• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Monitors won't go to sleep... Why?

what about any ''wake on '' like in the bios wake on mouse, keyboard ect... settings ? like maybe the controller is all ways active in use or not ? heck I would also check if its using the internet as well ...lol....these days that would not surprise me at all

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
.I dont know what the controller had to do with the monitor not going 2 sleep
Probably System polls/checks Peripherals periodically and that was keeping system awake.

rick_fox

I just solved my problem with my monitor not going to sleep. firstly i would recommend doing ALL the other checks that r recommended here,ie making sure that the power option is not set 2 NEVER , ect,ect.
so this what i did #1 i set the power option to 1min. ( the min.) so as i checked dif things i didnt have 2 wait a long time(i also used a stopwatch)
#2 i unplugged diff peripherals ,1 @a time, waited the 1 min 2 see if my monitor would go 2 sleep . I use a controller 4 some of my games, so when i unplugged the controller my monitor went 2 sleep after 1 min.
I know that most of u dont use a controller but its the testing the diff peripherals that might solve your problem .The use of a controller had also caused a problem with my Steam launch, causing it to take up to 2.5 min to launch.I dont know what the controller had to do with the monitor not going 2 sleep but its now been 3 days with no problems.
I hope this helps some of u with this issue.
Aztec.
OMG, I can't belive this. A few days ago I updated my 1050Ti to the latest 400+ drivers. I thought my problems started since than but now I see I was wrong. I read your post and unplugged my usb gamepad. And than...I was shocked :) . Monitor went to sleep after 1 min of inactivity. I have decided to register on this forum just to say: "Thank you very much for that info". Greetings

iWarnock

I killed every process associated with the Gigabyte motherboard software and sure enough, the monitors went to sleep as they should. I then went into investigating what part of the software package was causing it and that's when I discovered that the Gigabyte motherboard LED software was always doing something, always had CPU usage. I killed just that process and sure enough the monitors went to sleep just as they should.

Just made an account to thank you for the solution, this was driving me insane.. haven't buld a pc for more than 5 years and rng fusion in my z390 mobo was keeping the monitors on, you think they would fix the issue before launching a new mobo but they haven't lol

System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Motherboard MSi H110-PRO-D
Cooling LC-CC-95 @ Arctic Cooling fan
Memory 2X Crucial DDR4 2400 4GB
Video Card(s) Integrated HD 610
Storage WD 500 GB + Seagate 500 GB + Toshiba 3 TB
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) Manhattan Flex BT Headphones, Encore P-801 stereo speakers
Power Supply Corsair CX450M
Mouse microsoft office mouse
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores gorstak @ hwbot.org
I cleaned my screen with some rohypnol and it went to sleep after that, but I think it was because of 15 min inactivity set in power settings, not because of roofie...

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
USB hubs can prevent sleep states too. There's a power option tick box you can check/uncheck under Device Manager USB Host Controller to try to fix that.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
a) Why they should go to sleep? I love my monitors being on "online" when I return from shop
b) something triggers that something is active.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Power saving and prevent screen burn in.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Just made an account to thank you for the solution, this was driving me insane.. haven't buld a pc for more than 5 years and rng fusion in my z390 mobo was keeping the monitors on, you think they would fix the issue before launching a new mobo but they haven't lol
Welcome to TPU!

I created an account for that propose too, I need to try this solution too.
Just to try make it clear for those who don't understand the issue:

I've built a Desktop with Gigabyte B450M-DS3H with Athlon 200GE, working as APU (integrated GPU).
It is connected to my display (BenQ GW2470H) via HDMI.

I've set the turn off screen to 1 minute to test it out:

1548772571775.png

Windows does turn off the image after 1 minute, but then the display shows the message as computer would still sending image but only shows a blank screen (black screen with backlit on) only.
The display should go to standby right away this happens. But no... It stays like this until 15 minutes pass through and then goes to sleep, only when this happens is when display goes to standby, turning off image completely.
If I move the mouse or tap on keyboard, it wakes up again as it should.

My monitor used to behave as it should when I have my laptop connected via HDMI. But now when I started use this new desktop configuration and it started to misbehave.
I didn't test the OP solution yet but I've already unistalled AMD drivers, reinstalled it and nothing changed. I think it's something concerning Gigabyte motherboard configuration or its software on Windows.
Hope this makes it clear to everyone.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
As an update to this issue that I had, Gigabyte has finally fixed the stupid issue with their RGBFusion program. Go to your motherboard's support page and go to the Utilities section and download the latest version which should be version 2.0 B19.0116.1.

System Name My Ryzen 7 7700X Super Computer
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling DeepCool AK620 with Arctic Silver 5
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 EXPO (CL30)
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 GRE
Storage Samsung 980 EVO 1 TB NVMe SSD (System Drive), Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB NVMe SSD (Game Drive)
Display(s) Acer Nitro XV272U (DisplayPort) and Acer Nitro XV270U (DisplayPort)
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH C
Audio Device(s) On-Board Sound / Sony WH-XB910N Bluetooth Headphones
Power Supply MSI A850GF
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Steelseries
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/liwjs3
Yeah I had that set properly but due to some bug in RGBFusion it was actually preventing Windows from thinking that the system was idle.

Lactic68

@Aztec, you are saving my day ! I'm using two different joysticks for Farming Simulator 19 and this was the issue. Joysticks are similar to gamepads and prevent screensaver, sleep mode and monitor sleep mode.
A big Thank you !!

I solved the issue by acquiring a USB switch with on/off buttons on it to turn off joysticks or gamepads and it works perfectly fine !

PhilG

Hello everyone!

Creating an account and resurrecting this post (again!) to say thank you for this wonderful discussion :)

I had a similar issue with my laptop never going to sleep... Most of the time even the lock screen wouldn't come up unless I manually locked it. And after that, when on lock screen, it's like there was something preventing the screen from turning off... You could clearly see the screen light dim after a while, like if the monitor was soon going to turn off, and then 1 or 2 seconds after the monitor would fully light up again, like something was preventing the monitor from turning off...

I was about to go crazy on this, my laptop would stay on forever unless I manually shut it down. If it was unplugged, this was fully draining my battery down. All the power settings were correctly set. There was nothing in the wake logs. I unplugged the mouse because I suspected a vibration issue. I tried to unplug more peripherals. I uninstalled some software unsuccessfully... etc...

Then after reading many forum posts, I ended up here and saw the OP solved his problem by removing the nVidia Experience software. I did not have this software installed or any other special nVidia software except the nVidia Display Driver (in Control Panel > Programs). Gave it a try and uninstalled the nVidia Display Driver from Control Panel and bam! Problem solved! Monitor will turn off and computer goes to sleep as expected!

However now, I am running without the nVidia Display Driver in Control Panel > Programs... but everything looks fine. Is it mandatory to install the drivers nowadays or is Windows able to figure it out?

Thanks!

System Name Project Neverending
Processor i9 9900K @ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula XI
Cooling Corsair HX 150i Pro, Corsair ML 120/QL 120 fans
Memory 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 2080Ti
Storage Samsung 970 Evo NVMe, 2 Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 (3440X1440), Samsung U28D590 (3840X2160)
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX X-Fi, Logitech 5.1 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000i
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Updates coming soon ®
You can install standalone drivers without the NV experience crapware. head to NV site and hit the drivers page.

PhilG

Like I said, I did not have nVidia Experience or any other fancy nVidia software. The only thing I could see was Control Panel > Programs > nVidia Display Driver and I removed it. I was wondering if I should be worried about anything, because so far, everything is working fine!

filoppi

Hello everyone!

Creating an account and resurrecting this post (again!) to say thank you for this wonderful discussion :)

I had a similar issue with my laptop never going to sleep... Most of the time even the lock screen wouldn't come up unless I manually locked it. And after that, when on lock screen, it's like there was something preventing the screen from turning off... You could clearly see the screen light dim after a while, like if the monitor was soon going to turn off, and then 1 or 2 seconds after the monitor would fully light up again, like something was preventing the monitor from turning off...

I was about to go crazy on this, my laptop would stay on forever unless I manually shut it down. If it was unplugged, this was fully draining my battery down. All the power settings were correctly set. There was nothing in the wake logs. I unplugged the mouse because I suspected a vibration issue. I tried to unplug more peripherals. I uninstalled some software unsuccessfully... etc...

Then after reading many forum posts, I ended up here and saw the OP solved his problem by removing the nVidia Experience software. I did not have this software installed or any other special nVidia software except the nVidia Display Driver (in Control Panel > Programs). Gave it a try and uninstalled the nVidia Display Driver from Control Panel and bam! Problem solved! Monitor will turn off and computer goes to sleep as expected!

However now, I am running without the nVidia Display Driver in Control Panel > Programs... but everything looks fine. Is it mandatory to install the drivers nowadays or is Windows able to figure it out?

Thanks!
I also had the same problem, you don't need to uninstall GeForce Experience, all you need to do is disable the "in game overlay" setting. But I noticed something weird, GeForce Experience only prevents my monitor from going to sleep if I have a DualShock 4 controller plugged in, if I either disable the "in game overlay" or unplug my DS4, my monitor will go to sleep normally.

Snakes1000

Well, after many weeks trying to find a solution to this filoppi has solved it for me. I just went into settings in the GeForce Experience app, disabled the "in game overlay" option (left side of screen) and Boom! - fixed!

Last edited by a moderator:

hanyakabawii

I'm facing the same problem here, even though my Laptop is Turned off by Shutdown and LID is off my External monitors still keep awake overnight searching for input ,, also sometime they shows that they will go to standby mode in 4 minutes after that they keep searching for input again I used to use my external monitors for about 2 month before this issue happened recently
I need to know if that is an issue with monitor's hardware or could be fixed through the laptop itself, also I talked to the support and try a lot of solutions but nothing worked

note: this message still appear even if the monitor didn't connected to any media input which means I have to cut the power manually
View attachment o4do536j85r81.webp

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I'm facing the same problem here, even though my Laptop is Turned off by Shutdown and LID is off my External monitors still keep awake overnight searching for input ,, also sometime they shows that they will go to standby mode in 4 minutes after that they keep searching for input again I used to use my external monitors for about 2 month before this issue happened recently
I need to know if that is an issue with monitor's hardware or could be fixed through the laptop itself, also I talked to the support and try a lot of solutions but nothing worked

note: this message still appear even if the monitor didn't connected to any media input which means I have to cut the power manually
View attachment 242637
Just turn them off