• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MMORPG's Today?

System Name ASUS ROG Zephrus M15
Processor AMD Rhyzen 7 4800HS
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) Geforce RTX 2060
Storage 1TB
Since I have been out of the game for awhile I am curious if there are any solid ones out there? What I mean by solid ... I used to play Guild Wars, Diablo, Warhammer Online.

Warhammer Online, probably the best game that almost was that I ever played. If they could have ever gotten the realm wars corrected instead of crashing servers when we were defending forts, it could have been absolutely amazing! Those were some of the best times defending forts and having 100's of people there fighting and running around ganking random stragglers out of their safe zones.

Is there anything like that these days?

Last edited:
perhaps black dessert.
this is a good video about upcoming ones the 4 min mark one looks enticing called ashes of creation and ive been waiting years for lost ark

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Black Desert is a grindy money sink. The heavy hitters right now are basically WoW and FFXIV. There's a lot of MMO-lite games--also known as Games as a Service games--in the form of Destiny 2, The Division 2, etc. If you're looking for a traditional MMO, those first two are basically it. You have some outliers like Guild Wars 2, but beyond that the MMO landscape is pretty empty these days.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
BDO is just big breasts with jiggle physics with a direct line to your wallet unless you have weeks and months of time to waste.

The ones you listed are still pretty much it.

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
Go back to playing Guild Wars from scratch.

System Name ASUS ROG Zephrus M15
Processor AMD Rhyzen 7 4800HS
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) Geforce RTX 2060
Storage 1TB
perhaps black dessert.
this is a good video about upcoming ones the 4 min mark one looks enticing called ashes of creation and ive been waiting years for lost ark

Great video ... now I am curious when some of those will actually come out. Yes that Ashes game looks like it could be good.

Black Desert is a grindy money sink. The heavy hitters right now are basically WoW and FFXIV. There's a lot of MMO-lite games--also known as Games as a Service games--in the form of Destiny 2, The Division 2, etc. If you're looking for a traditional MMO, those first two are basically it. You have some outliers like Guild Wars 2, but beyond that the MMO landscape is pretty empty these days.

Hmmm Guild Wars 2 still active? FFXIV, I might take a look at .. Never got into WoW as I had the other games above.

I looked into that ... but only supposedly like 500ish people on at a time, might be slim pickins for big raids

Go back to playing Guild Wars from scratch.

You think its worth it? Any major guilds still out there?

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
I've played Vindictus for ~7 years and finally quited it for good in mid 2019.

Supposedly its still alive but to be honest I wouldn't bother with it anymore due to many changes and its a big RNG fest with a lot of gear progress grinding end game wise. 'that is unless you pay2win'
Too bad cause I still think that this MMO has the most fun combat system.

Kritika online is also back on Steam after the first English relase version died out ~2 years after the opening, I wasted around 1 year there and now I simply don't trust them to invest time in it again.

Btw both Vindictus and Kritika are more like online dungeon crawlers and not full scale open world MMOs, also Vindi has a peer to peer hosting system which is just terrible.

Then there is Blade&Soul.
Also played that for a year + after it was relased on NA/EU, its more of a standard open world MMO but again kinda grindy at end game and you better have a guild if you want progress with Raids and such.
Combat system was fun imo, second to Vindictus.

For a free MMO story is actually not that bad, not sure whats the condition of the game nowadays since I did not play it in a long time.

I'm more or less done with MMOs and I almost only like the action stlye MMOS not the slow clicky ones like WoW and such.

I've tried Lost Ark on the Russian server and it was rather fun, its like an Asian Diablo Blade&Soul hybrid but it is a full scale MMO.
I think that will be the last MMO I will try for real once/if its its relased on the NA/EU market.

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
I looked into that ... but only supposedly like 500ish people on at a time, might be slim pickins for big raids
well considering fortress and city instances are capped at 2 wbs vs 2 wbs 500 at time are not that small number if they all are at t4.
mythic didnt showed up statistics but i guess it was between 500 and 1k t4 players per server at the time before they shut down official servers so 500 should be okesh

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm fairly active in Elder Scrolls Online. It's a great game and great fun.

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
You think its worth it? Any major guilds still out there?

Dunno about active guilds but you can probably solo the whole game(including expansions) if you wanted to with heroes.
Another decent semi-mmo game you can try out is Monster Hunter World + iceborne, though its not MMORPG per say but it has elements of MMO where you grind out materials to make better armor and weapons. The game visually looks like a "hack n slash" but its not, there is skill and patience involve when fighting giant monsters. The game is pretty much a constant boss fight with some story and some side quest you can do to acquire things, but the fun side of the game is being challenged by all the wide variety of giant monsters.
Best time to play MH now as they have finished all the DLC monsters and right now they have all the events active for players.
You can join random people rooms or if you're stuck on a assignment you can send SOS and hope for random people to join and help you.

System Name Violet
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming X
Cooling Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory G.Skill Flare x 32GB 3400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI 6900XT Gaming X Trio
Storage Western Digital WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 3440x1440
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 64bit
WoW is the biggest and the best MMORPG by far. Not one MMORPG comes close to WoW.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Would strongly recommend Guild Wars 2 right now actually. Its a solid, fun game in its own right, nice combat options to explore, nice progression/build/class system that doesn't want to go too deep but does open tons of options per class, and most importantly: NO tiered progression as you have it in most other MMOs.

Level progression is open for a large part. So if you step into this, you can really forge your own story, be your own character exploring your own world in your own way. No need to step into grinds either, unless you really want something specific, which then becomes a goal in its own right. You choose those goals, its not like they made you an endless path to walk down to 'git gud'. Your character level even gets matched to the area you're in.

When you hit max level, you can start exploring Fractals and other high level dungeons and raids to get your 'tiered' progression fix for a very minor stat bonus. That's all the gear has for you in tiers - you can simply craft your 'best' pieces on the spot with the right professions. Other than that, gear stats are simply differentiated by finding the perfect balance between stats and items that contain combinations of those stats. You can slot some gems in them to amplify that further but even that is not layered into infinity. The game also has a WvWvW and several PvP systems. The PvP is REALLY good, the game was primarily built around it.

If you're an MMO-vet and have seen it all, Guild Wars 2 offers the perfect cocktail of 'any and all activities' you would want, in a fun, well polished and highly dynamic combat system. You don't need several hundred hours to be king of the hill again, either. And its not a money sink either, there is a shop, but you really just want to not use it for anything other than cosmetic stuff. Its also, very importantly: NOT like WoW where you spend the first week or two catching up and then catapulting yourself to the casual grind everybody is doing ad infinitum. Been there done that, GW2 is more fun.

The quest content is immense in this game. You can solo the whole thing except for dungeons, and solo-ing the later world areas is a real challenge and contains tons of stuff to just 'do'... jumping puzzles for example. Maps also have lots of verticality in them, and some areas are really hard to get to.

Beyond the good old classics (WoW is still solid don't get me wrong... its just... WoW, and everything's already been done before, and no, you won't get the vanilla vibe again, I tried really hard :D) the MMO landscape is pretty much dead right now. The innovation has been done and reached its climax, the vast majority is just shameless money pit/copy material, and some great names have remained. MMO development is bottom-ladder game development now, not too far from what BDO is, grindy money pits with no guarantees.

Matter of fact... I'm triggered now. Installing... :D

Another notable 'explore the world and have fun' MMO I could probably recommend if it wasn't for the price tag which is far too high: Elder Scrolls Online. I played this since beta and on-and off with later expansions... but yeah. Had a rocky start and is still rocky, but the world on offer is amazing, until it starts feeling samey, which is when you cancel your sub and forget it fast. But while it lasts.. yeah. Worth. But where I would still today say 'invest a bit in GW2'... I could not say the same for Elder Scrolls Online. Bethesda's been having a laugh with its customers and it doesn't deserve a reward IMO. (They basically lifted a middle finger to paying customers and now we're all paying, you practically have to pay sub AND every content update while it was supposed to be B2P).

Dunno about active guilds but you can probably solo the whole game(including expansions) if you wanted to with heroes.
Another decent semi-mmo game you can try out is Monster Hunter World + iceborne, though its not MMORPG per say but it has elements of MMO where you grind out materials to make better armor and weapons. The game visually looks like a "hack n slash" but its not, there is skill and patience involve when fighting giant monsters. The game is pretty much a constant boss fight with some story and some side quest you can do to acquire things, but the fun side of the game is being challenged by all the wide variety of giant monsters.
Best time to play MH now as they have finished all the DLC monsters and right now they have all the events active for players.
You can join random people rooms or if you're stuck on a assignment you can send SOS and hope for random people to join and help you.

If we're going into 'instanced online', Warframe is another one of those wannabe MMOs that's still a great place to visit.

Last edited:
System Name Garbage / Trash
Processor Ryzen 5600X / 5600
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Ti / GB B550M Aorus Pro-P
Cooling Deepcool GTE / ID Cooling SE224XT
Memory Micron 32GB DDR4-3200 E-die @ 3600C16 / Ballistix Elite 16GB 3600C16
Video Card(s) MSI 2060 Super Armor OC / Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
Storage HP EX920 1TB Micron 1100 2TB, Crucial M550 1TB, Hynix P31 1TB
Display(s) Acer XB271HU @ 150Hz x2
Audio Device(s) JBL LSR305 + Topping D50S / iLoud MM + SMSL DO100
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W / G-series 650W
Mouse Logitech G304 x2
I haven't touched MMOs since 2012 but WoW's endgame had and always will be a grindfest treadmill that resets on next xpac.

I really liked GW2 in 2012 before the Ascended grind nonsense, where people just do things because it's fun per se than for the sake of making numbers bigger and bigger.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I haven't touched MMOs since 2012 but WoW's endgame had and always will be a grindfest treadmill that resets on next xpac.

I really liked GW2 in 2012 before the Ascended grind nonsense, where people just do things because it's fun per se than for the sake of making numbers bigger and bigger.

GW2 is back there again for the most part, the novelty from Fractals has worn off and people have their pink gear pieces ;) Lots of focus on narrative, new story content, open world areas/bosses, also with the expansions.