1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

modem won't go online until...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by karolpl2004, Jun 12, 2007.

1. karolpl2004

karolpl2004

Thanks Received:
    hey guys,
    my friend got dsl internet. well i gave him my 2wire modem and he has the same problem i did when i first got it. the modem will not go online until a phone call using the landline is made. then the modem goes online (i know the modem is not bad becuase i took it to my other friends house and tested it). i had the exact same problem when i first got dsl and then somehow it fixed itself. i dont know if im right but i think the landline is not getting enough voltage thru the line for the modem to go online. when a phone call is made, the voltage increases. then when the phone is hanged up, the modem stays online for a few minutes and then drops the connection and constantly searches for a new connection... please help! its a 2wire 1000sw modem. i bought 3 of them and they have never failed me. do you think its the landline problem, or is the ISP still setting up the connection so its unsteady and it will get steadier in a few days?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably a little of both. Measure your line voltage, looking for around 56 volts DC. If it's lower than that than try to eliminate "dead ends" in the phone system and or eliminate unused jacks. Be sure and use the low impedance "snap" connectors for all wire connections/splices, they are available at almost every hardware store. One of the easiest ways to improve connection is to run a new Cat5e (or better) cable directly to the "Telephone Junction Interface". There are also a few tricks with DSL filters but they are complicated. Also, upon first connecting with DSL, the sysyem is in "test" mode and constantly checks your system making small adjustments to optimize your connection. However, the adjustments can not make up for bad(or old, or improper) wiring!!
    Check the ground wire at the TJI, no ground can also cause connection drops and issues. If not grounded - call telephone co.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
    10 Year Member at TPU
  3. karolpl2004

karolpl2004

Thanks Received:
    well i did that already... i went to the basement and measured the voltage at the main line. it was 50.25V constant. then i measured the voltage in his room and it was 46.73V so we drilled a hole and put a new line. then we remeasured it and it was 50.24V. i disconnected all the phones and that voltage didnt change. what are these dsl filter tricks you are talking of?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also try reversing the polarity of the phone line, this also helps solve connection issues(sometimes). Polarity doesn't realy matter with a phone line anyways.

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    BTW, did you log in to the 2-Wire Gateway IP and redo the setup. The connection was probably set up for the original modem supplied with the DSL service. Now that you have changed the modem the DSL sysstem will(and does) have problems with the wrong modem being connected to the current account. If you dont know the IP for the 2-Wire Access Gateway call the DSL provider and they will give it to you and talk you through the setup.
    If you do know the IP then sign in and run the setup wizzard, be sure to type in the serial number from the bottom of the Modem as described in the setup instructions. This may be your only problem since you have allready run a new stable connection wire. (hopefully you used good wire, not some lousy "doorbell" or "Alarm wire")!!

:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU