• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microstuttering in All Games- Frametime Spikes/GPU Power Drops/Voltage Spikes

bbacks26

Hi, so I have been getting these microstutters in almost all games I play. However, they occur much more frequently in GPU demanding games. CPU demanding games, like CSGO, I have no issue with. This leads me to believe my issue is related to my GPU. These micro stutters or frametime spikes, occur at the exact time the GPU Power % drops as indicated by MSI Afterburner. These frametime spikes are ALSO occur when my Power Limit drops to 0 and my Voltage Limit spikes to 1. My graphics card is a non-overclocked EVGA RTX 2080ti Hybrid. If anyone has any idea what could be happening I would greatly appreciate it. Below are graphs recorded while playing Jedi Fallen Order:

MY SPECS:

• -i7 9700k (not OC)
  • -EVGA Geforce RTX 2080ti XC Hybrid (not OC)
  • -Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 3200mhz (4x8)
  • -ASUS Prime Z390-A
  • -Corsair RMX 750x WATT PSU
  • -Samsung 970 EVO 500gb M.2 SSD
  • -6TB WD Blue 5400RPM HDD-1TB WD BLUE 7200RPM HDD-TP Link TL-WDN4800 PCIe Wifi Adapter
  • -Primary Monitor: ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165hz Gsync)
  • -Secondary Monitor: ASUS VG248QG (1080p, 165hz, Gsync)

The only thing I can think of right now is to try the latest drivers and take wifi pci-e card out of the system, perhaps frequencies interfere with Geforce that is running at quite high MHz.

honestly that frametime graph looks fine to me, whic games u play? if its PUBG or BF5 in DX12 it will stutter, these r games i know for sure will stutter AF

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum, transparent custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
OC the 9700k to 5ghz all core and see if the stutters go away. You should be able to achieve that with 1.35v.

Remove the powerlimit duration for the CPU too.

System Name "IBT 10x Maximum Stable"
Processor Intel i5 4690K @ 4.6GHz -> 100xx46 - 1.296v
Motherboard MSI MPower Z97
Cooling Corsair H100i + 2x Corsair "HP Edition" SP120's
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz @ 2400MHz 10-11-12-31-1T - 1.66v
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX970 4GB @ 1314 Core/1973 Mem/1515 Boost
Storage Kingston 3K 120GB SSD + Western Digital 'Green' 2TB + Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) Iiyama Prolite X2377HDS 23" IPS
Case Corsair Carbide 300R
Audio Device(s) Rotel RA-04/Cambridge Audio Azur 540R + B&W DM302/Cerwin Vega AT12 / Sony MDR-XB700 & FiiO E5
Power Supply EVGA NEX650G + Silverstone Extensions
Mouse Always failing me....
Keyboard Endlessly broken.....
Software Windoze 7 Pro 64-bit/Windoze 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores I had some of these once upon a time? Old age has seen me misplace them....
OC the 9700k to 5ghz all core and see if the stutters go away.
The 9700K should not stutter - at least never with the OP's system specs - and recommending he/she OC's the thing to 5GHz to "see if" the problem persists kinda strikes me as wrong advice..... or at least something designed to mask the original issue; never a good idea.

@bbacks26 -> The WD Blue 6TB should be an SMR drive... the 1TB is likely (99.9%+) to be AMR. The SMR drive and the way it stores information may be an issue to games that write a large amount of data or newer 'AAA' games and overall could be the reason you see stuttering.

Reinstalling Win 10 is also always a move worth considering....

Dux

I noticed different games react differently. For example, in Deus EX mankind Divided i must set it to Exclusive Fullscreen to eliminate micro stutter. In others i must enable vsync either in drivers or the game. Try testing different things for games until it works fine. Also, having OBS open and using display capture will cause any game to micro stutter. That's even when not streaming. Just having OBS displaying the display capture. Might be other software that hooks to game causing stutter as well.

bbacks26

Hi, so I have been getting these microstutters in almost all games I play. However, they occur much more frequently in GPU demanding games. CPU demanding games, like CSGO, I have no issue with. This leads me to believe my issue is related to my GPU. These micro stutters or frametime spikes, occur at the exact time the GPU Power % drops as indicated by MSI Afterburner. These frametime spikes are ALSO occur when my Power Limit drops to 0 and my Voltage Limit spikes to 1. My graphics card is a non-overclocked EVGA RTX 2080ti Hybrid. If anyone has any idea what could be happening I would greatly appreciate it. Below are graphs recorded while playing Jedi Fallen Order:

MY SPECS:

• -i7 9700k (not OC)
  • -EVGA Geforce RTX 2080ti XC Hybrid (not OC)
  • -Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 3200mhz (4x8)
  • -ASUS Prime Z390-A
  • -Corsair RMX 750x WATT PSU
  • -Samsung 970 EVO 500gb M.2 SSD
  • -6TB WD Blue 5400RPM HDD-1TB WD BLUE 7200RPM HDD-TP Link TL-WDN4800 PCIe Wifi Adapter
  • -Primary Monitor: ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165hz Gsync)
  • -Secondary Monitor: ASUS VG248QG (1080p, 165hz, Gsync)
EDIT: I FIXED THE STUTTERING!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!What I did that removed all stuttering was a combination of things so bare with me here: a fresh install of windows, unplugged the USB 3.0 cable from my motherboard, set my XMP profile to on and chose the "XMP 2" option in ASUS bios, changed my fps limit on my 165hz monitor from 162 to 163 in Nvidia control panel under "Max Framerate" (this seemed to be a more stable limit for some bizarre reason), completely uninstalled MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner as these introduced stuttering for me, Turned ON GPU Scheduling in Windows settings, turned on high performance power mode, turned off xbox game mode/dvr, and I also disabled all background apps in settings. The difference is night and day. Been dealing with stuttering for 4 months on my new 2k dollar pc and I can FINALLY enjoy it! There is literally 0 stutter now. PLEASE, if my situation is similar to yours, try out these steps. I suggest trying some of the less extreme stuff first (setting fps limit to 163, turning on XMP 2) before going ahead with a fresh windows install. The smaller things might actually be the issue. Please lmk if they helped you!

If you have 165Hz monitor, it's not obvious to me why you don't just turn Vsync ON? On NV hardware it acts as framelimiter itself.
Rivatuner and afterburner do poll GPU and if driver can't handle it - stutters. Funny example - on my HD 7970 with GPU-Z in the background in XP I first observed these stutters, but they weren't micro. :)

bbacks26

If you have 165Hz monitor, it's not obvious to me why you don't just turn Vsync ON? On NV hardware it acts as framelimiter itself.
Rivatuner and afterburner do poll GPU and if driver can't handle it - stutters. Funny example - on my HD 7970 with GPU-Z in the background in XP I first observed these stutters, but they weren't micro. :)
Hi, reasoning for my FPS limit is because I follow the blur buster gsync guide: https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/ which states that your FPS limit should be 2-3 frames below the refresh rate of your monitor so that it stays within gsync range and doesn’t introduce latency, stutters

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Glad you finally figured it out, on your... what... 8th account here? :rolleyes: :toast:

SavirNilrey

EDIT: I FIXED THE STUTTERING!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!What I did that removed all stuttering was a combination of things so bare with me here: a fresh install of windows, unplugged the USB 3.0 cable from my motherboard, set my XMP profile to on and chose the "XMP 2" option in ASUS bios, changed my fps limit on my 165hz monitor from 162 to 163 in Nvidia control panel under "Max Framerate" (this seemed to be a more stable limit for some bizarre reason), completely uninstalled MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner as these introduced stuttering for me, Turned ON GPU Scheduling in Windows settings, turned on high performance power mode, turned off xbox game mode/dvr, and I also disabled all background apps in settings. The difference is night and day. Been dealing with stuttering for 4 months on my new 2k dollar pc and I can FINALLY enjoy it! There is literally 0 stutter now. PLEASE, if my situation is similar to yours, try out these steps. I suggest trying some of the less extreme stuff first (setting fps limit to 163, turning on XMP 2) before going ahead with a fresh windows install. The smaller things might actually be the issue. Please lmk if they helped you!
Did you installed all of windows 10 updates when you freshly reinstalled windows 10? I ask because my computer stutters and the stutters gets worst if I do. I've done everything I can to fix it, but nothing has. I have changed my Motherboard, CPU, Ram Sticks, Power Supply, and GPU. Drivers are all up to date.

My Specs:
i7 10700k 5.1 ghz
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 TI Kingpin
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Samsung 970 EVO 500gb M.2 SSD
Asus Rog Maximus XII Formula
EVGA SuperNOVA TITANIUM 850W

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the corporate is my GPU power usage or something along that line. I have changed my GPU to a EVGA Geforce GTX 970, and the same problem occurs. But get this, the stutters completely goes away when I changed my GPU to a EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING. Why? I guess it has something to do with power usage because the 1050 Ti does not have power pin connectors.

I know for a fact is not my Power Supply because I've changed it to a EVGA SuperNOVA 1,000W, and the stutters are still there (With both the 970 and 2080 ti, but not the 1050 ti). So what gives?

Last edited:
I had this issue, and I tried removing the USB 3 and it worked (well 95%) but I am now unsure what case to get because it seems to be different makes and pot luck.

I have a Corsair 5000X