1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

mobo compatible with ati?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by fuiop2000, Feb 26, 2006.

1. fuiop2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey i was looking at this motherboard, it says nvidia, will it be compatible with an ati video card:

MSI K8N NEO4-F

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Dynamic Guest

Doesn't make any difference of what it states, they are always compatible. Unless you buy a SLI board and try to run CROSSFIRE. Now that won't work because of the chipsets. If this is that board that i may recall, "NEO4-F" it might have problems running your AGP GFX CARD at full speed 8X. Not knowing from experience but some say you'll have to tweak it abit to get your GFX CARD working. Good Luck!

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    The board is running the Nvidia NForce4 Chipset. It will run an ATI graphics card just fine. I've never heard of the AGP aperature being limited as a result of this chipset, I'm pretty sure it will run at 8x. A large quantity of AMD compatible motherboards use this chipset, and I haven't heard of anyone having trouble installing an ATI card on the platform.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. FLY3R New Member

Thanks Received:
    It sure as heck will run good no worries.. unless the card conflicts with on board audio, lan, ect.. but even then thats not a big problem.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480

Thanks Received:
    Those conflicts could happen with any card. They are just software conflicts.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    or bios conflicts, its not uncommon for motherboard or chipset makers to release bios or driver updates to improve compatability with different periperals or hardware, not only Graphics cards, some boards or chipsets have compatability issues with hard drive brands, sound cards, TV tuners,

but at the end of the day, a PCI express or a AGP slot are standartized connectors which are designed by organisms in which ATI or Nvidia might have somewhat of an influence in, but at the end of the day, its a common design with basic implementation rules to ensure compatability.

in crossfire or SLI, its not the connetor which is propietary, its the actuall interface engine which makes both cards work togather which is the propietary part,

10 Year Member at TPU