1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War microtransactions

Discussion in 'Games' started by mad1394, Aug 7, 2017.

?

How do microtransactions in games make you feel?

1. Not bothered.....

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Hulk smash!

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. mad1394

mad1394

Thanks Received:
    We recently learned Middle-earth: Shadow of War will feature microtransactions....some form of lootboxes which will be available to buy with real money. Developers describe it as a shortcut /way to get things faster in game.
    How does that make you feel?
    I was really anticipating this title. Now I will probably buy it when it is heavily discounted in a year or 2.

2. erocker

erocker Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Dunno... If getting things in game is about the same as Shadow of Mordor, I'll just ignore it.

Caelestis and Toothless say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    If they're just accelerators then I don't mind but if it's like every other pay to win game out there where the time commitment to complete it without spending more money, it can rot in hell.

Cvrk says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I dislike the concept even if it's not Pay2Win. Microtransactions belong in F2P, not AAA investment titles. If they're so confident in their game it should be F2P and only have microtransactions as a form of income. If they want to add things, put it in DLC. Sadly this will never happen, and microtransactions are the next step in the evolution from Expansion>expandalone>DLC.

Psychologically microtransactions are brilliant for business. Consumers are way more likely to buy add-on content as a small additional cost as opposed to half-title price DLC, and more of it. Plus it means the publishers can cash in on those "whale" players that janky F2P mobile games make millions from. Unfortunately if they game consumers too much, like Ubisoft did with their samurai-viking game, they get masses of bad press. Same goes for that dungeon game. It can leave a bitter taste in everyone's mouth and hurt future prospects. People should just take a page out of GGG's book and only sell cosmetic DLC as a suppliment to a well designed game - it makes money and everybody's happy. GGG don't have shareholders though.

IceScreamer, Frick, Cvrk and 1 other person say thanks.
  5. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
    They fuck it up .

6. Caelestis

Caelestis

Thanks Received:
    Middle-Earth: Shadow of War pays tribute to late developer with DLC character:

Warner Bros will donate money from sales to his family........

...............$3,50 of the $5 they are asking for it but only if you are living in the US except AL, HI, IL, MA, MS, SC and the rest of the world..............

7. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the same kind of micro transactions Dead Space 3 had. For instance instead of having to wait until you play 2/3 of the way into the game, you could buy all 3 scavenger bots, instead of having to pick them up in certain spots.

I really don't get why people get upset by this kind of micro trans. All it does is appease those whom have no patience. Personally I'd rather let the campaign of games unfold as they're intended. The best games are usually designed to have the resources and battles progress as you go. It's more immersive that way I feel.

I really don't see this kind of micro trans as hurting anyone, but as always you so much as mention micro trans and you have all these haters show up. Sometimes, yes, it's not well done, like with pay to win circumstances or sp content that is purchased that others cannot access. This is neither, so what's the problem really?

8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    From what i have heard they are just that, how ever the worry with it is if the grind is so long that people end up feeling the need to pay for shit.

Lets face it anyways will not have much of a story to it too.

And i too feel the same way, chances are it be cheap in no time like the last one although i have the feeling this going still be pointless getting even then.

Shame really.

10 Year Member at TPU