• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitor Problem: Horizontal Lines/Tearing: LCD problem or Power Supply?

abc619

Hello everyone,

So I have a monitor that I stupidly bought for $65. And the problem it has is that after about 10 minutes use, the screen will start to show these horizontal lines that go across the screen and would look like some REALLY bad tearing and some static or noise in those tears.

I just wanted to get a second opinion to see if any of you fine knowledgeable fellows might know if the problem is with the LCD screen itself, or the power supply inverter. I know its a problem with one of these components because I took it apart and if I whack the back of the monitor, it will fix the issue, albeit temporarily.

Below I have a picture of my monitor's specific power inverter (for those of you who are curious). I could go out and purchse a new one ($45), but I'm not sure if it would fix the issue.

Below is a picture that I photoshopped to simulate what the tearing sort of looks like:

So I could have power supply inverter replaced (costs $45). But if the the LCD screen I'd rather not get a power supply inverter forget about this monitor all together..

For those who thought it was too long to read:
Problem: LCD lines tearing (see spoiler 1). And I already spent $65 on this thing.
Question 1: Is the problem with the LCD panel, or the power supply inverter (see spoiler 2)
Question 2: Is it worth getting a new power supply inverter ($45) if it fixes the problem? Or should I trash this monitor?

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
That picture is not of your monitor's I/PB, is it? That one looks to be recapped, and with Panasonic FRs, no less. Looks decent, no heat damage. Are you ready and willing do disassemble the monitor and provide pictures of the I/PB and MCU PCB?

The fact that a whack solves the problem, even for a couple of minutes, probably means you just have a cold solder joint somewhere. If you have a soldering iron handy, and are willing to post detailed (as sharp as possible) pics of both PCB undersides, perhaps we can spot the potential candidates for a touch-up?

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
This issue is most likely due to caps having gone bad. Lucky for you, it is an easy inexpensive fix.

You need to check to see if the caps are exploded, even a little bit, on the sides, or more predominantly the top.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
That picture is not of your monitor's I/PB, is it? That one looks to be recapped, and with Panasonic FRs, no less. Looks decent, no heat damage. Are you ready and willing do disassemble the monitor and provide pictures of the I/PB and MCU PCB?

The fact that a whack solves the problem, even for a couple of minutes, probably means you just have a cold solder joint somewhere. If you have a soldering iron handy, and are willing to post detailed (as sharp as possible) pics of both PCB undersides, perhaps we can spot the potential candidates for a touch-up?

Yeah could not agree more that it sounds like dry joints due to what you stated that he has to knock it to make it work correctly..

Good thing easy to fix just might take some time finding it. If you cannot see one might be worth getting the high res camera on it and checking the pics after.

Good Luck..

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
A magnifying glass is your friend.

EDIT: If you happen to have sometthing like this, even better.

Last edited:

abc619

The power board inverter shown is the same model as mine, i just found it off some website. Same caps and stuff based on the colors of them.

But I did manage to take out the power supply board and I did not find any bad/blown capacitors. And looking at the underside, I couldn't find any cracked solder joints.

I could replace some of the capacitors thought since I'm at school and my school has a shop where I could get some replacement capacitors and solder/desolder some stuff.

But now I think I made things a bit worse. After I took the board out, I put it back in the monitor and tried to turn the monitor on, hoping that maybe taking it out/putting it back in would fix it.

Now the monitor LED indicator light turns on for about 5 seconds and the screen stays black. After about 5 seconds, the screen quickly flashes and then the indicator light turns off. And it repeats. I think I might have knocked a capacitor out of place, or one of the larger components (like the transformer or inductors)? Does this turning on/turning off sound like something I can easily do with a soldering iron and replacement capacitors?

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
The caps are most likely just fine, I wouldn't worry about them too much.

As for the on/off problem, it seems like you made a short somewhere, and it's tripping the protection IC on the Inverter/Power Board. Probably the output that goes to the backlight inverters. The power supply on there has two rails, and most likely they are 5V (to the MCU) and 12-15V (to the inverters). If you have a digital multimeter available, you could check the output value of both, to see where the problem lies. Also, try turning your monitor on without fully assembling it, but make sure everything is insulated properly, and that you absolutely do not touch the live AC part of the PSU! If the monitor works this way, probably some leads are touching metal parts and shorting out.

abc619

So I had the chance to replace the caps to fix the horizontal line problem.

I've included pictures of the inverter board for those of you who are curious. Also please excuse my poor soldering job, I did this before class so I was in a hurry. I plan on resoldering some of the when I get the chance.

But as for the power issue, how would I use a multimeter to check if there is a short somewhere. What exactly should I be looking for?

GIF of the current issue powering on/off, click on link to view