• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft won't release Service Pack 2 for Windows 7

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Thanks for the link, however, that is for just security updates and does not include a complete rollup of service packs.

Also, do not label everyone the same.
I have a disliked for Windows 8 as it is, I could care less about a Start menu (which, can be restored, some what, with software or hacking)... it is the overall experience on my existing equipment, period.

I f**king don't like it, on the devices I have. My opinion and my choice.
I don't like a lot of things , especially, trolls.

Please read and understand posts and stop categorizing people to suit your mindset.

I still notice he is running windows 7 64 bit, so if 8 is so good why hasnt he moved to it completely, oh wait it must suck then:D

Ok, bickering aside.

The interface for Windows 8 is new, and that will obviously handicap some people. The argument against changing the interface is simple, it's been the same basic thing since windows xp, and a decade of that interface will be difficult to move people away from.

On the flip side, the interface change is something others want to see. You can bet that creative souls out there will use the interface well on tablets... or maybe phones....

I've heard the "my 6 year old can use it, why can't you?" argument. I've heard the argument that MS is trying to revolutionize the space, and a little bit of growing pains are to be expected fallacy. I've even heard the argument that xp had the same "issues" a decade ago.

Now here's the reality. MS is trying to bring smart phones, laptops, tablets, and desktops into a single environment. Windows for ARM architecture, the touch friendly interface, and what amounts to a performance optimized engine of windows 7 should all make this move clear. If it doesn't, you need to understand that MS has released a tablet of their own. If you still can't see this, you need to consider glasses.

The effort to make one OS and interface common amongst multiple devices is...misguided. My android phone isn't expected to perform the same way as my PC. MS is trying to move both communal UI, and communal fundamental engine together at once. This is a nice step forward, but it's going to be insanely alienating. There will, of course be angry and vocal people on both sides of the issue.

All of that said, this is about windows 7. I'm angry that a SP2 isn't going to be released. I'm flashing back to Vista. Of course, Vista-> Vista SP1 -> 7 -> 7 SP1 is how we can probably view this. At least that's my positive outlook considering that Vista failed so hard MS had to quickly develop a new OS, so they just reworked Vista into 7. Technically, we're on Vista SP3 if you want to look at it like that...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
this UI that MS claims is new- its main purpose is touch screen devices.

Ok, bickering aside.

The interface for Windows 8 is new, and that will obviously handicap some people. The argument against changing the interface is simple, it's been the same basic thing since windows xp, and a decade of that interface will be difficult to move people away from.

On the flip side, the interface change is something others want to see. You can bet that creative souls out there will use the interface well on tablets... or maybe phones....

I've heard the "my 6 year old can use it, why can't you?" argument. I've heard the argument that MS is trying to revolutionize the space, and a little bit of growing pains are to be expected fallacy. I've even heard the argument that xp had the same "issues" a decade ago.

Now here's the reality. MS is trying to bring smart phones, laptops, tablets, and desktops into a single environment. Windows for ARM architecture, the touch friendly interface, and what amounts to a performance optimized engine of windows 7 should all make this move clear. If it doesn't, you need to understand that MS has released a tablet of their own. If you still can't see this, you need to consider glasses.

The effort to make one OS and interface common amongst multiple devices is...misguided. My android phone isn't expected to perform the same way as my PC. MS is trying to move both communal UI, and communal fundamental engine together at once. This is a nice step forward, but it's going to be insanely alienating. There will, of course be angry and vocal people on both sides of the issue.

All of that said, this is about windows 7. I'm angry that a SP2 isn't going to be released. I'm flashing back to Vista. Of course, Vista-> Vista SP1 -> 7 -> 7 SP1 is how we can probably view this. At least that's my positive outlook considering that Vista failed so hard MS had to quickly develop a new OS, so they just reworked Vista into 7. Technically, we're on Vista SP3 if you want to look at it like that...

Processor Intel Core i7-14700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H
Cooling DeepCool AK500 WH
Memory Crucial Pro 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-5600 (CP2K16G56C46U5)
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition
Storage PNY CS3140 2TB / Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Philips 32M1N5800A
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini (White)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless Titanium 600W
Keyboard Dell KM714 Wireless
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Thanks for the link, however, that is for just security updates and does not include a complete rollup of service packs.

Also, do not label everyone the same.
I have a disliked for Windows 8 as it is, I could care less about a Start menu (which, can be restored, some what, with software or hacking)... it is the overall experience on my existing equipment, period.

I f**king don't like it, on the devices I have. My opinion and my choice.
I don't like a lot of things , especially, trolls.

Please read and understand posts and stop categorizing people to suit your mindset.

This :toast:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Why do we even need another service pack? I mean honestly, Windows 7 for me right now is rock solid and MS already said they are going to keep giving it updates and security packages well into 2015.

Seriously I don't see the big deal with service packs and Windows 7. It runs great. Am I missing something? Serious question.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
Really let me guess The No START MENU crowd.....Get over it please,Microsoft is not going to bring back a 20 year old interface just for you.
Use Windows 7 then just look for the IT update cd`s on Microsoft downloads,That ISO file will have all the updates past SP1 for you,Why would Microsoft release a service pack 2 for Win7....XP madness ring a bell??? That os will go under soon and Why would MS support Win7 past it`s prime.Prime IE 5 years is plenty for Vista,Win7 for you guys.

Microsoft will have more metro interface stuff in Win9 then what are you going to do.Use 7 until it goes EOL (End Of Life) with no support or updates like XP-Vista will ?

Here is the update cd I`m talking about.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

Holy poop 5 cds of updates........

Who the hell are you to attempt to tell me that because I see Windows 8 in a different light than you I'm some sort of whining baby. Get over yourself troll, also FYI M$ has said they will officially support Windows 7 till 2017 which is more than 5 years, and something tells me it will likely go past that, unless Windows 9 is a vast improvement.

SO do please GTFO troll.

this UI that MS claims is new- its main purpose is touch screen devices.

So we're clear, I'm on the alienated side. Windows 7 optimized with a touch screen interface is, in my opinion, a step backwards.

You want to woo me, call it as it is. Windows 7 touch, a companion to windows 7 is what MS should be calling it. Release the kernel optimization (that 8 amounts to) for windows 7 in service pack 2, and make a separate and leaner OS for phones and tablets. Once a more uniform OS can be mechanically established, marry the UIs in parts and pieces until the transition between device cannot be noticed. The abrupt cliff MS is driving towards is going to create more hate than it needs to.

Again, this is a thread about SP2 for windows 7. I'd like to see it, and I'd like for it to include some of the new features (I chose to call them "features," as 8 is not a fundamentally new OS) of windows 8. Spending another 130 USD (OEM, not retail) on an operating system that shows very few, and only incremental, improvements seems like a blatant cash grab from MS. Not to mention the store....

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
So we're clear, I'm on the alienated side. Windows 7 optimized with a touch screen interface is, in my opinion, a step backwards.

You want to woo me, call it as it is. Windows 7 touch, a companion to windows 7 is what MS should be calling it. Release the kernel optimization (that 8 amounts to) for windows 7 in service pack 2, and make a separate and leaner OS for phones and tablets. Once a more uniform OS can be mechanically established, marry the UIs in parts and pieces until the transition between device cannot be noticed. The abrupt cliff MS is driving towards is going to create more hate than it needs to.

Again, this is a thread about SP2 for windows 7. I'd like to see it, and I'd like for it to include some of the new features (I chose to call them "features," as 8 is not a fundamentally new OS) of windows 8. Spending another 130 USD (OEM, not retail) on an operating system that shows very few, and only incremental, improvements seems like a blatant cash grab from MS. Not to mention the store....

FYI there are a LOT of back end changes to Windows 8. Hating no start menu aside, Windows 8 is very different then Windows 7. Its vastly more secure how it handles things. Did you know with Windows 8 root kits no longer will work for example?

I agree the GUI is debatable. But the core of the OS is a lot, LOT better then Windows 7.

FYI there are a LOT of back end changes to Windows 8. Hating no start menu aside, Windows 8 is very different then Windows 7. Its vastly more secure how it handles things. Did you know with Windows 8 root kits no longer will work for example?

I agree the GUI is debatable. But the core of the OS is a lot, LOT better then Windows 7.

Then my understanding has been incomplete. Thank you for rectifying that ignorance.

Edited:
Removed stupidity, replaced with ignorance. Not knowing, in my book is stupidity. Being unaware, or unchanging once the fact is presented, is ignorance. Of course, my book might have been written by the 1000 chimps not working on Shakespear.

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Then my understanding has been incomplete. Thank you for rectifying that stupidity.

Stupidity? No man. Ignorant of the facts maybe, but not stupid. If I thought you were stupid I would just troll you. :laugh: :toast:

The GUI is a little nuts and the learning curb is HUGE. However the back end of Windows 8 is pretty damn epic when it comes to security.......as epic as you can get with a windows product :laugh:

People arguing about Windows 8 remind me of three dudes fighting over an ugly girl. One bitches about her face, The second guy think shes worth a date, but only one guy notices her sweet ass.......errrr back end.

Processor Intel Core i7-14700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H
Cooling DeepCool AK500 WH
Memory Crucial Pro 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-5600 (CP2K16G56C46U5)
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition
Storage PNY CS3140 2TB / Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Philips 32M1N5800A
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini (White)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless Titanium 600W
Keyboard Dell KM714 Wireless
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
People arguing about Windows 8 remind me of three dudes fighting over an ugly girl. One bitches about her face, The second guy think shes worth a date, but only one guy notices her sweet ass.......errrr back end.

Now this right here cracks me up :laugh: I needed a laugh. I have to tell this joke soon.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Off topic, but a reply I feel may be called for...

Did you know with Windows 8 root kits no longer will work for example?

Sorry, but, that is a little broad of a statement there... don't let your guard down totally.

Fixed it some: Did you know with Windows 8 a lot of older (non-updated) root kits no longer will work for example?

Windows 8 has beefed up; however, it is only a matter of time before the ball gets to the top of the hill and will roll down again. The ball being the bad guys and their malwares.

They are still there; and, it is only a matter of time and is it worth it?
Plus, no matter how much barrier you (OS devs) throw up some one will build something to find a way around/through/by-pass it.
And, you can't help the ones who just click on it.

Symantec on Windows 8 Security
or, how about a bootkit --> UEFI technology: say hello to the Windows 8 bootkit!

Just saying, trust not the PR and don't let your guard down.
Windows 8 is newish and it takes time to crack it's four point security shell.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Off topic, but a reply I feel may be called for...

Sorry, but, that is a little broad of a statement there... don't let your guard down totally.

Fixed it some: Did you know with Windows 8 a lot of older (non-updated) root kits no longer will work for example?

Windows 8 has beefed up; however, it is only a matter of time before the ball gets to the top of the hill and will roll down again. The ball being the bad guys and their malwares.

They are still there; and, it is only a matter of time and is it worth it?
Plus, no matter how much barrier you (OS devs) throw up some one will build something to find a way around/through/by-pass it.
And, you can't help the ones who just click on it.

Symantec on Windows 8 Security
or, how about a bootkit --> UEFI technology: say hello to the Windows 8 bootkit!

Just saying, trust not the PR and don't let your guard down.
Windows 8 is newish and it takes time to crack it's four point security shell.

I get what you are saying. Traditional root kits will not work is what I should have said. The UEFI boot kit is gonna be a whole new animal.......or really old one depending on your perspective. :laugh:

The newer bootkits as it stands right now are a pain to install. You almost have to go out of your way to get one. The future will be different however. As it stand NOW.....TODAY......its more secure. I fear with the UEFI rigs of today we are gonna see a whole new era of malware thats harder then ever to remove in the next few years.

.........See Viper. I've been reading. :laugh: :toast:

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-9900K Direct Die
Motherboard eVGA Z390 Dark
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1

MainframeTM

System Name Sky Net
Processor AMD Phenom II X2 550BE @ 3.93ghz & climbing
Motherboard Asus M4N82 - Deluxe
Cooling ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro
Memory CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2
Video Card(s) 2 BFG GTX 260 896mb MaxCore Slied
Storage 1 Seagate 150GIG - 2 Western Digital 80 GIG HDs as storage - 1 TB external drive
Display(s) Dell 21inch Widescreen
Case AZZA Solano 1000
Power Supply Mach 1 1000watt
Software Win7 Home Premium
It is alittle shifty for MS to try to push people to 8 for the sales. Myself I'm sticking with 7 cause it fits my need thou 8 will be more of a laptop OS for me if I ever get a laptop. Which MS would've been better off if they pushed it as a mobile OS mostly & left people to update to it on their desktop if they wanted. Makes the most sense and doesn't get all big brother on you.

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Have you actually used Windows 8 for the desktop yet? What is broken with it? Please don't knock it unless you've used it. I had qualms about its effects on productivity as well when I first installed but I now see the reason why it was done and I actually like the changes.
It doesnt matter if he has. He has always refused to use operating systems until the first service pack is released. Hell he is still on an Athlon XP. :p

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
I'm a bit mad in that its like Win 7 Users all of a sudden aren't good enough or important enough to get what previous versions of Windows have been getting.

You turned your back on us Microsoft, sooner than expected. WHY! :cry: