1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Modded a PS3 Fat to take full size HDD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DaMulta, Apr 26, 2010.

1. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    Today I messed around with the PS3 fat a little.

I took it all apart down to nothing more, or less to see if I could get a normal HDD SATA drive to work in it.

After I got it all down I wondered how I could wire up a HDD to it. I really don't care if the HDD sets out beside it or not so I went with this way.

I took a Power SATA Cable that had two SATA power ends on it. Also I took a SATA cable, and then cut the top off of the ends. Along with the sides to the ends, Leaving male ends on both cables instead of the normal female ends. Then I plugged them into the connections inside the PS3, and hot glued them on so they didn't pop out very easy. Then I removed the HDD cage, because it got in the way when trying to put everything into place again. This could be down without removing the cage, but that would require fishing everything in threw the side(I just didn't care).

So now I have both power, and SATA connections outside the side of the PS3 Fat. It now takes full size HDDs, and I am going to order a cheap huge drive for it. Instead of paying for a high cost laptop drive:D.

I'll post pics later on(don't have my cammera ATM).

Anyone else ever do this?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    They make an adaptor to do this, called the HDXT: http://the-evil-genius.blogspot.com/2007/04/xecuter-ps3-hdxt-and-ide-to-sata.html

The adaptor is about $15.

The only down side is that it requires an external power source for the drive, which is pretty cheap also. I don't know why they didn't just use the internal power.

Nice job on doing it yourself though, that is impressive.

Edit: Anyone wanting to do this without taking the PS3 apart should be able to use one of these: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21139

That along with a standard SATA cable should easily connect to the connections inside the PS3, it might be a little tight though, so some trimming on the power cable might be needed to get both in there. That should allow you to easily use a standard 3.5" drive.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
    DaMulta says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  3. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    My HDD is failing in my ps3 fat, doing clicks... might do this :)

4. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm I figued they made an adapter, but they were so easy to make. Really all you do is cut everything off, but the connection. Which then just slides up into the female connector.

At first I was going to solder everything lol, but I thought there had to be an easier way about it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Busted out the web cam, and made another SATA adapter. It's the same for the power cable also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also can extend normal cables:p

[​IMG]

n-ster says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Thank you, that helps alot

DaMulta says thanks.
  7. DaMulta