• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Minimalistic Lower Profile keyboard mod

System Name Asus Ryzen 2700x Rig
Processor Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard Asus B450B Prime A
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 AM4
Memory 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 (to be updated...)
Storage SiliconPower m.2 512GB, 2TB HDD + Crucial M4SSD + Kingston SSD V400 256GB
Display(s) 2x Dell UltraSharp 24"
Case Corsair midtower
Audio Device(s) Schiit Jotunheim Dac-Amp -> AudioTechnica MSR7
Power Supply Seasonic 520W modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Skeleton modded CM Quickfire Ultimate Mx Brown
Software Ubuntu KDE Plasma, W11
Hello! I wanted to share my keyboard mod.

So the idea of this "mod" is to make your keyboard more low profile. If you have a keyboard with a bulky housing this is worth a shot.

Keyboard used - CoolerMaster QuickFire Ultimate MX Brown

NB! This is recommended for your old keyboard and will void the warranty! You are responsible for all of the damages that this could cause. If you have decent DIY skills you are going to be ok. The electrical part is relatively harmless. You are dealing with USB 5V circuits. Another thing to consider is that you might need to re-solder the power cord if it is not

What I did:

1. Disassemble the housing.

This is the main part - you are going to use your keyboard without the housing and cover parts that need protection. For me this was super easy on my CM Quickfire Ultimate, final part was removing the USB-C port from the housing which was super

Having overview of the internals you should get a pretty good idea how moddable your keyboard is. If your keyboard is in one piece like mine, I see no reason not to try

2. Covering circuitry. When you were able to recover your keyboard from the housing you want to cover a couple of places.

1.) You want to cover the bottom of your keyboard with a sheet of rubber or plastic. On the bottom, you have all of your MX switches solder points and you want to cover these. Easiest way to apply the cover with some double sided tape strips. These have quite effective clue on them and work very

2.) Cover all circuit board parts that have metal

3. Applying some cosmetics if you have something that you find distracting or

4. Add some feet to the keyboard to give an incline angle. I used double-sided tape for this but I imagine finding some feet isn't going to be

** This is a work in progress for me. I put minimal effort into it and like the results. Some minor cosmetic adjustments come next.

What are the end results? Why bother?

My keyboard is proper low profile now. It is way better to type on. It looks cool! The MX Browns sound way better for some reason, they had strange muffled sound in the housing. Now you have these nice mechanical sounds which is still MX brown, quite subtle. If I could have given this keyboard 7.0 / 10 before, now I would give it 8.5 or 9.0.

Does this work on your keyboard? Not sure but I am quite confident that this mod could work on the majority of mechanical keyboard with a plastic housing. The better built mechanical keyboard have a steel/alu support frame which makes the board stiff and this the reason why your keyboard is not flexing in when you type on it. I think it might be worth exploring, the board does not need the housing if it is made with the steel frame.

Thanks for reading. Let me know what you think?

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
wait no pics the inner part

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name Asus Ryzen 2700x Rig
Processor Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard Asus B450B Prime A
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34 AM4
Memory 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 (to be updated...)
Storage SiliconPower m.2 512GB, 2TB HDD + Crucial M4SSD + Kingston SSD V400 256GB
Display(s) 2x Dell UltraSharp 24"
Case Corsair midtower
Audio Device(s) Schiit Jotunheim Dac-Amp -> AudioTechnica MSR7
Power Supply Seasonic 520W modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Skeleton modded CM Quickfire Ultimate Mx Brown
Software Ubuntu KDE Plasma, W11
wait no pics the inner part

When you dismantle a mech.kb you are likely going to have it in 3 parts: the 1. top cover, 2. bottom cover and 3. the KB PCB should be all one piece (yes, including MX switches - soldered on to the pcb). There might be the USB connector that you need to get detached.

What you dont see on the picture is the bottom. It is just a plain PCB with solder points. Just do a web search to get the idea. You want to cover this part with something - sheet of plastic, sheet of rubber, plywood? It does not matter. You are dealing with super low voltages, you just dont want direct contact with conducting objects.

Why this mod makes sense is that the housing gives zero structural rigidty to the board, it's all the actual PCB sheetmetal top part that you see between the keys. The case gives it some IP rating and esthetics.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
When you dismantle a mech.kb you are likely going to have it in 3 parts: the 1. top cover, 2. bottom cover and 3. the KB PCB should be all one piece (yes, including MX switches - soldered on to the pcb). There might be the USB connector that you need to get detached.

What you dont see on the picture is the bottom. It is just a plain PCB with solder points. Just do a web search to get the idea. You want to cover this part with something - sheet of plastic, sheet of rubber, plywood? It does not matter. You are dealing with super low voltages, you just dont want direct contact with conducting objects.

Why this mod makes sense is that the housing gives zero structural rigidty to the board, it's all the actual PCB sheetmetal top part that you see between the keys. The case gives it some IP rating and esthetics.

You dont want to introduce esd from touch or the keyboard developing friction either