• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Driver Support

Valantic

A few months back I purchased an Alienware M15X. The specifications are:
- i7 740qm CPU
- Mobility Radeon HD 5850
- 8GB RAM
If you need any other information about my system, please don't hesitate to ask. When I first got the system I was having a weird problem where while I was watching digital videos (through VLC) the screen would freeze and eventually go black. I was very rarely able to recover from this and I had to manually shut down my computer and reboot to fix it. I was waiting for Dell to update their drivers, but that never came so I sought help elsewhere. Basically, I updated the driver through AMD, and it's been working great since. However, I bought and installed Crysis 2 today, and during the first loading screen, my computer freezes and goes to a black screen, just like what used to happen to me all the time. I have already uninstalled my previous drivers, and reinstalled the latest versions. After that didn't work, I decided to reformat my computer as it was getting messy anyways. After I finished that, which was a very lengthy process, and reinstalling Crysis 2, it still crashed during the first loading screen. I believe it is an error with the driver, because it is virtually the same problem I had previously, however I have updated the driver, to no avail.

TLDR: My system crashes during the first loading screen of Crysis 2. It freezes, and goes to a black screen. I believe it is a driver error, however I have updated my drivers, to no avail.

Thank you for reading this lengthy post. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I'm very frustrated to have bought this new game, and not be able to play it. I bought it through Steam, if that matters at all.

Thanks again,
Valantic

2DividedbyZero

i'll state the obvious then as you say you purchased the machine a few months back, what display driver is currently installed and have you tried the latest mobility 11.4? just google "cat 11.4 mobility"

Valantic

I updated my display driver before I reformatted, and it still didn't work. Then I reformatted and updated it again to the most recent on the AMD website, which is 11.2. 11.4 isn't out yet, officially. Should I try it? How safe is it?

2DividedbyZero

How safe is it?

how safe is it? what do you mean by that?

11.4 is probably the heineken of cat drivers right now. imo.

if you are still getting the black screens/crashes then i am afraid to say that your laptop "may" be faulty vga wise due to overheating by the sound of it.

Valantic

I don't know. I'm just worried. I'm pretty fed up with having problems over this computer. I'll uninstall my current driver, and install 11.4. I'll let you know whether it works, or not.

Edit: I tried to boot up Crysis 2 with the 11.4 driver, and it still froze and went to a black screen. So does this mean my laptop is faulty? The laptop is more than a couple months old, probably about 7 months, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

2DividedbyZero

install 11.4 over your current driver tbh, no need to uninstall previous one, i take it 11.2

Valantic

I had already uninstalled 11.2 and installed 11.4. I edited my previous post with the results of change. My computer still freezes, and goes to a black screen. Does this mean my laptop is faulty?

2DividedbyZero

it appears so. maybe return it to the place you purchased it from under warranty, explaining the issued you have.