isn't there. However the hardware other then that is more then enough.