1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mobo Upgrade HELPPP

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by ali2487, Jun 24, 2006.

1. ali2487 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi ppl

i am lookin to get a new mobo

i dnt have a clue wich 1 to get i have around £150-200 to spend can i get a decent mobo? for that? and will it be any better than the one i haev atm?

please advise guys!

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I take it you're not going to upgrade your processor? Judging by your chipset I think you have LGA775, so let's get you an LGA775 mobo. I reccomend...this. W1zzard did a review on it and LOVED it, but if you're really into stuff like crossfire, invest in a slightly higher-end board. EDIT: Wait a minute, you're using a STOCK DELL? I'm amazed you got all that stuff in. I need you to do me a huge favor. Measure your motherboard. If it's somewhere around 12 inches by 9.6 inches, you can get the mobo I pointed out. If it is around 9.6 inches by 9.6 inches (or just plain looks like a square), I'll have to look into a different mobo for you. And I also need to figure out what graphics slot you have. Lemme know if you have anything other then PCI Express.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. ali2487 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i will let you know dimensions of current mobo buh wot do you mean by this? you're using a STOCK DELL? I'm amazed you got all that stuff in.?????

EXPLAIN mate :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. ali2487 New Member

Thanks Received:

i have been looking at the mobo but it seems a bit lower spec than the on ei currently have

atm my mobo will support upto 8gb ram, with posiiblity of installing 600mhz ram instead of the 533 the asus accepts!

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. ali2487 New Member

Thanks Received:
    jus finished measuring its 9.5 x 9.5 :-(

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    What I meant by "stock dell" was a dell case lol. You have such a nice collection of hardware, I didn't think it would all fit. But anyways...That means I have to find you a microATX motherboard. The reason the motherboard I had chosen out for you only had DDR2 533 was because you're using DDR2 533 RAM and I didn't think you were going to upgrade to DDR2 800 anytime soon lol. You'll probably want to buy a new CPU cooler too, because the dell one will only fit with dell motherboards. One more thing- before I just go shopping for you, do you live in the UK or the USA? Because last time I checked USA stores didn't ship to the UK :laugh:.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. ali2487 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok mate will do buh i am considering changing to AMD and need some advice on which 1.

i have read threads sayin dat they are much more efficient with their speed! than intel

so if you can point out to me a better setup than the one i have now then i mite go ahead and buy it!

and yes i am using a stock dell case dimension 5100 its crappy buh looks ok i ges lol

o yeh an im in UK and thanks for your help mate

also i would like a mobo where the PCI express x16 is away from the CPU (P4 heatsink) i had problems with my arctic cooler when i was upgrading my cooler and it was touching the P4 holder thing if you klnow what i mean!

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    For $200 (or Euros, if you live in the UK), you can't really get a new setup, unfortunately. Lets see, the best upgrade path I see for you is a new case, new motherboard, and new CPU cooler. THAT would quintiplify your performance (I don't know what quintiplify means either, probably has something to do with five :p.). Just guessing prices right now- new case would be around $50, new motherboard is around $100, new CPU cooler is about $30, factor in shipping and you're happy. And yes AMD is alot better then Intel...for now lol.

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. ali2487 New Member

Thanks Received:

how good will conroe be then mate?

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Conroe is going to (or has already) take the performance crown from AMD for a LONG TIME. So you might want to build a new system when that comes out. If you don't, here's a good config that I was talking about earlier, assuming you live in the USA.
    Case, Motherboard, and CPU Cooler. Comes out to $184 shipped anywhere in the USA. EDIT: Read your post a little more thouroughly, let me find these things on Ebuyer.com or something.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. ali2487 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok so i live in the uk??.................

id like to ask the P4 heatsink is that replaced if you buy and after market cooler with the heatsink provided?

only my present heatsink is held in place buy a plastic thing it came like this from dell

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I might be able to save you 30 euros if you can post a pic of your computer (stuff like mobo, VGA, CPU cooler...). Until then, here are links from ebuyer. Sorry about the mix up :eek:. Case, Motherboard, CPU cooler. Updated price is alot cheaper then newegg's quote, I suddenly see how much more valuble the Euro is then the Dollar.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. ali2487 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i will take pics but i duno if i can post em ere mite be too big!

buh anyway gime a cuple momonets!

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. ali2487 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i have pics!

have a look at them can you see that black piece of shit aroun the heatsink it holds it up!

Attached Files:

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Well at least it's efficient...but you will have to remove the heatsink and put the new one on. Sorry dude. Alright, here's the installation instructions on how to transfer all your stuff. First thing you do is take the case, take the stock I/O shield out, and put the one that came with your motherboard in (I/O shield protects all those plugs behind your motherboard.). Then put these things called "spacers" into the screwholes where you're going to screw in your motherboard. Then screw your motherboard into the spacers. If you forget the spacers, you will cook your motherboard and processor. After the motherboard is secured in your new case, plug in all the various case wires. Your case and motherboard manuals will tell you where to hook everything up. Then, put the CPU in. When the CPU is in, put the super-cooler I linked you to in, it should go in no problemo. Worst case scenario you install the CPU/CPU cooler before you screw the motherboard into the case. There should be good documentation. After that, transfer your power supply and hardware to your new case, and install everything. Then, press the on button. Your system should post. At this point, put the Windows XP Setup disk in. Boot from the windows XP setup disk, and then listen carefully. Press whatever button it is that you use to install windows, agree to licensce, and then when it detects your current partition of windows XP, hit "repair". That will repair windows XP so that it will actually boot. Then you're all set. Enjoy your new board :toast:.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. ali2487 New Member

Thanks Received:

ok so what are is I/O ans spacers im not a pro!

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I/O is short for those little plugs in the back of your motherboard. Spacers are little brass knobs that keep your motherboard elevated from your case. If your motherboard touches the shiny metal in your case, your motherboard fries :p. You'll see what I mean when you get the case.

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. ali2487 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok mate thanks for your help and time!

i will do a bit more research in how to install all dis crap n will get back toy you once i have made my NEW system!!!!!!!!!!!

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    One more thing! I advise that you upgrade your power supply, a stock dell cannot handle all the rigors of a powerful system like yours will be. This is the one I have and will DEFINITELY suit your needs. This one's a bit cheaper, and will do a very good job as well.If you don't feel secure putting this together yourself, have an experienced friend over and you'll tackle it together.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. ali2487 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i also forgot to tell you that i have an onborad NIC card which i use to connect to the internet so shud i get a PCI nic card?

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    No, all recent motherboards have onboard LAN. You might want to consider a soundblaster though, your onboard sound is crap ;). Other then that you're good to go.

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. ali2487 New Member

Thanks Received:
    but isnt that slowing my comp down like the onboard sound?

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    If it does, it shouldn't slow you down by too much. Though, if you really think that it's going to help performace by alot, go ahead and get yourself a LAN card and a sound card. I doubt you'll notice much difference except for pretty sounds.

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. ali2487 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi mate i was wondering will ANY sound card take the stress of processing sounds off my motherboard

i happen to have found a soundblaster pci card lying around in my house from my old computer!

10 Year Member at TPU