1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Moniters: HDMI or DVI?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Atnevon, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    So I was browsing, and happen to see a few moniters that now have HDMI as a connection type. "Hmmm, could it be better" I thought to myself.

I thought. DVI has been aout a while, and the home TV market is boooming with HD sets. Maybe a new technology shift is out there.

Before making moves, let me know what you think. I would guess HDMI, nthough newer, wont be as good as DVI. I could be wrong.

What's ya'll 2 cents?
    -Andrew

2. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Hdmi is more towards plugging in video devices to your monitor, such as game consoles, or high def disk players. But for computers, stick with dvi.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Both can produce 1080p signal and HDMI as a connection type is far more fragile than DVI.
    However its not bad to have HDMI so if you could get a monitor with both DVI and HDMI that would be the best thing.

4. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Get both if you can, if not get DVI.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    dvi and hdmi are the same thing basically, its the same digital singal, the only difference is that hdmi can carry sound. so if use an adapter, you're not gonna get your sound, but you'll get your video. if your monitor can take hdmi, its probably got built in speakers.. i myself for tv's prefer hdmi over dvi just because you have everything all in one cable. as for monitors. it depends on what your monitor takes.

6. bravura New Member

Thanks Received:
    HDMI ports

HDMI and DVI have the same video quality. Both are 100% digital.

I personally like the old sytle DVI connector. They were bigger, but you definatly had much more robust connection with it since they had thumb screws to hold it down.

HDMI is small like USB, so you need to be careful.

You probably should get a HDMI input because that will ensure that you can get both audio and video. And HDMI probably means that you are getting a newer model which will support HDCP.

You should try to get a monitor dispaly that has more than 1 HDMI port. Because almost all HD sources, video cards and etc now use HDMI to carry the HD digital video.

I have a older LCD with only 1 HDMI port, and I have to connect my HD sources thru a HDMI switch in order to select from multiple HDMI sources.

But most new sets now have at least 2 or 3. I go with at least 3 HDMI inputs if possible.