• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mind bugging issue - Parasites in Audio Signal Path

GABS

Hey all,

I have this issue since a few month and I tried many things, searched online for many hours, asked many people... And yet, it is still mind bugging & kind of unresolved (found a workaround but i'm not 100% happy with it).
I feel like i've ran into all of my options/close contacts... So I'm coming to you in hope someone may have a lead on why it is happening and/or how to fix it.

My issue is about parasites/interferences in my main output signal chain.
I'll list some facts so that you can understand faster:

First, here is the current/main setup with the issue :
Custom built desktop >USB-C from the MOBO > Audio Interface (MOTU M4) > Audio Interface Output 1-2 > Monitoring Controller (Drawmer CMC2) Input 1-2 > Monitoring Controller Output 1-2 > Studio Monitors.
Here is my previous setup which had no issues at all :
Custom built desktop >USB-C from the MOBO > Audio Interface (MOTU M4) > Audio Interface Output 1-2 > Studio Monitors.
(aka, just without the CMC2 monitoring controller)

Then, down to the facts:
1- The thing is when the audio interface (MOTU M4) is directly in the speakers its crystal clear/ no noise.

2- When I add a Drawmer CMC 2 monitoring controller in between those two, I hear the noise/parasites,
(Even if the audio interface is actually turned OFF, or even if i replace the input in the CMC2 by the output of an audio device that is also connected in USB to the computer (tried 2 synths), even if they are turned OFF I'll hear the parasites, it just flows throught the cables no matter what - turning off the computer made it stop).

3- Don't have this issue with my laptop.
Which allowed me to confirm that those parasites where well coming from the Desktop PC (either MOBO and/or GPU, cause sometimes in reacts to mouse movements, or GPU efforts - which seems common actually).

4- I, of course, tried to plug the Desktop & the monitoring controller in different wall outlets, no changes.
Note that I'm in a small flat and they are probably all connected on the same network i would assume.

5- And everything besides the desktop is plugged in on my furman PL-PRO C power conditionner.(I tried to plug the desktop in the furman even though it's no what i want, just to troubleshoot, didn't change a thing).

6- I bought an USB Isolator thingy on amazon, it didn't worked...
It either cancelled the entire audio signal lol

Really i don't have any idea, and Iknow/understood that the noise is coming from the MOBO or GPU or something.
But what I don't understand is why I don't hear it when the same output 1-2 of the audio interface are directly into the speakers, but I do if those same outputs goes into the monitoring controller which then goes to the speakers ? And how to eventually fix it ?

The Drawmer CMC2 is balanced and supposedly high quality monitoring controller, the brand couldn't help.. Even though there support confirmed that the product should not be the issue.
I actually replaced it once with the dealer, just to make sure, but both unit have the exact same behaviour.

The MOTU M4 is fine on its own so i really don't understand...

Any external insights/lead would me more than welcome !

Oh and also, despite the fact that I shouldn't and that the entire chain is using Mogami, high quality balanced cables, I can hear the FM radio sometimes really low when the CMC 2 is in, especially when the gain knob is at 0 (minimum) actually... I never heard it before in my setup, even in this flat, just whithout the CMC2 in the chain.

PS/ A few Tech info :
- Asus rog strix Z370 A motherboard,
- I7 8th gen / 32gb ram
- All mogami gold balanced cables for the main signal path
- tried different usb-c to usb-c and usb-a to usb-c cable to power the MOTU

- Let me know if I forgot any useful info or if anything is not clear of course.

Many thanks again in advance to anyone who would have taken the time to read me, and eventually provide any insight that might help figure it out.

Have a great day.

GABS

Any lead would be more than welcome :) if anyone has an idea, would be highly appreciated, thank you !