1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

mobo dead?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by pdimar1, Dec 30, 2014.

1. pdimar1

pdimar1

Thanks Received:
    recently bought an msi 970 gaming because i fried a gigabyte and i tried it and it would not POST. cables are fine, psu has plenty of power, the mobo had lights on it and they turn on but nothing of a signal that its booting, hdd makes no data noise, no onboard graphics i tried 2 different videocards, tried clearing CMOS while power was off, anything would help

specs:

msi 970 gaming
    amd fx 6300
    gskill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    550w psu

2. jaggerwild

Thanks Received:
    First off try swapping any parts you can(CPU,PSU,MEMORY,ETC)Try the GPU in another PCI-E slot, do a FULL CMOS CLEAR 12 hours, remove the battery and apply the cmos jumper also un plug the power pony tail. The last computer you had, are you sure your parts are still good? Like to share what happened to it, may help us here? As it seems something you carried over is bad.............

3. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    The CPU or RAM is probably dud. When a mobo dies it will sometimes take stuff with it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  4. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    FX-series doesn't have iGPUs.

Unless you shot it with loads of voltage, or rubbed a cat on it, I'm curious to know how you did that.

Normally you do that when it's unplugged from the wall and off. Did you take the battery out too?

Sounds dead to me. Can you RMA?

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Well you need to list your parts correctly. Take the board to a shop and have them test it if you dont know how or have the parts to.

6. pdimar1

pdimar1

Thanks Received:
    took the board to the shop along with the cpu and ram in it, when i cleard the CMOS i didn't take out the battery (prolly shouldve done that), tbh the gigabyte board could be diagnosed more because its really doing the same thing as the new one so ill look at that more in depth, the website says the cpu is compatible, but nothing for memory modules but thats basic gskill memory so

another thing, the mobo had lights around it and they were on so how exactly could it be fried if its till getting power? different sections? im getting more info as i progress, this is my cousins build that i did for him and it lasted about a month and a half or so

7. pdimar1

pdimar1

Thanks Received:
    update: shop ordered another processor and tested it and turns out the fx 6300 died, thats a first for me seeing a processor go bad, but they want $230 for the new setup which is a joke im just taking everything back and buying a new processor

8. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    You would think as a shop they would have a CPU laying around to test a FX motherboard. I do and I don't even like AMD. I wouldn't trust that shop ether

9. Blue-Knight

Blue-Knight

Thanks Received:
    He could have thrown it in the oven and temperature was too high or he literally fried it in vegetable oil.

Sorry, I could not resist.

Toothless says thanks.
  10. Knoxx29

Knoxx29

Thanks Received:
    +1
    Totally agree.

11. CAPSLOCKSTUCK

CAPSLOCKSTUCK Spaced Out Lunar Tick

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt risk another mobo or cpu with that psu. Sounds like its frying everything you throw at it.