• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Modern Warfare 3 Sets Record for Biggest Entertainment Launch

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
COD MW3:The day-one sales for Call of Duty MW3 amounted to an estimated 6.5 million units sold in 24 hours and totaled $400 million in just two countries, the United States and the UK:eek:

BF3:EA only provided us with the one-week sales numbers for Battlefield 3. Those numbers amounted to 5 million copies sold in a week, and that’s worldwide.:banghead:

So, there you have it. BF3’s one-week worldwide sales were record-breaking for EA, but they weren’t even enough to match MW3’s day-one totals in two countries.:respect:

Call of Duty once again holds the top entertainment launch spot, as it has in 2009 (CoD MW2 )and 2010 (CoD Black Ops) :nutkick:

Next time just highlight your whole post and hit bold, you don't need to bold every sentence separately, seems you aren't too adept with the PC :laugh: I don't think anyone expect BF3 to outsell MW3, if they did they were insane. I didn't expect BF3 to be as close as it was, 5 million units is a shit load, I don't care if it was 1.5 mill less, it's still a ton, and closed a huge gap compared to BC2 sales. And I don't know about you, but I judge my games on gameplay, not on sales figures, though it is nice that BF3 brought gameplay and sales figures to the tables, sometimes it's hard to find servers with enough room for a few friends to join on me.

Lets be fair, BF3 needs to be fixed on many fronts.
-C2D issues
-game always crashing on 1st launch
-randomly kicked from the server
-activation issues
-memory issues
-stuttering issues
-orange/red/green flashing issues
-tedious use of Origin + FF/Chrome + plugins just to play BF3
-etc

While MW3 doesn't have such issues. Although not perfect their game day launch was pretty typical of what one would expect from a game. Perhaps that may have played a part of why it sold so well and it's still being played by many.

Having said as such, it's not the technical merits of BF3 why it doesn't compete with MW3. Neither was it do to the amount of marketing. It's the perception of how people see products from EA and how they see products from Activision. It appears that they trust Activision more. And so far, they are getting what they are expecting from them. Can the same be said about EA? Or will the response be "you need a 64 bit OS"?

It's not too hard to quash bugs when you been copy and pasting new maps on the same platform for almost half a decade. Most people I know play BF3 without any of those issues, they are out there, and yes links to as many threads as you want is fine, because people who are having issues will make threads, there is no point in making a thread if your game is running great.

I'd just rather have the dev's trying to push the boundaries and having some bugs slip through vs using a 5 year old engine and giving us nothing new.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
whole post, awesome. +1 billion internetz kurgan :)

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
More on the point of the "best-selling game ever".

I read that the "classic hits" the current generation knows from the 50s and 60s were almost always NOT the #1 songs at that time.

First of all, you have the fact that the crap from previous eras gets forgotten, leaving only the great stuff behind. Those songs on classic rock stations are obviously cherry-picked as the best and most indicative of an entire era; it's not a random sampling of all the music available at the time. Modern rock or pop stations, on the other hand, have to play whatever's come out in the past six months or so. So there is a filter applied to the old stuff. Even most of the music in Mozart's day was bullshit. And because it was bullshit, nobody felt the need to keep copies. And what was preserved isn't played today. Because it's bullshit. So it's easy to look back at Mozart's era (or the 1960s, or whatever) and assume that because only the classics survive in our memory, everything made back then was a classic. The other problem is we assume that what gets remembered over time is whatever was the most popular. Not true.

For instance, what survives from the Vietnam era (thanks mostly to Vietnam movies) are songs like the badass protest song "Fortunate Son" by Creedence Clearwater Revival and "Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones. Both were released in 1969, after the war started going bad.

Now look at the Billboard year-end singles charts from 1946 to today. The top song in 1969? "Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies.

This is what is happening with Call of Duty. After World at War (which has a Broken Base - what's a "Broken Base"? Check tvtropes.org) it all went downhill in a "games to remember" sense.

System Name 9th Level
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI X570 Carbon wifi
Cooling EK Basic 360, x2 250mm, x1 140mm, x1 120mm fans.
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz.
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 12GB FTW3
Storage 500gb ssd, 2tb ssd, 6tb HD.
Display(s) MSI 27" Curved 1440p@165hz
Case HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Software Windows 10 64bit
ಠ_ಠ

Bobby kotick has successfully found a way to make gamers eat their own shit over and over AND enjoy it.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Because it takes brains to play BF3, yet only reflexes (or patience for camping) can get you by in CoD. Most of those who buy CoD are kids (or adults for kids), who are mostly in it for the adrenaline rush (Or the sake to annoy us real adult gamers :rolleyes:)

And please cut down a little bit on bold typing. It's giving me a headache.

Edit: I'm a CoD fan. Yet I too believe Activision should stop f*cking us all up, and make a decent game for once. Instead of recycling the same good ol' game.

really? it takes brains? so BF3 requires that I use my brain more so than CoD??

try again. BF3 isnt any harder to play than CoD. it is just a different game so it has a different style of gameplay. sure the gfx are recycled and shame on Activision for that, but that doesnt make it a bad game

also, just because lots of kiddies play it doesnt make it a bad game- it only means it is very popular. it has gained so much popularity due to its' solid gameplay and the simple fact that it runs well on consoles

Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Case Montech Air X
Mouse Logitech G304
Software Windows 10
it has gained so much popularity due to its' solid gameplay

Yes, it has "solid gameplay" but that doesn't really set it apart from other FPS with "solid gameplay", like the Battlefield series.

and the simple fact that it runs well on consoles

Yeah, this is actually the primary cause of it's popularity.

System Name THE CUBE 2.0
Processor Intel i5 13600k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z690 EDGE DDR4
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK 2x T30-120 Fan mod mount
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 3200 MT/s C15 32GB 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti 11GB OC: Core 2GHz, Mem 5.7GHz
Storage WD SN770 250GB / 3x WD SN850X 2TB / Toshiba X300 4TB / 2x RAID1 Toshiba P300 3TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" Odyssey OLED G95SC 240Hz 5120 x 1440
Case "THE CUBE" Custom built, pure Red Alder wood
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT 880
Power Supply Corsair RM1000X
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
I feel for the graphics. That's the only thing that stops me from MW3.

s{orpion

Call of Duty vs Battlefield

yes, Call of Duty is a GREAT game!

i have played them all since first Call of Duty launch waaaaaay back!
(yes, i am THAT old lol)

However, it is sad to see them beating out Battlefield.

Battlefield offers larger maps, better graphics, distructable environments,
realistic physx, 4x the unlockables, vehicles (land, sea, and air),
better classes, better weapon variation, and FAR better squad/team play!

again, Call of Duty is good... but it is not even half the game of Battlefield.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
too high a total end cost for my likeing, ive passed activision a lot of money and they jus want more so im done with em, their Dlc structure sucks balls too, 4maps inc 2 stale ones for 12 quid isnt fair x4 prob 5 this time round

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
ಠ_ಠ

Bobby kotick has successfully found a way to make gamers eat their own shit over and over AND enjoy it.

CoD is anything but shit. Some day it might turn to that, but not yet.

You might not like it (I know I'm not a big fan) but the games are pretty solid (especially in MP) and that is pretty danged hard to ignore.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
I believe that many of the elements from BF2 did in fact hurt the sales of BF3. Such as:
-no real squad leader that can give orders/way points
-no commander
-no in game voip
-no in game ping
-way to many assets to unlock
-huge chat box
-flashlight and sun too bright, too much blue tint and the contrast is to high
just to name a few. What I'm getting at is those elements that made BF, BF. Then people had to fight them just to get a broken command rose that doesn't have ammo/medic request. Then they had to fight them to get squads half way decent. You still can't name your own squad, kick/request people to join, etc.
-no mod tools
-no spectator mod
-chat box should be similar to Bf2/BC2 were teammates are one color, squad mates are one color and enemies are another color
-no battle recorder

Although a long list, they did fix the hit registration :p. But one thing I loved about conquest from BF2 was that you had to capture enemy flags. That is what true conquest was for me. And it was done in a way were you would inevitably come face to face with your opponent. When defending you had the pick of the litter of where you wanted to spawn. This is what the current maps don't offer when in conquest. Although metro comes close it's sectioned off.

Like I said, when you play MW3 you know what you are getting.

- There is a squad leader and he can give orders and everything. People online are stupid and just don't. Play with more TPU people.

- In game VOIP build into Battlelog site. Works just fine. As it is independent of servers, it doesn't affect their lag which makes it better than BF2.

- No sure what you need in game ping for, but ok. And there is no commander. got to give you those two.

- location of markers and the chat box do need to be adjusted and resized

- Blue tint? That is your monitor. Do you remember the sun? It is suppose to be bright. Its the SUN. Just like glare and dust should get in your eyes. While it is a game it is trying to be a realistic shooter.

- We didn't have to fight anyone. They did not work in a BETA. IT WAS A BETA. I can request ammo and stuff without the comma rose. I still find it to be too slow to use in active combat. And the squad system works fine. So what you can't name the squads. You can't do that in the real military either. And you can kick people out of your squad, though you can't send invites.

- We are getting mod tools later on. nothing stopping them from adding battle recorder later. Spectator mod will likely be added for the first tournaments.

- The chat messages are different colors based on everyone (white), Team (blue), and squad (green).

Did you play this game? It sounds like you are basing your "opinion" off of stuff you read online by bad reviewers.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
I feel for the graphics. That's the only thing that stops me from MW3.

not me. I remember back in the day when I first started playing FPS. I first started with Counterstrike and I would play that game every day. I played the hell out of that game for years and loved every minute of it. Valve eventually came out with CS:S and I moved on to that and played the hell out of it. I do this with every FPS I enjoy until I get bored of the game and start looking for a different feel. sometimes, that involves RTS, MMO, RPG or even another FPS

I agree that BF3 brings a lot to the table that CoD doesnt but it is fucking retarded for people to bash CoD just because it is so popular and/or they dont like it. again, shame on Activision for not spending more money to accomplish so much more possibilities in greatness. but, just because they are raking in on their cash cow doesnt take away from the fact that CoD has some really fun gameplay. when I say this I am referring to PC gameplay because I havent owned a console since 2003

System Name 9th Level
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI X570 Carbon wifi
Cooling EK Basic 360, x2 250mm, x1 140mm, x1 120mm fans.
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz.
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 12GB FTW3
Storage 500gb ssd, 2tb ssd, 6tb HD.
Display(s) MSI 27" Curved 1440p@165hz
Case HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Software Windows 10 64bit
CoD is anything but shit. Some day it might turn to that, but not yet.

You might not like it (I know I'm not a big fan) but the games are pretty solid (especially in MP) and that is pretty danged hard to ignore.

I'm not really saying its shit, but it is the exact game as before. they keep releasing the same game.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
It's not too hard to quash bugs when you been copy and pasting new maps on the same platform for almost half a decade. Most people I know play BF3 without any of those issues, they are out there, and yes links to as many threads as you want is fine, because people who are having issues will make threads, there is no point in making a thread if your game is running great.

I'd just rather have the dev's trying to push the boundaries and having some bugs slip through vs using a 5 year old engine and giving us nothing new.

You're not seeing the point being made in my post nor did you answer the question at the end of it. Perception is reality. That means how you are initially perceived will be how you are categorized. It's not necessarily judging you. It's what people do. So to say, "oh well it can be fixed" is really missing the point. MW3 launch was smoother then BF3's launch. Albeit not perfect it was playable. BF3 on the other had isn't playable and many have to revert to some odd tweaks to get it to work or just deal with it until it's patched. Saying that BF3 runs fine for some is simply a farce. There have been way to many thread/posts about the game stopping bugs to suggest that claim is simply not true.

As for pushing the boundaries for some bugs...I'm sure you wouldn't want that in a vehicle you may purchase or the medicine you need. Because in those examples safety, reliability and it's ability to actually work as intended are a priority. It's just that many view games the same way. I understand that you don't care as that's what your post implies. However, there are others who do and they obviously are voting with their wallet to let you know.

- There is a squad leader and he can give orders and everything. People online are stupid and just don't. Play with more TPU people.

- In game VOIP build into Battlelog site. Works just fine. As it is independent of servers, it doesn't affect their lag which makes it better than BF2.

- No sure what you need in game ping for, but ok. And there is no commander. got to give you those two.

- location of markers and the chat box do need to be adjusted and resized

- Blue tint? That is your monitor. Do you remember the sun? It is suppose to be bright. Its the SUN. Just like glare and dust should get in your eyes. While it is a game it is trying to be a realistic shooter.

- We didn't have to fight anyone. They did not work in a BETA. IT WAS A BETA. I can request ammo and stuff without the comma rose. I still find it to be too slow to use in active combat. And the squad system works fine. So what you can't name the squads. You can't do that in the real military either. And you can kick people out of your squad, though you can't send invites.

- We are getting mod tools later on. nothing stopping them from adding battle recorder later. Spectator mod will likely be added for the first tournaments.

- The chat messages are different colors based on everyone (white), Team (blue), and squad (green).

Did you play this game? It sounds like you are basing your "opinion" off of stuff you read online by bad reviewers.
Your post isn't reflective of what you are trying to imply. Squad leader functionality is broken. You can't effectively community with your squad via voip and you can't set way points to let people know what you want to do. You can't invite or kick people from your squad. Furthermore, the 1st one to create the squad should be squad leader. Heck, you can't even join an empty squad as you are auto joined. These are basic features.

As for voip itself this title needs it in game. Something that console gamer currently enjoy using. So that's also broken.

Ok, I get it you don't care for in game ping but it's essential to let you know how well you are doing in game. It's part of that information that will tell you if your lagging, if your hits will register as it should, etc.

The blue tint is from the game not the monitor LOL. It's obvious you don't know much and it shows in your reply. Here, have a look at their final color grading. That is what Dice calls it :p.

It's the SUN, LOL really? For a game it's not suppose to blind you while you are not directly looking at it. Compound that with the amount of contrast it makes it hard to see. You have a blinding sunlight and pitch black shadows and other dark places. It needs to be fixed and I believe they are adjusting it in the patch. And to further solidify the point Crysis did the same thing without blinding you vs BF3! Or will you say that they somehow did it wrong, LOL. Yeah, your point is moot.

Your beta point is whimsical at best. Why? Because those points were fought before the beta. You get it now, LOL.

There has been no announcement of a release date for mod tools/spectator mod, battle recorder, etc. Have you been paying attention to current events? Where have you been all this time?

The chat message box can only be fixed properly when the blue tint or final color grading is removed. Have you been playing the game? Have you research any of the wrong points you posted? I take it you haven't. Have a look at the difference between BC2's chat box vs BF3's chat box.

BC2

BF3

Do you see the blue tint now? LOL, and that's just a portion of the chat box. BC2 color coding for chat is better then BF3 and should use what BF2/BC2 used. Not only the color coding but the organization of the chat box for BF2/BC2 is better then BF3.

While you post misleading information MW3 doesn't share any of the concerns people have for BF3. Yes, it's a reused engine, yes, the graphics are similar and even the maps are similar but the game is playable and enjoyed by many. If Dice had refined, fixed, tweaked and used FB 1.5 for BF3, provided more elements of BF2, fine tune the game after the beta, had the beta much earlier, fixed the bugs, removed the blue tint, reduced the contrast, etc. Thus providing a much smoother bug free release without battlelog, origin, web browser plug ins, been available on Steam, etc I would assume it would have really competed against MW3. But that didn't happen.

I really think that one of the main reasons why people like MW is because after the game is released there is no major overhauling to nerf weapons. Sure they may have been some fine tuning here and there but what you initially bought will be the same game you play months after release. I call that reliability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fx

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
Yes, it has "solid gameplay" but that doesn't really set it apart from other FPS with "solid gameplay", like the Battlefield series.

Yeah, this is actually the primary cause of it's popularity.

It does not set it apart, from any other FPS series.

It sets it BESIDE other FPS genre's, like BF.

Criticism in fine words is still criticism.

Everybody needs to realize how the COD boundaries have changed, period. The game is marketed slightly one way, but now there philosophy and strategy is different.
COD is now in the realms, of NBA 2k, Fifa, and other sports games.
There going to pop them out like babies, there not going to change much, and there going to be decently developed games.
COD was fine tuned from mw1, and set for success as previous titles has made this ever more true.
Now its around the last 2 years or so, before a new console jumps out to slap them, so there going to try to take advantage of this series as much as possible, by releasing yearly titles like NBA 2k ect ect.. are known for.

Whats the deciding factor of COD franchise loosing this barrier, when the new consoles come out. Someone is going to have to engage in real development period. So we will either see an amazing increase and development in the COD series.
Or they release a title, that will not compete with anything else and crash and burn.

Right now they have the right to do yearly release, even if the prices are a little outrages. Its not really considering realism from the realms of any other FPS. Its more arcade and up to date. Consider it a NBA 2k series. Probably what there thinking right now.

Last edited:
Case Montech Air X
Mouse Logitech G304
Software Windows 10
It does not set it apart, from any other FPS series.

It sets it BESIDE other FPS genre's, like BF.

Criticism in fine words is still criticism.

"FPS" is a genre. How can a genre have a separate genre? :confused:

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Meh not into this game at all .

CyberDruid

System Name Shop Dog
Processor E8400
Motherboard Asus Blitz Formula SE
Cooling d-Tek FuZion
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 G Skill
Video Card(s) EVGA 7900 GTX
Storage 150GB VelociRaptor
Display(s) Acer 21.5 1080p LED Back Lit Monitor
Case Working on it
Audio Device(s) PCI SoundMax
Power Supply Silverstone 750 Modular
Software XP Pro SP2
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 11.56s 1M at 4050mhz
Satan is pleased

Case Montech Air X
Mouse Logitech G304
Software Windows 10
I agree that BF3 brings a lot to the table that CoD doesnt but it is fucking retarded for people to bash CoD just because it is so popular and/or they dont like it. again, shame on Activision for not spending more money to accomplish so much more possibilities in greatness. but, just because they are raking in on their cash cow doesnt take away from the fact that CoD has some really fun gameplay. when I say this I am referring to PC gameplay because I havent owned a console since 2003

I never really thought of CoD as a "fun" game. Maybe "easy to learn" or "short learning curve" but definitely not "fun." Counter-Strike is still that "fun" game. I still remember playing for 2 hours in a LAN shop against various people, it was CS 1.3 I think. It was usually 36v36 but sometimes it reaches 42v42 (meaning all the PCs were playing in that map). I vividly remember my score then, 146 kills and 39 deaths. :D

I got nothing against MW3 as a game. But imo I don't think I should pay full price for what is essentially a DLC. It's a mappack with skins and new perks. If the game was $30 I'd probably buy it.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
I never really thought of CoD as a "fun" game. Maybe "easy to learn" or "short learning curve" but definitely not "fun." Counter-Strike is still that "fun" game. I still remember playing for 2 hours in a LAN shop against various people, it was CS 1.3 I think. It was usually 36v36 but sometimes it reaches 42v42 (meaning all the PCs were playing in that map). I vividly remember my score then, 146 kills and 39 deaths. :D

I enjoy the MW series for nothing other than the smooth reflex-based gameplay. CS maps were based around the same thing and used simple objectives to make the matches more dynamic. MW has improved upon that. I have gone back to CS 1.3 about a year ago and just couldnt get into it after experiencing a much more refined experience but CS has a special place in my fond early-gaming days...

I got nothing against MW3 as a game. But imo I don't think I should pay full price for what is essentially a DLC. It's a mappack with skins and new perks. If the game was $30 I'd probably buy it.

I definitely see your point of you. my approach with every one of the MW games has been to buy the vanilla release and play it till I get bored. I never buy any of the DLCs because I can get into plenty of action without them

Last edited:

araditus

Dead serious, Counter-Strike is still the best, most balanced, pure FPS in history. Save money get gun, no air strikes, its your eyeballs, your reaction time, your tactical decisions, vs someone elses.

Admitingly its not an arcade game like the Call of Duty franchise,and Battlefield would be such a better game without EA micromanaging its customers (origin) passed on it for that sole reason.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Your post isn't reflective of what you are trying to imply. Squad leader functionality is broken. You can't effectively community with your squad via voip and you can't set way points to let people know what you want to do. You can't invite or kick people from your squad. Furthermore, the 1st one to create the squad should be squad leader. Heck, you can't even join an empty squad as you are auto joined. These are basic features.

As for voip itself this title needs it in game. Something that console gamer currently enjoy using. So that's also broken.

Ok, I get it you don't care for in game ping but it's essential to let you know how well you are doing in game. It's part of that information that will tell you if your lagging, if your hits will register as it should, etc.

The blue tint is from the game not the monitor LOL. It's obvious you don't know much and it shows in your reply. Here, have a look at their final color grading. That is what Dice calls it :p.

It's the SUN, LOL really? For a game it's not suppose to blind you while you are not directly looking at it. Compound that with the amount of contrast it makes it hard to see. You have a blinding sunlight and pitch black shadows and other dark places. It needs to be fixed and I believe they are adjusting it in the patch. And to further solidify the point Crysis did the same thing without blinding you vs BF3! Or will you say that they somehow did it wrong, LOL. Yeah, your point is moot.

Your beta point is whimsical at best. Why? Because those points were fought before the beta. You get it now, LOL.

There has been no announcement of a release date for mod tools/spectator mod, battle recorder, etc. Have you been paying attention to current events? Where have you been all this time?

The chat message box can only be fixed properly when the blue tint or final color grading is removed. Have you been playing the game? Have you research any of the wrong points you posted? I take it you haven't. Have a look at the difference between BC2's chat box vs BF3's chat box.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/eastcoasthandle/BF3/BFBCchatbox.jpg
BC2

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/eastcoasthandle/BF3/BF3chatboxbluetint.jpg
BF3

Do you see the blue tint now? LOL, and that's just a portion of the chat box. BC2 color coding for chat is better then BF3 and should use what BF2/BC2 used. Not only the color coding but the organization of the chat box for BF2/BC2 is better then BF3.

While you post misleading information MW3 doesn't share any of the concerns people have for BF3. Yes, it's a reused engine, yes, the graphics are similar and even the maps are similar but the game is playable and enjoyed by many. If Dice had refined, fixed, tweaked and used FB 1.5 for BF3, provided more elements of BF2, fine tune the game after the beta, had the beta much earlier, fixed the bugs, removed the blue tint, reduced the contrast, etc. Thus providing a much smoother bug free release without battlelog, origin, web browser plug ins, been available on Steam, etc I would assume it would have really competed against MW3. But that didn't happen.

I really think that one of the main reasons why people like MW is because after the game is released there is no major overhauling to nerf weapons. Sure they may have been some fine tuning here and there but what you initially bought will be the same game you play months after release. I call that reliability.

Seriously, I have nothing against MW3. If that is what people want to play, fine. Its not my flavor of game. You are projecting really really hard as i didn't even mention MW3 in my post, so i am not sure why you feel the need to attack me about it. You let your fanboy show there. I was going to PM this so we could privately discuss this, but F^*& that noise.

And You can't have played BF3. Once again, you can give orders. The first person in a squad is squad leader. You can move to an empty squad now. You can kick people from a squad. I know all this because I have done it. You are talking about stuff you don't know about. In game VOIP I have not tried to use so i don't know and way points are gone (I never really used them). So everything you just said there for the second time is based on the BETA and NOT the final release.

I didn't say I didn't care for in game ping. I said I don't need it. I saw my ping before i joined the server. I don't need to be kept up to date about it, but thats me. BF3 is a server based system and your ping will not change much during play. They have even tweaked this further to remove the auto ping adjustment BS from BC2. You do need in game ping for a direct connect system like Modern Warfare as the person you connected will have a far less stable connection than a dedicated server. Ping in game good for MW3, not important for BF3 what so ever.

And while you want to claim I don't know much, you don't know how to calibrate your monitor. That blue tint you are talking about does not exist in my game cause I corrected any odd colors. Whoever took those pictures is techincally savvy, but a bit of a tosser.

And as for misleading. MW1 and MW2 did get several rebalances for weapons and bug fixes. The difference is, you had to pay for the required update in MW2 and it still never fixed several major bugs and exploits. I don't hold this against either title because stuff happens. Every single game needs maintenance. It is the longest part of the software cycle for a reason.

As for the sun not blinding you because its a game??? Really, that is your defense? Once again, for the second time, BF3 was going for a realistic environment. The Sun can blind soldiers in real life, they have the tech now to do it in game, so they did it. Its not a plus or a minus, its just a fact. I personal think including those kinds of touches is what makes BF3 the game it is right now. The one you know nothing about apparently.

I recommend you stick to what you know in this matter, put the fanboy away, and have a simple forum discussion about MW3 breaking this record.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
Seriously, I have nothing against MW3. If that is what people want to play, fine. Its not my flavor of game. You are projecting really really hard as i didn't even mention MW3 in my post, so i am not sure why you feel the need to attack me about it. You let your fanboy show there. I was going to PM this so we could privately discuss this, but F^*& that noise.

And You can't have played BF3. Once again, you can give orders. The first person in a squad is squad leader. You can move to an empty squad now. You can kick people from a squad. I know all this because I have done it. You are talking about stuff you don't know about. In game VOIP I have not tried to use so i don't know and way points are gone (I never really used them). So everything you just said there for the second time is based on the BETA and NOT the final release.

I didn't say I didn't care for in game ping. I said I don't need it. I saw my ping before i joined the server. I don't need to be kept up to date about it, but thats me. BF3 is a server based system and your ping will not change much during play. They have even tweaked this further to remove the auto ping adjustment BS from BC2. You do need in game ping for a direct connect system like Modern Warfare as the person you connected will have a far less stable connection than a dedicated server. Ping in game good for MW3, not important for BF3 what so ever.

And while you want to claim I don't know much, you don't know how to calibrate your monitor. That blue tint you are talking about does not exist in my game cause I corrected any odd colors. Whoever took those pictures is techincally savvy, but a bit of a tosser.

And as for misleading. MW1 and MW2 did get several rebalances for weapons and bug fixes. The difference is, you had to pay for the required update in MW2 and it still never fixed several major bugs and exploits. I don't hold this against either title because stuff happens. Every single game needs maintenance. It is the longest part of the software cycle for a reason.

As for the sun not blinding you because its a game??? Really, that is your defense? Once again, for the second time, BF3 was going for a realistic environment. The Sun can blind soldiers in real life, they have the tech now to do it in game, so they did it. Its not a plus or a minus, its just a fact. I personal think including those kinds of touches is what makes BF3 the game it is right now. The one you know nothing about apparently.

I recommend you stick to what you know in this matter, put the fanboy away, and have a simple forum discussion about MW3 breaking this record.
This thread is about MW3 not BF3 which indicates that you are the fanboy. I'm just keeping the discussion on topic here. Yes, MW has had tweaks and I've said as much but the gameplay is essentially the same. All the points I've made to you were to get you to see why MW3 has done well :p. Not to cater to a MW3 vs BF3.

And you have to admit a lot of your points were rebuffed by the examples I've provided. The blue tint is there. The blinding sunlight is a problem when compared to crysis. The squad leader doesn't do much to promote team play, etc all point to what people don't like about the game and could possibly explain why they prefer MW3 even though it's dated (some believe it to be a rehash of MW2).

MW3 isn't about team play, it never was. It's pure run and gun/lone wolfing and that's what people like. BF3 on the other hand should be all about team play and some of the team play elements left out the game needs to be added back. You think those elements are fine but I tell you that people don't agree with you.

So it's clear we won't agree but what can't be argued are the results. MW3 sold over twice as much as BF3 and there is no denying that. Although the reason will vary it's clear that a bug free, fun game that caters to what people like goes a long way in making a game popular and profitable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

Off Topic , but i just have to say, on BF3 how do you get blinding sunlight in a tunnel, The main problem in BF3 for me is the light from gun torches or whatever it is, it is really stupid, if someone is pointing it towards you, you cannot see feck all, it needs fixing.

On topic, well done to activision, i may well end up buying this too.

Anyone see this?

UK Campaigners Trying To Get Modern Warfare 3 Banned

http://www.itproportal.com/2011/05/25/uk-campaigners-trying-to-get-modern-warfare-3-banned/