1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Modern Warfare 2 shock: No servers or mods for PC version!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nick89, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    HAHA, who buys pc games at gamestop!

thats for consoles man!

Just kidding, but seriously they have a weaker PC game selection than Target or Kmart.

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Yeah they do. Its more like 1 side of a small rack at Gamestop here in my town. Bestbuy or Fry's you have a like 2 whole sections.

3. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Just got a email from Gameservers.com since I pre-ordered a server. This is what there saying.

4. Anath

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the update. Let us know if they send you guys out an email if they know before Activision gives a public announcement

5. rpsgc

rpsgc

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
    Castiel says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Some thing i used to love about CompUSA loads of PC games.

I get mine from D2D these days as they started screwing PC users when they started to kill off EB. And blamed piracy for the lack of PC games and not having second hand games.

All though XBox games are just as much pirated than PC games are these days but they don't stop selling those secondhand..

I even got our PS3 from egg and waited a extra week for it just avoid those a holes.

7. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gamestop just doesn't see any profit in PC games because they can't resell them, thats what gamestop is all about resale, with the security measure pc games have today, you cant activate the key more than twice etc. they don't take trade ins of pc games they stopped a few years ago. and im pretty sure piracy is bigger on the PC than it is the xbox 360

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    103K now:)

but I don't get the feeling this petition will make them listen:(

9. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
  10. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    IW Officially Responds.

TheMailMans response: FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU

mastrdrver, rpsgc and Nick89 say thanks.
  11. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    IWNET is an Improvement?

I recently broke news on a PC community member’s podcast that Modern Warfare 2 would be introducing a completely new backend infastructure called IWNET that would allow matchmaking for multiplayer games on PC. The news, by default, means no more browsing through a Server List for a server with the settings / ping you want among other things, and sent shockwaves through the hardcore PC community, leading to many more questions than answers as to ‘HOW’ this would work, and if it would really be better for the PC community as a whole.

Questions, assumptions, and speculation I intend to dispel.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is actually the biggest investment Infinity Ward has ever made into the PC version of our games. It’s also the most feature-rich PC version we’ve ever made. IWNET takes the benefits of dedicated servers and allows them to be utilized and accessed by every player, out of the box, while removing the barrier to entry for players unaware of how to maintain a server on their own.

How does it do this?

Matchmaking & Smoother Gameplay: When you want to player a multiplayer game on PC, in the past. You’d have to scroll through a Server Browser which listed every available server which was hosted by individual server admins. Each had their own private rules, mods, or ways of playing the game. Most players would also use the server browser to find just the best quality game (based on PING). With IWNET matchmaking, it takes all that into account for you. All you have to do is select the playlist (pre-set gametypes with custom rules) that fits the style of play you are in the mood for. When you do, it will automatically find you a game with the best performance, ping, and preferences based on your location and individual connection as well as matching you with players of your same SKILL. So you’re always guaranteed the best game performance for where you are and what connection you’re playing on as well as an equal game with other players of your same skill level, not rank, but skill level. It doesn’t mean you’ll just be thrown into a random game! It will put you in the game that will give you the smoothest gameplay possible without you having to manually find a server with the best ping.

Playlists and Private Matches: As I described above, Playlists are pre-set game modes and gametypes for public games. If you just want to jump into a public game of Search and Destroy or Hardcore Search and Destroy and you don’t care about fully customizing it, then you can utilize playlists to do that quickly for you. However, say you’re in a clan and you want to play a Clan match with another team, or you want to practice for an upcoming tournament that has specific rules in a private game. Then you can start a Private Match (which is essentially like running your own private server) where you have complete control over the rules, who can join, boot players you don’t want, and essentially control the entire game or tweak it to your liking. Once the rules are set, you can invite the other team in or just start it up with your clan to practice with the custom rules before the match. This now allows you to play custom games out of the box without the need to install mods, find a modded server with the rules you like, or worry about not being in control of the match.

Party System and Friendslist: Modern Warfare 2 on PC also makes it much easier if you want to party up with your friends, or again, with your clan for a match. You can utilize the friendslist to see when your friends are online, and invite them to your Party. A Party allows you to move from game to game as a group. It’s great for clan matches, because you can party of with your clan and move from public game to public game together. Or if you’re doing a scrim, party up and invite the other clan (who is in a party) and they’ll all join at once. Set up a private match together and play. It makes setting up scrims or games with friends easier and hassle free.

Cheat / Hack Free Games: The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don’t have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep games clean of hackers and cheaters.

All in all, IWNET adds a load of new features that the PC version of our games have never had before and allows us an infrastructure to continue to update and improve on the game post-launch.

Source

12. TRIPTEX_CAN

TRIPTEX_CAN

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for saving me the $$$ IW.

13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

14. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    Can i just say... FUCK INFINITY WARD.
    Now thinking more rationally...
    they'll probably reverse this decision.

15. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok they make it sound like its a good thing. But theres no getting round the fact hosting games from your own pc requires a fast internet connection ( mainly upload )

How main people have fast upload speeds? Not many here in the uk thats a fact.

This downside wasnt mentioned i see !

16. DaedalusHelios

DaedalusHelios

Thanks Received:
    I bet its going to be as crappy as Left4Dead's matchmaking system. You connect to french servers when you are in the USA and get 1000 ping every once in a while. Or you connect to LAN's when you are searching th5rough the internet and it says "you cannot connect to LAN's server class C".

Nick89 says thanks.
  17. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    Exactly.

Let me just say this; MW2 is officially just a crappy console port. MEANT to be played by casual gamers.

Casual gamers have indirectly ruined MW2.

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    In the PC world we like to customize things ourself. We dont need IW making the decisions for us. Most of us are competent and if we couldnt make these decisions we would be playing on a console instead of playing on Hardware we built. It was a nice jester but the PC community is plain and simple not that dumb.

19. Anath

Thanks Received:
    +1

20. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So have people who steal games. :ohwell:

Really, I don't care. There are plenty of options for my entertainment dollar.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Nailezs

Thanks Received:
    with ow Castiel described the matchmaking service im muss less inclined to be angry with IW about this. it seems that we will be able to do the same things we were already doing, except for the mods. and while i understand the concern of people who have slower internet connection...that doesnt apply to me.
    now, while i dont agree with what they have done, i do like(mostly) how they have modified their matchmaking service, as the current filters just SUCK!

22. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    WTF, all of this, first of they rip our money with they stupid $60 price and now the ycome out with this bullshit,yep i'm definitely won't buy this game, it's really fun playing COD4 with my clan but now they have gone.

23. rpsgc

rpsgc

Thanks Received:
    rpsgc adds: FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU some more, IW!

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    +1

will i be the only one sticking to CoD:MW?

25. rpsgc

rpsgc

Thanks Received:
    No, I'll keep you company :p
    (though I might buy WaW)

10 Year Member at TPU