1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mobo or Case? Start and restart before booting

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by AbnerDoon, May 8, 2011.

1. AbnerDoon

AbnerDoon

Thanks Received:
    I have an Asus P67 Sabertooth mobo and a Antec P193 case. When I first power up it starts then shuts down and restarts then boots fine. I have the power plugged in correctly according to the board layout. To be on the safe side if the case was wired wrong I even tried reversing the position of the + and - connectors. But exact same issue is there. I am not sure what else to try at this point.

2. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    does it with my x58 RIIE, random - not every boot - but upto 3 restarts when I power on, sometimes it boots up 1st time - doesn't really bother me but I'd like to know what the cause may be - I presume it's o/c related.

3. freebie

freebie

Thanks Received:
    My machine only does that when over clocked, I thought it was a safety feature, when it was checking itself or something.

4. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    My gf and I were talking about why her computer does that a lot too, but it's hard to determine since not one part in there is the same as when it was built and it's been doing it the whole time.

5. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    actually, i think i know exactly what it is..

[​IMG]
    fecking gremlins :D

6. freebie

freebie

Thanks Received:
  7. AbnerDoon

AbnerDoon

Thanks Received:
    Ugh cross dressing gremlins at that those are the hardest to get rid of.

Well if this seems to be a built in oc check or somesuch maybe I will just ignore it. As far as I can tell it is not hurting anything.

8. lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    The problem has to be with the mobo.

Switches attached to the motherboard do not have a polarity. Switching the + and - will do absolutely nothing, because the switch does not remain "on" while the computer remains on (and completes a loop without any diodes). Consider that you hold down the power button for several seconds to do a soft reboot.

The simplest answer is that the bios on the motherboard is screwy. Try a reflash of the most up to date bios, and pray that it's that easy. If a newer bios doesn't solve your issue then the cause may as well be Gremlins.

9. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Or PSU . . . Gremlins in the PSU :laugh:

10. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Have you messed with something in the BIOS? I had this problem when I disabled Spread Spectrum on my ASRock.

11. AbnerDoon

AbnerDoon

Thanks Received:
    Not yet fresh build haven't even started overclocking yet. Was just monitoring performance and outside of this it seems perfectly stable.

-edit-
    Forget to mention the board has the latest bios and I did reflash yesterday. I also reset the cmos but no change.

12. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Ignore it. I had a few s775 boards & a socket A that did the same thing you described. 2 out of 3 of those boards are still alive n kicking.

13. jmarker New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the same board Sabertooth P67 Rev 3 with a Core i7 2600k overclocked at 4.5Ghz. My board started doing the same thing after I clocked it. It's been fine, but I'm figuring that's what it is. I press the power button, the case lights and PSU fan come on for about 3-5 seconds then it shuts off for about 3 seconds, then it will turn itself back on and boot just fine. I use an OC profile and I think that's what it might be. It boots into a non-profile, then finds the BIOS OC profile I made and reboots. That's just a guess, but I have zero problems with it. Knock on wood. I figured I'd subscribe to the board to let you know you are not alone.

14. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    well I found the reason my mobo would do this = 2 gfx cards fitted. It was bugging me so tried and tested a few things, took 1 card out and now it boots 1st time every time.

I guess it must be a power checking issue with 2 cards fitted, but as long as it works 100% then I guess it matters not :) just worth finding the reason.

15. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Happened with me loads of times on loads of different boards. It's always been the same in my situations: CMOS battery was dead. Replaced and all worked fine.

theJesus says thanks.
  16. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I used to have this problem and it turns out my shitty $3 PSU couldn't handle going from nothing to booting without taking a few seconds to warm up.

Got an actual PSU and haven't had the problem since.

17. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Interesting, I feel somewhat embarrassed that I didn't think of that :eek: :laugh: I might have my gf swap with some spares some time.

scaminatrix says thanks.
  18. user21

user21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats one of the second problem i had with my sabertooth, 2nt was abnormal temp of cpu and motherboard and the 1st one was same as yours, please update your bios to the latest one, i did so and got ride of this problem!!! ;)

19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its actually a feature on many boards, part of their protection against bad OC settings.

they boot up at stock clocks, then reboot with your OC settings. you'll notice that from a restart in windows, they dont re-test (powers on first time) again when this is the case.

theJesus says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  20. agamemnon New Member

Thanks Received:
    CMOS Battery

My Asus P6X58d-e motherboard developed this problem this past Saturday after Windows-7 (64 bit) crashed. It was a major crash, and I had to reinstall the operating system.

This is a relatively new motherboard. Also, the cmos is holding the date, time, and bios settings. Wouldn't this rule out a dead battery?

Please advise.

Thank you.

21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if its holding date and time even after unplugging mains power for a few minutes, the CMOS battery is fine.

10 Year Member at TPU