• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Mod: Scythe Mugen 5 + Wraith Prism hybrid

Processor AMD 2700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5
Memory G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @ 3200
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 570 4GB
Storage Inland 512GB NVMe
Display(s) LG 27UL500-W
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) My ears
Power Supply EVGA 500W
Software Windows 10
So what do you do when the stock AMD Wraith Prism isn't your cooler of choice, but you still want the look of AMD's shiny LED fan? You bring together the best of both worlds!

I recently upgraded coolers to the massive and quiet Scythe Mugen 5 (rev B). This cooler comes with one ultra-quiet 120mm fan, but it has the needed hardware clips to add a second fan to create a push-pull arrangement. One problem, the fan from the Wraith Prism has no mounting holes to receive the spring brackets. Well, I found a rather novel solution. I didn't photograph as I went, but here are my steps if you wish to try. As usual, mod at your own risk, but this one is pretty low-skill.

Step 1: Remove the fan from the Prism assembly by carefully unclipping it along the sides--it is just held on by plastic clips that fit into the notches of the aluminum fins.
Step 2: Flip the fan unit over, and back out the 4 screws at the corners.
Step 3: Take the spring fan clips and put the corner clips in the corners of the Prism fan assembly, between the screw holes and the outer case.
Step 4: Reassemble the Prism fan, tightening the spring clips in place. Don't overtighten, just go far enough that nothing is loose so you don't get vibration.
Step 5: Install the Prism fan to the front of the Mugen 5, and move the stock 120mm fan to the rear, making sure you have it pulling air and not pushing.

Notes: There may not be enough tension in the Prism fan clips, but this can be solved by either adjust the tension of these clips by bending them back a little, or, even better, put rubber pads at the corners of the fan to reduce any vibration.

Step 6: Configure your fan speeds in your BIOS or fan software as desired. Personally, I don't let the Wraith fan ramp up beyond 1500RPM, and I connected it to a motherboard header. The stock 120mm fan remains connected to the CPU header, and I allow it to spin to 100% when needed, as it is inaudible. It works well for me that this fan is right at the rear exhaust port of my NZXT case, so the heat is dumped immediately. Results seem just fine for me. The massive heatsink is doing most of the work anyway.

Challenges:
The one issue you will have is some cable management. The RGB cable is situated on the opposite end of the fan cable, and depending on where you want the AMD logo, you may have a cable sticking out. I hid the cable with black electrical tape. You can make it out in the photos, but with the window installed, it is not noticeable.

Finished product:
IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0741.JPGIMG_0742.JPGIMG_0743.JPG

Last edited: